HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Hockey Championships Talk (Kristo, Galchenyuk, Bozon, Diaz, Plekanec, Subban)

Old
05-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Crimson Skorpion
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Who was playing on the line with Pacioretty last year at the Worlds? Was it Stastny?
Patches-Stastny-Ryan

Line clicked well, which led to tons of trade proposals from this board to fetch Ryan. Good times.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
And Bobby Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Encounter View Post
Patches-Stastny-Ryan

Line clicked well, which led to tons of trade proposals from this board to fetch Ryan. Good times.
Thanks guys

Couldn't remember the other winger

Maybe Bergevin should go after Paul and try to move Pleks

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Stastny is more creative but not as good defensively as Plekanec. I think Stastny has improved his overall game over the last couple of years especially the play away from the puck. I would say Pleks is still the better player but the gap isn't that big.

I'd be happy if Sastny, Galchenyuk and Eller would be our centres going forward. Pleks seems to be part of the old era and now it's time to move on.
Does it seems like good management to throw money at stastny/ at colorado to get exactly what we have now ? We shouldn't be looking to add a center unless he can be a number 1. And I mean a real number one, above Plekanec, not a yeah, but.... or an upgrade somewhere else like on the fourth line.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Does it seems like good management to throw money at stastny/ at colorado to get exactly what we have now ? We shouldn't be looking to add a center unless he can be a number 1. And I mean a real number one, above Plekanec, not a yeah, but.... or an upgrade somewhere else like on the fourth line.
Stastny hit the 70+ points 3 times already in his career compared to Pleks once which he had 70pts on the nose. Offensively given the players I do think Stastny is better, it's defensively the problem and it's not like if DD can step in and take of that aspect of the game for us

Old
05-17-2013, 01:27 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Stastny hit the 70+ points 3 times already in his career compared to Pleks once which he had 70pts on the nose. Offensively given the players I do think Stastny is better, it's defensively the problem and it's not like if DD can step in and take of that aspect of the game for us
It's Desharnais we need to switch for Stastny. Now that would make a considerable difference.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerdom View Post
It's Desharnais we need to switch for Stastny. Now that would make a considerable difference.
1 the Avs wouldn't want DD in return and 2 it's not enough money coming off the books in exchange anyways, that's why I went with Pleks and his 5 million salary. We would still have to add

Old
05-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Guilliam

Yeah let's trade Pleks for another center who is barely superior to him, is paid 1,6M more and will be a UFA next summer. So next year we can all get together and ***** and whine about how we traded Plekanec for nothing!

Great idea guys!

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Lars Eller can more than fill that role next year and going forward

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Yeah let's trade Pleks for another center who is barely superior to him, is paid 1,6M more and will be a UFA next summer. So next year we can all get together and ***** and whine about how we traded Plekanec for nothing!

Great idea guys!
Well the "idea" is to re-sign Stastny if we acquire him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Great idea guys!
Assuming the Habs did make this trade...what makes you think they will have traded him for nothing?

Stastny is signed for 1 more year at a heavy ticket, Habs could see how he pans out next year and either re-sign him to a long term deal at a lower cap hit, trade him or just let him walk.

That opens up 6.6M on the cap for the Habs to play with...

The Habs have maxed out what they can get out of Plekanec, nothing against him, he's a very solid player. But how much future does he really have with the Habs? at 5.5M for another 3 years, might be worth it to move him while you still can...

I know I wouldn't hesitate to swap them for each other...but that's just me.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Or trade him if it doesn't work out...or just let him walk and open up 6.6M on the cap.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Lars Eller can more than fill that role next year and going forward
Which I have no problem but would Bergevin really get rid of both Pleks and DD the same summer? Especially DD that he just extended

Old
05-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Which I have no problem but would Bergevin really get rid of both Pleks and DD the same summer? Especially DD that he just extended
Therein lies the conundrum...I don't really anticipate a scenario in which the Habs move Plekanec at this point anyways, so it's all moot really.

