HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

comrie article from Ann Arbor news

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2003, 10:54 AM
  #1
Funkymoses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
comrie article from Ann Arbor news

http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/i...1469561710.xml

not much info, but I thought I'd post it.

Funkymoses is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 01:44 PM
  #2
Oilers Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
"It's been talked about," Comrie joked. "But like I said, my only concern is getting ready for the NHL season."
This little punk is starting to piss me off! :mad: :mad:

Does he want to stay or not!!!!!!????

Oilers Hockey is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 02:18 PM
  #3
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
http://www.mlive.com/sports/aanews/i...1469561710.xml

not much info, but I thought I'd post it.
If you post it for us, we will read it.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 02:26 PM
  #4
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
<b>Sloan, Comrie skate with team </b>

Pros work out, feel at home at Yost Arena as they wait to join NHL teams

Wednesday, September 24, 2003

BY ANTOINE PITTS
News Sports Reporter





Blake Sloan and Mike Comrie aren't exactly where they want to be at this time of the hockey season. But the alternative, a chance to skate with their former college team, isn't too bad either.

Sloan is an unrestricted free agent after playing last season for the Calgary Flames. Comrie is in a contract dispute with the Edmonton Oilers.

Both have been skating with the current University of Michigan players for more than a week.

"If there's any one spot that makes you feel at home and comfortable, it's being back here," said Sloan, who graduated in 1997. "In light of the circumstances of looking for a job, there's no other place I'd like to be."

Sloan said he is confident that he'll have an offer soon. That's why he's skating with the Wolverines to stay in shape for the season.

He's spent the past five seasons in the NHL, winning a Stanley Cup ring with Dallas in 1999.

Comrie, who has played for his hometown Oilers the past three seasons, chose to come down from Edmonton for the same reason: a chance to get in shape for the season in a place that feels like home.

"At this time of year, the business side of hockey needs taking care of," said Comrie, who played at U-M from 1999-2000. "For me, my main concern is getting ready for the hockey season and not worrying about my contract status."

The two NHL players battle on the ice like anyone else to make a play or chase down a loose puck in practice. Sloan and Comrie pal around with the current Wolverines and even dress in the same locker room they used to as Michigan players.

"They've got a good combination of skill and grit," Comrie said in his evaluation of the team. "They've got solid goaltending, great defense, and most importantly, great kids."

Sloan said he doesn't see any weaknesses. "I like their team," he said. "I like the character. I like the leadership. I certainly like their defense and goaltending."

Being part of practice means also taking part in the weekly Tuesday sprints that they didn't always necessarily look forward to as Michigan players.

"Hey, that's part of the fun of being out here again," Sloan said.

If they could, the Michigan coaches wouldn't mind seeing Comrie get back the two years of eligibility he lost when he turned pro after two college seasons.

"It's been talked about," Comrie joked. "But like I said, my

only concern is getting ready for the NHL season."

outKast* is offline  
Old
09-24-2003, 03:06 PM
  #5
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Stand up and be counted

Mikey's sounding just a touch coy isn't he?

OYLer is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 06:00 AM
  #6
Funkymoses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
This little punk is starting to piss me off! :mad: :mad:

Does he want to stay or not!!!!!!????
Uh, I don't see the problem with that quote.

Funkymoses is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 07:40 AM
  #7
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymoses
Uh, I don't see the problem with that quote.
Me either - but it has started, as mentioned on other posts, the inevitablte running Comrie out of town by the bandwagon jumping fans of Edmonton. The only people upset with Comrie are the unknowlegdeable fans that follow the team through the papers and on TV. They never go to games, never listen to them on the radio never have their own opinion they just follow the "mob". Why run him out of town, why boo him, why rip him in the media and on these forums? He is one of the best young talents in the league. IT IS A BUSINESS! Nobody boo's, rip's, and bashes unions for going on strike for an increase in wages or benefits. This is his livelyhood - he is not going to sign for nothing and if he does where is the incentive to play hard? His comments were perfectly acceptable and have been since the beginning of this process. Of course he wants to be in Edmonton - he is from St. Albert, played hockey there his whole life, loved the Oilers as a kid, family, friends, everything is here. Let the contract complete itself and cheer him as you have in the past. We don't want a Patrice Brisbois situation. Imagine how difficult it would be to play in front of a hostile home crowd every night.

Walsher is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 08:03 AM
  #8
Oilers Hockey
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Oh, so now that I'm a little angry with his attitude, means I'm an uneducated, bandwagon fan? Whether you stated that outright or not is irrevalent, it was implied. Or does it make you feel like a big man trying to discredit my opinion?

I've been an Oiler fan all my life, so don't you dare imply I'm your average uneducated bandwagon fan! Yes I am pissed off with Comrie, but I don't want to run him out of town! I simply think the way he is handling this situation is less than professional, and thats also a major insult to others who are feeling upset over his attitude.

Oilers Hockey is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 08:45 AM
  #9
Funkymoses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I simply think the way he is handling this situation is less than professional, and thats also a major insult to others who are feeling upset over his attitude.
he wanted to come to camp. he's working out so he'll be ready for the season. I don't think that's unprofessional.

Funkymoses is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 09:28 AM
  #10
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
The only people upset with Comrie are the unknowlegdeable fans that follow the team through the papers and on TV. They never go to games, never listen to them on the radio never have their own opinion they just follow the "mob". Why run him out of town, why boo him, why rip him in the media and on these forums? He is one of the best young talents in the league. IT IS A BUSINESS! Nobody boo's, rip's, and bashes unions for going on strike for an increase in wages or benefits.
What?! You are way off base to say that only the unknowledgable are upset with Comrie. There are lots of very knowledgeable hockey people that I've talked to on both sides of the fence - don't be so ignorant.

Furthermore, I'm not pro-union by any stretch... but you can't compare a typical union to the NHLPA, or a typical labourer to an NHL player - save us the drama. Most unions are set up to protect worker rights and set up a system where employees are paid on an equitable scale... however it's often not fair for the individual union member, as they are tied to that same pay scale as everyone else regardless of how hard they work. When is the last time you saw one single nurse, teacher, miner, Safeway cashier, etc. staging a holdout for more money because they are more valuable than the rest of the organization? I've personally never seen it. If you want to make that comparison, then maybe you should call up the NHLPA and suggest that they set up a pay system for their players based on senority... then I won't feel discontent with players staging holdouts.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
09-25-2003, 09:34 AM
  #11
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Me either - but it has started, as mentioned on other posts, the inevitablte running Comrie out of town by the bandwagon jumping fans of Edmonton. The only people upset with Comrie are the unknowlegdeable fans that follow the team through the papers and on TV. They never go to games, never listen to them on the radio never have their own opinion they just follow the "mob". Why run him out of town, why boo him, why rip him in the media and on these forums? He is one of the best young talents in the league. IT IS A BUSINESS! Nobody boo's, rip's, and bashes unions for going on strike for an increase in wages or benefits. This is his livelyhood - he is not going to sign for nothing and if he does where is the incentive to play hard? His comments were perfectly acceptable and have been since the beginning of this process. Of course he wants to be in Edmonton - he is from St. Albert, played hockey there his whole life, loved the Oilers as a kid, family, friends, everything is here. Let the contract complete itself and cheer him as you have in the past. We don't want a Patrice Brisbois situation. Imagine how difficult it would be to play in front of a hostile home crowd every night.
IMO it all comes down to this: Is he being pushed out, or is he quietly pushing himself out because he wants to go somewhere?

Speculation is flying from both sides of this debate, but nobody really knows for sure. Adding to the general confusion is the fact that both player and management are keeping their cards very close to the vest.

I'll end with this: One of the hallmarks of Lowe's GM tenure thus far has been his penchant for getting all his important pieces in camp from the start, even so far as to perhaps overpay on contracts to certain favoured players (Brewer, York, Cross, even Salo come to mind). Some posters considered it a breath of fresh air vs. the yearly contract holdouts that seemed to occur ever September under Sather, others criticized it as budget mismanagement that was inexcuseable for a small market team. To my knowledge the only two holdouts we've had so far up to this point were Poti and Smyth...Poti had some fans disgruntled with some less than ideal offseason comments, but the fans didn't really get on his case until a while after he came back and it was apparent he wasn't going to be the player we were hoping for (like someone else here already mentioned). Smyth's holdout was rather amicable as these things go, as I recall he was allowed to skate with team for the first while and even though he wasn't given permission to play the exhibition games there was always a feeling that this was just part of the process, he would be signed sooner rather than later.

Why is the Comrie holdout so different?

Personally I think this is a whole lot like Poti, in more ways than one. To this day I still believe that Poti wanted to be traded during his last summer here, whether it was wanting to go back home to the Boston area or problems with MacT or whatever. I think the same thing's happening here, but Comrie is being much more careful about what comes out of his mouth than Poti did at first. Just my opinion.

He's leaving. It's just a matter of when and where.

Digger12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.