Notices

I'll take lunatic fringe for $100

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 06:08 PM
hubofhockey

vCash: 500
I'll take lunatic fringe for $100

Hi again -- I saw a couple of questions, opinions posted about the upcoming NEHJ show on 1510, and thought I would clarify.

Unless things have changed (and please tell me if I am wrong), you can also listen to the station's programming on the net (1510thezone.com)...so, if you have signal probs where you live, there SHOULD BE that alternative.

I am a cohost, along with Mick Colageo...because of my many other Globe responsibilities, I will not be able to make it in the studio for all 39 shows (every sat., 10-noon, beginning Oct. 4 and ending with the draft). When I am not there, I intend to hook up via phone -- again, Globe assignments permitting.

As far as recruiting you guys to call in, PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF RECRUITED...I say that, fully expecting that some of you in the LF just can't wait to blast away....not that I am looking to become some on-air pinata, but as I said at the outset here, if it's pigpiling and suckerpunching that makes your day, then hey, bon appetit. I'd also encourage you to email in your questions to MSNBC.com, where I've been the ASK THE EXPERT columnist for the last 4-5 years. Either venue, I'd love to hear from ya.

And while I'm at it, I think it was Ratty who asked about my continued use of Vault and Original 30. What can I say? They're mine. I made 'em up, and like it or not (and I can see you don't), they're very much in the local hockey venacular now...as was Al ``The Planet'' Iafrate and as is Jumbo Joe Thornton....heck, if I made 'em up, I'm gonna use 'em, baby. If you were/are a Red Sox fan, you might remember Ned Martin's trademark, ``Mercy!'' That's all it is. I also use Hub of Hockey a lot, too (including my sign-on). As I said in the post, for the most part over the last 10-12 years, namin' 'em has been a whole lot more fun than watchin' em. Not sure Landon ``Of the Lost'' would agree, but....Remember, much of the exercise is meant to be fun and entertaining, as well as informative....it's why I tend to shy away from boring, repetitive quotes from players--the paper is paying me to think, and be creative--not to be a stenographer. And the team can't place it subtle handcuffs on the print product the way it does the TV and radio product--the latter of which are essentially owned by the team.

'nuf for now.

What do you LF'ers make of your guy Potsy in net? I suspect it's time for some Pots-shots? kpd.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:13 PM
brianscot

Potsy?

At this point, I wish the Bruins had signed Ralph Malph or Chacchi.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:20 PM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
I haven't seen any of the games yet so I can't say how many weak goals Potvin has let in...But 13 goals in 60 Minutes is just not good....

Old
09-24-2003, 06:24 PM
JimmyV

Send a message via AIM to JimmyV
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot
Potsy?

At this point, I wish the Bruins had signed Ralph Malph or Chacchi.

I know it is really early (the season hasn't even started yet), but if the B's are going to go young, and forego looking for a 2nd line center, etc..
Then I say Hannu Toivonen and Andrew Raycroft this year in the net.

My wife just said to me...when I told her the B's lost 9-0..."I can't take another miserable year."

I can't take a washed up goalie..all season!

Old
09-24-2003, 06:53 PM
BostonGrl819

Sean Burke is looking better and better.....

How about calling him cracked Pot-vin???

Old
09-24-2003, 09:15 PM
DR. Holiday

KPD will you actually being doing the show at the draft or do you attend the draft. Just wondering if you go like Harris and Kirk do or not.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:35 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
In all fairness I would like to give Felix a little time considering how long it's been since he has played.

However I can give him all the time I want and still have my nice cushy job..

The question here is can MOC do the same ?

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
09-25-2003, 02:26 AM
HockeyGoddess

I've been pretty indifferent regarding Potvin's signing with the B's. It's pretty well documented that he's as streaky a goaltender as they come... he hasn't played since January... he needs a little time to adjust to his new teammates... 5 of the goals the Red Wings scored last night were on the power-play (two of them on 5-on-3s, I believe)... no, I'm not excusing the fact that he let in those goals. However, it would certainly be nice if the Bruins skaters could stay the heck out of the box, wouldn't it???? We don't NEED to take a plethora of foolish/stupid/lazy penalties, and it seems (from looking over the boxscore) that many of the penalties taken by the boys in Black & Gold were just that.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
09-25-2003, 03:10 AM
Gator Mike

I can't decide if I'm more concerned about:

a. Potvin being lit up by the Isles AND Red Wings the only two times he's seen the ice so far this preaseason.

b. The fact that this team has been outshot/outplayed dramatically in at least three of their four games so far.

c. Giving up five PP goals to a Detroit team that kind of struggled to score so far in the preseason.

d. The glaring lack of discipline shown in last night's game.

e. The 5th-highest scoring offense in the league last year has managed just six goals in four games, and were shut out over the course of 60 minutes twice.

Here's my nightmare scenario after one game. The Bruins unwisely spent little money on two of the most important positions in the game - goalie and head coach - and it's going to bite them in the butt. Potvin seems somewhat sieve-like so far, and Sully's new defensive system seems to be strangling the offense. I mean, I know it's Detroit, but 20 shots? And most of those came from the defense. Not only that, but the special teams stink, and they're taking lots of penalties... including stupid ones at inopportune times.

Had we a veteran coach with a proven track record, I wouldn't be concerned. But right now, I'm wondering if MOC just hired Steve Kasper Part II.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:37 AM
TheBigBadB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike
I can't decide if I'm more concerned about:

a. Potvin being lit up by the Isles AND Red Wings the only two times he's seen the ice so far this preaseason.

b. The fact that this team has been outshot/outplayed dramatically in at least three of their four games so far.

c. Giving up five PP goals to a Detroit team that kind of struggled to score so far in the preseason.

d. The glaring lack of discipline shown in last night's game.

e. The 5th-highest scoring offense in the league last year has managed just six goals in four games, and were shut out over the course of 60 minutes twice.

Here's my nightmare scenario after one game. The Bruins unwisely spent little money on two of the most important positions in the game - goalie and head coach - and it's going to bite them in the butt. Potvin seems somewhat sieve-like so far, and Sully's new defensive system seems to be strangling the offense. I mean, I know it's Detroit, but 20 shots? And most of those came from the defense. Not only that, but the special teams stink, and they're taking lots of penalties... including stupid ones at inopportune times.

Had we a veteran coach with a proven track record, I wouldn't be concerned. But right now, I'm wondering if MOC just hired Steve Kasper Part II.

thats what I was thinking...Maybe Sully wasnt the best idea for a head coach...What they do need is a Keenan type...He demands respect and calls out people...Thats what this team needs, cause obviously the friend approach doesnt work..they need a kick in the butt...I mean come on I know its only preseason but what happened to Thornton Sammy Murray..were are they??..Anyone notice that the only preseason game the B's won was with an almost all rookie lineup...Maybe the vets dont give a damn and are just on cruise control out there...So far I dont like the looks of this...2-1 games 5-2 games are ok...But they are getting lit up now..Where is the desire?? Its like they are continuing off from last year...Come on guys get it together!!!

Old
09-25-2003, 04:53 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Potsy

I've been one of the biggest Potvin fans here, and I thought he was clutch in LA when they needed him. However, he's been pulled twice in a row, and Raycroft was noticeably better in front of the same horrid defense - but we did put out a very AHL calibre lineup so far. You can't play with a .700 GA (or is it even below that???) It's a joke.

Potsy is a Patsy so far. Nobody's been very impressed with him in camp. It's a shame. If it comes to it, Potvin might be waiver fodder because Shields has more trade value right now, imo. It's only been two games, but all of the red flags have been raised in my book.

But honestly, I'm more worried about Sully and the offense. The D will be good with Boynton and OD in there every night. The goaltending will be okay with Raycroft and someone other than Potvin. But we don't have any scoring yet. It's not like we're getting stoned by goalies. The shot differential was 49-20 vs. Detroit!

Old
09-25-2003, 04:54 AM
Black Eye

vCash:
Despite seemingly not making "big changes," the roster actually experienced a fair amount of turnover from the end of last season.

We lost: Girard, Berard, Brown, Sweeney, Hackett, Stumpel, McInnis, Oliwa. That's 8 guys, most of them pretty experienced. Plus the coach was changed.

A difficult reality for fans this year is that it will take awhile for this team to gel and find itself - and then we still don't really know how good it should be. Also factor in that several younger guys are getting a shot. There will be a lot of adjustment along the way.

It depends on what your expectations are: If you are expecting this team to compete and put on a good show every night, I think your patience will really be tried. If you believe the team is in a rebuilding mode and you are happy enough seeing signs that the core of a good future lineup is starting to come together, then you'll probably be more closely aligned with where the team is at.

Like last year - after the departure of Guerin, Dafoe, et al - it will take 20-30 games to sort out what we have in hand. I was certainly surprised by the start last year. Who knows!

Old
09-25-2003, 04:57 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Ummm...ain't we overreacting a bit here ?

Sully's been on the watch for a couple of weks and this pasteing is his fault.. ?

I mean , yeah, it may turn out that way but ..wowzer.. I thought we were willing to give some things some time..
maybe it was me alone..

oh and while I appreciate the creative names and all. yeah , they can be fun.. I'll admit it..

What I really want to know is ..Is there a plan ?
Will JJ hold management accountable for anything beyond a profit ?
Will young Charlie ?
Is he the heir apparent ?

To me that's raising the bar .

Old
09-25-2003, 05:07 AM
TheBigBadB

I know I am overacting a little bit...but I have this sense that this team has problems at its core players...This was the same thing that happened last year and the year before...Games that are considered "easy" like most of the expansion teams are, were huge problems for this team...They played well against the elite but crapped out against the lower teams...Is motivation a problem for them, maybe? I dont know...but certainly looks like there is a lack of motivation this preseason too...Maybe things will turn around, and the new system Sully is implementing is taking longer to learn...but I can tell you right now, I am a bit uneasy about how this preseason is going so far..Let's hope they can turn it around for the rest of the preseason..Go B's!!

Old
09-25-2003, 06:58 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Panic

Panic? Nah, I'm just saying that the offense, defense, and goaltending is subpar right now. That's no reason to panic.
Check out Sinden's and Sully's remarks in today's Globe. They don't sound confident that the team can come together.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Gator Mike

I'm not really paniced, yet, either.

I'm just saying that I think the preseason results to this point are some cause for concern.

I won't freak until at least Opening Night.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:21 AM
TheBigBadB

No need to panic yet...but kinda edgey after two SOUND beatings...

Old
09-25-2003, 08:29 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
On the plus side, if the goalies keep playing like this, maybe O'Connell's empty threats about bringing in a marquee guy will become something less than idle.

Me? I want to see Toivonen.

Closed Thread