HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers/Prospects In the WC

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2005, 04:04 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Hi all, been away over the weekend but have still been able to see the Swedish games. Don't know whats up with Pöck and Prucha though...

Lundqvist needs to work with his expectations on himself. He is unexperienced and I am sure it will come with time but right now he is looking for the perfect game, every night... After a goal or two are scored on him he looses focus. He have not even had a great period so far in the tournemnt and seems extremly frustrated by it. Either he haven't had anything to work with or goals have been scored on him... Although the tournment have been really strange in the sense that Sweden have either dominated completly or really sucked defensivly. He is not exactly getting any warmup. Like against USA, 5 shoots in the first period. A goal is scored on the 5th shoot at 19.40 after Johan Franzen made a idiotic misstake. Then in the 2nd he gets maybe a shoot or two and then 3 straight breakaways.

Still there are allot of time left to rebound in this tournament, it have barely started yet...(except for the finns who could be eliminated before the quaterfinals... )

Old
05-09-2005, 04:18 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
What worries me is Lundqvist seems to have problems when facing north americans. He had it yesterday, and in last years final vs Canada. But hopefully it's just a coincidence. He is a great goalie, but haven't shown everything he can yet.

I think he has been a little to hyped by swedish media, he is playing under heavy pressure. Every day he is in the paper in Sweden, he is the star, he is called the best goaltender on the big icesurface. Aint easy for a 23 y o kid to handle that.

Old
05-09-2005, 04:51 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
What worries me is Lundqvist seems to have problems when facing north americans. He had it yesterday, and in last years final vs Canada. But hopefully it's just a coincidence. He is a great goalie, but haven't shown everything he can yet.

I think he has been a little to hyped by swedish media, he is playing under heavy pressure. Every day he is in the paper in Sweden, he is the star, he is called the best goaltender on the big icesurface. Aint easy for a 23 y o kid to handle that.
You are right that he is overhyped by Swedish media. If he wasn't he would be the best in the world second to none. Thats how swedish media and Aftonbladet works and sells papers. There are still allot of time left in this tournament + that Lundqvist have been really unlucky so far + that he haven't played a single game so far where he have been given a chance to play great. North americans aren't famous for shooting 5 shoots per period like USA did, 20 in the entire game and 5 or 6 of them beeing breakaways and a couple of 2 on 1's...

Old
05-09-2005, 05:05 AM
Robertsson 4-ever

Send a message via ICQ to Robertsson 4-ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
North americans aren't famous for shooting 5 shoots per period like USA did, 20 in the entire game and 5 or 6 of them beeing breakaways and a couple of 2 on 1's...
No, I know. But when they get a breakaway they are really effective. The are good at putting the puck up high just below the crossbar. No sloppy shots like it can be in the SEL.

Old
05-09-2005, 05:31 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsson 4-ever
No, I know. But when they get a breakaway they are really effective. The are good at putting the puck up high just below the crossbar. No sloppy shots like it can be in the SEL.
Still I belive that the biggest problem so far is that he is comming from playing extremly solid in something like 63 out of 67 games this year into a situation where he haven't been given a chance at playing well, or near a level he is used to. Either his defense have thrown the pucks into his net(Kenny Jönsson against Ukraine) or set up open nets(Johan Franzen against US) and its made him really frustrated that he up to this point haven't beeen able to show the world his "A" game. I heard a interview with him after the game last night and he was extremly pissed, because of a game that didn't mean anything...

It sure are gooing to be really interesting seeing how he will perform from this point and on. He have been able to rebound extremly well before after bad games. If he can do it this year in the WCH with the extreme pressure he is under it will be a extremely impressive showing! If he won't, it won't be that suprising...

Also what people are forgetting is just how much firepower teams have in this tournament, and how wide open the games have been so far. Look at the Swedish D, against Canada they had a avg. height somewhere just below 6'0 or right at(depending how tall Kronwall is, IIHF has him at 6'2 other reports him at 5´11/6´0) and Canada have guys like Thornton, Heatly, Nash among sevaral others, who are a bit better around the net then Lundqvist is used to from the SEL. Of the goalies in the WCH only Mezin from Belarus IMO have been impressive so far. Its gooing to be extremly interesting to see what happends next in this tournament!

Old
05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
Levitate

this is also why it kind of annoyed me when everyone started hyping lundqvist like crazy before this tourney

for one, sweden seems to have a weak defensive team. doesn't matter how good your goalie is, you can't play crap defense the whole game against all-star teams like the ones at the world championships and expect that goalie to come out looking great.

and two, he's (in my mind) prime for a letdown in a tourney that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot...he had a monster year against great competition and he dominated, culminating in winning the SEL championship and receiving tons of accolades...that was kind of the high point and it's not unusual to have a letdown after that. his season has been over now and this is kind of extra...

and of course now that he isn't playing amazing, people are crapping all over him because of the other people who hyped him up beyond belief

that's HF for you i guess

Old
05-09-2005, 08:02 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
this is also why it kind of annoyed me when everyone started hyping lundqvist like crazy before this tourney

for one, sweden seems to have a weak defensive team. doesn't matter how good your goalie is, you can't play crap defense the whole game against all-star teams like the ones at the world championships and expect that goalie to come out looking great.

and two, he's (in my mind) prime for a letdown in a tourney that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot...he had a monster year against great competition and he dominated, culminating in winning the SEL championship and receiving tons of accolades...that was kind of the high point and it's not unusual to have a letdown after that. his season has been over now and this is kind of extra...

and of course now that he isn't playing amazing, people are crapping all over him because of the other people who hyped him up beyond belief

that's HF for you i guess
HF posters feel that tournaments mean EVERYTHING, just look at what 3 games did to Montoyas reputation on the boards, hes never going to get any respect now until he puts up good #'s in the NHL.

Old
05-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Levitate

well the thing is lundqvist had a great tourney last year too...so it's really NOT that he "can't handle international tourney's" or anything...

Old
05-09-2005, 08:16 AM
FLYLine24*

BTW, Jagr picked up 3 assists in the past 2 games. Guess his broken finger is effecting his shooting because he usually dominates in the goal department in these tournaments.

Old
05-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Of the goalies in the WCH only Mezin from Belarus IMO have been impressive so far. Its gooing to be extremly interesting to see what happends next in this tournament!
I think the Team Ukraina's goalie Simchuk has been impressive also. Quite good stats considering he has a horrible defence in front of him.

Jagr has been good despite the little injury and being MIA from the Czech teams meetings.

Old
05-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Taz

this annoys me people always cry about Jagr having no heart and he is playing with a broken finger and in the world cup didnt he have cracked ribs or a bad hip but kept playing...

Old
05-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
this annoys me people always cry about Jagr having no heart and he is playing with a broken finger and in the world cup didnt he have cracked ribs or a bad hip but kept playing...
Jagr is imho a typical Czech mood player. A general mood player: Normally he feels like playing and produce points and he does it well. Some days he just doesn't feel like playing and he shows it with surfing and basicly doing nothing useful. Usually, these "off days" occur in trainings when he doesn't want to train. That's what I think based on what I've read, seen interviews or heard from players.

Old
05-10-2005, 03:39 PM
FLYLine24*

Sweden won 9-1 today vs Latvia. Lundqvist stopped 19 of 20 shots, the one goal he gave up was impossible for him to save Latvia player went in on Lundqvist to his left and a guy when breaking to the net and the Latvia made a pass through 2 players right on his teamates stick who one timed it into the open net.

Old
05-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Levitate

did he have to make any tough stops?

Old
05-10-2005, 03:44 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
did he have to make any tough stops?

He had 2 make 2 pretty big saves...that was about it..pretty easy night for him.

Old
05-11-2005, 06:28 AM
Taz

Glad he rebounded well from the bad USA loss

Old
05-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Glad he rebounded well from the bad USA loss
Well, he didn't have to do much. The Latvians were dead tired and didn't pose any threat to swedish.

Old
05-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Levitate

yeah this must be a pain in the ass tourney for him...go from having nothing to do one game to being swamped by good scoring opportunities in the next, back and forth...

Old
05-12-2005, 05:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
yeah this must be a pain in the ass tourney for him...go from having nothing to do one game to being swamped by good scoring opportunities in the next, back and forth...
He also only had one week between winning the SEL and start preparing for the WCH and Tre Kronor have no goalie coach. It seems like he is loosing some of the basic beeing to aggresive at times letting in a goal, then trying not to be too aggresive and is to passive and lets in a goal. I think that all he needs though is one low scoring close game to get back on track.

BTW Padawan good luck against the Russians! I think you guys have a chance to suprise then.

Old
05-12-2005, 12:11 PM
FLYLine24*

USA was just eliminated from the tournament by the Czechs in a shootout, Ruchinsky score the loan shootout goal which was a extremely easy goal...i dont know what happened to DP in net on that.

Old
05-12-2005, 03:39 PM
FLYLine24*

Sweden and Lundqvist move onto the Semis to play the Czechs on Saturday. Sweden won 2-1 vs the Swiss and Lundqvist turned aside 19 of 20 shots. The one goal he gave up no goalie would have save, hard shot from outside the circle was defelected in front of Lundqvist then went off the crossbar and in. He pretty much had a fairly easy game again...had to make about 2-3 big saves all game.

Old
05-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Ola

Thought Lundqvist was really strong tonight. Not any spectacular saves but looked solid when the game was thight. Losing again in a quaterfinal would be a devestating blow for Swedish hockey, and Swiss did have a few chanses late in the game with Sweden only up with one goal...

Old
05-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Well, Lundqvist and Sweden fell in OT to The Czech Republic today. Sounded like a great game. Both goalies played well. But in the end, the Czechs came out on top. Dvorak tallied the winner .

So, it will be the Czechs vs Canada for gold tomorrow. In the other semi, Martin Brodeur saved his team's butts from ultimate humiliation. They nearly blew a 4-0 lead. If not for him stoning Kovalev on the doorstep with 5 seconds left, the Russians would have come back to tie and force sudden death.

Thornton tallied 3 assists. Nash had one. Jovanovski scored the winning goal. Heatley, Redden and Souray the others.

Ovechkin had Russia's third goal with Malkin assisting. Yashin had a good game with a goal and assist. Datsyuk, Kovalev and Kovalchuk did nothing.

Old
05-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Here was one comment from a fan in the game thread on Lundqvist. Nice praise .

martinkrantz

Posts: 107 On another note - I've been hesitant at times regarding Lundqvist. I love him as a goalie, but I was worrying that he might be overrated by swedish press, and that he might not be the real deal and a future superstar in the NHL someday.

I think this game shows what an amazing goaltender he really is. I don't doubt for a second that this kid will become a superstar in the NHL in the future. Some of his saves were just amazing.

Old
05-14-2005, 11:00 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
Here was one comment from a fan in the game thread on Lundqvist. Nice praise .

martinkrantz

Posts: 107 On another note - I've been hesitant at times regarding Lundqvist. I love him as a goalie, but I was worrying that he might be overrated by swedish press, and that he might not be the real deal and a future superstar in the NHL someday.

I think this game shows what an amazing goaltender he really is. I don't doubt for a second that this kid will become a superstar in the NHL in the future. Some of his saves were just amazing.

I dunno, I watched the game, and to me, this game really highlighted Lundqvist's weaknesses as opposed to his skills. He often went down to early and his glove hand needs some work. Had the czechs hit the net, this game could easily have been a blow out. Also near the end, whether due to fatigue, or mental breakdown, Lundqvist began guessing on plays that resulted in extremely good scoring chances, and had the Czechs been able to capitalize, the game wouldn't have gone into OT

Closed Thread