HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#48 -- It's Over

Old
04-27-2013, 08:14 AM
Dreakon13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royisgone View Post
They announced our 3 shooters for the shootout, and especially with Hecht's name on the list, I thought: "Hmmm. A swan song for all 3?"
It seemed fitting that Vanek (only scorer) and Miller (stopping all chances) are the reasons we won the shootout...

Dreakon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
What a garbage season.

Glad it's over, but also glad that we finally had the catalyst to move on from the old core. Now let's hope the phoenix will rise.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:

04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Grigorenko displayed everything that makes him the top prospect he is. He was using his size to power to the net, he carried the puck with confidence, his feet were moving, he was engaged in all three zones - it really makes you believe he has the talent to be an impact player.
Can someone elaborate on jBuds analysis of Grigs' game? I missed it, and would like to know more.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Can someone elaborate on jBuds analysis of Grigs' game? I missed it, and would like to know more.

He was moving his feet and getting to positions to make plays, competing for pucks when he got there and generally had a lot of opportunities. I think he had 6 shots on goal for the game.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Dixon Ward
Fire SOMEONE

thank god it's over. time to hit the reset button.

Dixon Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
He was faster, less tentative, had good chances, hit a post. It was quite a difference from his earlier stint.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:53 AM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
6 shots, 2 missed the net and 1 hit the post where he had Nabokov beat in 14:34 of ice time.

He won puck battles, he was skating well, making nice crisp passes with no hesitation, actually drove the net twice I believe to create scoring opportunities, it felt like he could make something happen whenever he was on the ice, he had confidence. His play has been leaps and bounds better since coming back from the QMJHL. It was his first game where he really showed what he may be down the road.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:26 AM
sabresandcanucks

No pressure will do that....hopefully his swagger will stay when he goes down to Roch.

I really hope they don't rush this kid...I look and Brumistrov in Winnipeg and worry about bringing up Grigs too soon. If he cannot nail down a top 6 position out of camp next year I'd rather he go back to junior.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:43 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
No pressure will do that....hopefully his swagger will stay when he goes down to Roch.

I really hope they don't rush this kid...I look and Brumistrov in Winnipeg and worry about bringing up Grigs too soon. If he cannot nail down a top 6 position out of camp next year I'd rather he go back to junior.
Is AHL a no-go for Grigs next year too?

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:49 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I am 99% he cannot play in the AHL next year...until maybe late in the season if his junior club is eliminated from the playoffs or does not qualify for the playoffs.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
"Craigs on it"

WPG did not ruin Burmistrov, his attitude is the biggest problem with him by all accounts, apparently he is not a coachable player and wants to do things his way.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:03 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Burmistrov is also said to have attitude problems though, and is rumored to be very difficult to coach. I don't think his lack of progression in the NHL is the result of him being rushed.

Grigs showed us a glimpse of the player he could become for us yesterday. If he works hard this summer and shows that effort again in camp, I don't see why we should send him down. Most rookies, especially that young, are going to start out in a sheltered 3rd line role. It's not going to hinder his development if that's where he starts.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:10 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Burmistrov is also said to have attitude problems though, and is rumored to be very difficult to coach. I don't think his lack of progression in the NHL is the result of him being rushed.

Grigs showed us a glimpse of the player he could become for us yesterday. If he works hard this summer and shows that effort again in camp, I don't see why we should send him down. Most rookies, especially that young, are going to start out in a sheltered 3rd line role. It's not going to hinder his development if that's where he starts.
Time will tell,

I think you foster potential character issues when you stick an offensively gifted but physically/mentally immature player on the 3rd or 4th line. It would be better to let him light it up as a top line player in another league in my view. But this is obviously not universal and has to be judged on a case by case basis. Personally, I don't think Grigs would develop well unless he was part of the top 6.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Daz28

vCash: 450
Quote:
I am 99% he cannot play in the AHL next year...until maybe late in the season if his junior club is eliminated from the playoffs or does not qualify for the playoffs.
Ya, I'm pretty sure it has to be that his 20th birthday is in the calendar year when the season starts, which his won't be. IOW, if he was 19, and his b-day was before 12/31 it's ok, but his b-day isn't until May, I think.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:41 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

vCash: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
WPG did not ruin Burmistrov, his attitude is the biggest problem with him by all accounts, apparently he is not a coachable player and wants to do things his way.
This is a much bigger problem than anyone who isn't "ready" or got "ruined" by a team.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:08 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He was moving his feet and getting to positions to make plays, competing for pucks when he got there and generally had a lot of opportunities. I think he had 6 shots on goal for the game.
Interesting. It's a shame that he figured it out so late in the season. I wonder what caused the change in play. A sit down with the coaching staff? His own will?

Old
04-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Bobby Bottle Service

Glad to hear grigs played well. Going to see him play for the amerks in less than an hour.

Miller definitely looked like he was saying goodbye.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:24 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Interesting. It's a shame that he figured it out so late in the season. I wonder what caused the change in play. A sit down with the coaching staff? His own will?
time, experience, maturity, confidence

not every 18 year old can adjust like Jeff Skinner

Old
04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
captaincrunch89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Bottle Service View Post
Glad to hear grigs played well. Going to see him play for the amerks in less than an hour.

Miller definitely looked like he was saying goodbye.
Sadly no you aren't not playing game 1, which makes sense, give him a couple days to acclimate to the team.

captaincrunch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 03:00 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
time, experience, maturity, confidence

not every 18 year old can adjust like Jeff Skinner
I understand that. I'm talking more about his willingness to compete in puck/board battles, which was lacking pretty much all season. This sort of came out of nowhere.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:49 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I understand that. I'm talking more about his willingness to compete in puck/board battles, which was lacking pretty much all season. This sort of came out of nowhere.
Who knows? Maybe getting sent down pissed him off and he came back hungrier to earn an NHL roster spot. Maybe he just needed to play some easier competition and pick up some points to get his confidence going. Maybe the coaching staff did something with him. Whatever it was, I just hope it sticks and he comes to camp ready for the NHL next year.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
He can';t because CHL has exclusivity until they are 20. Its either NHL or CHL.

He can play for Rochester in the playoffs once CHL team is eliminated.

He needs to be able to play on the top 2 lines next year and just let him play.

I honestly think the CHL is useless to him.

I dont want him riding the bench on a 4th line. If that is the case I would rather loan him to a european/KHL team for the season.

If Buffalo was to draft a european forward with one of their picks Id look to loan him to that team and have him play with that player.

II feel 1st and 2nd round picks should be the team options if the do AHL or CHL.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 05:00 PM
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL

vCash: 919
In the post game interviews Miller sounds depressed.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:09 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
In the post game interviews Miller sounds depressed.
I wouldn't read too much into that. Could just be disappointment in not making the playoffs.