HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Pathetic Steelers

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
Well, the offense at least looks more competent than it did against Washington. Pass protection has still been suspect.

Old
08-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Al Smith

Doesn't look like the new special teams coach's tactics have taken hold yet. sheesh.

Old
08-24-2013, 09:18 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
Doesn't look like the new special teams coach's tactics have taken hold yet. sheesh.
i know it's REALLY early yet, but i've seen the same exact problems from this team on ST plays so i really question what kind of pull this ST coach actually has. doesn't seem like he brought anything to the table.

just as i type this, Jones intercepts a pass but it's called pass interference and he got roughed up on the play as he returned it. just what they need: their top draft selection getting injured in a meaningless game.

Old
08-24-2013, 09:35 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Steelers are about to give up a late score. i'd consider them lucky to just force a field goal. they're not going to force a turnover this late.

Old
08-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I might need to look into that madden. it'll be cheaper than going to bars to watch the games
Madden with the Sunday Ticket package would cost about the same as seeing 2 games at a bar here would...so that's a no-brainer for me.

It'll be nice not having to worry about feeds getting shut down this year.

Game ends in a loss, but I don't give a rat's ass about the third teamers losing a close game in OT.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
08-25-2013, 12:58 PM
invictus

I am intrigued by this Madden package. I don't play video games. I should find someone who wants the game itself. I'll sell it to them for like $20 and get Sunday Ticket for $80. hmmm. Are there any weird blackouts one has to worry abut with Sunday Ticket like there are with GCL?

Old
08-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
the football offseason seems to have completely passed me by - i don't know how or why my interest fell off, all i know is that Wallace / Harrison left and that Alex Smith / Andy Reid have taken their 'talents' to the south bank of the Missouri River.

i have my first draft in two hours.

Old
08-26-2013, 06:15 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Madden with the Sunday Ticket package would cost about the same as seeing 2 games at a bar here would...so that's a no-brainer for me.

It'll be nice not having to worry about feeds getting shut down this year.

Game ends in a loss, but I don't give a rat's ass about the third teamers losing a close game in OT.
ordered Madden (w/ the Ticket) for $100 through Amazon and I don't even have a Xbox to play the game

Old
08-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
ordered Madden (w/ the Ticket) for $100 through Amazon and I don't even have a Xbox to play the game

It's an amazing way to set a sales record, that's for sure.

If not for the package I probably would have either skipped this version or caved at the PS4 release since the only launch game I really have any interest in is FIFA...same reason I wound up getting NBA 2k13 last year for the Wii U - my first basketball game since NBA Live 98 for the Genesis

Any thoughts on the cuts? The two vets cut are bittersweet...for as hard as it is to root for many of the guys on the team, Barron Batch was one of the actual 'good guys'...but he ****ing sucked and I'm glad he's gone. Stevenson Sylvester was a guy I thought would have Farrior's old job locked up by now, but he just could never stay healthy.

I do have to laugh at the obviousness of DeMarcus Van Dyke's cutting, though...the Steelers gave his jersey number to Felix Jones

Old
08-28-2013, 08:20 PM
JTG

Sly getting cut wasn't shocking to me, but it was sort of...dissapointing(?). I thought he had some real potential. Big tackling machine in college, played really well here early on in his career. Injuries and inconsistency. He'll catch on somewhere else. Wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed in a different scenario either. He may have just needed a change.

From everything I'm reading, Worilds is probably going to start over Jones. He's been taking all 1st team reps in training camp. This is do or die for him. No one is standing in his way. One of two things are going to happen with him, I think. Epic failure, or he's just going to blow up on the scene. Not sure he has it in him to be that 5-7 sacks, 50-60 tackles per season type of guy.

Felix Jones pickup may be a little unsung. He'll do really well under Haley

Old
08-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Sly getting cut wasn't shocking to me, but it was sort of...dissapointing(?). I thought he had some real potential. Big tackling machine in college, played really well here early on in his career. Injuries and inconsistency. He'll catch on somewhere else. Wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed in a different scenario either. He may have just needed a change.

From everything I'm reading, Worilds is probably going to start over Jones. He's been taking all 1st team reps in training camp. This is do or die for him. No one is standing in his way. One of two things are going to happen with him, I think. Epic failure, or he's just going to blow up on the scene. Not sure he has it in him to be that 5-7 sacks, 50-60 tackles per season type of guy.

Felix Jones pickup may be a little unsung. He'll do really well under Haley
If true, that's disappointing. Worlids has shown he's at best a backup in the NFL. Jones has already outplayed him in the preseason.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:34 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
If true, that's disappointing. Worlids has shown he's at best a backup in the NFL. Jones has already outplayed him in the preseason.
I sort of hope he starts out the season. That way we know what we have. If he fails...Jones is the man, and we'll never go back to Worilds. If Worilds succeeds, and Woodley remains ****...get rid of Woodley, get much needed cap space, shift the LB's around, and let things roll.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I sort of hope he starts out the season. That way we know what we have. If he fails...Jones is the man, and we'll never go back to Worilds. If Worilds succeeds, and Woodley remains ****...get rid of Woodley, get much needed cap space, shift the LB's around, and let things roll.
Worlids has had a few seasons to get his act together and he hasn't done it. At this point, there's really no reason to hold out hope for him.

The Steelers like to say that rookies have to "earn it." Okay, well it looks like Jarvis Jones has been earning it during the preseason. Also, after 4 seasons, what has Worlids earned to be the starter?

Old
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think we'll see a true starter at OLB to start out. I think we'll see a rotation. Jarvis Jones and Jason Worilds will likely split time and whoever plays better will earn more of the playing time as the season goes.

I think the outstanding quality of Jarvis so far is that he's always around the ball and that speaks to having great instincts, imo. He still needs to develop quite a bit as a pass rusher but I think he'll get there.

Old
08-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of heading down your way during the first week of October if the Pirates play. I've been to Pittsburgh once to see a Pens game but I was in high school and don't remember much. I think I stayed at like a Holiday Inn or something but it wasn't downtown but we had a rental car.

I'd be coming down with Mrs.Penguins23 and I'd like to stay somewhere downtown because I don't want to rent a car. I'm looking to make this as inexpensive as possible because we just got back from a trip and we're getting married next year but I really want to see the Pirates play a game in October. I'd be catching a Penguins game as well but I don't want to make the trip solely for the Penguins game so if the Pirates don't play during the first week of October I won't be going. Even if the Pirates win the division, I could get screwed if they don't have home field advantage and they start on the road.

So basically I'm looking for suggestions for a decent hotel downtown? I can only book it now if they have a lenient cancellation policy. Once we get closer to seeing if it's going to be a reality, we'll worry about places to visit and stuff at that time.

Thanks guys.

Pittsburgher at heart,

Alex

08-29-2013, 05:06 PM
JTG

Quote:
Worlids has had a few seasons to get his act together and he hasn't done it. At this point, there's really no reason to hold out hope for him.

The Steelers like to say that rookies have to "earn it." Okay, well it looks like Jarvis Jones has been earning it during the preseason. Also, after 4 seasons, what has Worlids earned to be the starter?
He really hasn't had a chance. And the chances he did get, I think he's put up some pretty decent stats.

I'd like to see him be a starter before we say he's no good.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of heading down your way during the first week of October if the Pirates play. I've been to Pittsburgh once to see a Pens game but I was in high school and don't remember much. I think I stayed at like a Holiday Inn or something but it wasn't downtown but we had a rental car.

I'd be coming down with Mrs.Penguins23 and I'd like to stay somewhere downtown because I don't want to rent a car. I'm looking to make this as inexpensive as possible because we just got back from a trip and we're getting married next year but I really want to see the Pirates play a game in October. I'd be catching a Penguins game as well but I don't want to make the trip solely for the Penguins game so if the Pirates don't play during the first week of October I won't be going. Even if the Pirates win the division, I could get screwed if they don't have home field advantage and they start on the road.

So basically I'm looking for suggestions for a decent hotel downtown? I can only book it now if they have a lenient cancellation policy. Once we get closer to seeing if it's going to be a reality, we'll worry about places to visit and stuff at that time.

Thanks guys.

Pittsburgher at heart,

Alex

For downtown I've stayed at both the Westin Convention Centre and the Wyndham Grand. The Wyndham should be less expensive and is a quicker walk to PNC park across the bridge than what Westin would be. Also, and this may seem odd, but right around the corner from the Wyndham Grand on Penn Ave there is a restaurant named the "Gateway Cafe" on the metro line that actually makes a good omlette on the cheap.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguins23 View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks guys.

Pittsburgher at heart,

Alex
I can't vouch for quality as I've never stayed in a hotel here, but I do know many places in the city offer shuttles. I wouldn't limit my search to just immediately around consol for this reason. Unless you like filth, blight, and drunk college students, stay away from south side and Oakland.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Sivek

I can't think of a team I've spent any sort of attention on as unlikable as the current version (as in the last couple of years or so) of the Steelers. I know most of it is a football culture thing, but I can't recall being as indifferent to them as I am this year. Had the game on as background noise and between the crew talking about Clark complaining per usual and the Foote "#1 defense (according the archaic measures the NFL uses in determining it's defensive rankings) last year, blah, blah, blah, etc" sideline interview, I realize that I care very little about this season and worse (or better), I don't feel like I'm missing out anything. Football at basically every level has fostered such a terrible culture surrounding it that I'm not far off from the point of tuning it out completely. Most not be the only one with the paucity of posts in this thread concerning them. Even sports fans in real life I know seem less interested than ever. Almost makes me wonder if the NFL is on the breaking point where revenue is going to plateau after skyrocketing forever.

On a more game-oriented note, Landry Jones has looked pretty damn terrible this preseason. Was never impressed when I caught him at the NCAA level and he hasn't shown me much to think differently since. Guy Whimper is just terrible and I can't believe a player of his quality is a roster lock considering he was garbage for a terrible team last year. Might as well go with some undrafted young guy than a bad, older journeyman.

Last edited by Sivek: 08-29-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old
08-29-2013, 09:41 PM
SteelFish87

Quote:
r?
You do know Worilds is only 25 right? He has potential and hasn't really had a few seasons like u say. I'm not ready to give up on him yet but Jones is a beast and needs to see action

Old
08-30-2013, 03:12 AM
wheelz87
Orpik. Team USA lock

^^ To Sivek

Watch a Pennsylvania high school football game. Will make you love the game again. I go every Friday, is the best in terms of actual and pure football. They hit hard and play tough D. Big hit? Don't worry about it, a flag will come if necessary, but no phantom 'defenseless receiver' or whatever bs is called. (I'm not old, but I am old school.. give me 3 yards and a cloud of dust all day baby.. I love seeing the 'tougher' teams win as well as appreciating a good defense)

Old
08-30-2013, 03:36 AM
Big McLargehuge
No Hope

It truly is a sight to behold when a guy literally throws his entire career away on a single punt return. Poor Reggie Dunn, that failure will forever be etched in my memory.

Rather than going the safe route (which, admittedly, would do little for him), he tried to return a punt at the 2 in a 10-point game in the 4th and...yeah...he runs into a safety. Dunn wasn't going to make the team to begin with, but that killed any chance he had of catching on with anyone else. Poor idiot.

Old
08-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Shockmaster

Peter King of SI predicts that the Steelers will go 7-9 in 2013. Keep in mind he predicted the Steelers would go 8-8 in 2012.

Old
08-30-2013, 11:40 AM
SteelFish87

Quote:
Peter King of SI predicts that the Steelers will go 7-9 in 2013.
That's my prediction as well.

We need to clean house in the coaching department but unfortunately that probably won't happen so be prepared for several mediocre years

Old
08-30-2013, 11:53 AM
bradshaw06

this team is in trouble. When Ben gets hurt things are going to fall apart pretty quick.

Closed Thread