HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXII: Rumours start to heat up.

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 02:47 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXII: Rumours start to heat up.

Last thread passed 1000.

A few posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i think the grey area is that you cant buy out a player that wasnt on your roster when the new CBA was signed? im not sure though maybe you can. the habs had gomez on the roster when they bought him out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Right. I meant the compliance cap relief buy outs.
Forgot about the previous CBA examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
If we are to contend for playoffs:

Hall - x - Eberle
x - RNH - Yakupov
Paajarvi - x - x
x - x - Brown

Smid - Petry
x - J.Schultz
x - Belov

x
Dubnyk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Good lord people, You Luongo fans are crazy. I agree with Beerfish, the risk on Luongo is HUGE. especially with the young stars on the Oilers lineup all will probably be demanding salary increases later in their careers.

How will you feel if the Oilers have to trade away Yakupov because they can't get rid of Luongo?

Luo's contract will run to 2012. Say he has 3-4 more good years, which is plausible as he's 34 now and will be 38 then. In 2016, he will have SIX more years on his contract. How many years do you want to pay a 39 year old back up goaltender 5.3 million cap hit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Nope. http://capgeek.com/player/683

Stays the same. That contract is a non-starter and why he has not been traded already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
lol who is going to take on the contract at all ....even for free?

Buy out? Hey mr katz, we want you to pay a huge amount of money on a buyout. We don't know if there will be real buy outs or not.

It's crazy, people blinded with short term success over a potentially crippling contract. How much better is snyder than dubnyk? The nucks are desperate to get rid of this contract. I hope we don;t fall for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=19

Still a massive hit even a few years from now. Pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
They are probaly asking to much, reports were they were asking for 2 2nds.

In 3 years if he is still playing decent you could probaly deal him for a 7th.

Even if not, I dont care if we bring him on, only to buy him out in 4 years. It doesnt hurt the teams cap and ability to sign other players (excpet for the years in which hes playing, and those years help us)

It only affects Katz and his money. If he doesnt want to pay that for the buy out I accept that, its his money after all, and its alot of coin.

But if he wants to make the Oilers better at the price of giving up money than trading for Lu would be an option. I also dont believe hell be bought out, he will be dealt this summer at some point. If even for a 5th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
Dubnyk and both seconds for Luongo and Edler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
Id try and fill these holes by < top to bottom. Left to right for each x>
Berglund/vermette
Bickell
Zack smith
Stalberg
Torress
Gordon
Scuderi
Ferrance

Soooooo
Hall berglund/vermette ebs
Bickel nuge yak
Prv smith stalberg
Torres Gordon brown

Scuderi Shultz
Smid petry
Ferrance belov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
The other option for Vancouver, unlikely as it may be, is to simply kiss and make up with Luongo, re-anoint him as their undisputed #1 guy, and trade Schneider instead. They certainly would get much more of a return that way.

It's not a great solution as Luongo's contract still sucks and will suck for a long time, but they may end up deciding that it's the best of a terrible bunch of choices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Meh I see him playing at a high level for at least 4-5 more years. I think his contract would be very tradeable by the end of the 2018-19 season as his actual salary is only 1.6M. If he was traded to a cap floor team and they buy him out in 2019 they'll only have to pay him 2.4M roughly to take up roughly 13.5M in cap space over the next 3 years. And worst come to worst Edmonton could agree to pitch on some of the salary making him an even more affordable option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m
The 5 teams I believe are in the mix, to varying degrees, on Jonathan Bernier: Florida, Minny, Philly, Tor and NYI...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
If Luongo is bought out, I'd be interested in signing him. But having any part of that contract is a disaster waiting to happen. 9 more years of that is just too big of a risk, I can't imagine buying him out and having to deal with the effects of that until 2031.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:51 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 3m
Mike Chambers says Sakic called the Denver Post to say the Avs aren't drafting Jones #1.

Mr.Sakic really went out of his way on this one.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

A few things on Luongo:

- In 2016/17 the cap may be 75M+ or getting close to it.
- After he's 39 the salary drops to 3.3, then 1.6 then two years at 1. That contract might be of use to a team trying to reach the cap floor. Or he may just retire for those years and we incur a minimal cap penalty.
- He's an immediate upgrade in net and solidifies a vital position for a team with a very young core.

Old
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
The other option for Vancouver, unlikely as it may be, is to simply kiss and make up with Luongo, re-anoint him as their undisputed #1 guy, and trade Schneider instead. They certainly would get much more of a return that way.

It's not a great solution as Luongo's contract still sucks and will suck for a long time, but they may end up deciding that it's the best of a terrible bunch of choices.
Nothing simple about it. It would have to be a big big kiss. But certainly in the best interests of VAN from a asset management perspective.

The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
@Heavy Dee

That's the only way I'd take Luongo (and I like Luongo)

Old
06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Here's a lineup I wouldn't mind, even though it is kinda old, it's made up of mostly signed guys and 2 trades (Horcoff for Havlat and Hemsky, Belanger for Picks/Prospects):

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($3.775m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
Martin Havlat ($5.000m) / Sam Gagner ($4.500m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
Brenden Morrow ($3.000m) / Michal Handzus ($2.800m) / Ryan Smyth ($2.250m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($1.700m) / Boyd Gordon ($1.500m) / Mike Brown ($0.737m)
Jerred Smithson ($0.800m) /
Anton Lander ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Schultz ($3.775m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.200m)
Nick Schultz ($3.500m) / Jeff Petry ($1.750m)
Anton Belov ($1.525m) / Ladislav Smid ($3.500m)
Taylor Fedun ($0.772m) / Mark Fistric ($1.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
UFA GOALIE/GOALIE FROM TRADE W/ HEMSKY, BELANGER
OTHER
Buried: Ben Eager ($0.175m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,033,417; BONUSES: $9,150,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,089,083

Old
06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Nothing simple about it. It would have to be a big big kiss. But certainly in the best interests of VAN from a asset management perspective.
Biggest hurdle would be the fans. Are they going to be quiet when 2 weeks into the year Lou gets lit up for 5 goals against Edmonton or is it going to be "way to go Gillis kept the wrong guy and now we have to hope this guy from Europe can play".

Old
06-19-2013, 02:59 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Biggest hurdle would be the fans. Are they going to be quiet when 2 weeks into the year Lou gets lit up for 5 goals against Edmonton or is it going to be "way to go Gillis kept the wrong guy and now we have to hope this guy from Europe can play".
The fans are dumb. They always just blame the goalie. Schneider will be run out of town before you know it, and people will be claiming they kept the wrong goalie. They should just keep Luongo. It's what's best for the team. I don't see how it makes sense to keep the inferior goalie and trade the other for pennies on the dollar

06-19-2013, 02:59 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
OilersNow ‏@OilersNow 3m
Mike Chambers says Sakic called the Denver Post to say the Avs aren't drafting Jones #1.

Mr.Sakic really went out of his way on this one.
sounds like a prank call to me, how many gm's or high ranking team officials phone a local rag to tell them that?

Old
06-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Dangerdanger

LeBrun says he believes 5 teams in the mix on Bernier are Philly, Minny, NYI, Florida and Toronto.

Kind of glad it's not us, seems like he'll be expensive.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
sounds like a prank call to me, how many gm's or high ranking team officials phone a local rag to tell them that?
If it's a prank, why is TSN saying the exact same thing?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425825

Old
06-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
I think Patrick Roy has balls of steel.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:08 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky View Post
LeBrun says he believes 5 teams in the mix on Bernier are Philly, Minny, NYI, Florida and Toronto.

Kind of glad it's not us, seems like he'll be expensive.
Can't wait until Toronto offers their first

Old
06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Come on man they only do that for forwards. They'll trade one of their goalies to LA, said goalie turns into Rask and Bernier well we know what happens there.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Here's a lineup I wouldn't mind, even though it is kinda old, it's made up of mostly signed guys and 2 trades (Horcoff for Havlat and Hemsky, Belanger for Picks/Prospects):
I'm really not a fan of Havlat, especially if you're moving Pajaarvi to the 4th line and you're able to add Morrow. I actually think Horcoff would be of more value to the Oilers lineup any way, plus you'd be paying 4M less for Horcoff over the next 2 years.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Anton Lander ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
OTHER
------
That 3rd line would be slow for a beer league.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Anton Lander ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
OTHER
------
Morrow and Handzus added to the third line will not be a playoff team. Both in severe down trend in their career. And will not add secondary scoring which the bottom 6 lacked bad last year. big pass. That 3rd line might produce 8 goals all season awfull

Old
06-19-2013, 03:14 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
How hilarious would it be if they gave up their 1st, dealt Reimer, then Bernier couldn't play a full season and they gave up yet another lottery pick

Old
06-19-2013, 03:16 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Come on man they only do that for forwards. They'll trade one of their goalies to LA, said goalie turns into Rask and Bernier well we know what happens there.
I could see that. How they didn't offer a first for Phanny is about as baffling as the fact calgary didn't get one.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:21 PM
misfit

Luongo's cap hit isn't the problem. $5.3M for a goalie of his calibre is a bargain. He'll either be a bargain or market value for probably the next 4-5 years of the deal.

It's what happens after that which represents all the risk.

Obviously you are no longer able to burry a contract in the minors (I think you only gain something like $900K), so that loophole is closed.

A regular buyout beomes the only option after the 2014 offseason, and the length of his contract means you'd be carrying a "dead cap" value for an incredibly long period of time. If a team were to keep him for 4-5 years then buy him out in 2018, they would carry cap hits of 2.5/4.2/4.9/4.9/.6/.6/.6/.6 in the 8 seasons to follow.

If he retires or plays overseas, it's almost worse because of the "cap advantage recapture" portion of the new CBA. This is the biggest worry for me, and one area that not many people seem to know about. Basically, it states that if a player under contract is no longer playing during because of retirement/defection, any cap advantages from the earlier seasons will be applied to the team he was playing for in the following season.

So if we traded for Luongo this offseason and he retires at 40, both Edmonton and Vancouver would have fairly significant cap penalties in the 2020 season. I think Vancouver would lose just over $6M in cap space for that year, and we'd be around the same (rough math off the top of my head).

It looks to me like the Canucks' best option is to use a compliance buyout no matter what. If they can't trade him this year, their cap penalty is closer to $8M (I think).

06-19-2013, 03:24 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

How could anyone want Gilbert back... If he's in our top-4 we're ****ed, if he's in the bottom pairing with Schultz, we will be so damn soft... Puke material...

I'd be interested in Letang.. My only worry is that everytime we manage to get our hands on a high profile Dman, they usually want out within less than 2 years... So I guess I'm worried of giving up a 7th+MPS+whatever for him, even with an extension.

Otherwise, seems like Orpik could be had for a 2nd rounder and I'd jump on that too. I don't care if he's lost a step or what, he's a nasty hitter and at worst "he's a minutes eating dman" so that's good enough, gives us 3 players who are defensively sound and somewhat different in styles to pair with Belov/JSchultz/Petry in any combination that happens to work. And he's UFA in a year, so if he's that bad then let him go, will have provided Klefbom and Marincin with one more year of development anyway.

Then we also should offer Hemsky+ (Bunz or Roy perhaps? Jets have zero depth in goal last i checked) in a trade for Burmistrov who is better than MPS defensively, hits waaaay more and adds versatility in our players since he can play C if necessary. He still has good enough upside to possibly replace Gagner as 2C down the road, especially if the 7th goes into a Letang trade.

Another move I see possible is pushing for Brooks Laich out of the Caps, they need to re-sign Alzner and Johansson and also would like to keep Ribeiro, I think he could be available. Physical, good two-way game, can even take face-offs for Gagner. As a cap clearing move, I think sending them MPS could get it done.

Also seems like Moen is on the outs in MTL, I'd fetch him, good defense and physical player, who can hopefully push Smyth out of the lineup. Probably would only cost a 4th or 5th rounder, maybe even less if packaged with rights to Ryan Jones, who they seemed interested in signing.

As for post-buyout players, I would be mildly interested in Volchenkov as an extra, if only to help Belov ease into NA. Could be an interesting bottom pairing if it gels, but even as 7th dman it'd be fine. Not sure how much interest there would be in him league-wide, he's been pretty mediocre in recent years, but if for 1.5M or less, why not. We'll need more nasties in the new division.

Backup goalie I want is Greiss, and that's about it.

I like the idea of Cullen for 3C. Or perhaps Danius Zubrus would be ok too, though he's been mostly playing wings these days, then put Burmi as C, at least Zubrus knows how to take face-offs, can PK and has size, but Cullen is better in FO and offensively. Either way, get a proper vet in there at 3.5M or less I'd hope.

Another decent move we could make is swap Horcoff for David Jones now that COL moves away from our division. Looks like they are going to draft MacK after all, so IMO that would mean that Stastny is likely to be moved this off-season, I think they could get someone like Gardiner from center-desperate TO and bolster their blueline. Horcoff could ease in as 3C and if it doesn't work out, then they can amnesty buyout him for a fraction of what DJones would cost for a buyout. For us it gives us a big winger that can fit anywhere in the top-9.

I'd sign Chipchura (maybe PHX would trade rights to get back Belanger since they might lose a few Cs this offseason?) for the 4th line C, then try to have an extra C/W such as our own Smithson or Adam Hall or Brad Richardson, or Konopka who is apparently available.

So I guess my lineup would look like this, (omitting the unlikely Letang trade);
--------
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Laich - Gagner - Yakupov
Burmistrov - UFA (Cullen/Zubrus) - DJones
Moen/Smyth - UFA (Chipchura) - Brown
+ UFA C (Smithson/AHall/Konopka), Eager

Orpik - JSchultz
Smid - Petry
Belov - Schultz
Volchenkov/Potter

Dubnyk
Greiss

-----

So a lineup that hits a lot more (replacing Hemsky, MPS, Belanger by guys like Burmistrov, Laich, Chipchura) and adding players with position versatility, especially that can shift to C and more savvy defensively overall, kind of how Boson runs it.

Also think most of these moves are realistic IMO.

Last edited by enthropi: 06-19-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old
06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That 3rd line would be slow for a beer league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Morrow and Handzus added to the third line will not be a playoff team. Both in severe down trend in their career. And will not add secondary scoring which the bottom 6 lacked bad last year. big pass. That 3rd line might produce 8 goals all season awfull
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I'm really not a fan of Havlat, especially if you're moving Pajaarvi to the 4th line and you're able to add Morrow. I actually think Horcoff would be of more value to the Oilers lineup any way, plus you'd be paying 4M less for Horcoff over the next 2 years.
Again, just from signings only other than Horcoff, Hemsky and Belanger being traded. IMO, this would be the worst case scenario we could be in if MacT can't make any big trades happen. Just saying I wouldn't mind this. Wouldn't be my first choice. Excited to see what MacT has in store for us.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:39 PM
Debonair

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
As for post-buyout players, I would be mildly interested in Volchenkov as an extra, if only to help Belov ease into NA. Could be an interesting bottom pairing if it gels, but even as 7th dman it'd be fine. Not sure how much interest there would be in him league-wide, he's been pretty mediocre in recent years, but if for 1.5M or less, why not. We'll need more nasties in the new division.
Belov doesnt need any help, his English is already very good. If anything he will be the one mentoring Yakupov as his work ethic is also supposedly superb.

I agree with pretty much everything else you said, except for Orpik and Zubrus... don't want slow players that are past their prime.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:40 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
How hilarious would it be if they gave up their 1st, dealt Reimer, then Bernier couldn't play a full season and they gave up yet another lottery pick
I wouldn't find it hilarious at all since Los Angeles is in our division

Old
06-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
My we get hosed deals:
Statsny for Paajarvi - Should get accepted by COL since they Statsny is slumping and is a pending UFA.

Horcoff with 50% salary retained + ANA 2nd for Luongo 20% @ retained

Dubnyk + Gagner for Scrivens + Gardiner

Hemsky + 37th for Umberger

And now to fill in some of the blanks as per OP
Hall - Statsny - Eberle
x - RNH - Yakupov
x - Monahan - Umberger
Petrell - x - Brown
Lander

Smid - Petry
Gardiner - J.Schultz
N.Schultz - Belov