HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Sports Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 09:42 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Wow...watching the Kenneth Faried story on E:60 is truly amazing. So much respect for him...he might have just become my favorite NBA player, which really isn't saying a lot because I don't watch a lot of NBA, but still, huge respect for him!

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
Old
05-08-2013, 05:14 AM
Nzap
0-60 in 0-60

vCash: 50
Sir Alex will retire at the end of the season.

One of the biggest, influential person will be sorely missed from the sidelines.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:07 AM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
Sir Alex will retire at the end of the season.

One of the biggest, influential person will be sorely missed from the sidelines.
My entire life hes been on the touchline for Man Utd. Its going to be weird not seeing him there. I really really really dont like him but I respect what hes done and think he has to go down as the greatest manager of all time.

Ill be interesting to see how Moyes follows him. He's a manager I really like but hes not got the experience at a huge team.

Old
05-08-2013, 09:13 AM
avalanchuck

George Karl named Coach of the Year

So much for Karl getting fired for his post season record...

Old
05-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Yeah, let's fire the Coach of the Year.

Best Nuggets season in history. I was excited about watching them play this year. There's only so much you can do with Kosta Koufos as your center.

Old
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Yeah, let's fire the Coach of the Year.

Best Nuggets season in history. I was excited about watching them play this year. There's only so much you can do with Kosta Koufos as your center.
Still deserves to get fired. Can't win in the playoffs. If anything this furthers my point of good regular season coach, terrible post-season coach. And guess what, all that matters is winning in the post season.

The reason Koufos is the starting center is because Karl is a bad coach. Karl has a much more talented, albeit raw center, in JaVale but Karl refuses to play him more than 17 minutes a game. How the hell is he supposed to get better by playing 17 mins a game? That one is on Karl and his arrogance. Why the hell can't any of our players make a jump shot? Why does GK keep running a 37 year old Andre Miller out there when he clearly looks gassed? Why does GK not give any playing time to Fournier or Hamilton who obviously have skills, especially shooting ability when the team struggles to hit open jump shots? Why can't this team ever learn to play tolerable defense when it matters? Why is Mozgov buried on the bench not getting any playing time, he was a stud in the Olympics for Russia? Why does GK continually run a lineup that features 4 players that bring the same qualities( Iggy, Galo, Brewer and Chandler) instead of mixing the lineups up so you have different qualities out there at the same time? You got to have lineups that give varying qualities or you will fail. These are all coaching decisions. And they are all very good questions, that I'm surprised aren't getting asked.

And I don't know how you can say this was the best season in Nuggets history, when we got upset in the first rd of the playoffs. Just because we set a franchise record in wins during the regular season doesn't mean jack. I'd consider the year we got the conference finals a much better season than this. Plus there were other occasions when Moe was the coach where they advanced far into the playoffs that would be better than this. So statistically speaking it was our best regular season, but it was an epic playoff fail AGAIN.

Old
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Bonzai12

The Warriors are looking like they are a better team without David Lee.

As for Karl in the playoffs, it's a question of Chicken vs. Egg for me.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1321195

Old
05-09-2013, 05:54 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
I don't get how you can stand by Josh McDaniels for 2 years but you want Karl fired for winning almost 70% of his games this year.

Who you gonna replace Karl with? PJ Carlesimo?
Nuggets need a change. Besides '09 he's been out in the 1st round every single year. Not all his fault, the way he plays basketball isn't working tho. He constantly switches on defense and it gets us killed by shooters, he loves to play small ball and run 2 PG lineups, or even 3 guard lineups with Faried playing center. It works sometimes, when it doesn't? He refuses to adjust. Going into the playoffs as a 57 win team who was the favorite, anybody who says we weren't doesn't follow the NBA closely and he still adjusts to the OTHER coach. Mark Jackson played him like a fiddle, figured out his "system" and let it fly. Superstars is a cop out. Curry was the best player in the series, Ty Lawson still put up great numbers including an insane 35/10 game.

Don't get me started on his rotations. He'll play Andre Miller regardless of how he's playing yet yank McGee after on mistake. We lack shooters, everybody knows this. Yet he'll play Brewer when he's shooting 30% and not hitting anything and leave Jordan Hamilton on the bench.

Great coach, great coaching career, he just has a tendency to fall apart in the playoffs. Probably has a ring if it wasn't for Jordan but the game has changed the trapping/switching isn't always effective. Worked on Chris Paul in '09, didn't work on Curry but he didn't completely stop it.

Denver needs to move on for the sake of moving on. I wouldn't mind Van Gundy, doubtful we could get him tho. Guy we get might not have Karl's rep, but he could end up being better in the long haul. Going to happen eventually, everybody is starting to see it. Not just Nuggets fans, whom already want the guy gone as well for the most part.

Old
05-09-2013, 06:19 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
George Karl named Coach of the Year

So much for Karl getting fired for his post season record...
Must have missed the Josh K joke where he basically kids around about him being on the hot seat. Karl won't get extended if we don't make it past the 1st round next year. He was never going to get fired. For all the stuff he's done for us, him being on contract, unless he really ***** the bed early next season he'll have one full year left.

He could win 62 games, it won't matter unless we advance. Right now alot of the talk I'm hearing is people wanting Karl to retire or step down and take another position with the team.

Do or die for Karl next season. Non Nuggets fans are starting to notice.

Old
05-10-2013, 03:23 AM
famicommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Gorge Karl is the best thing to happen to the Nuggets in their entire NBA history, getting rid of him would be beyond dumb.
The Nuggets got bounced in the first round of the playoffs the two seasons before he got here. Bzdelik started off the next season very poorly, Karl took over, and we've been bounced in the first round of the playoffs every year since except one.

We were a first round out before he got here, we've been a first round out since.

Doug Moe had us in the playoffs every year from 1981-1990, and he actually made it out of the first round four times. Plus he was the all time leader in Nuggets wins. Guess what? They made him fire himself.

Maybe you should learn some Nuggets history before making a statement like that.

If we can make a guy who made it out of the first round four times fire himself, I don't see why Karl is untouchable. We're no better or worse off than when we got him.

Old
05-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Huis Clos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by famicommander View Post
The Nuggets got bounced in the first round of the playoffs the two seasons before he got here. Bzdelik started off the next season very poorly, Karl took over, and we've been bounced in the first round of the playoffs every year since except one.

We were a first round out before he got here, we've been a first round out since.

Doug Moe had us in the playoffs every year from 1981-1990, and he actually made it out of the first round four times. Plus he was the all time leader in Nuggets wins. Guess what? They made him fire himself.

Maybe you should learn some Nuggets history before making a statement like that.

If we can make a guy who made it out of the first round four times fire himself, I don't see why Karl is untouchable. We're no better or worse off than when we got him.
I don't even watch basketball and I think if the Nuggets let Karl go most fans will regret the move in short order.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Bonzai12

Really great article on Karl and the Nuggets failure below

Blame it on Karl all you want, but as a unit the whole team miserably failed. The center position needs to be address (Javale is just too dumb at times, too tired at times, and too young and exciting at others - it's frustrating to watch him).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...fs-performance

The bottom line for me is that this team was the third youngest in the NBA.

Javale is going to get better, Lawson is probably already close to his max potential, Faried could have been a series changer if he'd be 100% at the start of the series, and Fournier and others are going to grow into roles.

This team REALLY needs a center, needs to retain a perimeter defender (Brewer or Iggy), needs another shooter besides Gallo (the points behind the arc essentially vanished since he was our only shooter), and needs someone to eventually fill Miller's role.

Koufos needs to be sent packing. He's just awful. I'm not convinced the world would end if Iggy didn't come back. Javale needs to get serious about basketball (which I think he is somewhat now, but I think this offseason will be the most crucial one for him).

Nuggets still have holes, but they have young guys that could step up in the next 1-2 years to make them a serious threat.

Old
05-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Bonzai12

Meanwhile.....

Mock drafts starting to pop up for the Rockies 3rd pick in the upcoming draft (I think it's around June 1?)

Most of them I am seeing right now have us taking a samoan pitcher by the name of Sean Manaea

You guys think we should go pitching or batter?

I know our pitching staff is basically in ruin, but I feel like pitchers in the draft are like goalies in the NHL - so damn unpredictable. I'm leaning towards a batter - most likely the unpopoular choice. The Rockies MO though has ALWAYS been to draft pitching though.

Old
05-10-2013, 10:43 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Meanwhile.....

Mock drafts starting to pop up for the Rockies 3rd pick in the upcoming draft (I think it's around June 1?)

Most of them I am seeing right now have us taking a samoan pitcher by the name of Sean Manaea

You guys think we should go pitching or batter?

I know our pitching staff is basically in ruin, but I feel like pitchers in the draft are like goalies in the NHL - so damn unpredictable. I'm leaning towards a batter - most likely the unpopoular choice. The Rockies MO though has ALWAYS been to draft pitching though.
The Rockies need to draft a position player. They seem to be able to develop those. Pitchers they have not figured out how to develop.

They can always trade for pitching, if you develop enough quality prospects, you can make trades with teams that know how to develop pitching prospects.

This is what the Rockies need to be doing right now, they have a bunch of quality minor leaguers with no place to play like Blackman, LeMahieu, and Dickerson. They should be exploring trades for young pitchers in other organizations with these guys.

I would like the Rockies to draft either Austin Meadows (OF) or Kris Bryant (3B), both are considered the top postion players available in this draft. The only pitcher I consider if he falls is Appel mainly because he is a college senior who has no option but to sign, and has really good stuff.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Bonzai12

Appel and Bryant are the best two players in the draft, but Boras is most likely representing both of them (Appel's already on, and the rumor is Bryant is signing on as well). Will be curious to see how the Rockies deal with that. I have a feeling that Boras and the Rockies don't have a good relationship - CarGo is his only client on the Rockies roster, and I have a feeling Scotty feels burnt over that CarGo deal that was basically signed/negotiated for the most part without him.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:

Old
05-10-2013, 11:17 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Appel and Bryant are the best two players in the draft, but Boras is most likely representing both of them (Appel's already on, and the rumor is Bryant is signing on as well). Will be curious to see how the Rockies deal with that. I have a feeling that Boras and the Rockies don't have a good relationship - CarGo is his only client on the Rockies roster, and I have a feeling Scotty feels burnt over that CarGo deal that was basically signed/negotiated for the most part without him.
What makes Appel appealing is the fact he has no options, he has to sign with whoever drafts him. He has no leverage what so ever. Thats why I think the Astros take him.

As for the Boras thing, you can't shy away from players who are represented by a certain agent. YOu have to take the best player and deal with the agent thing later.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
avalanchuck

Quote:
Imagine what Alex English could do in today's NBA?!

Old
05-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
Imagine what Alex English could do in today's NBA?!
He would be pretty much unstoppable.

Old
05-10-2013, 12:33 PM
famicommander

Quote:
Doug Moe had English, so now his resume doesn't count?

What about Karl and Carmelo Anthony?
For that matter, what about Karl and Ray Allen? Gary Payton? Kemp?

Karl has had plenty of star power in his career. Just because he didn't have any All-Stars this year (and I would argue that Lawson and Igoudala are All-Star caliber) doesn't mean he never did. The vast majority of his career he's had at least one hall of famer on his roster.

Old
05-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Doug Moe had English, so now his resume doesn't count?

What about Karl and Carmelo Anthony?
For that matter, what about Karl and Ray Allen? Gary Payton? Kemp?

Karl has had plenty of star power in his career. Just because he didn't have any All-Stars this year (and I would argue that Lawson and Igoudala are All-Star caliber) doesn't mean he never did. The vast majority of his career he's had at least one hall of famer on his roster.
Karl's Super Sonics were bested in the Finals by one of the best teams ever assembled and got bounced out twice in conf SF's by the Dream's Rockets and once by Shaq's Lakers, he led that Bucks team to the Eastern finals (lost to AI's 76ers), he also had a misfortune to play against the Jazz and the Suns while he coached the Super Sonics.

In Denver he had Melo and not much else (well unless you count AI who's simply wasn't Philly's version of AI) in his early years and now he has a bunch of kids who are trying to figure out how to win in postseason and on top of that his key player(s) was hit with an injury.

It's easy dismiss Karl's playoff track rocord until you take a look at the teams that got the best of him in the playoffs.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:13 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Karl's Super Sonics were bested in the Finals by one of the best teams ever assembled and got bounced out twice in conf SF's by the Dream's Rockets and once by Shaq's Lakers, he led that Bucks team to the Eastern finals (lost to AI's 76ers), he also had a misfortune to play against the Jazz and the Suns while he coached the Super Sonics.

In Denver he had Melo and not much else (well unless you count AI who's simply wasn't Philly's version of AI) in his early years and now he has a bunch of kids who are trying to figure out how to win in postseason and on top of that his key player(s) was hit with an injury.

It's easy dismiss Karl's playoff track rocord until you take a look at the teams that got the best of him in the playoffs.
I'm not really concerned with who beat him when he wasn't the Nuggets coach. What concerns me is his lack of ability to get series wins as the Nuggets coach.

Looking back I don't expect him to win every series, but there are a few that stick out to me that were winnable like LA Clippers in 05-06, Utah 09-10 (not all on Karl as he went out with cancer that year), Lakers 11-12, and GS 12-13. These were all ones that I'd consider ones we should have won. The others were going to be tough but it would have been nice to be a bit more competitive instead of losing 4-1 every time.

Old
05-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Bonzai12

2000 - Lakers (Shaq/Kobe)
2001 - Lakers (Shaq/Kobe)
2002 - Lakers (Shaq/Kobe)
2003 - Spurs (Tim Duncan)
2004 - Pistons (Hamilton/Wallacex2/Chauncey/Tayshaun)
2005 - Spurs (Tim Duncan)
2006 - Heat (Wade/Shaq)
2007 - Spurs (Duncan/Parker)
2008 - Celtics (Allen/Pierce/Garnett)
2009 - Lakers (Kobe)
2010 - Lakers (Kobe)
2011 - Mavericks (Dirk)
2012 - Heat (LeBron)

Tell me the Nuggets have had a player or player(s) that could beat out the above. That Pistons team pretty much had an All-Star at every single position. Every Star I've listed (outside the Pistons or Mavericks) is just plain better than Carmelo Anthony.

The irony is that the 2011 Mavericks were probably the window for the Nuggets to win - they're the anomaly of the list beating the Heat out. Unfortunately for the Nuggets, that's also the year Melo decided to whine like a brat and force the trade, so there goes the opportunity that year.

The simple fact is the Nuggets don't have a championship caliber squad. I think Faried could develop into a guy that could lead them there though someday. We need one of these guys to elevate to All Star ++ level.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
ANewHope
Nuggets|Avs|Broncos

Quote:

The simple fact is the Nuggets don't have a championship caliber squad. I think Faried could develop into a guy that could lead them there though someday. We need one of these guys to elevate to All Star ++ level.
I don't think anybody would say we do. We do however, and have had tons of talent and should have been out of the 1st round. It's not just Karl's coaching, it's his entire style. Doesn't work as well in the playoffs as it does in the regular season.

Karl has a great coaching career, good guy, done tons for the Nuggets and gets the best out of the them in the regular season but not a person on this planet who thinks he doesn't come up short come playoff time. He was outcoached this year, everybody seen it. I'm pretty sure he even admitted he needed to make changes after this season.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewHope View Post
I don't think anybody would say we do. We do however, and have had tons of talent and should have been out of the 1st round. It's not just Karl's coaching, it's his entire style. Doesn't work as well in the playoffs as it does in the regular season.

Karl has a great coaching career, good guy, done tons for the Nuggets and gets the best out of the them in the regular season but not a person on this planet who thinks he doesn't come up short come playoff time. He was outcoached this year, everybody seen it. I'm pretty sure he even admitted he needed to make changes after this season.
I'm honestly trying to understand this - is the negative Karl sentiment that we didn't lose in the second round rather than the first? Because it's a pipe dream to think these guys were going to win the NBA Championship. We just don't have the roster to go that far - it's very obvious from the list of the last 15 years or so that you have to have at least ONE elite All-Star on your roster to win a ring. We didn't even have an All-Star reserve on this year's squad (pissed me off too, but that's just the fact). I think we'd be hard pressed to find ANY team in NBA history that won a championship without an All-Star.

Closed Thread