HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should ROW Matter More?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 11:24 PM
  #1
BigZ65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,806
vCash: 350
Should ROW Matter More?

I guess I might feel differently if we'd won 10 games in a shootout, but based on this season's standings, it is quite likely that teams that have won more games in regulation and OT will miss the playoffs in both conferences while teams with 2-3-4 fewer wins will be above the line (not to mention the point for losing). Everyone has agreed to the current system, but is it time for all games to be 3 point games to make ROW actually matter?

BigZ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:29 PM
  #2
Savagestevo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
ROW seems to matter quite a bit to me, since they are the first form of tiebreaker ahead of the head to head matchups between the teams and everything else.

Savagestevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:35 PM
  #3
seasontixholder
Registered User
 
seasontixholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 662
vCash: 576
I like your thinking but right now the Jets are tied with Washington at 22 but have leads over NYR, NYI, and Ottawa. If the Jets can even get one win and one ot loss, they might still have a chance to get in. The way Ottawa is playing they might not make it.

seasontixholder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:46 PM
  #4
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,166
vCash: 500
How can you make it more valuable than the first tie-breaker??

You can't be proposing a team with less points would get in based on ROW.
The only way it could be more important would lead to a case like this:
Quote:
8)Winnipeg 55 Points ROW:22
9)Washington 57 Points ROW:21

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:55 PM
  #5
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasontixholder View Post
I like your thinking but right now the Jets are tied with Washington at 22 but have leads over NYR, NYI, and Ottawa. If the Jets can even get one win and one ot loss, they might still have a chance to get in. The way Ottawa is playing they might not make it.
If the Jets lose a game, one of these teams has to lose out. Pretty much gotta win all 3.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:55 PM
  #6
BigZ65
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,806
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
How can you make it more valuable than the first tie-breaker??

You can't be proposing a team with less points would get in based on ROW.
The only way it could be more important would lead to a case like this:
If a ROW was worth 3 points, SO win worth 2 points, SO loss worth 1 point.

BigZ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:15 AM
  #7
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
If a ROW was worth 3 points, SO win worth 2 points, SO loss worth 1 point.
It's fine the way it is, points wise.

I just wish they would extend OT by another five minutes and switch ends for the long change.

If they made OT "all or nothing" and didn't give out a point at the end of regulation then overtime wouldn't be nearly as good since teams would play conservative.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:18 AM
  #8
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn
 
maximus tacitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Clutchinsonville
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,830
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
It's fine the way it is, points wise.

I just wish they would extend OT by another five minutes and switch ends for the long change.

maximus tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
  #9
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 574
I can't stand the shootout. So I'd absolutely be on board for having shoot out points become meaningless.

Shoot out was designed to get casual non-hockey fans to get excited about games. ITs certainly not for me. I'd venture to guess the majority of players don't like it either judging by the number that refer to it as a flip of the coin, or pure luck, etc etc.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:55 AM
  #10
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
If a ROW was worth 3 points, SO win worth 2 points, SO loss worth 1 point.
The weird 3 point game system that we have now is the reason these playoff races are so tight. I do agree that what you've listed is the most logical, but this is a lot of fun.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM
  #11
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Every game should be worth just two points
Win 2 points
any loss 0 points

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 09:50 AM
  #12
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
The weird 3 point game system that we have now is the reason these playoff races are so tight. I do agree that what you've listed is the most logical, but this is a lot of fun.
Yep.

This is unfortunately Entertainment first, sport second (as all pro sports are), and the current system, though obviously not the most "fair" as far as sportsmanship/nature of competition go, has created more parity with the loser point (tighter races, more exciting) as well as more spectacle (the shootout).

IMO it's not horrible but definitely less then ideal. I sort of accept it as a necessary evil at this point.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:03 AM
  #13
hockeyarena
Registered User
 
hockeyarena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 513
vCash: 1503
Reg win 3 points
OT win 2 points
OT loss 1 point
Loss 0 points.

I love that system but NHL will never do it because ratings increase when more teams have a chance at the end of the season.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
  #14
WaveRaven
Registered User
 
WaveRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 476
vCash: 50
I can't believe anyone would be in favour of battling out a hard fought tie after 60 minutes to have no points to show for it.

The problem is not the tie point it is the gimmick point that is awarded for a childish skills competition.

Remove the gimmick, I'd gladly go back to having ties.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:15 AM
  #15
Scheifele
Rookie User
 
Scheifele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dartmouth
Country: Canada
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Not trying to be hostile, just feelin' like a rant haha.

Okay...I get that people don't like the shootout, especially when it comes down to trying to make the playoffs, but common guys....It's been like 8 years, I really just wish people would get over it, the shootout isn't going away and either are the points allocated around it.

Sucks if we don't get in and a team does that doesn't have as many ROW, but whatever, we have a team full of nhlers, all just as capable as the other teams to win in OT or regulation...its more our fault for not finishing the game sooner.



EDIT: I would rather there be no shootout.

Scheifele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:16 AM
  #16
videofarmer
thirsty
 
videofarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,054
vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
I can't believe anyone would be in favour of battling out a hard fought tie after 60 minutes to have no points to show for it.

The problem is not the tie point it is the gimmick point that is awarded for a childish skills competition.

Remove the gimmick, I'd gladly go back to having ties.
Me too. I'd say if the teams are tied after a 10 minute OT, the game was a tie and the points get split. If one team prevails, be it in regulation or OT, they get the all the points.

videofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
  #17
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes
 
Turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 50
Shootout is entertaining. Fine for regular season. Most memorable game this year IMHO was the shootout win vs. the Leafs. It's no more 'childish' than using penalties for soccer, the most popular pro-sport in the world. Is it a game, after all...so just take it as part of the game.

That being said, regulation win should be worth 3 points. OT win should be 2 points, OT loss 1 point. Regulation loss 0 points.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:32 AM
  #18
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Every game should be worth just two points
Win 2 points
any loss 0 points
If there are no single points given out, what would be the point of giving two points for a win? You could simply count wins like in Basketball and Baseball.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:33 AM
  #19
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
I can't believe anyone would be in favour of battling out a hard fought tie after 60 minutes to have no points to show for it.

The problem is not the tie point it is the gimmick point that is awarded for a childish skills competition.

Remove the gimmick, I'd gladly go back to having ties.
Problem is the NHL won't get rid of this brutal gimmick.
I would rather take a tie

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:34 AM
  #20
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
If there are no single points given out, what would be the point of giving two points for a win? You could simply count wins like in Basketball and Baseball.
As long as the shootout is in play, this is fine with me.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
  #21
WaveRaven
Registered User
 
WaveRaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnerpeg
Posts: 476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Shootout is entertaining. Fine for regular season. Most memorable game this year IMHO was the shootout win vs. the Leafs. It's no more 'childish' than using penalties for soccer, the most popular pro-sport in the world. Is it a game, after all...so just take it as part of the game.

That being said, regulation win should be worth 3 points. OT win should be 2 points, OT loss 1 point. Regulation loss 0 points.
Soccer can not be compared you could play for a month and only have 1 goal scored. Not to mention all the players have been on the field the entire time with limited subtitutions. You can't keep going and going like hockey.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:03 PM
  #22
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 574
The get rid of shoot outs petition:
http://************************/shootout/petition.html

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:20 PM
  #23
sting13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
Me too. I'd say if the teams are tied after a 10 minute OT, the game was a tie and the points get split. If one team prevails, be it in regulation or OT, they get the all the points.
NHL would never go for it. Teams would play defensive in OT, especially weaker
teams. Back to trapping etc. just to get the 1 point.

I'm sure the NHL wants to keep the shootout. The Winnipeg\Toronto game on HNIC
was talked about over and over again because of the long shoot out.
It may not be what the regular fan likes but they know the casual fan likes it.

The one argument I hate is people say it's not the way to settle a game because
that's not how it's played. Neither is 5 on 5 in OT the regular way.
They don't use 5 on 5 for the playoffs. it's a gimmick as well to encourage more
action.

Seems to me when I'm at the MTS Centre for a game, people actually put their
phones done for a second and watch the shoot out.

I'm not a huge fan of it but I can live with it, just not in the playoffs.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
  #24
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
NHL would never go for it. Teams would play defensive in OT, especially weaker
teams. Back to trapping etc. just to get the 1 point.
Oh the Bettman argument that teams play defensively to keep the point rather than risk it

Conversely I can say games that are tied in the third teams don't try to win cause they'll get the guaranteed point and just play the extra time for another point. Not sure how that's any different.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 12:41 PM
  #25
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Oh the Bettman argument that teams play defensively to keep the point rather than risk it

Conversely I can say games that are tied in the third teams don't try to win cause they'll get the guaranteed point and just play the extra time for another point. Not sure how that's any different.
well its different in the sense that there is "something" to encourage winning at the end of the season especially against div rivals.

also its' what the "true" 3 point system often bandied about would accomplish, where a win owuld be 3 points, an ot/shootout win 2 points, and ot/shootout loss 1 point.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.