Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 08:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffles View Post
I don't get the PA hate. He's a great PBP guy and quite possibly the biggest Vikings homer in existence. I really like it.
He's probably easy to not enjoy if you're aren't a Vikings fan.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
05-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

I'll admit PA don't know diddly about hockey. He is a homer extreme. And I find him entertaining none the less. Just my 2 cents.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Jopsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Is this Brody from Chaska?
I do think Common is funny, but sometimes it would be nice to listen to some actual sports talk on a sports station, that's all i'm saying. I do give credit to PA today though.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Piffles

Every time I think of PA I always remember the 2003 season finale against the Cardinals.

"TOUCHDOWN!!!!!! NO! -pause- NOOOOOOO!"

Link for that call in case anyone enjoys remembering bad endings to football seasons.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Sportsfan1

What does it tell you about our goaltending situation going into next year when i'm not the least bit saddened by Backstrom not starting tomorrow.

And no that is hardly a ringing endorsement for Josh Harding either, but hopefully he can stay razor sharp especially early tomorrow because the Hawks are going to come out flying, and we have to hold them off early to stay in it.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Harding will steal Game 2.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:09 AM
CG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Jesus everyone gets pissed that nobody talks hockey in the State of Hockey and then a guy finally tries his absolute hardest (and it's genuine...he's really trying) to bring attention to the team and the game and people rip on him. Just can't make it up. Sure, he doesn't know nearly as much as Russo or Tenna but he's giving it his best shot and shows like today are extremely entertaining and a great inside look at the team.

Common is truly a love or hate type of guy but I gotta say that if you can't find humor in his show then you really do take sports too seriously. It's a necessary reminder that what we talk about every day is a child's game. My favorite show and it's not even close.

Barrerio is admittedly a football and basketball guy but he does his best when it comes to hockey (at least when the Wild are playing important games). Easily the smartest guy on the Fan with some pretty great guests.

I readily admit that PA is extremely rippable for his homerism and other things of that nature but it's so refreshing to finally see one of them put the focus on the Wild.
Agree with all of this, except I've never liked PA and probably never will. I do like that he's trying get hockey more into the regular rotation on his show and in fact, it's the only time I stop to listen to his show anymore.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:22 AM
rafterman

vCash: 50
If you've ever met/been around him, it doesn't take long to realize that Dampland's description is dead on. To put it nicely, Rickey Henderson and Chad Johnson have nothing on him in the lack of humility category...

Old
05-03-2013, 08:36 AM
CG5

Yeah, if I remember correctly, hockey talk used to be part of the regular rotation when Dubay was on the show with him, because about the time he was fired was when I stopped listening to PA. The only reason PA is even trying now is because he probably has to since KFan now covers the team/games.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:36 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Rupp on his broken skate fiasco
Quote:
“If it happened again, I now know what I’d do,” said Rupp, who was lucky the blade broke in the end of the ice closer to his bench. “I’d get on the knee that had no blade and use the other one as a sled. I think that’d be the best way. I could have just lay hurt, too, but I knew the ref saw the blade, so he knew I wasn’t hurt.”

After getting to the bench, Rupp ran into the Wild locker room and quickly put on an old right skate. That meant he was wearing a newer left skate and an older right skate.

Rupp’s next shift? Chicago’s overtime goal when Bryan Bickell lost Rupp on his backcheck and accepted Viktor Stalberg’s pass for the winner.
A semi-poorly written article about Parise needing to score points
Quote:
Twelve years remain on Zach Parise’s contract. Tuesday, he played the first of what could be a hundred playoff games for the Wild.

What we will begin discovering this month is whether Parise, already the best player in franchise history, will be transformative or complementary. Whether he will mimic Kirby Puckett or Joe Mauer.

Puckett and Mauer became immensely popular in Minnesota and signed record contracts. Puckett became known for leading his team to championships. Mauer became the quiet technician who excels at almost every area of the game other than that which is most pivotal: Hitting the long ball.

The rest of the Wild’s playoff series with the Blackhawks will hint at whether Parise will become known as one of those players who does all of the little things right, or one of those players who does not need anyone to defend him by saying he does all of the little things right.
Wasn't he right on par with his career averages? In a new system with new linemates and no time to build any chemistry before the season started? Ugh. Not a fan of that article at all.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think Common is caught up in his own mythology. Show is basically layer upon layer of his schtick. Meh.

I like PA when he's got a good hockey mind on like Russo or Walz. They play the straight guy, he's more the crazy one. But you need a pure homer in this town otherwise we'd all be going nuts.

Best show hands down though is Beyond the Pond. Mileski really knows his stuff.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It will be an interesting off-season.

All year long, we've been talking about Harding getting bought out and needing to re-sign Backstrom. Then Backs gets hurt and Harding plays great in game one.

If Hards is solid through the rest of the playoffs, do you re-sign Backs and for how much?

Sucks because we had a lot of questions that needed to be answered this year and we're not getting answers to a lot of them.

Can Granlund take over for Cullen at #2 center?
Can Scandella or Spurgeon be a 2nd pairing defenseman?
Is Harding able to take over as the starter?
Does Backstrom need to be re-signed?
Can Mikko carry this team offensively?
Is Yeo an NHL coach?

A lot of incompletes in there.

About the only question that got answered this year was the #1 defenseman.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:59 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

All year long, we've been talking about Harding getting bought out and needing to re-sign Backstrom. Then Backs gets hurt and Harding plays great in game one.

If Hards is solid through the rest of the playoffs, do you re-sign Backs and for how much?

Sucks because we had a lot of questions that needed to be answered this year and we're not getting answers to a lot of them.

Is Yeo an NHL coach?

Brodin or Suter? didn't know we came an answer there

But no I think if Brodin keeps developing like he has shown he is this will be a tough question in two years. There is no doubt Suter is the #1 because of his experience

Old
05-03-2013, 11:05 AM
BigT2002

Now if only we can fill that #3D....

Old
05-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
I doubt we can trust in Harding as anything more than a 1B goalie with his medical condition. It's really unfortunate for both him and the team, but it is what it is.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:45 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Backstrom is in Chicago with the team
Quote:
The Wild's "morning skate" begins at noon, but already a potential story developing.

Niklas Backstrom, who did not accompany the team to Chicago, was just outside the Wild visitor's room here at the United Center riding the bike.

That means he had to fly commercially to get here, and considering the Wild plays tonight and returns to Minnesota after Game 2 for Games 3 and 4, Backstrom must think he's good enough to at least get on the ice this morning and test his lower body injury.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN23 View Post
Can't beat the sports radio here. Its a step above anything else I heard elsewhere. I feel for you guys you deserve better.
Seattle sports radio is very good. They cover every team, every day. Have hosts in each time slot who are specific to one team as "experts" but still cover the others and have guests who cover the spectrum. Also the number of national insiders who are guests is large and frequent.

It gets awful with call in segments, I thought Minnesota sports fans were terrible whiners when it came to blaming the refs for everything under the sun but Seattle actually has Minnesota beat by a mile in that regard.

Old
05-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffles View Post
Every time I think of PA I always remember the 2003 season finale against the Cardinals.

"TOUCHDOWN!!!!!! NO! -pause- NOOOOOOO!"

Link for that call in case anyone enjoys remembering bad endings to football seasons.
Pa doing what PA does best, making himself the center of attention instead of what just happened on the field.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
A semi-poorly written article about Parise needing to score points

Wasn't he right on par with his career averages? In a new system with new linemates and no time to build any chemistry before the season started? Ugh. Not a fan of that article at all.
It's Jim Souhan. Dude doesn't know jack **** about hockey and only covers it when the team is losing or doing bad.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
rafterman

Quote:

Is Yeo an NHL coach?

All great questions.

Here's another - Will Heatley be cleared/healthy at the time necessary for a buyout to occur ? If they can't or don't buy him out they're limited in what they can do in respect to Cullen/Backstrom/any other improvements.

Also, is Coyle cemented on the top line ? If so, is Pominville the RW on the 2nd ? If that's the case, is Seto tradebait for upgrading the D ?

Old
05-03-2013, 01:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
Yeah, if I remember correctly, hockey talk used to be part of the regular rotation when Dubay was on the show with him, because about the time he was fired was when I stopped listening to PA. The only reason PA is even trying now is because he probably has to since KFan now covers the team/games.
Dubay getting fired set back hockey talk for a couple years. He was the big hockey guy on KFAN and without Wild rights or another station they just let it go. You had to go over to 1500 when Matt Thomas was on and then there was a period where he was gone when no one brought them up.

I'm glad Dubay is back on the air (not as much as I am to see him cleaning up his life after hitting rock bottom a few times, though).

Old
05-03-2013, 02:16 PM
CG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Dubay getting fired set back hockey talk for a couple years. He was the big hockey guy on KFAN and without Wild rights or another station they just let it go. You had to go over to 1500 when Matt Thomas was on and then there was a period where he was gone when no one brought them up.

I'm glad Dubay is back on the air (not as much as I am to see him cleaning up his life after hitting rock bottom a few times, though).
I had no idea that he'd cleaned himself up or that he's back on the air. Good for him! What station is he on?

Old
05-03-2013, 02:19 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG5 View Post
I had no idea that he'd cleaned himself up or that he's back on the air. Good for him! What station is he on?
1500 with Zulgad, the former Vikings, Trib beat guy.

Back in the hay-day of the PA and Dubay show, it was a great listen. They offset each other well and the local teams were, for the most part, winning. And there's nothing better than listening to PA when times are good. When they're bad, his homerism is hard to take.

But, Common is my absolute favorite radio guy in this town. Just brilliance.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
05-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Back in the hay-day of the PA and Dubay show, it was a great listen. They offset each other well and the local teams were, for the most part, winning. And there's nothing better than listening to PA when times are good. When they're bad, his homerism is hard to take.

You got that right, me boy!

Old
05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
CG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

I never listen to 1500, now I have a reason to check it out. I dig Common too, guy just makes me laugh.

Closed Thread