HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2013, 01:05 PM
hockeyfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
I'm sure the NFL is happy about that. Now we can question the validity of every clean test.

Old
09-22-2013, 01:08 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
I still condend whatever it was Von was trying to cover up is the REAL story. It ain't pot.

Old
09-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
the NFL is going to have an incredibly difficult time keeping this league together over the next 10 years.

1) Concussions - they bought themselves some time, but I am sure more lawsuits will follow

2) NCAA - The players are already starting to revolt, and with more money coming in for the tournaments next year, I'm sure at some point it will become a pay league. It has to - it's already happening all over the place anyways. Once it becomes a pay league, the competition is on between the NCAA and the NFL. If the NCAA tears away from the NFL as its farm league, lookout.

3) Drugs - the legitimacy of testing is so far behind. Testing players in the offseason at publicized times is really a sad excuse. And I am sure steroids and HGH are rampant but we don't see it. If the NFL gets hit like MLB did I wonder what the ramifications will be. Could be none, could be huge - especially if the union shuts down the league in refusal to drug test in a more proficient manner.

4) Ed O'Bannon Case - Pretty much self explanatory. The NFL is going to try and pay this suit away as well, but what happens in the future?

I see more and more attacks to the league coming from everyone trying to get a piece of the pie in general.

Old
09-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

I think its fair to say that win over NY looks less impressive after this week.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:08 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
the NFL is going to have an incredibly difficult time keeping this league together over the next 10 years.

1) Concussions - they bought themselves some time, but I am sure more lawsuits will follow

2) NCAA - The players are already starting to revolt, and with more money coming in for the tournaments next year, I'm sure at some point it will become a pay league. It has to - it's already happening all over the place anyways. Once it becomes a pay league, the competition is on between the NCAA and the NFL. If the NCAA tears away from the NFL as its farm league, lookout.

3) Drugs - the legitimacy of testing is so far behind. Testing players in the offseason at publicized times is really a sad excuse. And I am sure steroids and HGH are rampant but we don't see it. If the NFL gets hit like MLB did I wonder what the ramifications will be. Could be none, could be huge - especially if the union shuts down the league in refusal to drug test in a more proficient manner.

4) Ed O'Bannon Case - Pretty much self explanatory. The NFL is going to try and pay this suit away as well, but what happens in the future?

I see more and more attacks to the league coming from everyone trying to get a piece of the pie in general.
For the time being, I disagree that league is in any trouble. There is way way too much money flowing in.
Concussions are what they are. The NFL will do more to help former players, but concussions make ESPN happy, so everyone is happy.
The NCAA might start to pay a stipend to players for food and housing, but it won't even sniff draft bonuses, let alone an NFL salary.
The drugs will probably become an issue, but it's not like MLB is in any real trouble, and they were hit much harder.

The NHL on the other hand, is in deep trouble, and will probably have troubles surviving the next 10 years in it's current format.

Old
09-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

OT here, but it's hard to believe the situation with the Rockies feels even more hopeless than the situation with the Bickerstaff-led Nuggets back in the day. The team won't ever make the necessary steps toward being better until the Brothers Monfort GTFO.

That is all. Go Broncos.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:05 PM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
OT here, but it's hard to believe the situation with the Rockies feels even more hopeless than the situation with the Bickerstaff-led Nuggets back in the day. The team won't ever make the necessary steps toward being better until the Brothers Monfort GTFO.

That is all. Go Broncos.
Agree 100%. It's the Good Ol' Boys club, not a competitive baseball team. They're still trying to play up the '07 Rocktober cinderella story.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:11 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post

That is all. Go Broncos.
It's certainly time for O'Dowd to go. I don't put all the blame on him, and think he has done a reasonable job with what he has. But at the same time, you can't keep rewarding failure. Just move on.

I also hope, but know it's unlikely, that they will bring in a better manager than Weiss. Sure, it is his first year, but he is one of the worst managers I have ever seen. Just awful.

Old
09-23-2013, 04:01 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Supposedly Weiss getting another year is just a formality at this point. He's been ok, not a long term solution. I wish he'd get over his obsession with bunting. That's what got CarGo hurt. Plus it doesn't make sense to do every single game in a multitude of situations.

The ownership and management are a lot to blame for the hopeless situation but it's also the structure f baseball. The perennial money teams and everyone else. Plus how difficult is it for a cheap franchise Cinderella story to win a championship? They don't have the depth on their roster to win a series. As nice of a story as Pittsburgh, Tampa and Oakland are they are still not going to win a championship. And neither are the Rockies even if they ever got a roster together to get in the playoffs. Plus the entire ridiculous stigma of pitching at Coors Field. That will never go away. The Rockies will never get a decent free agent pitcher. So their only hope is to develop or trade for one and those options are dubious at best. I would like to see management and scouting cleared out, maybe if they could draft better it would help in the long run but baseball is such a crapshoot. I really don't know what the solution is. I guess keep the star batters and hope they can try to put together some semblance of a decent bullpen and hope Chacin and De La Rosa continue to pitch decent.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Bonzai12

Hey at least we're not this bad.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/09/23/houston...2_a6&eref=sihp

Old
09-23-2013, 06:30 PM
hockeyfish

This Tampa Bay-Baltimore game is turning out to be one hell of a game.

Old
09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Go Tampa! They are by far my secnod favorite team.

On my way to see the Broncos. Hoping this game goes like the last two.

Old
09-23-2013, 10:42 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Go Tampa! They are by far my secnod favorite team.

On my way to see the Broncos. Hoping this game goes like the last two.
So far so good

Score is 30-7 Broncos with 5:30 left in the 3rd.

Old
09-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Butch 19
King me

Have the Broncos changed their jersey color to orange?

I thought the orange was just for a few games a year...?

Old
09-24-2013, 12:04 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Yes they changed their primary color to orange last year. Blue is the alternate. I like it, orange is a big part of their identity. So many other teams are blue.

Good game. Hate garbage time quarters but can't complain much. Glad they took the Raiders seriously. Division games can always get a bit weird.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:18 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

I'm still coming to grips with the idea of cheering for a team that's going to be the favorite nearly every time they play

Old
09-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Bonzai12

Really liked the use of Ball tonight. Grab the lead early and then get the rook some time doing what he does best - grinding the football.

Wish they would have gotten CJ Anderson in there though for at least a few plays.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

They treated the second half of that game like a glorified practice. Three TE sets, grinding it out on the ground and milking the play clock. I think they have too much respect for Dennis Allen than to embarrass him.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:52 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
I'm still coming to grips with the idea of cheering for a team that's going to be the favorite nearly every time they play
Maybe the regular season but until they can actually win in the playoffs they are still the underdogs to win a championship.

Quote:
Really liked the use of Ball tonight.
Ball? Wasn't it Hillman who got the bulk of the second half work? But I agree, showing they can control the game on the ground keeps them from being one dimensional.

ETA: My mistake, Ball did have more rushes than Hillman, wow it really didn't seem like it.

Quote:
I think they have too much respect for Dennis Allen than to embarrass him
I never felt like it was guaranteed in the bag until under 3 minutes. They wanted to kill the clock. If they were really calling off the dogs they would have put in Brock.

Old
09-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
I never felt like it was guaranteed in the bag until under 3 minutes. They wanted to kill the clock. If they were really calling off the dogs they would have put in Brock.
The competitive phase of the game was over at halftime. Oakland didn't have a chance of scoring enough to make a game of it and they knew it. Hell, they never even ran a hurry up offense at any time. They kept playing, but they were fine with keeping the clock moving themselves.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:12 AM
Bonzai12

Tiger - I think Hillman just broke more yardage. He looked more impressive than Ball for sure, but I like that they got the rook in.

Apparently though, the RB coach gave Ball an earful on the sideline at one point. Did anyone see that? I guess I missed it.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Apparently though, the RB coach gave Ball an earful on the sideline at one point. Did anyone see that? I guess I missed it.
It was after the fumble. Studesville was in his ear as soon as he came off the field.

Ball had two fumbles in his college career and now he's got two in two weeks. He's gonna be glued to the bench if he doesn't straighten that out immediately.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Bonzai12

Monte Ball's week 2 journal before this Raiders game. Didn't realize he was always a Broncos fan:

Quote:
This week, I’ve just put a lot more emphasis on ball security. I don’t want to broadcast that as a problem because it’s definitely not a problem for me. Like every other running back, when I get in traffic, I’m going to put two hands on it. But when I’m out of traffic, I’m not going to be running with two hands on the football because it’s really difficult to run that way.
As everyone knows, this week we've got the Raiders. And growing up as a Broncos fan, I’m very familiar with the rivalry. The Raiders are a great organization. They have some fast, high-motor players on defense. They play with a lot of heart. For me, this week has been about watching film and staying away from all the hype about the big rivalry. For me, it’s just getting out there and contributing with my teammates.
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...7-a8fc1d628e8b

Old
09-24-2013, 11:33 AM
Rhaego

Robert Ayers had 2 more sacks. Sucks doesn't he?

Old
09-24-2013, 11:38 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Ayers gets a bad rap. No, he wasn't worth the 18th pick, but he's great against the run, specifically setting the edge. That's why he's stuck around. He's been decent on the pass rush to start the year too.

Closed Thread