But the DD situation will be interesting to follow

Wonder if MB would like a 'do-over' on that one...regardless of if DD bounces back to the DD of last year, next year.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Therein lies the conundrum...I don't really anticipate a scenario in which the Habs move Plekanec at this point anyways, so it's all moot really.

But the DD situation will be interesting to follow

Wonder if MB would like a 'do-over' on that one...regardless of if DD bounces back to the DD of last year, next year.
Not to be negative but I don't see DD turning it around next year. I really don't get the extension especially with Eller and Galchenyuk who are ready for more ice time. I think 1 of Pleks or DD get's moved this summer and if I had to put money right now it would be on Pleks (not that I agree with it)

Old
05-17-2013, 02:27 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

Quote:
Assuming the Habs did make this trade...what makes you think they will have traded him for nothing?

Stastny is signed for 1 more year at a heavy ticket, Habs could see how he pans out next year and either re-sign him to a long term deal at a lower cap hit, trade him or just let him walk.

The Habs have maxed out what they can get out of Plekanec, nothing against him, he's a very solid player. But how much future does he really have with the Habs? at 5.5M for another 3 years, might be worth it to move him while you still can...

I've always had difficulties with that type of reasoning. It's the same reasoning people had with Koivu back in the day : We haven't won anything with Koivu, let's trade him.

You don't win anything with certain players until they are surrounded appropriately. Plekanec is not the answer to our problems but he's not the problem either.

There are many areas to concentrate on before thinking of replacing Plekanec. Replacing him would require a ton of effort, there would be a lot of risk involved and the reward is not really that interesting.

I say all those things, but I don't have any solutions to provide either. For now, I'm content in letting MB figure it out.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I've always had difficulties with that type of reasoning. It's the same reasoning people had with Koivu back in the day : We haven't won anything with Koivu, let's trade him.

You don't win anything with certain players until they are surrounded appropriately. Plekanec is not the answer to our problems but he's not the problem either.

There are many areas to concentrate on before thinking of replacing Plekanec. Replacing him would require a ton of effort, there would be a lot of risk involved and the reward is not really that interesting.

I say all those things, but I don't have any solutions to provide either. For now, I'm content in letting MB figure it out.
Koivu is a good example...glad you brought it up.

Maybe the Habs might be in a different position today had they decided to move him during some of those 'dark years'. Just a thought??

I agree, I don't think Plekanec is the problem, the only reason I think the Habs should consider trading him is because I think he's one of the few valuable pieces the Habs CAN afford to trade without significantly mortgaging their future.

The Habs have been stuck in this cycle of mediocrity for too long, there's a new regime that's full of energy and enthusiam right now, they're coming off a very successful 1st year...might be time to make bold decisions to try to accelerate this 'transitional phase' the Habs are going through. IMO...the future of the Habs consists of Price, Subban, Tinordi, Emelin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, I would try to build around these players.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Well why not just wait until he's a free agent sign him then and trade Plekanec for something a little more valuable than 1 year of a center that is barely superior to him?

You can sign him when is UFA wether you traded for him ornot so the trade is still Pleks for one year of Stastny.

Quote:

First of all Plekanec earns 5M, not 5,5.
Second, for the first time in I don't know how long we actually HAVE depth at center. The time when we have to pay through the nose to get one is over. Why not enjoy that?

The way I see it, it's pretty simple : we have 4 top 9 centers so you decide which 3 you want to keep and you trade the other one, be it Plekanec or DD or Eller, for something YOU DON'T HAVE! I suspect this will only happen next year though.

Trading Plekanec for Stastny is a sideway move at best and does nothing to improve any of the team's weaknesses.

Old
05-17-2013, 02:44 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

Quote:

Maybe the Habs might be in a different position today had they decided to move him during some of those 'dark years'. Just a thought??
They would have been a different team for sure. I don't know if the habs had moved Koivu, how it would have made other centers available though. The truth is that you need more than 1 good center. Having Koivu never prevented us from getting another good center.

Quote:
I agree, I don't think Plekanec is the problem, the only reason I think the Habs should consider trading him is because I think he's one of the few valuable pieces the Habs CAN afford to trade without significantly mortgaging their future.
It's true. But it's a bit like Bergevin said. With trades, you often create a hole to fill a hole. It just seems like replacing Plekanec would be an endeavor where we would work really hard to not achieve much of anything.

Quote:
The Habs have been stuck in this cycle of mediocrity for too long, there's a new regime that's full of energy and enthusiam right now, they're coming off a very successful 1st year...might be time to make bold decisions to try to accelerate this 'transitional phase' the Habs are going through. IMO...the future of the Habs consists of Price, Subban, Tinordi, Emelin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, I would try to build around these players.
Bold decisions like Burke's decisions? I don't know how often that really works. Sometimes you catch lightning in a bottle (Niedermayer+Pronger in Anaheim), but more often than not it's a lateral move at best (Kessel for Seguin+Hamilton).

Argh.. this isn't really the thread for this. I miss the days where this board was a mess.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Draft

Quote:

I am in full support of what you're saying. Maybe not accelerate the transitional phase but perhaps raise the ceiling of our future roster.

In my opinion, the biggest risk we'll be taking is not being wholly successful in the next couple of seasons. I don't think there's any real worry of Eller and Galchenyuk not "developing" properly. They don't HAVE to be depended on for top-6 minutes or tough defensive minutes, there are other players, and centres, on the team. If the purpose of the next couple of years is to develop our players slowly and properly and not to "succeed", I'm positive our coaching staff will make sure it's done.

I'd add Beaulieu to that list.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:59 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'd add Beaulieu to that list.
and Pacioretty

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:01 PM
kovaless

You don't trade your best most responsible defensive Centre when you are building.
If the habs want to make the playoffs next year, you can't trade pleks. It was so obvious, play him with better wingers. He has been shafted since Kovalev left. He nerds to play with 1 star winger. That's not too much to ask. Considering all the secondary stuff you get with him.

kovaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Or trade him if it doesn't work out...or just let him walk and open up 6.6M on the cap.
Well you have 1 year to know if it works or not? And letting him walk to open up cap space...well you have to be sure you'll use it unless it will be a big hole to fill...

Quote:
Well why not just wait until he's a free agent sign him then and trade Plekanec for something a little more valuable than 1 year of a center that is barely superior to him?
'Cause chances are you won't be able to sign him with the 29 other teams interested. This is Montreal....where you have to overpay the overpaid.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
1 the Avs wouldn't want DD in return and 2 it's not enough money coming off the books in exchange anyways, that's why I went with Pleks and his 5 million salary. We would still have to add
Add Bourque and Diaz to Desharnais.

Having two high tough minute playing centers in Plekanec/Stastny will compensate more than enough compensate the losses of Diaz and Bourque. More importantly, it'd be a lot more feasible to ease in Galchenyuk at center.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 02:53 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Well you have 1 year to know if it works or not? And letting him walk to open up cap space...well you have to be sure you'll use it unless it will be a big hole to fill...

'Cause chances are you won't be able to sign him with the 29 other teams interested. This is Montreal....where you have to overpay the overpaid.
But if we trade for him he's gonna magically sign here nd not test the market? Because he played here one season?

There is still a big fat chance that he leaves and then we have traded Pleks for nothing.

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to trade one of our 4 top 9 center to get something we actually need? Like, I don't know. Big physical winger or defenceman?

Old
05-18-2013, 03:00 AM
ottawa

vCash: 69
Came in thinking this thread would be about the WHC but apperently it's the second trade proposal thread

Last edited by ottawa: 05-18-2013 at 03:07 AM.
ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote