HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Depth is the Key

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Fan101

vCash: 500
Depth is the Key

If the organization has done it's homework and Weinhandl, Hunter, Papineau, Mapletoft and Bergenheim all prove to be capable starters, then this team will have real forward depth. Something they did not have, even 2 yrs ago when they had the great start. Add a healthy body or two to the d corp and we are talking about a serious hockey team here. Little wonder that the player development at BRI along with their coach Sterling pushed LaViolette out of his job.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:59 PM
Jones23

It is very promising to see all this depth as it bodes well for now and for the future.This organization sets up really well for being a competitive team for many years to come.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:44 PM
vinrock12

This Team's Depth Is Real Exciting... It Also Means That Players Like Kavsha , Bates , Parrish And Czerkawski Will Feel Heat All Year ....and Thats A Good Thing . There Will Not Be No Tolerence For These Players To Play In Stretches Like They Did Last Year ..they Will Be Forced To Go Hard From Game 1 This Year To Game 82 ....and Hopefully The Playoffs. Thats Why The Depth Is A Real Good Thing Even If A Hunter And A Bergenhiem Go Back To The Minors ,and Finland. Kvsha-yash-ckawski....... Papineau-peca-parrish..... Wiemer-scatch-blake..... Asham-mapletoft-bates.... Godard - Extra Foward....

Old
09-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrock12
This Team's Depth Is Real Exciting... It Also Means That Players Like Kavsha , Bates , Parrish And Czerkawski Will Feel Heat All Year ....and Thats A Good Thing . There Will Not Be No Tolerence For These Players To Play In Stretches Like They Did Last Year ..they Will Be Forced To Go Hard From Game 1 This Year To Game 82 ....and Hopefully The Playoffs. Thats Why The Depth Is A Real Good Thing Even If A Hunter And A Bergenhiem Go Back To The Minors ,and Finland. Kvsha-yash-ckawski....... Papineau-peca-parrish..... Wiemer-scatch-blake..... Asham-mapletoft-bates.... Godard - Extra Foward....

Well Said! Let's hope you are right one every point.

BTW, I see you are newly registered. Welcome to the board!

09-25-2003, 04:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

If Kvasha and Czerkawski start off nice and cold, I wouldn't mind seeing Papineau and Hunter being placing next to Yashin.

Of course, that is until Weinhandl returns, and then I hope he's right next to Yashin anyways.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:33 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
I see that Papineau scored another goal last night.

Is he on his way to being in the lineup on opening night? I'd like to see that line of Papineau - Peca - Parrish.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:48 AM
NYIsles1*

We'll see. Hopefully a few of these players are ready to
contribute here. It will not take much for the Isles to go from a team with little NHL depth to a team with too much.

Papineau is the highest pick so he really is the one the organization shoud expect the most from. He is scoring, is he doing the other things necessary to stay with an NHL team?

Papineau had four goals in a preseason game a year ago and did not stick with the Blues.

Old
09-25-2003, 10:01 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
We'll see. Hopefully a few of these players are ready to
contribute here. It will not take much for the Isles to go from a team with little NHL depth to a team with too much.

Papineau is the highest pick so he really is the one the organization shoud expect the most from. He is scoring, is he doing the other things necessary to stay with an NHL team?

Papineau had four goals in a preseason game a year ago and did not stick with the Blues.
Offensively gifted guys like him tend to do well in the open-ice that comes with the preseason. The real question is whether he has the physical attributes to handle the grind and defensive demands of the regular system.

Old
09-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Offensively gifted guys like him tend to do well in the open-ice that comes with the preseason. The real question is whether he has the physical attributes to handle the grind and defensive demands of the regular system.
Agreed. But who would you rather give the shot at scoring goals for the Isles, him, or an old hand like Chow, Robataille, etc.? I'm all for the new guy Pap. We may even be able to teach him to be a pesky backchecker. IF that's the case, he could be valuable. Fingers are crossed.

Old
09-25-2003, 10:32 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle
If Kvasha and Czerkawski start off nice and cold, I wouldn't mind seeing Papineau and Hunter being placing next to Yashin.

Of course, that is until Weinhandl returns, and then I hope he's right next to Yashin anyways.
I think Hunter has the least shot of making the team. Skating, skating, skating... I'm not sure that he's not the next Ray Sheppard, but on a team with limited roster space, you want a guy who can both score and skate so that if he's not doing one, he can do the other. Hunter brings size, it's true, and I'd love if he could slot in on a later line and contribute, but I tend to see him as an AHLer unless he gets a lucky break. Pap seems more gifted offensively and can definitely move. I think that latter dimension will be valuable to a team that plays sound team defense. You need players who can Quickly capitalize on any mistake and cash in.

Old
09-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Fan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut
I think Hunter has the least shot of making the team. Skating, skating, skating... I'm not sure that he's not the next Ray Sheppard, but on a team with limited roster space, you want a guy who can both score and skate so that if he's not doing one, he can do the other. Hunter brings size, it's true, and I'd love if he could slot in on a later line and contribute, but I tend to see him as an AHLer unless he gets a lucky break. Pap seems more gifted offensively and can definitely move. I think that latter dimension will be valuable to a team that plays sound team defense. You need players who can Quickly capitalize on any mistake and cash in.
Sterling's coaching is designed to protect the defensive zone and setup the breakout which favors faster skaters like Blake etc. Hunter's skating may limit him but his defensive play, good hands and possible use as a slot man on the PP may help him stay.

Closed Thread