HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The official crow eating thread: I am now a believer

Old
04-25-2013, 02:27 PM
RedWingsNow*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
DRW fans are very fickled creatures. No doubt, Nashville will be playing the game of their lives tonight to help drive the knife in DRWs hearts. Predators know Detroit played 3 games in 4 nights... they are going to use that to their advantage.
My god. That's so absurd

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Jurky
Rotting in purgatory

vCash: 50
Quote:
DRW fans are very fickled creatures. No doubt, Nashville will be playing the game of their lives tonight to help drive the knife in DRWs hearts. Predators know Detroit played 3 games in 4 nights... they are going to use that to their advantage.
Yep starting Chris Mason and sending Forsberg down just screams "We really really want to win"

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Actual Thought*
Blashill Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post
So how do you defend Holland not making ONE move at the deadline? Pittsburgh made a move to get Iginila because they knew that almost guarantees them a spot in the Finals. A GM not making a move at the deadline is a sign that he is fine with mediocrity. And just making the playoffs is fine because that keeps the streak going.

I think a couple posters have to realize pre-cap Holland and post-cap Holland are two separate entities.
I can't pretend that I know every offer that Holland heard and turned down. Maybe he was brilliant in just not making the moves he could have. We don't know. However we do know that he has an extensive track record of success unparalleled by any arm chair GM on Hf. Do you really think Holland just isn't smart enough to build a good team in a cap era? That's absurd. He has been patient. This team isn't as far away as many here seem to think. I am glad he hasn't blown the whole thing up. Hopefully they get some opportunities to improve during the off season. This isn't the Detroit Lions. Take a deep breath.

Actual Thought* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Syckle78

vCash: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Meh I'm not gonna eat crow after two solid games from a desperate team. Hell, they aren't even in the playoffs yet.
Agreed. Seriously what the hell?

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:37 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

So looks like detroit will make it. Suppose they go out in the first round, can they still pick as low as at 15 at the draft?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:47 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Agreed. Seriously what the hell?
Wings have outplayed their opponents in the last 7 or 8 games or so to be fair. Have been playing good hockey for well more then 2 games

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
My god. That's so absurd
God forbid players bring their "A" game against a team they think is their rivalry. That's unheard of!!!1!!!
MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 04-25-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Trolling
HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:50 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Penguins gave up too much for Iginila, but Pens are going "all in" and trading valuable picks in a deep draft year, which should be used to maintain the quality of their future. It seems one GM doesn't care about the future, the other is thinking about the future.

Maybe if Wings had tanked for a bunch of years to get the Croby's, the Malkin's, and had 1st overalls to waste on the Fleury's... Holland can afford to mortgage the future.

Holland landed Damien Brunner and Danny Dekeyser for absolutely nothing got a pick for the departure of Stuart, and has stocked the prospect pool that looks legit, and has done all this without top 5 picks every year. While the Detroit Red Wings were playing in the SCFs and WCFs from 1996 to 2007, Penguins were banking top quality draft picks. Just goes to show how amazing our franchise is!
Are you trying to convince me and people that a SEVENTH (7th) ROUND DRAFT PICK is an amazing acquisition by Ken Holland lol? So he gets a 7th round draft pick for a player that knows is going to walk. So what do you think he could have gotten for Filppula, who at this point I'd wager is a 50/50 shot of walking? Surely at least a third rounder, yes? What about Ian White? Surely a third rounder, yes? Gustavson, probably a 4th rounder. It is a deep draft after all, isn't it?

See, what's going to happen, much like every year, is Ken Holland will go after x big name free agent and proclaim "the asking price was too high" and "we like our team" and we'll be left with the log jam that is this years roster. Think he'll buy out Samuelsson? Nope. He'll be in the top 6. Bertuzzi, who walks with a ****ing cane, on the LTIR? Nope. He'll be in the top 6. Buy out Carlo? Nah. Cleary? Oh, we all know he'll be back. Need that veteran presence right? Filppula wants 5+ million? No problem. All his moves, at this point, are bland and predictable. I used to genuinely get excited for the off-season and the trade deadline. I don't anymore, because it'll be the same shtick it is every year.

Damien Brunner is weaker on the puck than Jiri Hudler. If he's not scoring, he's useless. If he can't get open and have someone dish it to him, he's useless. He puts on 30 pounds in the off-season, he might have a shot to be a threat every game. DD does look like a bonafide everyday NHL player. They'll be in good hands with Ericcson, DD, Sproul, Ouellet and Smith. Forwards? Good luck trying to find a 30 goal scorer in that prospect pool.

Whatever. I hope they keep the playoff streak alive and we get to see at least 5 good games of playoff hockey before I have to watch Valverde choke in the World Series.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
God forbid players bring their "A" game against a team they think is their rivalry. That's unheard of!!!1!!!
There are examples of players who mail it in, while others who lead the charge, and something in between too. Are you generalizing?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 02:59 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
There are examples of players who mail it in, while others who lead the charge, and something in between too. Are you generalizing?
Do you think Preds are going to mail it in tonight? I certainly don't. I think they are going to play the game of lives tonight just for pride.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Do you think Preds are going to mail it in tonight? I certainly don't. I think they are going to play the game of lives tonight just for pride.

They're probably already packing their golf bags, so no, I don't see them as putting out a massive effort just to stick it to the Wings. They've had a bad season, no motivation now other than to get it over. In my opinion.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Jurky
Rotting in purgatory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Then why would they start Mason instead of Rinne?

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 03:03 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
They're probably already packing their golf bags, so no, I don't see them as putting out a massive effort just to stick it to the Wings. They've had a bad season, no motivation now other than to get it over. In my opinion.
Guess we'll see. But I suspect Preds are going to play a tight checking shut down game that will be a 1 or 2 goal game.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:06 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Then why would they start Mason instead of Rinne?
My guess is because Preds lost the last 10 of 11 games and want to make a goalie change to rally the team into playing a tight checking shut down game. When teams take away time and space from the Red Wings, they struggle. That's how you beat this team, which is why I think Detroit match up well against teams like Cancucks this year... Trotz knows this.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:09 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
So looks like detroit will make it. Suppose they go out in the first round, can they still pick as low as at 15 at the draft?
Assuming we finish with 53 points, let's assume that CBJ also lost tonight so we clinch, then we could be picking 15th or 16th. If we win out then we could pick as low as 21.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:06 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Assuming we finish with 53 points, let's assume that CBJ also lost tonight so we clinch, then we could be picking 15th or 16th. If we win out then we could pick as low as 21.
I think a lot fans will be pissed if Wings get bounced in the 2nd or 3rd round. That means the 2013 draft pick will be even worse. I want Holland to have good picks but I also want to watch more DRW hockey.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 704
Quote:
Why it is important to punch a team like this in the mouth right away. These guys are professionals and know somebody is always watching and this is how they make their living. Will they go crazy if we take a 3-0 or 4-0 lead to come back? No. But they will show up tonight, that is the kind of organization they are and the kind of coach they have. Starting Mason could help, but like I said he is one of those guys fighting for his NHL life, plenty of motivation.

Jump on them early and this shouldn't be problem, wait until late and you're going to have issues. Heck guys start trying during the all-star game in the third period if it is close. It takes a special kind of competitive drive to be a professional player, it is unusual to see them just role over. It does happen but I don't expect it at all.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Well, it's nice to see that at least a few people here aren't afraid to hope.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Stuck in Socal

Why was this thread made before we even clinched a playoff spot?

Major jinx thread it should be closed and deleted.

Seriously, we still have a lot of work to do.

Stuck in Socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
... and they're capitalizing on this by using their horrible backup goaltender? Of all goalies who have started more than one game this season, his save percentage is the absolute WORST in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck in Socal View Post
Why was this thread made before we even clinched a playoff spot?

Major jinx thread it should be closed and deleted.

Seriously, we still have a lot of work to do.
WE have absolutely no work to do. The team does. We don't, and thus this thread---even if you believe in jinxes and whatnot---will have no impact whatsoever on what will happen.

This thread was made because the OP wanted to share that he now has faith in the team's abilities.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:54 AM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Why would anybody have to eat crow just because a team that we knew had a chance to make the playoffs has a chance to make the playoffs. The team being where we thought they would be doesn't make Holland look any better or worse. Put that crow down and have some KFC.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:01 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Why would anybody have to eat crow just because a team that we knew had a chance to make the playoffs has a chance to make the playoffs. The team being where we thought they would be doesn't make Holland look any better or worse. Put that crow down and have some KFC.
Because if they play like this vs Chicago or Anaheim it may actually be a series opposed to a slaughter

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Because if they play like this vs Chicago or Anaheim it may actually be a series opposed to a slaughter
Bingo.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
RedMachine87

If your team makes the playoffs during a rebuild/transition year then they must be doing something right. Just saying

Last edited by RedMachine87: 04-26-2013 at 12:19 PM.
RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:23 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
I think a lot fans will be pissed if Wings get bounced in the 2nd or 3rd round. That means the 2013 draft pick will be even worse. I want Holland to have good picks but I also want to watch more DRW hockey.
Meh, the major talent is in the first 7 or 10 picks, if we're not up that high might as well do good in the playoffs. Once you get past those guys everyone starts to have some question marks about their game. This is also a deep draft so if we can upset the Ducks/Hawks and still pick up Lazar/Hagg/Zykov I'll call it a good year.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote