HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team Rankings: Talented, well-balanced prospect pool gives Florida Panthers top spot

Old
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
HF Article

vCash: 500
Team Rankings: Talented, well-balanced prospect pool gives Florida Panthers top spot

Hockey's Future presents the top grouping of the Spring NHL Team Rankings, the staff's ranking of each NHL team's system based on the strength of the entire prospect pool. For reference, just the top five prospects are listed. To be eligible, a prospect must meet HF's prospect criteria. The ranking is done twice a year, with this edition being an update to the Fall ranking.

The Florida Panthers took over the number one ranking with top prospects like Jonathan Huberdeau and Jacob Markstrom each making a substantial impact for the Panthers in 2012-13, leading a prospect pool that is well-stocked with talented prospects at every position.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Marchessault Good
Yu - Behr - Doe

Now add Nathan MacKinnon on top of that, please.

Edited

Last edited by Marchessault Good: 04-30-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Marchessault Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Based on his few games in the NHL late in the season, I felt that Petrovic seems to have a slight edge IMO on that 5th spot in the Panthers organizational ranking. Howden wasn't bad but just didnt produce and struggled a lot more than Petrovic did in the AHL.

But I'm always confused by how HF lists players who obviously havent played a position in such a long time in a specific spot. For instance, Huberdeau has primarily played LW for quite a while (not just in the NHL but in juniors too). Kyle Rau has played LW for the Gophers for 2 seasons as well. How long does it take until a prospect's position is changed?

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Jacko95

I think Motreal is a little high and Tampa a little low. No reason to drop for them, with the unbelievable season from Palat, Johnson and Kucherov.

Hamilton (on which a lot of their highly ranked prospects play) is dead last in their conference, while Tampas is near the top even without 4 of their top6 for a quarter of the season.

Oh and I would really be happy if HF could do the same rating system on every team.
It's just laughable that Ondrej Palat, a premier shutdown forward (with 52p in 59 AHL games!) is a 6.5 D, while Charles Hudon with a good season in the QMJHL is a 7.5 D
Hudon has proven nothing and should have that much more talent?

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
I think Motreal is a little high and Tampa a little low. No reason to drop for them, with the unbelievable season from Palat, Johnson and Kucherov.

Hamilton (on which a lot of their highly ranked prospects play) is dead last in their conference, while Tampas is near the top even without 4 of their top6 for a quarter of the season.

Oh and I would really be happy if HF could do the same rating system on every team.
It's just laughable that Ondrej Palat, a premier shutdown forward (with 52p in 59 AHL games!) is a 6.5 D, while Charles Hudon with a good season in the QMJHL is a 7.5 D
Hudon has proven nothing and should have that much more talent?
It isn't based on how well they do on their non-NHL teams, or how well those teams do in their respective leagues.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
It isn't based on how well they do on their non-NHL teams, or how well those teams do in their respective leagues.
I know, but it after all the AHL standings are a good indication, how much depth and quality a team has in the pro minors.
And after all it is how good they do on their level. A prospect on a PPG level in the pros (AHL/ KHL) is a lot better prospect than a CHL player on a PPG pace.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
I know, but it after all the AHL standings are a good indication, how much depth and quality a team has in the pro minors.
And after all it is how good they do on their level. A prospect on a PPG level in the pros (AHL/ KHL) is a lot better prospect than a CHL player on a PPG pace.
It is an indication of depth, but not of high end skill. There's players as well that aren't even on those AHL teams who figure into the rankings, and players like Galchenyuk, and Gallagher who are on the NHL team. Aside from all that, if my team was rated last and I had those two players, I wouldn't care.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:44 PM
That

Surprised to see Montreal so high, especially given the fact that Tampa Bay is below them.

Quote:
Huge part of success in professional hockey is based on surrounding your team with veterans that young players can learn from. Hamilton was a team with at least 8 rookies at any given time (sometimes even up to 12 or 13), with little veteran presence. The only veteran forward that wasn't a glorified punching bag on the team was Mike Blunden and defenceman, Frederic St. Denis. Both of whom were outplayed by a large portion of the rookies. A rookie defenceman (Beaulieu) and a second year forward (Dumont) won the team's scoring title, with only one of the team's major awards going to a player with three years of professional experience or more.

Syracuse, undoubtedly, has a great system that has and should continue to provide the Tampa Bay Lightning for years, but Hamilton does too. Tinordi has been fantastic for the Habs in two stints, Beaulieu was very solid in his callup, Dumont has looked good, Pateryn (despite not playing a lot of minutes) was steady, and of course Gallagher who has been a revelation for the Canadiens this season. You could say the same thing for Syracuse with Conacher, Palat, Panik, Killorn, and Gudas.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Surprised to see Montreal so high, especially given the fact that Tampa Bay is below them.

Huge part of success in professional hockey is based on surrounding your team with veterans that young players can learn from. Hamilton was a team with at least 8 rookies at any given time (sometimes even up to 12 or 13), with little veteran presence. The only veteran forward that wasn't a glorified punching bag on the team was Mike Blunden and defenceman, Frederic St. Denis. Both of whom were outplayed by a large portion of the rookies. A rookie defenceman (Beaulieu) and a second year forward (Dumont) won the team's scoring title, with only one of the team's major awards going to a player with three years of professional experience or more.

Syracuse, undoubtedly, has a great system that has and should continue to provide the Tampa Bay Lightning for years, but Hamilton does too. Tinordi has been fantastic for the Habs in two stints, Beaulieu was very solid in his callup, Dumont has looked good, Pateryn (despite not playing a lot of minutes) was steady, and of course Gallagher who has been a revelation for the Canadiens this season. You could say the same thing for Syracuse with Conacher, Palat, Panik, Killorn, Gudas, Johnson, Barberio.
After all Syracuse doesn't use veterans on important roles as well. Their first forward veteran is Angelidis, who normally played on the third line and their first defender is Cote as the #4.

IMO Motreal has a great prospect pool, my problem with them is, not many (other than the high-end guys like Beaulieu) have proven enough to call them surfire NHLers. I think a lot of them will be good players in the future, but others will fall off, while most of the high Tampa prospects have at least had impressive AHL season or have already played NHL hockey.
Montreals situation reminds me a lot of Tampa Bays prospect pool in the summer of 2011. A lot of talent, but it has yet to be decided, wether they all have NHL hockey in their future or not. Luckily nobody fell of and we even added a lot with Korobov or the absolut unexpected emergence of Palat.

My problem with the rating is sometimes, I look at Nikita Kucherov and Charles Hudon/ Tim Bozon and see 3 little small guys, of whom one (Kucherov) has absolutly dominated the QMJHL (2PPG pace) and the other two had good, but not as impressive season as Kucherov. And all three have the same rating.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
After all Syracuse doesn't use veterans on important roles as well. Their first forward veteran is Angelidis, who normally played on the third line and their first defender is Cote as the #4.

IMO Motreal has a great prospect pool, my problem with them is, not many (other than the high-end guys like Beaulieu) have proven enough to call them surfire NHLers. I think a lot of them will be good players in the future, but others will fall off, while most of the high Tampa prospects have at least had impressive AHL season or have already played NHL hockey.
Montreals situation reminds me a lot of Tampa Bays prospect pool in the summer of 2011. A lot of talent, but it has yet to be decided, wether they all have NHL hockey in their future or not. Luckily nobody fell of and we even added a lot with Korobov or the absolut unexpected emergence of Palat.

My problem with the rating is sometimes, I look at Nikita Kucherov and Charles Hudon/ Tim Bozon and see 3 little small guys, of whom one (Kucherov) has absolutly dominated the QMJHL (2PPG pace) and the other two had good, but not as impressive season as Kucherov. And all three have the same rating.
The rankings aren't based on the skill a player exhibits now so much as their ability to perform at the next level with that skill

Old
04-30-2013, 11:48 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post
Hockey's Future presents the*top*grouping of the Spring NHL Team Rankings, the staff's ranking of each NHL team's system based on the strength of the entire prospect pool. For reference, just the top five prospects are listed. To be eligible, a prospect must meet HF's prospect criteria. The ranking is done twice a year, with this edition being an update to the Fall ranking.

The Florida Panthers took over the number one ranking with top prospects like Jonathan Huberdeau and Jacob Markstrom each making a substantial impact for the Panthers in 2012-13, leading a prospect pool that is well-stocked with talented prospects at every position. read more

More...
I expect some of those NYI centers, will be shifted to the wing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote