HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wojtek Wolski remembers on his career in Denver

Old
10-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
Wojtek Wolski remembers on his career in Denver

Wojtek Wolski was the 21st overall pick of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. After being drafted by the Colorado Avalanche, Wolski went on to play another season in the OHL, before getting the call up to the NHL, where he remained with the Avalanche until being traded to the Phoenix Coyotes in on March 3, 2010. After stints with the Coyotes, the New York Rangers, the Florida Panthers and the Washington Capitals, Wolski decided to sign for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod of the KHL. Wolski has already played 12 games in the KHL, scoring 3 goals and getting 5 assists.

You left the NHL after 8 seasons. Whatís the most difficult thing for you in Russia?

Itís a new country, a new culture, a totally different way of life. Iím just getting used to that. The practices, coaches. Everythingís different from the NHL, itís just a whole new experience. I think itís just another phase in my life. Might be the best thing that ever happened to me. You never know. Some people are just too worried about what can happen, but at this point in my life, I think Iíve just moved on and Iím excited about a new opportunity.

What made you move over to Russia?

The last couple of years IĎve had injuries, I havenít had great seasons. As I get older, I just want to play and enjoy hockey. Obviously, I want to build a financial foundation for myself and my family. I think the KHL allows you to do just that. I have a great opportunity here and itís been fun so far.

Isnít it hard for you to speak and understand Russian?

It is. I speak Polish, so there are similarities. Iíve been trying to learn Russian, Iíve been taking lessons. Itís going to take some time, but I think Iím going to be here for a couple years so might as well learn the language. A lot of the guys from our team speak English, the coaches speak some, too. Theyíve been helping us a lot.

Have you already adjusted yourself to the different style of hockey here?

Yeah, itís different. Training camps are way longer, you play so many games before you even start the season, so thereís definitely an adjustment period. I think itís finished and Iím just trying to get ready for every game.

FULL INTERVIEW: http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=3617

Eurolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:10 PM
agentblack

vCash: 50
Good luck to him.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

Nice interview. Thanks for posting it!

Did he mention any names of the players he meant who would like to play for Poland?

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:08 PM
jaems

Huh. Didn't realize him and Stewie are best buds.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 06:16 AM
InjuredChoker

Szymon Szemberg ‏@Sz1909_Szemberg 4 min
Russian media writes Canadians Tim Brent, Wojtek Wolski will be traded to newcomer Admiral Vladivostok by Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod #KHL

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurolanche View Post
Yeah, itís different. Training camps are way longer, you play so many games before you even start the season, so thereís definitely an adjustment period.
Vintage Wolski right there.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:08 AM
henchman24
If and if...

The whole interview screamed to me... "I don't like hockey, but I am good at it and it makes me a ton of money so I will keep playing."

Which that outlook is probably Wolski's biggest problem. If he cared just a little bit, he would have been a superstar.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:49 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I will always like Wolski and he seems like a good guy too, but there will always be a side of me that will think, "what if the guy showed some passion?" If he did, he would have easily been a PPG player and still on our club.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

He was allergic to the front of the net.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I will always like Wolski and he seems like a good guy too, but there will always be a side of me that will think, "what if the guy showed some passion?" If he did, he would have easily been a PPG player and still on our club.
What if ? ....Well he had all the Tools to be a top player in the NHL ,but he didnt have the will to make his place and be able to play on almost every top lines in the NHL . Someone may have all the talent in the world, if he doesnt make the effort, that needs to be done to succeed , he's gonna waste that talent , no matter how great it is .

Frenchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:15 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I felt the same way about Pavel Brendl for many years. Watched him junior the guy was a monster

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:23 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
I'm not sure I've ever seen an Avalanche player who frustrated me more. There have been plenty I really didn't like because they were overplayed or misused...but Wolski would absolutely show up in a shootout every single night...and everytime he gave us that "extra" point I couldn't help but think if he'd shown up a few minutes earlier we could've kept the opposing team from getting a point as well. Can't believe I'm talking Sacco language here but seriously...Wolski never understood at what time the game began. It was the first whistle...not the last one that signified when he could commence with a shootout attempt.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote