HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you compare this years team with the 01-02 Islanders?

Old
04-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Wedregast

vCash: 50
How would you compare this years team with the 01-02 Islanders?

Since we clinched a spot, I thought it'd be interesting to compare the 2001-02 Islanders to the 2012-13 team. Both teams went into the playoffs with promise, and excited us as fans... in a way that the other post 2000 playoff teams (02-03, 03-04, and 06-07) really hadn't. Lets just hope the 12-13 Islanders have a much better playoff run.

The 01-02 roster is not accurate with the lines, aside from the 2nd line, feel free to post what the proper lines were:

2001-02 Islanders
Coach : Laviolette

Forwards:
Kvasha - Yashin - Czerkawski
Parrish - Peca - Bates
Isbister - Scatchard -Blake
K. Miller - Lapointe -Webb
ex:
Hunter/Cummins

Defense:
Jonsson - Aucoin
Tarnstrom - Hamrlik
Van Impe - Cairns
ex:
Schultz/Korolev

Goal:
Osgood
Snow

2012-13 Islanders
Coach : Capuano

Forwards:
Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Okposo- Nielsen - Bailey
Grabner -Aucoin - Mcdonald
Martin - Cizikas - Joensuu
ex:
Lee/Reasoner/Ullstrom/Boulton

Defense:
Hamonic - Mcdonald
Vishnovsky - Hickey
Streit - Strait
ex:
Martinek/Carkner/Finley

Goal:
Nabokov
Poulin

The easy things to point out are that the 01-02 Islanders had more experienced vets, a stanley cup winning goalie, and a bonafide top 2nd line center. The 12-13 Islanders have more depth, and a lot of its young players haven't hit their peak yet. Both teams have balanced scoring, and a playoff experienced goalie.

Looking at both these teams, I think this years group has more potential to go farther then the 01-02 Islanders did, regardless of who we face in the first round.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Lavy was a tinkerer. That lucky 7s line didn't even really stay intact for most of the season if I remember correctly. None of the lines did. Yash played with Bates at times. Chow was with Yash sometimes, sometimes with Scatch.

The Peca-Yashin combo was huge. Peca was in his prime. No matter what we would have had two good lines. I think that's huge, and this last month proves as much. We started to get going when the second line started to get going.

Oh, and that was Martinek's first season. Shockingly he got injured early.

Last edited by Renbarg: 04-24-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:07 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
Since we clinched a spot, I thought it'd be interesting to compare the 2001-02 Islanders to the 2012-13 team. Both teams went into the playoffs with promise, and excited us as fans... in a way that the other post 2000 playoff teams (02-03, 03-04, and 06-07) really hadn't. Lets just hope the 12-13 Islanders have a much better playoff run.

The 01-02 roster is not accurate with the lines, aside from the 2nd line, feel free to post what the proper lines were:

2001-02 Islanders

Forwards:
Parrish - Peca - Bates
ex:
Hunter/Cummins

Defense:
Jonsson - Aucoin
Tarnstrom - Hamrlik
Van Impe - Cairns
ex:
Schultz/Korolev

Goal:
Osgood
Snow

2012-13 Islanders

Forwards:
Okposo- Nielsen - Bailey
ex:

Defense:
Hamonic - Mcdonald
Vishnovsky - Hickey
Streit - Strait
ex:
Martinek/Carkner/Finley

Goal:
Nabokov
Poulin

The easy things to point out are that the 01-02 Islanders had more experienced vets, a stanley cup winning goalie, and a bonafide top 2nd line center. The 12-13 Islanders have more depth, and a lot of its young players haven't hit their peak yet. Both teams have balanced scoring, and a playoff experienced goalie.

Looking at both these teams, I think this years group has more potential to go farther then the 01-02 Islanders did, regardless of who we face in the first round.
I never liked that team in any of it's forms. It had a short shelf life because of the constant age of vets revolving in and out of it. The defense was above average, but that's about all the good I can say about it.

This club has a much higher ceiling, and I say that having trashed them when they were in the depths of their slump this year, comparing them and poorly to the worst team we had in 20 years, but that is how bad the club was playing at the time.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Depth in wings and D is better for team now, center depth for 2002 team is better. Lapointe and Cizikas were/are great 4th line centers. Can't break it down that much though, not old enough.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:37 PM
13th Floor

Well, I guess one thing not out of the question is that Poulin can be the GM of this team in 10 years.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:37 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:

2001-02 Islanders

Forwards:
Parrish - Peca - Bates
ex:
Hunter/Cummins

Defense:
Jonsson - Aucoin
Tarnstrom - Hamrlik
Van Impe - Cairns
ex:
Schultz/Korolev

Goal:
Osgood
Snow

2012-13 Islanders

Forwards:
Okposo- Nielsen - Bailey
ex:

Defense:
Hamonic - Mcdonald
Vishnovsky - Hickey
Streit - Strait
ex:
Martinek/Carkner/Finley

Goal:
Nabokov
Poulin

Wow Aucoin has been around a long time, he played defense for us back in 01

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Bert Marshall days

I was 20 pounds thinner and had more hair in 2001-02.

This year's team is younger, rawer, less polished and less experienced. Big difference.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:50 PM
RMimagery

You can compare a few things.

Yash was a star center and at almost a ppg in his first season w the Isles (32G 46A in 75 gms). Tavares ppg (46 gms 28G 46 pts, on pace for 47G over a full season) has a bit on Yash with a better 2 way game and leadership by example. The prior 2 years with Ottawa, Yashin was over a ppg and at his best. He never reached 30G again. edge Tavares.

Parrish and Moulson are very similar. Parrish w 30G that year, his best ever and Moulson w many 30G seasons. Both dangerous in tight near the slot w deflections and tip ins. Both can dish, Parrish had 30A but Moulson showed a new dimension to his game this year. His high in assists was 33 two years ago - now on pace for about 50A along with 25G. I'll take that every year. Edge to Moulson but it's close.

Czerkawski over Boyes, nuff said.

Nielsen is our Peca. Peca was right in his prime. Unfortunately, that hit on the knee in the playoffs vs TOR ended that right then. Frans is an underrated player, hopefully yet to reach his prime. edge to Mike.

Bailey and Okposo, with how they're playing now, gets the edge over any combo of 2nd line wings from '02.

Not going to go into every player but Kvasha was Kvasha, the disappointing enigma. The rest of the forwards go to the current club. With players in the bottom 6 like Grabner, Martin, Cizikas, Cmac, etc...there's surprising depth to this F group. First time in years I'm confident with each line out there. And it's a diverse group.

I loved that D corps back then. Having KJ, Hamrlik and Aucoin was just fun to watch. All in their prime and solid all over the ice. But this year's D has more depth and maybe speed. Jonsson got hurt, but if not... Having those top 3 eat up minutes, I'd probably go with them, but I'm starting to feel strong about our current D. They have really raised their game lately. Outside of the last 2 games where I think the constant full throttle of the past month took it's toll...

Osgood gets the nod over Nabby but if Nabby can stay in the zone he was in over that very recent 12 game stretch and refocus before the playoffs...it's real close. Without a tested backup, we must pray that Nabby stays in one piece. Very slight edge to Osgood/Snow, even though Snow only saw 26 min and gave up 2 G on 19 shots in the playoffs.

Overall, I'd have to go with the current team. Main reason is the 01-02 team started out red hot at 11-1-1. Then played only slightly over .500 the rest of the year. This team looked lost at times in the first half, but grew and came together at the right time with an unbelievable run to get in.

We were all wrong when guessing what record would qualify. Who knew that along with us, the Rangers, Caps, Leafs and even the Jets keeping it interesting, would all keep putting up wins too? 8-0-3 last eleven and barely are in, insane.

Sorry for the long post. In a good mood, listening to music and enjoyed thinking about that team from 11 years ago. I worked for a LI newspaper/shopper then and had a weekly column about the Islanders. But I'm even more psyched to see what this team can do. Must win a round!

Last edited by RMimagery: 04-25-2013 at 12:21 AM. Reason: clarification on Snow's playoff #'s.
RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:59 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

I think the key difference is that the current roster relies on several of its key players (particularly the second line) playing the best hockey of their career. With the '02 roster, you knew exactly what you were getting with Jonsson, Hamrlik, Osgood, Yashin, Peca, and Parrish, and the roster was deep enough to absorb disappointing years from Kvasha and Czerkawski. (As far as I recall, Adrian Aucoin's terrific year was something of a surprise.)

The great what-if about that '02 team is the number of veterans who emerged later on. If Scatchard and Blake had broken out as consisten goal-scoring threats a year earlier than they did, that team would have been elite.

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBarnabysTears View Post
I think the key difference is that the current roster relies on several of its key players (particularly the second line) playing the best hockey of their career. With the '02 roster, you knew exactly what you were getting with Jonsson, Hamrlik, Osgood, Yashin, Peca, and Parrish, and the roster was deep enough to absorb disappointing years from Kvasha and Czerkawski. (As far as I recall, Adrian Aucoin's terrific year was something of a surprise.)

The great what-if about that '02 team is the number of veterans who emerged later on. If Scatchard and Blake had broken out as consisten goal-scoring threats a year earlier than they did, that team would have been elite.
Scatch never scores 20+ if Peca is healthy. There is a reason he scored 20+ before Peca, and 20+ after the Peca injury, but only 12 while Peca was playing.

I think Blake also got his first real opportunity the year after because Chow left.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:07 AM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

i was actually thinking about this today at work, i honestly think this team would beat the 01-02 team. i think the 01-02 team would get too over worked on the forcheck and i dont think they could keep up with the speed. that being said its very close.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:12 AM
MatthewBarnabysTears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Scatch never scores 20+ if Peca is healthy. There is a reason he scored 20+ before Peca, and 20+ after the Peca injury, but only 12 while Peca was playing.

I think Blake also got his first real opportunity the year after because Chow left.
My recollection was that Blake stayed almost exclusively on Scatchard's line until the'06-'07 season and that Lavy/Stirling mostly tried forcing Isbister, Asham, and eventually Czerkawski again into Yashin's RW. But you're probably right about Scatchard.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
Czerkawski over Boyes, nuff said.
...and that ain't saying much.

Center depth was better with the old team, even despite the fact that Yashin was a pile of ****. Wings back then were garbage.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:59 AM
MatthewBarnabysTears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
...and that ain't saying much.

Center depth was better with the old team, even despite the fact that Yashin was a pile of ****. Wings back then were garbage.
Yashin was close to a PPG. He gave this team his all, and lost the bulk of a couple of good seasons due to nasty injuries. It's not fair to blame him for the ridiculous, unprecedented 10 year contract.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:02 AM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
i was actually thinking about this today at work, i honestly think this team would beat the 01-02 team. i think the 01-02 team would get too over worked on the forcheck and i dont think they could keep up with the speed. that being said its very close.
I easily look over how fast our team is. If the 01-02 team played us now, in todays rules, we'd dominate. Other way around who knows.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:11 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Advantage

Coach : Laviolette VS Capuano, Advantage-Lavy

I will try to compare player to player instead of line vs line.

Forwards:

Yashin VS JT. They are similar in terms of scoring talent but JT is a much better all around player Advantage-JT

Peca Vs Nielsen. Very good 2 way players but scoring and intangibles go to Peca Advantage-Peca

Scatchard VS McDonald. Scatchard was a little tougher but these players are equals Advantage-None

Webb VS Martin. Both players loved to hit but Martin is a better fighter and has better hands. Advantage-MM

Czerkawski VS Boyes. Both players were a product of their centers. Neither played a good 2 way game and are eerily similar in many other ways. Advantage-None

Parrish VS Moulson. Nobody was better at standing in front of the net and deflecting pucks in then Parrish. The guy was unreal and very difficult to move when he parked his caboose in front of the crease. Moulson is similar but.. Advantage-Parrish

Isbister VS Joensuu. Both are big fellas and neither were very mobile. Isbister had tons of potential but never reached it in my eyes. JJ (in the short time I have seen him) I think is tougher. Advantage-None

Kvasha VS Okposo. Both have had their not so good moments but Kvasha was as soft as it gets. I hate to compare KO to him but I also think he could be a little bit tougher. Okposo has been a beast for a month or so and if he continues this 1 won't even be close Advantage-KO

Bates VS Grabner. Both excellent on the PK and both chipped in with goals. These are very similar players with the brains going to Bates but the speed going to Grabs. Advantage-None

Blake VS Bailey. Both can score and both play on the PK. Blake had the speed and was very "pesky" but Bailey is bigger and tougher. Also Blake was not the scorer back then(82 games 8-10-18 minus 13) Advantage-Bailey

Lapointe VS Cizikas. Not much to compare here. Lapointe has the experience and was a superb PK'er. Casey brings grit and intangibles. Tight one but..Advantage CC

K. Miller VS Aucoin. Not much here. Advantage-None

Hunter/Cummins VS Lee/Reasoner/Ullstrom/Boulton
Advantage - To early to comment.

Defense:

This I must do by pairings

Jonsson/Aucoin VS Hamonic/Mcdonald KJ and AA were excellent that season where as Hammer/AMAC have struggled at times. Kenny and Aucoin were also really good on the PP as where Hammer/AMAC are 3/4 on the PP Advantage - KJ/AA

Tarnstrom/Hamrlik VS Vishnovsky/Hickey The other Hammer was not very mobile and was more of a "PP" guy who was not great on the D side. Tarnstrom was small and neither were physical. VIS and Hickey are very similar to these 2 with the only difference being Hammer was a little bigger then VIS but I think VIS is quicker and has better vision. Advantage - NONE

Van Impe/Cairns VS Streit/Strait This one is not even close. Cairns/Van Impe have the physical presence but that's about it. Streit is a PP QB and not great defensively but he is way more mobile then those 2 and can join the rush and score. Strait is not much of a scorer but plays a very smart game. Advantage - SS

Schultz/Korolev VS Martinek/Carkner. It ain't even close. Advantage - MC

Goal:
Osgood VS Nabokov Very similar in terms of guys who have experience,smarts, and good positioning. Advantage - None

Snow VS Poulin 1 guy was at the end of his career and the other is maybe at the start. Experience wins this 1. Advantage - Snow

Last edited by MattMartin: 04-25-2013 at 02:28 AM.
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:25 AM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Advantage

Forwards:

Yashin VS JT. They are similar in terms of scoring talent but JT is a much better all around player Advantage-JT

Peca Vs Nielsen. Very good 2 way players but scoring and intangibles go to Peca Advantage-Peca

Scatchard VS McDonald. Scatchard was a little tougher but these players are equals Advantage-None

Webb VS Martin. Both players loved to hit but Martin is a better fighter and has better hands. Advantage-MM

Czerkawski VS Boyes. Both players were a product of their centers. Neither played a good 2 way game and are eerily similar in many other ways. Advantage-None

Parrish VS Moulson. Nobody was better at standing in front of the net and deflecting pucks in then Parrish. The guy was unreal and very difficult to move when he parked his caboose in front of the crease. Moulson is similar but.. Advantage-Parrish

Isbister VS Joensuu. Both are big fellas and neither were very mobile. Isbister had tons of potential but never reached it in my eyes. JJ (in the short time I have seen him) I think is tougher. Advantage-None

Kvasha VS Okposo. Both have had their not so good moments but Kvasha was as soft as it gets. I hate to compare KO to him but I also think he could be a little bit tougher. Okposo has been a beast for a month or so and if he continues this 1 won't even be close Advantage-KO

Bates VS Grabner. Both excellent on the PK and both chipped in with goals. These are very similar players with the brains going to Bates but the speed going to Grabs. Advantage-None

Blake VS Bailey. Both can score and both play on the PK. Blake had the speed and was very "pesky" but Bailey is bigger and tougher. Also Blake was not the scorer back then(82 games 8-10-18 minus 13) Advantage-Bailey

Lapointe VS Cizikas. Not much to compare here. Lapointe has the experience and was a superb PK'er. Casey brings grit and intangibles. Tight one but..Advantage CC

Defense:

Jonsson/Aucoin VS Hamonic/Mcdonald KJ and AA were excellent that season where as Hammer/AMAC have struggled at times. Kenny and Aucoin were also really good on the PP as where Hammer/AMAC are 3/4 on the PP Advantage - KJ/AA

Tarnstrom/Hamrlik VS Vishnovsky/Hickey The other Hammer was not very mobile and was more of a "PP" guy who was not great on the D side. Tarnstrom was small and neither were physical. VIS and Hickey are very similar to these 2 with the only difference being Hammer was a little bigger then VIS but I think VIS is quicker and has better vision. Advantage - NONE

Van Impe/Cairns VS Streit/Strait This one is not even close. Cairns/Van Impe have the physical presence but that's about it. Streit is a PP QB and not great defensively but he is way more mobile then those 2 and can join the rush and score. Strait is not much of a scorer but plays a very smart game. Advantage - SS

Goal:
Osgood VS Nabokov Very similar in terms of guys who have experience,smarts, and good positioning. Advantage - None

Snow VS Poulin 1 guy was at the end of his career and the other is maybe at the start. Experience wins this 1. Advantage - Snow
This is a very good comparison, nice post. The only one i do not agree with is Joensuu and Isbister. I think Brad gets this one, i really liked his style of play. But other than that, spot on.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 06:45 AM
PJGooch

Break down the rosters any way you want, but this year's team would get eaten alive in an ultra-physical playoff battle like the Toronto series.

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Break down the rosters any way you want, but this year's team would get eaten alive in an ultra-physical playoff battle like the Toronto series.
Maybe. It's worth noting how soft many of those '01-'02 players were. Peca, and so some extent Scatchard, were the toughness of the entire *team*. JT and Frans, while hardly physical guys, are far tougher than the vast majority of that roster. Hammer could be tough on occasion, too.

KJ, for all his smoothness, wilted, yes, WILTED under conditions of physical play. Isbister was the biggest perimeter player in hockey. Kvasha, besides having no idea about anything, had no idea how big he was. Czerkawski would lead the league in secondary assists for the other team.

We're going to have to see about players like Streit, Visnovsky, MacDonald, Hamonic, Bailey, Okposo in the playoffs (I have no doubts about JT and Frans, I have too much doubt about Moulson and Boyes). We just don't know how they'll respond to the elevated competitiveness/atmosphere.

Also, God forbid that the refs should let a series get out of control the way they did that series. I honesty hope the league won't let that happen, for anyone.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:05 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Maybe. It's worth noting how soft many of those '01-'02 players were. Peca, and so some extent Scatchard, were the toughness of the entire *team*. JT and Frans, while hardly physical guys, are far tougher than the vast majority of that roster. Hammer could be tough on occasion, too.

KJ, for all his smoothness, wilted, yes, WILTED under conditions of physical play. Isbister was the biggest perimeter player in hockey. Kvasha, besides having no idea about anything, had no idea how big he was. Czerkawski would lead the league in secondary assists for the other team.

We're going to have to see about players like Streit, Visnovsky, MacDonald, Hamonic, Bailey, Okposo in the playoffs (I have no doubts about JT and Frans, I have too much doubt about Moulson and Boyes). We just don't know how they'll respond to the elevated competitiveness/atmosphere.

Also, God forbid that the refs should let a series get out of control the way they did that series. I honesty hope the league won't let that happen, for anyone.
I believe the 2nd line will continue their play, it would be nice to see JT dominate again. Not happy about his game at all. I really think Hamonic is going to be the game changer for our playoff chances. He needs to step up big time and shut down the other teams top line if we want to go anywhere. It should be interesting to see who steps up, I think McDonald will be one of those guys who will score huge goals in the playoffs if we go far.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:30 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Well, I guess one thing not out of the question is that Poulin can be the GM of this team in 10 years.
He comes after DP.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
letsgoisles89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Advantage

Forwards:

Defense:

Goal:

Well done.

As mentioned above, I too disagree with Joennsu/Isbister.

Also, I disagree with McDonald/Scatchard here. Scatchard was a much more effective player at that point in his career compared to McDonald.

letsgoisles89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Wedregast

Quote:
I'd have to disagree. Besides Peca, Scatchard, Cairns, Webb, and Cummins there was no other toughness on the 01-02 team. On this years team you have Martin, Carkner, Hamonic, Cizikas, Ullstrom, or Boulton. As far as team toughness is concerned, I think it's close, I'd even give the edge to this years team over the 01-02 team.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
I'd have to disagree. Besides Peca, Scatchard, Cairns, Webb, and Cummins there was no other toughness on the 01-02 team. On this years team you have Martin, Carkner, Hamonic, Cizikas, Ullstrom, or Boulton. As far as team toughness is concerned, I think it's close, I'd even give the edge to this years team over the 01-02 team.
McDonald too.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 10:22 AM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Though the NHL has since *********. No way it allows a bloodbath series like Toronto 02 to happen again

The antics that both teams got away with would result in massive fines and suspensions these days. The hit on Jonsson is a 5-7 game suspension these days

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote