HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Active/Changes/Realistic?

Old
04-22-2013, 11:05 AM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Active/Changes/Realistic?

Article by fourth period came out this morning i don't have link and quoted Trotz saying the Preds are going to be active and have to address size and player similarity. Goes into the make up of a good
house.

What do they realistically have in mind?

If you were the GM how would you make the Preds a playoff team that can be a true threat for a conference title or cup?

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:11 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Article by fourth period came out this morning i don't have link and quoted Trotz saying the Preds are going to be active and have to address size and player similarity. Goes into the make up of a good
house.

If you were the GM how would you make the Preds a playoff team that can be a true threat for a conference title or cup?
Sounds like he's talking about Blum/Ellis to me.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:28 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
house.

sounds to me like he's saying we need something other than the Fisher/Legwand 2-way grinders.

we need to replace Erat with a proven NHL player and we need a #1C who can center a scoring line

a second pair defenseman would be nice too.

be interesting to see what Poile can come up with... Im pretty sure ownership isnt going to allow a passive summer after this years performance.. plus Poile is near the end of his career and I imagine he'd like to make a splash before he departs...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:32 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
sounds to me like he's saying we need something other than the Fisher/Legwand 2-way grinders.

we need to replace Erat with a proven NHL player and we need a #1C who can center a scoring line

a second pair defenseman would be nice too.

be interesting to see what Poile can come up with... Im pretty sure ownership isnt going to allow a passive summer after this years performance.. plus Poile is near the end of his career and I imagine he'd like to make a splash before he departs...
This could be true too.

Doesn't help we have so many guys that are really the same like Halischuk, Spaling, Yip, SK, Smith. They might play different styles but the production is the same.

It's going to be interesting next season.

I think Fisher, Legwand, Gaustad, Wilson, Bourque and Beck are the only close to sure things on the roster next year for now. And Fisher/Legwand/Gaustad aren't 100%.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...-causes-crisis

This article has all of Trotz' relevant quotes on the matter. I think we'll draft with a focus on offense and try to lure a UFA forward here. Other than that, I think you'll maybe see a trade involving Blum/Smith/Ellis/SK in the offseason, but I don't think we'll make a seismic shift in the trade market.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:14 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

What is the free agent pool looking like for this offseason? Any top line forwards that the Preds could possibly land?

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
What is the free agent pool looking like for this offseason? Any top line forwards that the Preds could possibly land?
http://capgeek.com/free-agents/

There's a list of all of them, sorted by salary this year. A lot will re-sign, however.

My boldish prediction is that we trade Legwand.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
ribeiro, horton, and roy.. that's about it. although im not sure they are definite top line solutions. they need talent around them.. something we lack

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Take a look here:

http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder?position_id=F

EDIT: T6S posted when I did heh

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
ribiero.. that's about it
Horton, Clowe, Ryder, Elias, Bozak, Roy, Stalberg, Raymond, McDonald and Penner would all be decent options for lines 2-3.

Sterit, Zidlicky, Ference, and Leopold are the top Dmen. If we sign one, Streit is the best option.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I would LOVE to find a way to draw Guy Boucher here as an assistant coach. He and Trotz would compliment each other very well. Doubt he takes a non-head coaching job though.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:27 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Horton, Clowe, Ryder, Elias, Bozak, Roy, Stalberg, Raymond, McDonald and Penner would all be decent options for lines 2-3.

Sterit, Zidlicky, Ference, and Leopold are the top Dmen. If we sign one, Streit is the best option.
check edited post.

and he asked for top line forwards.. you just said lines 2-3 .. lol but yeah there are some decent secondary options.

id really like to get stalberg.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
check edited post.

and he asked for top line forwards.. you just said lines 2-3 .. lol but yeah there are some decent secondary options.

Yep me too - like his game.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
check edited post.

Stalberg would be a great addition. Not a top line option, but a nice cog to throw into the middle of the lineup. Stakes fast, plays hard. Horton still should be option #1 IMO. I want two of Horton/Clowe/Stalberg/Bozak/Raymond if possible, plus Streit. Move SK and Legwand depending on who we sign to either move up in the draft or solve defensive issues or whatever.

No one in this class is a real top line option. Those just don't hit the market often anymore.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

A) I would be shocked if Elias even hit free agency
B) If Elias does hit free agency...

Seriously, I love Elias. Great player and teammate.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:38 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
A) I would be shocked if Elias even hit free agency
B) If Elias does hit free agency...

Seriously, I love Elias. Great player and teammate.
he's approaching 40. probably not the best solution for us.

Factor in that next year's lineup likely features FF and whomever we pick in the first round this season. Any one of Drouin\Mackinnon\Barkov\Lindholm is likely NHL ready.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

elias is getting too old for me.. still a great player but at this time for where the franchise is at, we should be looking at younger options.. stalberg, roy, horton.. even ribeiro's age is becoming a problem

Old
04-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Predator119

I would love to get Stalberg and Clowe. Speed, size, grinding ability, and some scoring. Horton gets injured a little often for my liking.

Predator119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:08 PM
Predator119

Can you imagine Fish with Clowe on his wing? The other team will require a lot of ice bags every night

Predator119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:17 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't get why everyone wants to move Fisher or Legwand, the return would be that great. What we really need is for one to be a 2nd line center and the other a third line center to do that we need to turn Spaling/Gaustad into a true line center.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:29 PM
lstcyr

Well, there's always Matthew Lombardi

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:00 PM
braindead

On the defensive side, not much is needed. Streit would be a terrific solution to our second pairing although he is on the backside of his career and not wt he once was. For the life of me, I cant see why Poile kept Gill as he looks worse by the game, isn't solidifying our PK and has no chance to use his mythical beast mode if aren't in the playoffs. I would jettison him and kep working with Blum and Bartley. Blum looks to be on the same development path as Kevin Klein and I would not give up on him. Trade Ellis or let him develop... whatever.

For goaltending, we need a very solid backup and Mason aint it.

Trotz is correct, our forward corp is a mess of redundancy.

At center, Spaling/Legwand/Fisher are fighting over the #3 center role.

Yip and Clune are neck and neck as the energy reject from the Stanley Cup champ.

SK and Smith are fighting it out for the ineffective floater role.

Hali/Gaustad/Mueller/Butler all want to be the best "wishful thinking" Poile move in the last 5 years but something has to give. Besides, Hali/Mueller/Butler are all fighting to be the guy that Trotz never likes even when they do ok.

In all seriousness, though, we could be set at center- agree with Trig that you need Fisher/Legwand as 2/3 not to trade them. Wilson/Fisher/Legwand/Gaustad could be adequate down the center.

For my taste, Spaling/Butler/Yip are redundant and any replacement needs the speed to forecheck relentlessly- that's the key to generating turnover for scoring and protecting our D. I think a lot of our problems this year can be attributed to not being able to apply that pressure (Ward/Fiddler/Tootoo/Smithson were all fast and hard on the puck in a way that Smith/Yip/Butler are not).

To end the rambling, there are a variety of interesting and mostly untried line combos including my personal favorite:

Fisher-Spaling-Legwand (the mother of all shut down lines aka the "go ahead and throw me out of the faceoff circle... see if I care" line). Stay with me here. If Wilson plays C on the first or second line and Gaustad keeps the 4th line, then we only need to add one center (Roy perhaps) to make this work. It might just make the most of our screwed up situation with these three. I think it would free up some goals from the two playing wing as well.

Other potential untried lines:

Beck-Wilson-Bourque (power/speed, altough it requires Bourque to flip to RW)
Smith-Wilson-SK (the pass it to Smith line... Drouin would be a nice Smith replacement on this line)
Beck-Fisher-Hornqvist (3rd line crashers)
Bourque-Wilson-FF (I'm willing to try almost any Bourque/Wilson combo).
Beck-Gaustad-Hornqvist

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
he's approaching 40. probably not the best solution for us.

Factor in that next year's lineup likely features FF and whomever we pick in the first round this season. Any one of Drouin\Mackinnon\Barkov\Lindholm is likely NHL ready.
Elias put up 78 points last season at 36 and is on pace for ~60 this year in a full season despite the Devils being pretty mediocre. I'd definitely throw him a Semin-like deal for 1-2 years and see what happens. With all the youth we are using at forward, I think having another solid veteran would work well. The Oilers ice a ton of young, talented forwards and it doesn't really work too well.

This is all a pipedream though as I doubt he leaves NJD, and if he does, I doubt NSH is a preferred destination.

More realistically, I'm on board with the Clowe / Stalberg train. Stalberg has to be one of the fastest skaters in the NHL; he might actually work in our dump and chase system.

I like Vinny Prospal a lot as well; not super high end talent, but he is pretty solid. I'd like to replace SK with him.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I don't get why everyone wants to move Fisher or Legwand, the return would be that great. What we really need is for one to be a 2nd line center and the other a third line center to do that we need to turn Spaling/Gaustad into a true line center.
Agreed. They're a solid 2/3 pairing up the middle, and are still going to be better than most of our options if forced into a top 6 role. Ribeiro is a head case, and would quickly wear out his welcome here.

Also find it interesting, after all the drama over players not wanting to be here, that we would advocate trading one of our "lifers."

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:23 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator119 View Post
Can you imagine Fish with Clowe on his wing? The other team will require a lot of ice bags every night
that combo would hit alot but never score.