HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Oxide

vCash: 50
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-au...0-e59cc08a455a

Video of Jones touring Pittsburgh. He seems like a really good guy.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:20 PM
UnrealMachine

vCash: 500
Pretty cool article about Reggie Dunn that I came across (it is mostly about 40 times): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbar...b_2869049.html

It's unfortunate for him and athletes like him regarding the 35-yard line kickoffs. All that can be said though is that he is truly in an elite class regarding speed.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Why the Steelers passed on Eddie Lacy.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...d-off-steelers
Time will tell if this was a mistake or not. But this has regret written all over it. Unless that toe was fused a couple of weeks ago it certainly never held him back when he played. I hope that the Steelers were right on this, but I doubt it. Players who get passed like this usually turn out and make the teams passing them regret it.

On top of that Bell looked incredibly slow and unimpressive on film. Yeah he had a ton of production in a big conference, but he just has nothing nifty looking about him at all. I wonder how he will do at the next level against better players than he faced in college and can not just muscle people as he could in college. I think that is more of a worry than a toe that did not seem to effect Lacy at all.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Time will tell if this was a mistake or not. But this has regret written all over it. Unless that toe was fused a couple of weeks ago it certainly never held him back when he played. I hope that the Steelers were right on this, but I doubt it. Players who get passed like this usually turn out and make the teams passing them regret it.

On top of that Bell looked incredibly slow and unimpressive on film. Yeah he had a ton of production in a big conference, but he just has nothing nifty looking about him at all. I wonder how he will do at the next level against better players than he faced in college and can not just muscle people as he could in college. I think that is more of a worry than a toe that did not seem to effect Lacy at all.
A turf toe is an incurable thing. You can try to rectify it, but it will always come back.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

You can argue either way. Bell played in a weaker conference but he also had nowhere near the O-Line and overall supporting cast that Lacie had. Bell also had a clean bill of health while Lacie had the toe issue.

I can see why the Steelers picked Bell. In the tape I watched he had good feet and was athletic enough to be an early down back but also big enough to be a short yardage back and had good enough hands to play on passing downs and catch the ball out of the backfield. A guy that can play on all 3 downs like that was a huge part of the criteria for the Steelers. Also part of the criteria was a young back with a unique combination of experience but not too much wear and tear on the body. Bell got a lot of carries last season but he only started two years at Michigan State and just turned 21.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

For every Rodgers there is a Boller, Grossman, Leinart, Losman, Quinn, etc who slid and busted out.

It is more rare a guy who slides makes teams regret passing on him, than vice versa. We just usually pay attention to the rare cases and forget about the plethora of sliders who never become successful.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:49 PM
UnrealMachine

The more I read/watch about the Steelers' draft the more I like it (yes, I actually watched the coaches press conference on each player). I feel that there is a high probability that our first four picks are all impact players in the NFL within the next 2 years. I think all four become starters within that time as well (Wheaton is probably already a starter next and Jones & Bell will get regular playing time this season).

The last four picks are all high risk & potentially high reward players. Very possible that none of them end up having significant NFL careers, but the talent & physical skill sets are at least there and it was no accident that they ended up on the team. They had actually known about Nic Williams for a while now and the D-Line coach seems very pleased to be able to work and develop his natural skills into pro football skills. If at least one of these players ends up having a career along with the first four picks then it is an A+ draft.

Landry Jones is the biggest question mark (in terms of how much upside or downside he has), but from the Steelers point of view there was a lot of value to choose him where they did. The good news is that he was selected at a point in which he'll be the 3rd QB for quite a while and has a lot of time to develop. Not trying to single him out, but it will be much harder to gauge him than the other players and could stay that way for some time.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Went to the Ducks vs Yotes game last night with a group of people. I tend to wear a Pens jersey and usually get a comment or to, but last night was was fantastic. I was wearing my throwback Lemieux jersey on this occasion.

- Immediately after I walked in, a guy in the old blue jersey came up and gave me a high five, stating 'I thought I was gonna get my ass kicked in here!'
- At the beer stand, the lady joked that she was going to charge me $30 more for wearing my jersey.
- When going up the steps to my seat, a random girl started shouting 'GO PENS!' at me, so gave her a high-five.
- When in the bathroom, I got a comment about 'Lemieux being on the wrong coast', so just turned around and gave them a grinning thumbs up.

But none of those would match what happened after the game.

- We were waiting to cross the road outside the Honda center and I heard a car honking behind me. I ignored it for a bit as I just thought it was some guy honking for the Ducks or something, but he kept honking.

Eventually, I turned around to see what the deal was, and saw the guy still honking and waving out of his window with music blaring. Then I looked a little closer and saw he had a Pens logo emblazoned across the ENTIRE HOOD of his car. I duly acknowledged the awesomeness and he drove off honking. A guy with a Pens car in the middle of OC? Entirely random!

THAT is why I enjoy wearing a Pens jersey to the Honda Center when I go there. I love it.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:20 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I think Jones and Bell wind up starting this season. Wheaton will be a question mark depending on how well Plax, Brown and Sanders play

Old
04-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Golic talking about his son signing with the Steelers on Mike and Mike. He has the Steelers helmet on the desk next to the Notre Dame helmet and he waived the terrible towel.

Last edited by Captain Hook: 04-29-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 05:45 AM
sniugneP

A lot of teams passed on Lacy until Green Bay finally picked him in late second round. Green Bay also picked Jonathan Franklin in 4th round in case Lacy doesn't work out.

I actually like Bell more right now. Initially, I didn't like this pick but now I understand why Steelers picked him. I think he will do better than Mendy. Bell has high character so he is not going to do stupid things like Mendy did.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:49 AM
JTG

I wanted to tune in for that. I figured he'd be ecstatic.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:42 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
So, Tebow was cut.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:44 AM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotte View Post
Went to the Ducks vs Yotes game last night with a group of people. I tend to wear a Pens jersey and usually get a comment or to, but last night was was fantastic. I was wearing my throwback Lemieux jersey on this occasion.

- Immediately after I walked in, a guy in the old blue jersey came up and gave me a high five, stating 'I thought I was gonna get my ass kicked in here!'
- At the beer stand, the lady joked that she was going to charge me $30 more for wearing my jersey.
- When going up the steps to my seat, a random girl started shouting 'GO PENS!' at me, so gave her a high-five.
- When in the bathroom, I got a comment about 'Lemieux being on the wrong coast', so just turned around and gave them a grinning thumbs up.

But none of those would match what happened after the game.

- We were waiting to cross the road outside the Honda center and I heard a car honking behind me. I ignored it for a bit as I just thought it was some guy honking for the Ducks or something, but he kept honking.

Eventually, I turned around to see what the deal was, and saw the guy still honking and waving out of his window with music blaring. Then I looked a little closer and saw he had a Pens logo emblazoned across the ENTIRE HOOD of his car. I duly acknowledged the awesomeness and he drove off honking. A guy with a Pens car in the middle of OC? Entirely random!

THAT is why I enjoy wearing a Pens jersey to the Honda Center when I go there. I love it.
Good stuff. Very cool.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:26 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
So, Tebow was cut.
Not surprised. Jets had 6 QBs on roster. They had to get rid of one for now.

I think he will sign with Jax or Pats. Belicihick liked him a lot.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:20 PM
JTG

If Tebow would just switch positions, he could be a good football player. He wants to be a QB though. Seems like at this point in time, he's cutting his nose off just to spite his face.

Become an h-back/TE, and become much more valuable instantly.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:18 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If Tebow would just switch positions, he could be a good football player. He wants to be a QB though. Seems like at this point in time, he's cutting his nose off just to spite his face.

Become an h-back/TE, and become much more valuable instantly.
Agreed. He had some success at Denver so that's why he refused to play in other positions. He feels he can find some success as QB again if he can find a team.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:53 PM
JTG

He could make more money, play more downs, and have more job security if he just switched his position. I just think he as a very stubborn, short sighted, and incorrect view of what he is and what he could become.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:18 PM
WickedWrister

Yeah but I feel like once you change positions, you can't really go back. I'm all for him trying to win a job in training camp somewhere.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:24 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

I'm not saying Tebow is a great or even good quarterback, but he's gotta be better than half of the league's backups. And I'd rather have him starting than bums like Blaine Gabbert and John Skelton. I can't believe Jacksonville wouldn't even sign him.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:12 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

No Mike Wallace discussion?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/dol...d-assho,32252/

Quote:
“I’m really proud of Mike for coming out and openly admitting he’s a complete ****ing *******,” said Wallace’s former Pittsburgh Steelers teammate Troy Polamalu after the Dolphins receiver posted on Twitter announcing that he is and has always been an insensitive, ignorant ****.
What a huge loss

Edited to clarify that the quote is from The Onion and obviously fake. Real tweets though.

Last edited by bathroomSTAAL: 04-29-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Iggy Smalls

Wallace drops the ball before he even suits up for the Dolphins.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Smalls View Post
Wallace drops the ball before he even suits up for the Dolphins.
Well played!

Old
04-29-2013, 08:32 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Just reminds me why I never get attached to football players. 80% of the league are either thugs, ****** bags, hicks, morons or a combination of two or more.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
chuppa chupp
star gazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Just reminds me why I never get attached to football players. 80% of the league are either thugs, ****** bags, hicks, morons or a combination of two or more.
It's hard to relate to them because the majority of them have 5th grade educations and the mindset of a 16 year old kid who just won the lottery.

The NFL has fallen to a distant 3rd behind the NHL and college football as my favorite sport, and it might sink even lower in the next year or two. My interest level in it has nosedived a ton.

Closed Thread