HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Power Play..

Old
04-24-2013, 04:48 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

vCash: 500
The Power Play..

It's become time for this to be addressed. In the beginning of the year, we converted almost every PP and it was a major reason why we won many of our games.

In the second half of the season, things have turned the complete opposite way. We barely ever convert on a PP anymore. I almost wish it worked the same way as football, where we could decline penalties because I think we're better off 5 on 5. In the playoffs we are going to be playing very good teams, and we will need to convert on the PP if we plan on having any sort of success. Thoughts?

Last edited by 2ndGenIslander: 04-24-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo
2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Cavonnier

I don't know enough about hockey to diagnose what's wrong with our power play, and I'd like it if someone who knows more about Xs and Os to offer their opinion and suggestions.

That said, our first power play last night killed our momentum. We were getting good pressure and then had a dreadful power play. Momentum swung in favor of the Hurricanes after that. So not only are we failing to score, our effete power play is causing detrimental momentum changes.

Cavonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:07 PM
iLandHer

The powerplay clicked at an incredible rate early on, which is normally how it goes. I had to come back down to earth a little bit.

However, there are flaws with the PP right now. Streit and Vis basically do the same thing at the points, which is bad since neither defers or they both defer too much from taking the point shot.

They gain entry into the zone horribly and cannot get the pucks that go into the corner on a dump in if JT doesn't get their first. You can't gain entry into the zone going at a snails pace.

Lastly, they just aren't making good decisions. Shooting when they should pass, passing when they should shoot. JT is coming more and more out to the point, rather than to the corner/behind the net where he had more of his success. He's such a threat from down there and it forces the PK to collapse and open up the points for those booming shots.

And one more tid bit, I don't ever ever ever ever ever want to see Matt Moulson up near the damn point.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:09 PM
boredmale

Move Neilsen to the first unit point and move one of Streit or Vish to the second unit

Personally I would do Streit and Nielsen first unit, Hickey and Vish 2nd unit, that way when the PP is over you can put on Hamonic and MacDonald when the other team most likely will put out it's top line

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Degeneration Rex

Too much play (passing) on the perimeter which may be partially caused by not enough movement from the wings, making it too easy for the penalty killers,. Would be easier to explain diagramed on a blackboard. Better entry in the zone would help but not liking what they do when setting up. Looks kind of like slow motion at times.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 04-24-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:29 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Too much play (passing) on the perimeter which may be partially caused by not enough movement from the wings, making it too easy for thr penalty killers. Would be easier to explain diagramed on a blackboard.
This. They're thinking way too much and trying to get the perfect shot. I think they'll come out of it.

I don't like Boyes on the PP. He's too vanilla and predictable and not quick enough (brain as well as feet). I'd love to see a new PP1 unit.

But thank the hockey gods that this team figured out how to play 5 on 5. We went from one of the worst even strength teams to one of the best over 20 games. Once the PP starts clicking again, the team can win a round or two.

RMimagery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
This. They're thinking way too much and trying to get the perfect shot. I think they'll come out of it.

I don't like Boyes on the PP. He's too vanilla and predictable and not quick enough (brain as well as feet). I'd love to see a new PP1 unit.

But thank the hockey gods that this team figured out how to play 5 on 5. We went from one of the worst even strength teams to one of the best over 20 games. Once the PP starts clicking again, the team can win a round or two.
Yes as you say too much thinking. maybe a little quicker tempo with less time to think and be more instinctive.

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Cavonnier

Thanks everyone. I can now make specific complaints when I watch us on the power play instead of just offering generic profanities.

Cavonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 06:06 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Streit and Vis basically do the same thing at the points, which is bad since neither defers or they both defer too much from taking the point shot.
Very true. This will never happen at this point in the season but - imagine Streit on RW on the first PP. He's an excellent passer and very creative. His main purpose would be feeding JT/Moulson but he would get opportunities to shoot it as well.

Vis and Hickey as the 1st PP D pair.

Streit ventures down low on the right side sometimes and usually creates something. He has his faults but also some important assets. Use them. Maybe next year if he's here.

RMimagery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:13 PM
leaponover

I agree about breaking up Streit and Vis...put Nielsen back at the point.

There biggest problems are two fold right now. They are not moving the puck fast enough and pretty much leads to problem number two which is telegraphing passes. If you are slow it leads to predictability. They need to move the puck down low at a quicker rate from the points and capitalize on the guys down low. I have been complaining about the PP this whole second half you can see it in numerous posts. Even sent an email to my Dad saying if they don't figure it out it will really hurt them in the playoffs. It's really got to turn around because special teams will make a or break a series.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:12 PM
StumpNYI

I'm actually happy our team was forced to learn how to play 5-on-5. At least we know the PP works because it has before. Coaches just need to find out what changed. Glad we don't need to rely on it anymore though.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
19NYSports91

Breaking up Vis and Streit is very very similar to breaking up Moulson and Boyes. It just doesn't work.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:57 AM
simbo042

vCash: 50
As has been mentioned above, the best thing about this topic is that it isn't about the five on five play otherwise I doubt the playoffs would have been a reality anytime soon!

The PP has been pretty bad and I agree that Streit and Vis together seems overkill given they both want to do the same thing. Other than that, maybe let someone other than Streit carry the puck into the zone? Seems to me we lose a lot of energy just to get over the blue line and then we never get established.

simbo042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Dan-o16

Having two left shots at the points is a major disadvantage for our top PP unit. If you can get the box moving a little bit, you can get a one-time point shot through if you have point-men who shoot on opposite sides. It's much harder with two lefties.

Basically, PK's adjust to the Islanders by pressuring down low and collapsing against point shots. I don't know enough about PP strategy to suggest a solution other than putting KO on the left point on the 1st unit.

When the Isles were doing well on the PP, teams were playing too soft down low, allowing the forwards to do all the work, or the Isles were going low to high with a quick shot and then looking for deflections and rebounds. It seems like opposing PK's are countering this by not following the puck out to the point and just getting in the lanes.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:59 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Having two left shots at the points is a major disadvantage for our top PP unit. If you can get the box moving a little bit, you can get a one-time point shot through if you have point-men who shoot on opposite sides. It's much harder with two lefties.

Basically, PK's adjust to the Islanders by pressuring down low and collapsing against point shots. I don't know enough about PP strategy to suggest a solution other than putting KO on the left point on the 1st unit.

When the Isles were doing well on the PP, teams were playing too soft down low, allowing the forwards to do all the work, or the Isles were going low to high with a quick shot and then looking for deflections and rebounds. It seems like opposing PK's are countering this by not following the puck out to the point and just getting in the lanes.
The PP just isn't controlling the play and moving it behind the net and into the corners, which allowed that success earlier on.

When/if JT and Boyes establish the corner again we'll see more point shots get through. Their entry is a real disaster and needs to be addressed first though.

And Okposo isn't good enough defensively to put at the point and his shot isn't quick enough (he takes too long to release it). I'd rather have Hickey and Vis together or put Nielsen there again as others have suggested. I am personally not a fan of having a forward play the point on the PP though.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
I've hated this years powerplay from day one.

First of all, Boyes has to get his ass off of it ASAP. Replace him with Nielsen and let him set up shop on the half wall - same way PAP did last year.

Secondly, JT MUST be in deeper. Closer to the net for tips, deflections and garbage goals. I HATE seeing him standing on the outside trying to work the half wall and forcing plays that arnt there. He's gotta be buzzing around the net with Moulson closeby.

Lastly, Vis and Streit need to focus on shooting more. It doesn't have to be a bomb. Just get the shot through.
I believe that they're both smart enough to work together. They both have too much skill to not be on a top PP unit.

But whatever, those changes are probably a bit too drastic to making this late in the season. I predict the PP keeps going the way it has been. Feast or famine.

Last edited by Sheva7: 04-25-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:55 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheva7 View Post
First of all, Boyes has get his ass off of it ASAP. Replace him with Nielsen and let him set up shop on the half wall - same way PAP did last year.
Boyes and PAP are right handed shots, Neilsen is a leftie(like JT and Moulson). Not saying that is a reason we should keep Boyes in the first unit but I do like having at least 1 right handed shot on the PP

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:22 PM
Sheva7

vCash: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Boyes and PAP are right handed shots, Neilsen is a leftie(like JT and Moulson). Not saying that is a reason we should keep Boyes in the first unit but I do like having at least 1 right handed shot on the PP
Definitely. I hear ya, but I'd rather have Frans with one hand tied behind his back than the right handed Boyes lol

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:47 AM
camper

Isles PP need re-vamping....nothing wrong with their tic-tac-toe style..but they have assets we have seen that are not used...the points flat out do not shoot or wait to shoot till they see a clear lane? That style gives the Goalie too much time and maybe 1% of clear shots will beat him....They have the big Body and temperment in #17 ..yet he is rarely used...I believe the coaches see what they have but its hard to re-vamp a hole PP with personal that will shoot. Take a Boston shoot shoot shoot..not all on net ..they look for confusion wingers tipping ..rebounds off boards..they get you running around...Isles will have great playoff with a combination of PP styles...yet always use the same squad....Stick that big SOB #17 out front and shoot..he will draw many a penalty..he has tipping skills..yet many a time he will not even touch the puck or in the points.....its his ability to cause havoc that will be what the doctor ordered.

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:10 AM
wingnutks

Viz and Streit have to be separated. WAY too much, "you shoot", "no you shoot", "no YOU shoot", "No, sir after you".

You have two guys with a good shot and good quarterbacking skills, why the hell have them on the same line. One too many cooks if you ask me.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Hip Of Rick

If the PP can not get it going I would expect 4/5 games and out.

The biggest problem with the PP lately besides the units which Capuano/Weight are too stubborn/stupid to change is the forwards are pressuring the point men. We have not adapted and keep playing with the puck at the points and up high which leads to turnovers and easy clears for the PK. If they move the puck down low it forces the forwards to collapse freeing up the points so they can work the puck around.

Ideally I think the units should be
Moulson-JT- Bailey
Streit/Viz-Nielsen

Grabner- Okposo- Boyes
Streit/Viz- MacDonald

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:18 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
If the PP can not get it going I would expect 4/5 games and out.

The biggest problem with the PP lately besides the units which Capuano/Weight are too stubborn/stupid to change is the forwards are pressuring the point men. We have not adapted and keep playing with the puck at the points and up high which leads to turnovers and easy clears for the PK. If they move the puck down low it forces the forwards to collapse freeing up the points so they can work the puck around.

Ideally I think the units should be
Moulson-JT- Bailey
Streit/Viz-Nielsen

Grabner- Okposo- Boyes
Streit/Viz- MacDonald
I would change either Boyes or Grabner with Matt Martin or CC

Old
04-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I would change either Boyes or Grabner with Matt Martin or CC
I wouldn't mind Martin if he just stood in front of the net. I wouldn't want to test Cizikas at the point, that is better suited for next year.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:27 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
I wouldn't mind Martin if he just stood in front of the net. I wouldn't want to test Cizikas at the point, that is better suited for next year.
Both Martin and CC I would have stand in front of the net, and work the boards behind the net.