HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF SERIES DISCUSSION | (1) Penguins vs. (8) Islanders | No Sleep Till Brooklyn

Old
04-29-2013, 05:46 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBennett View Post
Along with ColePens, I am worried about this Isles match up. They are the team I did NOT want to play. I would've welcomed the Sens or Rags, but the Isles for some reason always find a way to capitalize upon even the smallest mistake our team makes, or take the smallest of open ice chances and convert on it... That scares me. And the player I am most scared of isnt JT, its Grabner. I can see him just giving our Dmen serious fits, you give Grabner one chance to put he pedal to the floor and he is 3-4 steps ahead of you and has decent enough hands to bury more chances than not. I fear that player in this series.

Again... Like others here I may be just worrying myself to death. But I see how they can and have been able to take all the wind out of our sails over the past couple of season and capitalize on even the smallest of opportunities when playing us.

I am hoping to beat them in 5 or 6... But this opponent worries me.
I was just coming to post about Grabner. Fastest player in the league IMO and he seems to toast the Pens in games against the Isles. The Pens really have to watch out with that Letang to Iggy pass on the PP.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:02 AM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Grabner is a very streaky player though. I had him on my fantasy team this season and some weeks he puts up points like a superstar and the next week you think he is injured or something as he does less than nothing. Hopefully he has one of his off weeks during this series.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:10 AM
MeticulouslyDishevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stad View Post
I hope we don't have a ****ing 'white out' again this year. It's time for a change.
I read either on the Pens website, the Post-Gazette or the Trib that there won't be any whiteouts in at least the first round. Instead they're doing the terrible towel.

(Sorry I can't get a link on that because I'm on my phone).

Edit - it's in the Trib.

Last edited by MeticulouslyDishevel: 04-29-2013 at 06:29 AM.
MeticulouslyDishevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStinger View Post
Grabner is a very streaky player though. I had him on my fantasy team this season and some weeks he puts up points like a superstar and the next week you think he is injured or something as he does less than nothing. Hopefully he has one of his off weeks during this series.
No question about that. I don't even think he's that good a player but his speed just seems to give the Pens a hard time.

Hamonic is also another player to watch out for. Tough as nails and has some skill too.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Michael Grabner has one shorty this year and 16 goals, which makes him the second leading goal scorer on the Isles. Dangerous, sure, I agree. At a level outside of what any and every other NHL team has? No.

Imagine if the Isles fans are comparatively as scared about Sid and Geno.... and Neal... and Kunitz.... and Iginla.... and Dupuis (I mean if Grabner is scary....)... and... and... and....

The would have to be utter wrecks wouldn't they?

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:02 AM
pensfansince88

pens in 5.

we better win this series or heads will roll and im not talking about the yeah yeah yeahs

pensfansince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Alesle

I definitely like our chances, but anyone thinking itíll be an easy sweep are kidding themselves. This is the playoffs, there are no easy series. Anyone can beat any other team over 7 games.

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50

I love the people smack talking us on the main board. So funny to read.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Marns

Very unhappy CBC didn't choose to air our series. No cable means getting TSN is gonna be a pain in the ass.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
Very unhappy CBC didn't choose to air our series. No cable means getting TSN is gonna be a pain in the ass.
All but one of the scheduled Penguins games (the Sunday noon game) crashes with either the Toronto or the Montreal/Ottawa series. When CBC picked those two series it became "impossible" for them to pick the Penguins series.

Alesle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:44 AM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marns View Post
I thought you had GCL mate?

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Atren

Did anyone else beside me reading the name of the GDT signup thread thought for moment that Macintyre is going to play game 1?

Atren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:21 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

We're just too deep this year to not win this series at the very least.

I definitely see the Isles potting some goals but we should have 4 lines that can put the puck in the net. Even if we played as undisciplined as we did last year, i still see us outscoring the Isles 5on5 and on the PP by a significant margin.

Only way i see the Isles winning this series is if Nabakov stands on his head.

I just want Orpik ready to go. With Orpik, Letang and Martin being our big 3, we are gonna be in good shape to start the series.

OGBobbyFarnham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Fire Shero*

As long as Fleury doesn't impersonate Stevie Wonder again, I like our chances. But you never know with Fleury. That third goal he allowed vs Carolina scared me.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:27 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
As long as Fleury doesn't impersonate Stevie Wonder again, I like our chances. But you never know with Fleury. That third goal he allowed vs Carolina scared me.
That was a faceoff goal that isn't his fault. Gotta tie up.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:31 AM
OGBobbyFarnham

Fleury could stink it up but we have a very capable backup finally.
Thanks RS.

OGBobbyFarnham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:39 AM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
That was a faceoff goal that isn't his fault. Gotta tie up.
wasn't it also deflected a few times before it got to him?

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:50 AM
MrBrightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBennett View Post
Along with ColePens, I am worried about this Isles match up. They are the team I did NOT want to play. I would've welcomed the Sens or Rags, but the Isles for some reason always find a way to capitalize upon even the smallest mistake our team makes, or take the smallest of open ice chances and convert on it... That scares me. And the player I am most scared of isnt JT, its Grabner. I can see him just giving our Dmen serious fits, you give Grabner one chance to put he pedal to the floor and he is 3-4 steps ahead of you and has decent enough hands to bury more chances than not. I fear that player in this series.

Again... Like others here I may be just worrying myself to death. But I see how they can and have been able to take all the wind out of our sails over the past couple of season and capitalize on even the smallest of opportunities when playing us.

I am hoping to beat them in 5 or 6... But this opponent worries me.
Where does this belief come from? The Pens are 15-4-1 in their last 20 against the Islanders and outscored them 16-5 in the last 4 games. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but the idea that people keep perpetuating that the Islanders always give the Pens trouble is simply not accurate...kind of like how people will talk about how big and physical Boston is despite the fact they are one of the smallest teams in the league.

MrBrightside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:07 AM
shizno*

You guys are scared Grabner is going to win this series single handidly for the Isles? Really? If you are worried about a single player taking over a series as a Pens fan, you would be ******** giant bricks as an Isles fan looking at Sid/Geno/Neal/Kunitz/Iggy/Juice/Tang...Glass etc

shizno* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:14 AM
spizzle420

I like this matchup.

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

So we never beat the Islanders in the playoffs since our existence. Time for that to change!!!

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:23 AM
cheesedanish87

I really don't think you guys are giving the Isles enough credit, last 2 games Pens and Isles played i thought Isles outplayed Pens but TV stood on his head and won the games, TV was 3-0 0.80 GAA .970 vs the Isles this year, Hes probably not gonna be playing in this series, i'd be surprised if this isn't a long series.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
SirBrad

It's the playoffs, I wish I coudl be as confident as some of you, but just can't be. I do feel the Pens have the advantage and SHOULD win in 6 games, but you never know.

That said, if they lose this series, Bylsma will definitely be out looking for a job this summer.

SirBrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:25 AM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
Experience Vs. Inexperience

I want to see Morrow, Cooke, Orpik, Murray & co open up the series with some huge hits & set the tone, welcome these young inexperienced players to the playoffs.

SHOULD be an easy series on paper, though I would not take the Islanders lightly we always seem to have some issues against them. Im guessing they'll steal 1 or 2 games, I predict penguins in 5 or 6

SUBdrewgANS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Beauner

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
You guys are scared Grabner is going to win this series single handidly for the Isles? Really? If you are worried about a single player taking over a series as a Pens fan, you would be ******** giant bricks as an Isles fan looking at Sid/Geno/Neal/Kunitz/Iggy/Juice/Tang...Glass etc
This is a good point. The Isles have some good players- if they didn't they wouldn't be in the playoffs. But don't over-analyze this. We have loads of depth and players who are hungry for a cup along with guys still embarrassed about last year. They have no experience and average depth. Sure they might take a game or 2 but in order to lose this series, something ridiculous would need to happen.

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote