HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fix the Oilers.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:24 PM
bardfromedson

vCash: 500
trade 1st overall and musil + to Philly for coutourier and L schenn or schenn brothers
trade gagner and petry to phx for yandle
overpay and/or trade hemsky for some bottom 6 size and grit
smyth and belanger on waivers. buy out one if u have to
sign n. horton
2nd and prospect for Bernier

hall rnh ebs
yak schenn/couturier horton
mps horc ??
brown ?? harski
lander

yandle smid
schenn j. schultz
klefbom n. scultz
fistric

Dubnyk/ Bernier

trade or buy out horc if lander is ready to step up after next season

bardfromedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:29 PM
bardfromedson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redden View Post
The Oilers had the potential to make the playoffs this year, everyone is forgetting that we were there two and a half weeks ago. The team just completely fell apart. What we need is a culture change, a few very respected vets who actually know how to win. Here's what I'd do:
1. Draft the bpa who is 6'0 and up, lets just say barkov or monahan (you don't throw away lottery picks just because you've had them the last three years)
2. Trade hemsky for an elite third line grinder
3. Trade Gagner for a #3/4 dman. Barkov or monahan could have that spot or sign a stop gap ufa for a year of two
4. Sign one of Jagr or Iginla. I know forwards aren't our need but these are the types of player who will teach the kids the nuisances of the game and how to win. Look at how much Jagr helped out Giroux. A team with iginla or Jagr on it wouldn't stand to tank like we did this bad. Also once we get in cap trouble they're contracts will be up.
5. Sign some bottom 6 forwards at the right price and let lander and Hartikainen really develop in the ahl.
he has to clear waivers next year so he is on the big club or gone. not sure if lander can be sent down next year

bardfromedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:33 PM
HolyShot*
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler is Bestler View Post
Hire ruff, sign Scuderi, trade Yakupov for a 3rd line C
I think the kings are going to re-sign scuderi.

HolyShot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:06 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugginThePost View Post
So none of the good players....just the ones the fans have grown tired of. Seems about right.
I wasn't so much making a proposal as I was trying to realistically assess what Edmonton management might go for.

J Shultz is untouchable because he chose to come to Edmonton. The optics would be terrible. Also, Edmonton really can't afford to be moving D, and management clearly thinks he and Klefbom are going to be a top pairing in a few years.

RNH is untouchable because Edmonton has no centre depth and he's the only one in the system with #1c potential. Moving him for a winger and dman would cripple the team and make no sense.

You can argue taking Hall and Yakupov off the table is being unfair, but Hall is clearly the heart and soul of the team, and players like Yakupov are almost never traded that young because there's just too much potential there. And I did open the door a crack that even Yakupov might be available because of Edmonton's depth at right wing.

Edmonton's first this year is an extremely valuable piece. Their first next year is speculative, but firsts always have value and lets face it, this is Edmonton. The playoffs are a maybe at best.

Lucic is obviously a very sought after player, but Edmonton would be taking on a fair amount of risk. He's underperformed this season, and his contract his huge. Edmonton's management is definitely willing to take on that risk, but the price has to make sense for both sides. The 2013 and 2014 first or Eberle + 2014 first is hardly an outrageous starting point. Look at the Kessel trade. Worked out pretty well for Boston. I would make a more concrete proposal, but I don't know enough about Boston's needs.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:17 PM
hockeygeek

Edmonton needs to stop telling the young guys how awesome they are and start asking them to win some games. MacTavish needs to trade one of the "untradeables" this summer. That's the biggest message he can send the young guys

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:25 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
The Oilers had the potential to make the playoffs this year, everyone is forgetting that we were there two and a half weeks ago. The team just completely fell apart. What we need is a culture change, a few very respected vets who actually know how to win. Here's what I'd do:
1. Draft the bpa who is 6'0 and up, lets just say barkov or monahan (you don't throw away lottery picks just because you've had them the last three years)
3. Trade Gagner for a #3/4 dman. Barkov or monahan could have that spot or sign a stop gap ufa for a year of two
4. Sign one of Jagr or Iginla. I know forwards aren't our need but these are the types of player who will teach the kids the nuisances of the game and how to win. Look at how much Jagr helped out Giroux. A team with iginla or Jagr on it wouldn't stand to tank like we did this bad. Also once we get in cap trouble they're contracts will be up.
5. Sign some bottom 6 forwards at the right price and let lander and Hartikainen really develop in the ahl.

Didnt RNH/Eberle/Hall all have 0 points during their 6 game losing streak...

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:31 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Sorry but hanging in for contention for a playoff spot for just over 30 or 35 games of a shortened season does not convince me that major changes are not needed. The Oilers may be able to keep all of Eberle, Hall, RNH and Yakupov but I wouldn't rule out dangling Eberle as a trade chip and seeing what I could get back. Major changes need to be made this offseason IMO as we've seen little improvement from year to year.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:40 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Trade Yakupov for a third line C.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
Edmonton needs to stop telling the young guys how awesome they are and start asking them to win some games. MacTavish needs to trade one of the "untradeables" this summer. That's the biggest message he can send the young guys
Can they try to get rid of Horcoff and Hemsky, first ?

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:51 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - Mackinnon - Hemsky
McDavid - Reinhart - MPS
Regin - Eller - Nielsen

Smid - Jones
Ekblad - Day
Shultz - Klefbom

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Yes, because it's the young guys that are causing the Oilers to suck...

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:03 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Oilers top 6 point getters are 23 and younger. That's all on Lowe/Tambo and the gang since the vets they do have suck and everyone knows it.

Has there been an even remotely successful team in the last 20 years that only depends on a bunch of kids to produce all of their offense? They even gave 19 year old Nuge top line match-up duty this year and 5.5 cap hit Horc did next to nothing with the easier ice time.

Last edited by oobga: 04-26-2013 at 03:23 PM.
oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:12 PM
hockeygeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Can they try to get rid of Horcoff and Hemsky, first ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Yeah....the young guys underperformed...Hall excluded. Blame the vets all you want but it's not their team anymore. Gonna have to start holding them accountable

Old
04-26-2013, 03:37 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Yeah....the young guys underperformed...Hall excluded. Blame the vets all you want but it's not their team anymore. Gonna have to start holding them accountable
Agreed. Either that or change their moniker from the big 4 to the big 1 plus the medium 3.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:39 PM
NeutralZone

Quote:
Honestly, I don't get this attitude. It's RNH's second season. He's was a teenager up until a couple weeks ago. He's been given the tough, top line minutes against the best lines in the West. And he actually did an okay job of it, rounding out his game and improving in a lot of areas. But understandably his offence was down. Some of that's puck luck as well - his shooting percentage was pretty low.

You can blame Eberle I suppose, but he was playing next to RNH the whole season. It's pretty much the same issue, a drop in offence due to playing much tougher minutes. And he still put up 0.7 points per game, so it's not like he's fallen off the map.

Do people really expect that the a team who's "core" has an average of one season each of NHL experience is going to be brining home the cup? And that they're going to do it with no support from a crew of underperforming vets?

Yeah, it's the kids' team now, but success is going to be built up over a number of seasons of hard work, not come all at once just because the torch has been passed. And without the right supporting role players, that success will never come at all.

There's holding players accountable, and then theirs blaming them for unreasonable expectations.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

time machine might work.
go back and trade one of the last #1s for some combo of a solid defenseman, solid defensive prospect, a later-round #1, and a couple of #2s, and a top tier goalie prospect.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:45 PM
KarlssonnSchultz

I still think that Winnipeg and Edmonton are perfect trading partners for each other.

Something like Bogosion+Burmistrov for Gagner Eberle and Gernat or mancin

Maybe not exactly shaped that way but then Kane kane play with Gagner and Eberle on the second line and the Jets have Trouba coming in soon. The Oilers then draft Barkov or Monahan if they can.

Ladd Little Wheeler
Kane Gagner Eberle

Byfuglien-Stuart
Enstrom-Trouba

Paajarvi Nuge Yak
Hall- Monahan/Barkov-?
-Burmistrov-

Schultz Bogo
Petry/smid/Klefbom

I can see why both teams would shy away from a deal like this but I think it would help both teams. The Jets could then draft a player of any position really. Just BPA.

KarlssonnSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Yakupov had a very good year.

Nugent-Hopkins played the whole year with a shoulder that required surgery. His numbers were down, though he still played at a pace for a 50 point season. He was also very good defensivley playing against the conferences' best players.

Eberle also struggled to put up the same numbers as last year, possibly due to a badly injured finger. But even if you ignore that he still had 13 goals and 32 points in 46 games. That prorates to 23 goals and 57 points. It also puts him tied for 15th amongst RW in the league in scoring.

Ryan Smyth and Ryan Jones scored 36 goals between them last year. This year they have 4 combined.

Everyone on the team shares in the blame for this poor season. But the problem is not the kids.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:01 PM
hockeygeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Honestly, I don't get this attitude. It's RNH's second season. He's was a teenager up until a couple weeks ago. He's been given the tough, top line minutes against the best lines in the West. And he actually did an okay job of it, rounding out his game and improving in a lot of areas. But understandably his offence was down. Some of that's puck luck as well - his shooting percentage was pretty low.

You can blame Eberle I suppose, but he was playing next to RNH the whole season. It's pretty much the same issue, a drop in offence due to playing much tougher minutes. And he still put up 0.7 points per game, so it's not like he's fallen off the map.

Do people really expect that the a team who's "core" has an average of one season each of NHL experience is going to be brining home the cup? And that they're going to do it with no support from a crew of underperforming vets?

Yeah, it's the kids' team now, but success is going to be built up over a number of seasons of hard work, not come all at once just because the torch has been passed. And without the right supporting role players, that success will never come at all.

There's holding players accountable, and then theirs blaming them for unreasonable expectations.
Not blaming. Just saying it's time to stop shielding the kids with veterans and excuses and asking them for a little more. A little tough love is needed for the Oilers to grow. I think asking them to perform at a higher level is far from unrealistic expectations.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
SephF
Patreeky

Quote:

Yeah, that'll fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
time machine might work.
go back and trade one of the last #1s for some combo of a solid defenseman, solid defensive prospect, a later-round #1, and a couple of #2s, and a top tier goalie prospect.
Why would they need a time machine? The pick has value but the players don't? I don't get it.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:07 PM
BOUNCE

Its going to take patience. We will start winning once our kids start maturing and we get some REAL bottom 6 and top4 D help.

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:56 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Not blaming. Just saying it's time to stop shielding the kids with veterans and excuses and asking them for a little more. A little tough love is needed for the Oilers to grow. I think asking them to perform at a higher level is far from unrealistic expectations.
Shielding the kids means they're playing soft minutes and get the vets to play the hard minutes. The Oilers young players played the hard minutes this season and the vets flopped while playing the soft minutes. So imagine just how bad this team would be if the vets actually played the hard minutes. We'd be last in the league again.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:59 PM
The Big Unit

Prospect and team development does not look like an acceleration curve guys. Sometimes players learn some valuable lessons in off years that benefit them the remainder of their careers.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Kodiak64

1) Remove Kevin Lowe. It's pretty clear that his firing is incredibly unlikely so we're going to need someone to take the jail time and assassinate him ( )

2) Replace the "losing culture" vets.
SMYTH: I love him, growing up as a fan in the 90's he was the Oilers. He's done. No one can defeat father time, I hope he realizes it and retires before further tarnishing his legacy in this city.

BELANGER: moved for literally anything. (compliance buyout if necessary)

HORCOFF: same as Belanger. A lot of Oilers fans will say that Horcoff is a serviceable third line C and he may be. His contract, while AWFUL is not really hurting the Oilers cap situation, BUT he has been the captain over the worst stretch of hockey in oilers history, and based on his post game comments is complacent with losses featuring extremely poor efforts. IMO he doesn't demand accountability from his teammates or even himself (hence the nickname "Teflon Shawn" blame sliding right off him.)

HEMSKY: another guy that has been here throughout the rebuild, and with his production declining and our only depth position being RW move him for ideally a top 4 defenseman/first round pick/2C (Maybe I'm overstating his value, get a defenceman at least as good as one of our top four. ie. not that great. Or a 3C)

WHITNEY: What happened to this guy? Looked like a legit top pair d-man in his first season here and has never recovered from his foot surgery.

Removing Horcoff and Belanger unfortunatly hurts the oilers already weak centre depth, which brings me to:

3) Acquire 2 NHL centres.
2C needs to "play big" even if they're not big, and for the love of god win a faceoff. With our top six, goals would be just gravy. Acquire a 3C from either UFA or trade.

4) Acquire 2 top 4 defenceman. They don't have to be "true number 1" defensemen, they just need to push everyone we currently have down the depth chart at least 1 spot.

5) Acquire a goalie capeable of strongly competing with Dubnyk for the starting job.

The problems with the Oilers are numerous and unfortunatly the only position of strength to deal from is top 6 RW.

IDEALLY IN: 2C with size or "plays big" and can win faceoffs. 3C. 2 top 4 defense. Goalie at least as good as Dubnyk.

IDEALLY OUT: Smyth, Horcoff, Belanger.

NOT WILLING TO MOVE: (excluding ridiculous overpayment) Hall, RNH, Yakupov, J.Shultz.

Everything else is tradeable including Eberle, Klefbom, and all picks, for the right price of course.

TL;DR It's probably a good thing I'm not an NHL GM

Kodiak64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:34 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Yakupov - Mackinnon - Hemsky
McDavid - Reinhart - MPS
Regin - Eller - Nielsen

Smid - Jones
Ekblad - Day
Shultz - Klefbom
Still drafts 1st overall because horrible.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote