HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Your darkhorse for '13 draft

Old
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Isn't he projected to go in the late 1st/early 2nd? I don't know if you could really consider a 1st round hopeful a darkhorse, unless you think he should be a top 15 pick or something like that.
A significant number of players listed in this thread are likely to go in the top 45 picks...

04-30-2013, 11:06 AM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
There's a lot of underrated D from the WHL in this draft. Marc McNulty and Tyler King are also guys I like for later round picks.
The dub is certainly littered with a ton of interesting mid-late round dmen. Also guys like Spenser Jensen, Kanzig, Macoy Erkamps, etc.

I love McNulty's game. Got him in the 4th.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:37 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
The dub is certainly littered with a ton of interesting mid-late round dmen. Also guys like Spenser Jensen, Kanzig, Macoy Erkamps, etc.

I love McNulty's game. Got him in the 4th.
4th eh? That's high, I had a hard time noticing him. I really wonder about these guys, do they have top 4 upside? McNulty and Mitchell Wheaton to me are guys I can't figure out why people have them so high.

Kanzig is a beast, but I'm not sure he can skate well enough. From the Royals games I saw, he wasn't even facing the toughest competition on the opposition. That was Hicketts and Fransoo's job.

What is your opinion on Burroughs out of Regina? I really like him. I could see teams liking him in the 3rd, but is probably a 4th-5th.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:42 AM
17Kurri

Madison Bowey

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:13 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Madison Bowey
He stood out at U-18's and I bet he goes in the first round now because of it.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
4th eh? That's high, I had a hard time noticing him. I really wonder about these guys, do they have top 4 upside? McNulty and Mitchell Wheaton to me are guys I can't figure out why people have them so high.

Kanzig is a beast, but I'm not sure he can skate well enough. From the Royals games I saw, he wasn't even facing the toughest competition on the opposition. That was Hicketts and Fransoo's job.

What is your opinion on Burroughs out of Regina? I really like him. I could see teams liking him in the 3rd, but is probably a 4th-5th.
To be completely honest, if I was sitting at the draft table I wouldn't consider taking Burroughs until maybe the 7th if at all. He is the type of defenseman that can play good minutes at the junior level, but I don't see it translating up to the next level. Tools are average, hockey sense isn't anything special, and he doesn't have the best size. He is a great junior player, I wouldn't mind having him on my team, but in the end I do not see him as a big league prospect. Just my two cents.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:33 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
To be completely honest, if I was sitting at the draft table I wouldn't consider taking Burroughs until maybe the 7th if at all. He is the type of defenseman that can play good minutes at the junior level, but I don't see it translating up to the next level. Tools are average, hockey sense isn't anything special, and he doesn't have the best size. He is a great junior player, I wouldn't mind having him on my team, but in the end I do not see him as a big league prospect. Just my two cents.
Interesting. Thanks.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

You can't teach size, scouts love his size and all the potential that this kid can possibly bring to the table. His skating is improving, but what makes Kanzig much more appealing is that he can also play a role as an enforcer, to boot as a possible shutdown defenseman, I personally believe that's a bit of a stretch for him though, but IMO he will get drafted based on his size alone.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote