HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Drive Obituary Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 12:32 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Congratulations on a great season!

Hey Blue Jackets fans, Sens fan here.

I just wanted to congratulate your team on a great season. Before the season, and after the Nash trade, many (really, most) people, myself included, had written you off as destined to be in the cellar this season. But you pleasantly surprised me, and earned a lot of respect from me for how you competed, much like my Sens have this year. I was really rooting for you guys to get into the playoffs, much like I did for the Devils a couple of years ago when they had that great run and almost went from the cellar to the playoffs.

Take heart, I'm betting that you guys are in the playoffs next year. Though be careful, because teams will be up for you next year, and now know that you are a good team.

Cheers!

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
delete

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:43 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Well, this is an interesting take:
Did a completely bizarre overturned goal cost the Columbus Blue Jackets a playoff spot?
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...ff-spot/13031/

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Did a completely bizarre overturned goal cost the Columbus Blue Jackets a playoff spot?
Good thing we have about 5 bizarre overturned goals to choose from, any of which would apply.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Yeah...I had no idea about that until this morning.

Honestly, the playoffs would have been awesome. But ending the season like this isn't so bad. A great opportunity to build for something better next season without the possiblity of getting swept by the Hawks.

Kind of like OSU going undefeated but not getting to play for the NC. They would have gotten beat by 50 points by Alabama, but in their minds they were right there and can keep the momentum going forward over the offseason.

The playoffs would have been awesome though....

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I mentioned it on game night and even Captain tweeted it to many followers.... It was close, but in the end we could have prevented any interests in that play had we made a few ourselves during the course of the season....

It's over, time to move on.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I got home game 1 and home game 3 playoff tickets in the mail today. Talk about a depressing sight.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Ar-too

vCash: 750
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
An obituary thread seems like the right place for a confession

I was a fair-weather fan this season. At 5-12-2 or whatever it was, I threw in the towel on this team.

What a mistake!

When they started turning things around, I assumed it was because I had quit on them and so I lurked here, but never posted. I never actually watched a single game they played in. I just assumed they were too far gone. But for them to finish 19-5-5 is astonishingly awesome. To win 5 of 6 road games and 6 of their last 7 overall to finish just 1 point shy and tied with the team that turned out to be the 8th seed has me as excited for next season as I've ever been. I'm not going to every game next year, and I won't likely be able to watch every game, but I'll do what I can.

Let's go Jackets!

Ar-too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
I was a fair-weather fan this season. At 5-12-2 or whatever it was, I threw in the towel on this team.

What a mistake!

When they started turning things around, I assumed it was because I had quit on them and so I lurked here, but never posted. I never actually watched a single game they played in. I just assumed they were too far gone. But for them to finish 19-5-5 is astonishingly awesome. To win 5 of 6 road games and 6 of their last 7 overall to finish just 1 point shy and tied with the team that turned out to be the 8th seed has me as excited for next season as I've ever been. I'm not going to every game next year, and I won't likely be able to watch every game, but I'll do what I can.

Let's go Jackets!
Haha. The first thing I thought when I saw you were the most recent poster in this thread, before I opend it, was to than yoou for not showing up during the run an jinxing it. It would have been a joke, poking a little fun. Anyway, that's what I was thinking.

This team has restored a lot of faith.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:39 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Now that the playoffs are gone
and the season has passed
I hope they bury this thread upside down...
(you know the rest)

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:58 AM
blahblah

Normally my opinions change as the emotions wear off, however I feel exactly like I did on Saturday night. It's unfortunate, but the West isn't being represented with it's best teams.

I still despise the same teams and I don't think that is going to change. I would like to call it a rivalry, but the Kings don't even deserve that level of respect. The Mild should be ashamed of themselves. What a pathetic performance they had down the stretch. They leaned on their good start when the games didn't mean anything. What a terrible third period they had with their season on the line. They did what they set out to do, buy their way into the playoffs. They have the chance to redeem themselves.

We can say this season was all Bob. But how many times did we score that big third period or OT goal? Yeah, Bob was necessary but it wouldn't have mattered without those clutch plays. Without those big goals, we would just have had a top 8 pick with a losing goalie with great stats.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Normally my opinions change as the emotions wear off, however I feel exactly like I did on Saturday night. It's unfortunate, but the West isn't being represented with it's best teams.

I still despise the same teams and I don't think that is going to change. I would like to call it a rivalry, but the Kings don't even deserve that level of respect. The Mild should be ashamed of themselves. What a pathetic performance they had down the stretch. They leaned on their good start when the games didn't mean anything. What a terrible third period they had with their season on the line. They did what they set out to do, buy their way into the playoffs. They have the chance to redeem themselves.

We can say this season was all Bob. But how many times did we score that big third period or OT goal? Yeah, Bob was necessary but it wouldn't have mattered without those clutch plays. Without those big goals, we would just have had a top 8 pick with a losing goalie with great stats.

About the only truly anemic part of the CBJ was the PP. Had they even been at or just over the league average, but there are always what if's in a postmortem.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:02 AM
pete goegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
...We can say this season was all Bob. But how many times did we score that big third period or OT goal? Yeah, Bob was necessary but it wouldn't have mattered without those clutch plays. Without those big goals, we would just have had a top 8 pick with a losing goalie with great stats.
Never in any previous season was I as confident that a one or two goal deficit could be overcome, not even the playoff season. I almost always felt that Bob would keep the game within reach and the team would at least make a strong run at the win. Used to be one goal down in the first and the game was virtually over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
About the only truly anemic part of the CBJ was the PP. Had they even been at or just over the league average, but there are always what if's in a postmortem.
And even the power play looked better in the final weeks!

I'm not quite as confident as some that all our questions on defense have been answered, but there's no question that it was much improved. I see potential for improvement in the offense from what is already here - further development of Johansen, Calvert, Atkinson, and the young defensemen; return to health and form by Dubi, Gaborik, and Anisimov; etc. - and expect the addition of scoring ability either through trade or free agent acquisition. Even if Bob, Vinny, and Letestu are not quite as productive as this season, there is much good to anticipate for next year and the seasons after!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

"Who are you going to root for in the playoffs?"

My kids asked me that last night. Its the same question we've asked each other every April. I usually have a couple Western teams I pull for. I can honestly say I can't stomach the thought of rooting for a Western team this year. We are better now than half of those teams. We should be in the playoffs. We have the best chance of knocking off CHI, and any honest fan knows its true.

I love the team, and I thank them for an incredible season, but I'm hungry for more and will have to sit and wait 5 long months until I get to see them on the ice again.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
pete goegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I suppose there are several teams I'll want to see lose, but nobody I'm really for. I'll just be watching because playoff hockey, no matter what teams are involved, is the best of what I love about sports.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I suppose there are several teams I'll want to see lose, but nobody I'm really for. I'll just be watching because playoff hockey, no matter what teams are involved, is the best of what I love about sports.
I do enjoy watching the Easter Canadian teams reemerge and hope to see one of those three in the finals.

Last edited by Nordique: 04-30-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
blahblah

Quote:
As I said somewhere else, Chicago and the Blues in the West. I could even go for SJ. In the East, Caps and Islanders. I don't mind the Sens, Bruins, or even Leafs winning.

Always been a Bruins fan, so that isn't hard. Blue Jackets first, Bruins second. Now that I'm going to the East, I can safely start supporting the Hawks again.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I do enjoy watching the Easter Canadian teams reemerge and hope one of those three in the finals.
Normally I would say hell no, but they were far more gracious as fans this season. Well other than Montreal. They are around #6 on my most despised list.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:44 PM
blahblah

Last month of the season for the Clutch Jackets. If we scored 2 or more goals we won. Dubinsky, 11 points in 10 games, a sub 18 minute prod, won 61% 8 different players with a GWG, no one with more than 1. Prout actually score 5 points to go along with that insane +7. Tyutin with a +11. AA was the only minus player. Bob 9-3 with a 1.73 GAA and .941 SV%.

3 stars for April:

1. Bob
2. Dubi
3. Tyutin

Atkinson was #4

Old
04-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Hawks, Montreal, Bruins... and perhaps the Rangers...

Old
04-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Byrral

I posted this in another thread but see it discussed here. I'm going to get on the Blues train. I like their gritty game and they have really been the only team we had a somewhat rivalry with. Plus we aren't in their division any more so I don't have to hate them anymore. So Go Blues!

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Islanders for me.

Also, from a strictly draft position standpoint, the ideal scenario would be the Islanders and Senators making it to the ECF, with Minnesota and Detroit in the WCF. That'd make the three 1st-rounders picks #14, 15, and 20.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:02 PM
db2011

Blues and Isles for me

db2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Islanders for me.

Also, from a strictly draft position standpoint, the ideal scenario would be the Islanders and Senators making it to the ECF, with Minnesota and Detroit in the WCF. That'd make the three 1st-rounders picks #14, 15, and 20.
Habs for me (old habits die hard).

Not to nitpick, but if the Isles, Sens, Wild and Wings make it through, I believe we have #14, #15 and #18 in the draft. That would be pretty cool.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Columbus Mike
2015-16 CBJ

vCash: 3700
I'm not on any bandwagon. I do want the Kings, Red Wings, and Rangers to lose ASAP. I guess that means I'm on the bandwagon of 13 teams.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote