HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Training Camp

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2013, 03:52 PM
JEvans14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
His agent gives him advise.

His agent is also looking at him as a trend setter in terms of setting a pay standard for Safeties.

there is abig difference in starting CB salary and starting Safety salary.

I think under the new CBA you can only use the franchise tag on a player once (I could be wrong). Last year the Pats did that to welker then this year he left as a UFA.

Buffalo needs to give him a longer contract than just one year. Otherwise he is done.

The other problem....the coaching staff is all new...thus the DC may view his skill set as not ideal for a safety in his system. thus they plan on trading him for a 1st.
They were saying on WGR that he can get the franchise tag twice and then the third year they can't.

The new staff could definitely be a problem. Byrd would (in my opinion) be smart to wait it out and see how the year goes with the new coaches. He's in his prime.... why would he want to sign on for another 4 or 5 years when it could just be another sinking ship?

Old
07-12-2013, 08:48 PM
missingmika

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Yeah I really doubt his agent is "keeping him from signing". It's not part of an agent's job to keep his client from signing if he really wants to. On the other hand, taking flak for his client for PR purposes is part of the agent's job.
That is his agent's job actually. The agent isn't only there to negotiate the deal. The agent is there to make sure the player is getting his best interests taken care of. If a team offers a contract and the agent thinks it is not right, but the player thinks he should sign it, it is the agents job to sit the player down, tell him the pros and cons of signing and should the deal not be beneficial to the client, recommend that he does not sign the deal.

Old
07-12-2013, 09:09 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmika View Post
That is his agent's job actually. The agent isn't only there to negotiate the deal. The agent is there to make sure the player is getting his best interests taken care of. If a team offers a contract and the agent thinks it is not right, but the player thinks he should sign it, it is the agents job to sit the player down, tell him the pros and cons of signing and should the deal not be beneficial to the client, recommend that he does not sign the deal.
The agent recommending a player not sign a deal is not the same as the agent "keeping" the player from signing. If the player wants to sign a deal against his agent's advisement he will. But the agent doesn't act as some Svengali screwing with the player for his own nefarious agenda

Old
07-14-2013, 11:54 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/94...-monday-source

Sigh...same old Bills...

Old
07-15-2013, 12:06 AM
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~

vCash: 50
EugeneParker.avi

Old
07-15-2013, 01:59 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

If All-Pro Safeties aren't worth the money... and Pro Bowl Caliber Guards aren't worth the money... what, exactly, will you pay for to improve this team?

If the situation was different, and you could sign one of Stevie Johnson or Jairus Byrd to a long term contract deemed fair, which one would you keep?

Old
07-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
If All-Pro Safeties aren't worth the money... and Pro Bowl Caliber Guards aren't worth the money... what, exactly, will you pay for to improve this team?

If the situation was different, and you could sign one of Stevie Johnson or Jairus Byrd to a long term contract deemed fair, which one would you keep?
I wouldn't give Stevie 8.5 mil. I would pay Byrd 7.25. Also I think you answered your own question, WR's and pass rushers. If the Bills don't believe Byrd is worth being paid in the 9mil range then I'd think it would be because they are planning on winning of a shut down corner cutting the field in half and a lubed up offense. I think they're wrong but your scenario really doesn't address anything related to the situation. Would I sign Byrd for Stevie money? Yes. Would I sign Stevie for the speculated Byrd money? No. but Stevie signed for Stevie money and Byrd is holding out for Byrd money. The question would be in my mind is if Byrd is worth 7 mil to the Bills then what are they planning on doing with the other 2 mil and is that worth more than an all pro safety? Personally I'm just hopeful that the Bills aren't so concerned with Eric Wood that its gonna cost them Byrd.

Last edited by Push Dr Tracksuit: 07-15-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old
07-15-2013, 09:14 AM
whiplash

I want Byrd to make his nut, but I don't have a problem with the way the Bills are handling this right now. He will be on the team this year and he will play, whether he gets a long term contract can wait a year. If he feels "disrespected" by the team or whatever, well that's just business. If he has another monster year, the Bills will throw a ton of cash his way to keep him for another 4-5. If his role/effect is somehow diminished by the new scheme, maybe they don't resign after this year but he WILL make a ton somewhere else.

Lotta "ifs". I don't know why everyone is so worked up over this. I'll get worked up about it next offseason when it will matter more

Old
07-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Safties are overrated anyway. I like Byrd as a player, but his position isn't massively critical to the team's success. They should do what they can do get him signed long-term, but them not spending a whole bunch of effort on it right now isn't really that alarming.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:23 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Safties are overrated anyway. I like Byrd as a player, but his position isn't massively critical to the team's success. They should do what they can do get him signed long-term, but them not spending a whole bunch of effort on it right now isn't really that alarming.
This.

Safeties are paid to react to the play in front of them. While Byrd is very, very good (and I'm a big fan), you always pay the guy who dictates play (WRs, pass rushers, etc.). They're simply worth more.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:01 PM
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~

Neither of the parties are at fault here but it's sad because I really like Byrd as a player. So it goes in the business.

That said I wouldn't be surprised for him to show up and eventually get a contract agreement done in principle.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:56 PM
billsandsabres
hyperbole ainec

Quote:
good point. an article in buffalorumblings today made mention that the pettine defensive scheme appears to be an absolutely perfect environment in which byrd can thrive because it focuses on pressuring to the qb into difficult/rushed/poor throws.

it's really disappointing to see the byrd contract situation go down this road because he seems like such a well mannered respectful guy and everything i've read says the organization thinks very highly of him and his character. i'd really like to hear more about what is causing the impasse. is parker just not returning whaley's calls? does byrd secretly want out of buffalo? are the bills digging in? is byrd asking for silly money? is this really just the eugene parker milk them for everything show again? aside from speculation, i haven't read any concrete news about what is causing the delay in contract negotiations, and i'm really curious.

Old
07-16-2013, 01:48 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

From reports, Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. Bills were willing to go high, just not that high.

But to me, it's really him forcing his way out. He knows we won't pay him that, and he wants to go somewhere where he has a realistic chance to win.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:21 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
From reports, Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. Bills were willing to go high, just not that high.

But to me, it's really him forcing his way out. He knows we won't pay him that, and he wants to go somewhere where he has a realistic chance to win.
Would you blame him?

Last Marrone spoke on the subject, he said he hadn't contacted Byrd. Our best hope would be that once he settles in with the new staff, maybe he likes Pettine or things go better than expected this year and he decides he wants to be here. He doesn't come across as the type of guy who's only in it for the money.

If not, oh well. If he doesn't want to be here, so be it.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:05 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Let's not forget the two sides can do this all over again next offseason if the Bills choose to franchise tag him again. Then they'd have the following offseason to make a last-ditch effort to re-sign him up until the start of free agency.

I'm not happy about how this has turned out so far, but it's hardly the end for Byrd in Buffalo just yet.

Old
07-16-2013, 09:45 AM
JEvans14

ProfootballCentral:

"Spoke to 5 agents today who believe that they could get the Byrd deal done in 24 hours or less. Some believe Parker is playing poker 2 much."

Old
07-16-2013, 10:50 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Not really too worried about this for some reason.

Old
07-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEvans14 View Post
ProfootballCentral:

"Spoke to 5 agents today who believe that they could get the Byrd deal done in 24 hours or less. Some believe Parker is playing poker 2 much."

I agree Parker has issues...in this situation the biggest problem.

Old
07-16-2013, 12:17 PM
JEvans14

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rk-and-earn-it

Warren Sapp has spoken!

Quote:
"It's about what the team deems you worthy of being paid," Sapp said. "Sign your tender, go back to work and earn it like your rookie year when you came into the league and you went to the Pro Bowl. That's what you do. Whenever somebody questions your play on the football field, you go out on the football field and you show it."

Old
07-16-2013, 06:31 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEvans14 View Post
He is right. Byrd has certainly earned the right to be paid LIKE a top safety, but there is no way im giving him over 9 million a year (Polamalu) without seeing him in this new Defensive scheme he has never played a down in. If he was willing to settle for 5-6 million I would have locked him up instantly, but the over 9 prob 10 mil range ill wait till next offseason when I see what he has down. Sapp is right though, get into camp learn the defense and make the probowl, that's how you will see 9-10 per.

Old
07-16-2013, 07:31 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Old
07-21-2013, 04:45 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Pats cut Donald Jones.

Anyone think he's worth a look?

Old
07-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Buffalo Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Pats cut Donald Jones.

Anyone think he's worth a look?
No, not sure there is a spot.. I expect SJ , Woods, Graham, Rogers and Goodwin to get spots and Kaufman could be another David Nelson.

Bills got to settle this contract with Byrd as well

Old
07-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Warlord View Post
No, not sure there is a spot.. I expect SJ , Woods, Graham, Rogers and Goodwin to get spots and Kaufman could be another David Nelson.

Bills got to settle this contract with Byrd as well
Jones is a slot receiver....

My forcast of WRS on the final 53:

Locks: stevie Johnson, robert Woods, Marquise Goodwin
near Lock: Da'rick Rodgers
should: TJ Graham (I wouldnt be surprised if he possibly gets traded)
bubble: Brandon Kaufman (could be a PS)

the rest are battling for the final 1-2 roster spots.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:16 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
When does training camp start?

Closed Thread