HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Not finishing strong

Old
04-26-2013, 11:05 AM
lorwood

vCash: 500
IMHO they need to go old school for a wake up call.

Right off the bat somebody needs to get hit tonight (not necessarily drop the gloves but if Mr. Martin wants to that's OK also)

This teams success is in the forecheck and in the corners when they will not be denied opening up their speed game.

BTW I do like the way Cappy does not hang his players out in public. I get the feeling that while publicly he "wants to look at the positives only" once the locker room door is closed its a different story.

Mutual respect between the players and the coaches.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:21 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If it helps Nabby by resting him before a grueling playoff series and helps Poulin by getting him in game shape should Nabby get run......come again? You wanna risk both scenarios not going well to get Boston or Montreal or Washington {and a red hot Ovy/Green} with a weakness over going in strong with Pitt or Boston or Montreal?
If, chance, risk, etc. isn't a reality.

Nabby has played all season with the same risks he has now, and we're still fighting for positioning. I would want a better seed no matter what, unless it's between the 4th and 5th. You can't coach or played scared or afraid of players getting hurt.

And the chance to rest Nabby should've come tonight, not last night. Now the team has given up the chance to control their own seed.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:33 AM
82isles

Montreal and Boston are tied right now. Montreal could very well end up the 2nd seed and we can end up 7th. This would be the ideal match-up for us IMO. So it's not the end of the world. I don't want 8th either, but I think we can be difficult for Pittsburgh and put a scare into them at the least.

I also would like to see Martinek back in the lineup if we face anyone but Boston. I thought he played very well for us down the stretch, plus he has playoff experience. However, Strait did play for Pittsburgh last playoffs.

82isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Jester9881

Ottawa has to win one of their two remaining in regulation. One of those games is against the Bruins, with the Bruins in a dog fight for the 2 seed. I'm fairly confident they will be losing that one. The other is against the Flyers, which is a good possibility they will get those two points, but nothing is written in stone.

The Rangers have one game left, and it's against the Devils who just beat Pittsburgh.... and will also have Kovalchuk back. I put this one at 50-50.... but more importantly, is the Devils penchant for playing tight D and taking games to the shootout. If the Rangers don't win that one in reg/OT, we get the tie breaker.

Besides all that, I personally would rather face Pittsburgh over Boston.... and you could even make a case for Washington by the way Ovy has turned it on. Washington is the hottest team of the top 4 right now.

Have faith

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
If, chance, risk, etc. isn't a reality.

Nabby has played all season with the same risks he has now, and we're still fighting for positioning. I would want a better seed no matter what, unless it's between the 4th and 5th. You can't coach or played scared or afraid of players getting hurt.

And the chance to rest Nabby should've come tonight, not last night. Now the team has given up the chance to control their own seed.
Some generals fight to survive, some fight to win. We rested Nabby and played Poulin to win. Philly was a winnable game and what went wrong was not that Poulin didn't only give up two goals like a hack but because Poulin played well enough to only give up two goals.

As in

Our offense

wasn't there

to score

more than

two goals

or at least

tie the game

and get

a point

to support

Poulin

Nabby

Tretiak

Soderstrom

or

whoever

you threw

out there

to backstop

our anemic

offense.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
OlTimeHockey

Did I mention we only let up two goals in the 2-1 loss and not five or six?

Old
04-26-2013, 11:56 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Everyone seems to think mont. is the beat matchup for us...they give up very little in the way of shots on defense. We have played them well but that would be an extremely tough series for us also. Bottom line is i think everyone in the top 4 do certain things very well but also have a flaw. IMO pitt has excellent talent up front, defense is solid and goaltending can be a question mark. Boston has the best defense and possibly best goalie in the playoffs, plays a playoff physical style but is missing there key guy up front. Montreal plays a great defensive system and has some punch up front and has a goalie thats every solid and underrated on these boards...washington is hot, best forward in the game right now defense is average and goaltending im not sold on.

Just line one of them up and lets roll....LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!!

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:10 PM
82isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
Everyone seems to think mont. is the beat matchup for us...they give up very little in the way of shots on defense. We have played them well but that would be an extremely tough series for us also. Bottom line is i think everyone in the top 4 do certain things very well but also have a flaw. IMO pitt has excellent talent up front, defense is solid and goaltending can be a question mark. Boston has the best defense and possibly best goalie in the playoffs, plays a playoff physical style but is missing there key guy up front. Montreal plays a great defensive system and has some punch up front and has a goalie thats every solid and underrated on these boards...washington is hot, best forward in the game right now defense is average and goaltending im not sold on.

Just line one of them up and lets roll....LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!!
Montreal will not be easy. I agree. But they are the least physical of the top teams. We struggle against bigger, stronger teams.

82isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Islanderfan17

Am I the only one that doesn't care who we play?

To be the best, you gotta beat the best

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:39 PM
whendogsdream

Congrats on the 1st Sky Is Falling thread in a while.

whendogsdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:40 PM
19NYSports91

No matter who the Islanders play it will be tough guys, it's the playoffs every series is going to be a battle. Just win tonight and see where it goes from there.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:46 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82isles View Post
Montreal will not be easy. I agree. But they are the least physical of the top teams. We struggle against bigger, stronger teams.
Maybe our little guys have to play like meany weenies and hit back? The Dynasty teams needed a five year education to win the Cup. We're gonna have to go to summer school every year and then some.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Some generals fight to survive, some fight to win. We rested Nabby and played Poulin to win. Philly was a winnable game and what went wrong was not that Poulin didn't only give up two goals like a hack but because Poulin played well enough to only give up two goals.

As in

Our offense

wasn't there

to score

more than

two goals

or at least

tie the game

and get

a point

to support

Poulin

Nabby

Tretiak

Soderstrom

or

whoever

you threw

out there

to backstop

our anemic

offense.
I didn't say Poulin was to blame for the loss or that he played poorly, but it's still a mistake to play him there.

Regardless

of

whether

or

not

you

type

this

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 12:57 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I didn't say Poulin was to blame for the loss or that he played poorly, but it's still a mistake to play him there.

Regardless

of

whether

or

not

you

type

this

What does resting Nabby last night have to do with us now no longer being able to control our own destiny?

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
What does resting Nabby last night have to do with us now no longer being able to control our own destiny?
I'm trying to figure that one out as well.

Nabby gives up two goals and it's on the offense. Poulin gives up two goals and we played the wrong goalie and lose out on being able to control our destiny.

We're resting Viz now. I guess we're doomed. We won't make the playoffs 'as good' as if we played the best guys each night and didn't rest them for the games that matter.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Chardo

Just last year, #8 went on to win the Cup. They had lost their last 2 (and 3 of their last 4) regular season games.

Anything is possible.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:36 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post

Ric Flair concurs.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

I think i'm going to watch the draft lottery next week strictly out of tradition It wouldn't feel right without it

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
I think i'm going to watch the draft lottery next week strictly out of tradition It wouldn't feel right without it
Nice!
I hope we win the lifetime achievement award.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post

I been saying this the entire team. We will play whoever we have too.
There is a Reason games are played. Anyone can win at any time

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:50 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgoisles89 View Post
This was incredibly frustrating. I can't believe the roster changes made by the coaching staff for tonight's game. They set the tone at the top and sitting nabby combined with putting carkner and boulton in tonight's lineup showed the team how complacent they were with just making it to the playoffs this season. They just wanted to make it out of Philly alive and it showed.
The only issue that I have in the Isles approach was that it was wishy-washy.

Management should have made a decision and went at it full bore.

Instead, tonight's approach showed me leadership hadn't thought far enough along.

Either:
1. you mail it in and give rest to those who need it over the final week

2. you go for it and try and move up to 5th

Biggest problem is that we may just get Pittsburgh in the first round as a result of leadership being indecisive.

I'd have sat our guys who are tired (JT) and just plain banged up a bit (Casey, Bailey, Hamonic, etc.). In fact, I'd have phased these guys out over the final 2 games. In other words, called up 1/2 a team that would play vs. Philly (sitting out 1/2 our regulars) and then vs. Buffalo (sitting the other half of the regulars).

Instead, Streit, JT, etc all played their regular minutes. Not good, not smart.

We played Poulin to sit Nabby which absolutely contributed to the let down factor and those who showed up went through the motions and simply tried not to get hurt.

If you want to step back and compare some recent games versus our better games, it's all about the hitting. In the WPG game, I noticed all of our guys -- namely Matt Martin -- not throwing the body.

It carried forward into Carolina and into tonight.

Tells me some of these guys are tired.

Rest them stupid Garth and Capuano.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Just last year, #8 went on to win the Cup. They had lost their last 2 (and 3 of their last 4) regular season games.

Anything is possible.
While this is a Very true and Valid point. Lat years 8th seed team was not a True 8th Seed IMO.
They were a better club than your average 8 Seed.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:52 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I been saying this the entire team. We will play whoever we have too.
There is a Reason games are played. Anyone can win at any time
I'm sorry, but that's just plain not smart. That's as nice as I can be.

You really mean to tell me you don't think there's a difference playing Pitt as opposed to MTL or Washington?

Color me stupid, but the last team I want to play is a Pittsburgh team with Sidney Crosby on the cusp of returning.

I take my chances with Washington who doesn't scare me one bit or MTL who we've P0wned.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:53 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
While this is a Very true and Valid point. Lat years 8th seed team was not a True 8th Seed IMO.
They were a better club than your average 8 Seed.
'sactly.

LA was far from an 8th seed by definition.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:56 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
IMHO they need to go old school for a wake up call.

Right off the bat somebody needs to get hit tonight (not necessarily drop the gloves but if Mr. Martin wants to that's OK also)

This teams success is in the forecheck and in the corners when they will not be denied opening up their speed game.

BTW I do like the way Cappy does not hang his players out in public. I get the feeling that while publicly he "wants to look at the positives only" once the locker room door is closed its a different story.

Mutual respect between the players and the coaches.

Not gonna happen. Team will go on cruise control tonight. We likely lose, but if we win, it won't be pretty or because we were that good.

The last 3-4 games have been zero contact and we've lacked the intensity that was the staple of the last month.

Hitting and intense forecheck were the reasons for success.

Just like last night, they'll be missing tonight.

Praying that come Game 1 vs. whoever (likely Pitt at this rate) we will be back to our old selves and not too fatigued. (See my other post as to why not **** ting or getting off the pot could hurt this team in the first round).