HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion) - Offseason FA and trade talk Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 07:00 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
Parise leaving pissed me off. Elias leaving would make me cry. Clarkson leaving would be meh.
Except when Clarkson goes to the Flyers. You just know if he's leaving he'll probably show up with a rival.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
I could see Clarkie in Flyers jersey.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

I think it's either Toronto or NJ but someone might go crazy with it.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku Saki View Post
I think it's either Toronto or NJ but someone might go crazy with it.
Yea I think it will be like Parise. Would come back to NJ if he wasnt offered more money by the Wild.

I think the same happens with Clarkie.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:39 PM
downtown56

From TG's article
Quote:
“It’s just fresh in the game and that comes down to whatever happen here with (GM Lou) Lamoriello and everything,” Clarkson said. “But I’ve loved playing here. It’s a fun spot. I’ve got a lot of friends I’ve made over the years. Right now, it’s a tough one to swallow, but I’m sure in the next couple of weeks or so, I’ll know more.”

Old
04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

TG also made reference to a budget. Marty and especially Elias have also hinted at it in recent days. So it looks like we're ****ed as far as getting 'another' top six forward unless Lou pulls a trade out of his ***.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Scott04

My reaction to Clarkson leaving would all depend on the terms for his departure. If he leaves for something around $5+ mil a year, I'm honestly not going to be too upset about it, regardless of whether or not the Devils "matched" his offer more or less. If for some strange reason he leaves for 3 years/$10 mil or something around that cap hit, then yeah I'll be pissed. He's not worth us shelling out $5+ mil a year, but a more reasonable price and term would frustrate me if we couldn't match the same (if that's the circumstance for him leaving).

Old
04-27-2013, 07:46 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
TG also made reference to a budget. Marty and especially Elias have also hinted at it in recent days. So it looks like we're ****ed as far as getting 'another' top six forward unless Lou pulls a trade out of his ***.
I doubt they know much about it to be honest. I dont think we have a money issue

Old
04-27-2013, 07:48 PM
devilsblood

Given how lousy a scoring team we were this year, how few returning proven scorers we have, how few good looking fwd prospects we have, I think people are way to eager to see Clarkson walk.

And even if we look beyond proven scorers, we have in general a brutal lack of depth up front that will only get worse when Poni and Sullivan leave.

I know we'll have a good chunk of cap space, so incoming FA's are an option/necessity, but just the same, all things considered, watching our leading goal scorer walk is worse then a "meh" scenario.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:49 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

If they use Clarkson's money to actually get a real top six forward in here, I don't think people will mind nearly as much. Of course if we lose him without replacing him at all a la Parise then it's a different story.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Quote:
If they use Clarkson's money to actually get a real top six forward in here, I don't think people will mind nearly as much. Of course if we lose him without replacing him at all a la Parise then it's a different story.
Exactly, if we use Clarkson's money to get Weiss or Horton or Ribiero or someone. I would be happy

Old
04-27-2013, 07:53 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
My reaction to Clarkson leaving would all depend on the terms for his departure. If he leaves for something around $5+ mil a year, I'm honestly not going to be too upset about it, regardless of whether or not the Devils "matched" his offer more or less. If for some strange reason he leaves for 3 years/$10 mil or something around that cap hit, then yeah I'll be pissed. He's not worth us shelling out $5+ mil a year, but a more reasonable price and term would frustrate me if we couldn't match the same (if that's the circumstance for him leaving).
If I'm Dev's I'm willing to spend $5mil for up to 4 years. I know Zajak has a much more complete game, but that guy is getting $5mil for 8 years and posters were psyched. And that guy has scored a total of 22 goals over the last 3 years.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:02 PM
devilsblood

Quote:

I'm of the opinion that we need to add pieces, not replace our leading goal scorer with someone else.

But to Scott04's point it all depends on the terms.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Lack of depth will get worse when ponikarovsky leaves? Haha what has he done in his time back? Jack **** other than float around an clog up a roster spot. He's been a complete bust. I would rather re sign Sullivan before him. Things will get better when the one trick Poni is gone cause josefson and loktionov won't be scratched over him. Dagostini can replace him. After all he has two goals in ten games compared to Poni having two in like thirty.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:08 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
I doubt they know much about it to be honest. I dont think we have a money issue
Given our lack of spending this year(not just Zach), I think they may be on to something.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Gotta agree with devilsblood, we're so quick to dismiss Clarkson, but if no one else is out there. WTF are the Devils going to do? They need scoring. And he scored at least some of the time this season.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
If I'm Dev's I'm willing to spend $5mil for up to 4 years. I know Zajak has a much more complete game, but that guy is getting $5mil for 8 years and posters were psyched. And that guy has scored a total of 22 goals over the last 3 years.
IF we are talking about keeping Clarkson for $5 mil a year, I wouldn't do it for more than 2 years, MAYBE 3. I'm not confident in giving him that much money for too long of a term right now. With Clarkson, I think you're going to have a legitimate consistency concern and have to worry if you're paying for may have been a flash in the pan (be it last year's 30 goals or his start to this season), or disregarding a cold streak (the 2nd half of this year). That's why I worry about giving him a long term deal unless at a reasonable price (something below $4 mil annually).

In regards to Zajac, its a totally different ball game as one contract was given BEFORE the slump, and now we're talking about whether or not to give one AFTER the slump. For Zajac, we are talking about it with hindsight (although it may still be too early to fully assess if it was a good contract to give or not). We were going off multiple years of (varying) production. The theory was that he will put up the points with a legitimate scorer. He hit a big slump, his linemates varied, the whole team sucked offensively, etc. The numbers weren't there, simple as that, and just hope he turns it around for the remainder of the term. But for Clarkson you have to decide which Clarkson is the one you may have to lock up for half of a decade. Tough to call really...

Old
04-27-2013, 08:11 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Lack of depth will get worse when ponikarovsky leaves? Haha what has he done in his time back? Jack **** other than float around an clog up a roster spot. He's been a complete bust. I would rather re sign Sullivan before him. Things will get better when the one trick Poni is gone cause josefson and loktionov won't be scratched over him. Dagostini can replace him. After all he has two goals in ten games compared to Poni having two in like thirty.
He's been a non factor, no question. But just the fact that we traded for him after he walked this offseason, and played liked junk in winnipeg, speaks to our lack of depth up front.

And I like Josefson, but if we are going to talk production, that guy has no leg to stand on.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
Gotta agree with devilsblood, we're so quick to dismiss Clarkson, but if no one else is out there. WTF are the Devils going to do? They need scoring. And he scored at least some of the time this season.
You try and bring him back, but if the money is stupid, you're paying somebody out of desperation and a lack of faith in one's ability to field a team for that matter. You hamstring yourself down the road when better opportunities arise for other moves.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:15 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
IF we are talking about keeping Clarkson for $5 mil a year, I wouldn't do it for more than 2 years, MAYBE 3. I'm not confident in giving him that much money for too long of a term right now. With Clarkson, I think you're going to have a legitimate consistency concern and have to worry if you're paying for may have been a flash in the pan (be it last year's 30 goals or his start to this season), or disregarding a cold streak (the 2nd half of this year). That's why I worry about giving him a long term deal unless at a reasonable price (something below $4 mil annually).

In regards to Zajac, its a totally different ball game as one contract was given BEFORE the slump, and now we're talking about whether or not to give one AFTER the slump. For Zajac, we are talking about it with hindsight (although it may still be too early to fully assess if it was a good contract to give or not). We were going off multiple years of (varying) production. The theory was that he will put up the points with a legitimate scorer. He hit a big slump, his linemates varied, the whole team sucked offensively, etc. The numbers weren't there, simple as that, and just hope he turns it around for the remainder of the term. But for Clarkson you have to decide which Clarkson is the one you may have to lock up for half of a decade. Tough to call really...
Clarkson has proven himself a fairly reliable, although streaky goal scorer. And I know this may be quibbling, but 4 years is not half a decade. And Zajac got EIGHT years at 5 per, this after 3 seasons in which he totaled 22 goals.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Clarkson had one year and fifteen games of scoring goals, that's not proven really. He'll get paid like he's proven unfortunately though, and like someone else said he's a big union guy, he ain't taking the hometown discounts people thought he might.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Fayne Staley
Deboer is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
You try and bring him back, but if the money is stupid, you're paying somebody out of desperation and a lack of faith in one's ability to field a team for that matter. You hamstring yourself down the road when better opportunities arise for other moves.
I understand that, I wouldn't pay that much either.

I really do not have much faith in Lou.

Re; Josefson. Maybe something can be done with a package of him and Fayne?

Something needs to happen. this team needs new life.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

I'm fine with Clarkson leaving, especially if we are talking money that is north of 4 mil, and if it's in 5 mil territory, it's not even worth debating how bad that deal is for whichever team gives it. I hope it's not us.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:19 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
Well that is the question, what is "stupid" money in regards to Clarkson?

I think a lot of guys have set the level far too low.

Old
04-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Well that is the question, what is "stupid" money in regards to Clarkson?

I think a lot of guys have set the level far too low.
Anything over 4m.

Closed Thread