HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Ferraro New SN Guy

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 05:26 AM
PineJockey

vCash: 500
Ray Ferraro New SN Guy

Well, in the Sun today they announced that Ray Ferraro will be the new SportsNet colour man. Most were hoping for Kelly Hrudy but what can you do. Has anyone out there ever heard Ferraro call a game?

Old
09-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
I've seen Ray on ABC/ESPN during the playoffs, and he's go A LOT to learn. Actually, I saw him during Oil/Stars and he had trouble with a few names; Hemsky, Dvorak, Staois LOL

But he is very knowledgeable and I'm sure it will be a smooth transition.

Sure I would have preferred Kelly Hrudey, but I don't blame him for leaving CBC and for CBC not letting him leave.

I love watching the doubleheader games (even when Canuckleheads and Flamers are playing) Kelly is bright and talks about facts, rather than opinion (Cheap shot on that bum Cherry)

Plus, I think CBC is grooming him to be the next Don Cherry aka Hockey Know-it-all of hockey.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:35 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Sportsnet was holding "auditions" here in Edmonton during the first part of training camp. I ran into Ray Ferraro at Skyreach the first Monday after the Sherwood Park sessions were done. Seems like a nice guy and players usually make great colour men.

Hrudey could have done both Sportsnet and CBC as there are no televised games on Saturdays other than HNIC. He sounded as though he wanted to do both but said he definitely would not leave CBC to do Sportsnet. And why would anyone really? HNIC is the Monday Night Football of hockey. But it was not a scheduling conflict with the two networks.

Ferraro will do fine... although I must admit being a bit surprised at the choice just because I don't know how familiar he is with the area and the players in this division. Time will tell.

Good Luck Ray.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:53 AM
goldenchild

Ray is a western Cdn guy (trail BC) so i don't think the area will be a problem. He was on ESPN 2 with John Buccigross on NHL tonight and he did a very nice job, understands the game and obviously knows the players and has a nice personality.

funny story his nickname on ESPN is Chicken Parm cuz that's his pre-game/pre-show meal and apparently before a playoff game he ended up wearing it all over his suit thus Chicken Parm was born.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:57 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean it's not that it's Ray who got the job, but that Kelly didn't!!!!!! I'm REEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYY MAD!

Old
09-24-2003, 07:36 AM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
This sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean it's not that it's Ray who got the job, but that Kelly didn't!!!!!! I'm REEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYY MAD!
Dude. You've got to learn to relax. Sounds like Ferraro will be great.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:52 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild
funny story his nickname on ESPN is Chicken Parm cuz that's his pre-game/pre-show meal and apparently before a playoff game he ended up wearing it all over his suit thus Chicken Parm was born.
lol, yeah, I remember that's all they used to call him...Chicken Parm. I don't mind Ferraro that much...he definitely knows his hockey, funny guy as well.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:31 AM
OYLer

Ray Ferraro had a distinguished well travelled 17 year NHL career as a feisty in your face centerman drafted and eventually playing for Hartford Whalers. He moved on to New-York Islanders, jumped to New-York Rangers, then the Los-Angeles Kings, Atlanta Thrashers, finishing his career with a playoff run in St. Louis with the Blues.

I wish him well and hope he retains some of the small town perspective that haling from Trail, BC should provide.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Hemsky4PM

I wish him well and hope he retains some of the small town perspective that haling from Trail, BC should provide.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is small town perspective???

Anyways, Ferraro can't be anywhere as bad as Glenn Healey: "Hemsky was one of the great rookie call ups from Hamilton for the Oilers this year". When it comes to research he's no Steven Hawkings.

Old
09-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny08
I've seen Ray on ABC/ESPN during the playoffs, and he's go A LOT to learn. Actually, I saw him during Oil/Stars and he had trouble with a few names; Hemsky, Dvorak, Staois LOL
Ferraro played with Staois, I have a hard time believing he would pronounce it wrong.

This is a loss for ESPN, especially for NHL2Nite. He always has interesting comments on the play, stuff you might not have noticed. He's also very funny. I'm sure his decision was to be closer to his kids, who live in BC with their mom.

Another thing about him is that he calls things as he sees them, if someone is doing something wrong, he'll point it out. He's tactful about it, but he doesn't sugarcoat bad play.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:37 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Ferraro will do fine... although I must admit being a bit surprised at the choice just because I don't know how familiar he is with the area and the players in this division. Time will tell.

Good Luck Ray.
FANTASTIC guy, fantastic decision.

Ray is a huge Oiler fan. Some say he is a bigger Canuck fan (he wanted to play for the Canucks last year, and really talked glowingly about them). However, after listening to him speak on the radio & on TV this off-season, I realize just how much he knows about the Oilers and what a big fan of the team he is.

He was on CKNW the other day before the Oilers/Canucks pre-season matchup, and he talked about how the Oilers have the best 'team toughness' in the league, in that everyone sticks up for everyone. He talks glowingly about the Oilers future, and he is a huge fan of Ryan Smyth. I was impressed with his work on TSN last year during the playoffs, and didn't see him on ESPN as much. He does have a lot to learn, but I think you guys will really like this guy. You will not mean many guys as nice & keen on hockey as Ray Ferraro.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
You will not mean many guys as nice & keen on hockey as Ray Ferraro.
Well...

I'll let you all have your happy moment, but Parm's not perfect and he can be a jerk at times. But, I enjoy him on the air and that's what's important here.

Old
09-24-2003, 10:51 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Well...

I'll let you all have your happy moment, but Parm's not perfect and he can be a jerk at times. But, I enjoy him on the air and that's what's important here.
I have met him breifly outside of TV/Hockey, and he seemed like an excellent guy who was just pleased to be involved in hockey. No, he's not perfect - who is!

Old
09-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I have met him breifly
Indeed.

On a side note, he's dating Cammi Granato.

Old
09-24-2003, 12:15 PM
OYLer

You asked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
What exactly is small town perspective???
Realistic yet short of cynical, still awed by the remarkable and willing to show it, level-headed, approachable, but unwilling to toe and/or tow the party line. Willing to take care of business but carefull not to always put business before people.

Old
09-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Hairball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Sportsnet was holding "auditions" here in Edmonton during the first part of training camp. I ran into Ray Ferraro at Skyreach the first Monday after the Sherwood Park sessions were done. Seems like a nice guy and players usually make great colour men.

Hrudey could have done both Sportsnet and CBC as there are no televised games on Saturdays other than HNIC. He sounded as though he wanted to do both but said he definitely would not leave CBC to do Sportsnet. And why would anyone really? HNIC is the Monday Night Football of hockey. But it was not a scheduling conflict with the two networks.

Good Luck Ray.

Excuse me?

I believe we nee a little clarification here. I think you meant to say that Monday Night Football is the Hockey Night in Canada of Football. Humpff.

Old
09-24-2003, 02:32 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i'm happy to see someone other than DON TAYLOR there

Old
09-24-2003, 02:58 PM
Tarkus

Little known Ray Ferraro fact:

He holds the WHL record for most goals in one regular season---108 in '83-'84 while with the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Link!

Old
09-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Malmo_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus
Little known Ray Ferraro fact:

He holds the WHL record for most goals in one regular season---108 in '83-'84 while with the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Link!
psshh...I knew that...Everyone knows that...Really...OK...I lied...I just wanted to sound cool

Old
09-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Impossibles

So ferraro will do the color for Oilers games? (sportsnet west?)

You guys are lucky...he's been on the radio here (vancouver) a lot and he's great. Really great personality and tells it like it is, he isn't going to sugar coat anything.

Cudos to SN to paying him the $$$ to do this. Hopefully we get a few games out here to watch him. Gotta get digital cable so I can watch more oilers games.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:44 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think Ray will be fine.. I just really like Kelly.... oh well....

Closed Thread