HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and the Calder goes to.... [UPDATE: Post #237 Nail Not Nominated]

Old
05-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Bank Shot

vCash: 500
Meh. Can't really complain. Yakupov didn't blow us away with his play this season.

Seemed like he was starting to figure it out down the stretch. Hopefully he takes some more steps next season.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Wow that's a huge snub for nail but on the bright side I'd be even more pissed off if I was a Wild fan and not having Brodin nominated.

IMO the calder voting should have been Brodin - Yakupov - Galagher and then having Huberdeau a close/debateable 4th/3rd.

Saad being nominated was a joke, the guy was a nobody until he was put on Towes line.
That's exactly how I had it. Don't understand the Saad pick. He was probably only the 3/4 best in WC and yet he is nominated.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
well he still outscored all the other rookies.. Rookie of the year does not go to the most consistent rookie but to the best one... Yak put up the points and won the rookie race.. Should have been the winner.
Brodin is like when we had Smid playing big minutes as a 18yo for us.. Pair Brodin up with Nick Schultz for 40 games and lets see how good he is.
Sure but he wasn't so much better than the other 3 forwards that Oiler fans should be going nuts over him not getting nominated. There was a good chunk of the season when he was largely invisible and got big chunks of points towards the end, lets not forget that.

I actually think that Brodin deserved it over anybody if there was any justice but we all know it's a forward award so it is what it is. An argument can be made for any of the 4 forwards, it's not really a big deal that Yakupov wasn't nominated.
Also, weren't the votes in before the Vancouver game? If so, he wasn't tied for rookie scorers at the time of the voting.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
0ilerman
The King

Brodin not getting nominated is a bigger shock than Yakupov. Brodin logged huge minutes on a D that's pretty shallow, and helped get his team to the playoffs.

Huberdeau gettinga nomination over Yaks or Brodin makes me wonder...

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
DousedInOil

This is a complete joke. Do the writers just take names out of a hat because their is no logical argument that keeps your leading rookie scorer out of the conversation.

I don't think we are wearing homer glasses to expect a nomination. I wasn't expecting him to win the thing but he deserves a nomination.

If the writers decided that point production wasn't as important as winning, then why is Huberdeau in their? He produced less in more minutes and had a significantly worse plus minus. I can get why Saad and Gallagher get vote seeing as they are both in the playoffs but Huberdeau makes no sense. The only argument I could see is that he is more valuable to his team. It's not like Yaupov played top 6 minutes all year. He was stuck with guys like Smyth and Horcoff most of the year.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

What a ****ing joke. Eastern bias bull **** strikes again.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:54 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Huberdeau over Yakupov is idiocy. Eastern time zone bias I suppose.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Sure but he wasn't so much better than the other 3 forwards that Oiler fans should be going nuts over him not getting nominated. There was a good chunk of the season when he was largely invisible and got big chunks of points towards the end, lets not forget that.

I actually think that Brodin deserved it over anybody if there was any justice but we all know it's a forward award so it is what it is. An argument can be made for any of the 4 forwards, it's not really a big deal that Yakupov wasn't nominated.
Also, weren't the votes in before the Vancouver game? If so, he wasn't tied for rookie scorers at the time of the voting.
so what? Were the other 3 players a lot more consistent? The stats for them are pretty crappy for players who were consistently dominating. Yak won the rookie scoring race (goals being the tie breaker) and should have been nominated....
Saad couldnt even outscore J.Schultz yet gets nominated.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Slats432

Yakupov scored 16 % of his points and almost a third of his goals on the last weekend in meaningless games. I wouldn't have nominated him either.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
so what? Were the other 3 players a lot more consistent? The stats for them are pretty crappy for players who were consistently dominating. Yak won the rookie scoring race (goals being the tie breaker) and should have been nominated....
Saad couldn't even outscore J.Schultz playing on a line with Toews and Hossa.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
this is ******* bu*****. The NHL is officially a farce. How the hell does the leading rookie scorer not even get nominated?

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Digger12

I haven't had a chance to look into this in any detail, but is there a precedent for a player technically winning the rookie scoring race, not being one of the ROY final nominees?

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 09:59 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Yak got extremely hot towards the end of the season but over the course of the entire season, i don't see how he separated himself from the others.
Based on my viewings of all the candidates, he looked most like a rookie throughout a good portion of the season. He was the best of the group by the end of the season but not over the course of the season IMO.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:00 AM
nightfighter

Quote:
Yak got extremely hot towards the end of the season but over the course of the entire season, i don't see how he separated himself from the others.
Based on my viewings of all the candidates, he looked most like a rookie throughout a good portion of the season. He was the best of the group by the end of the season but not over the course of the season IMO.
He might not deserve to win but he sure as hell deserves to be freakin' NOMINATED.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Mustymustard

Quote:
Saad had 5 points in his first 21 games...

Mustymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:02 AM
smokersarejokers

They really need to fix the eastern/major market bias with these things.

Brodin had a better season than all 3 of those guys.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
HOW DOES THE LEADING SCORER NOT EVEN GET NOMINATED???

What is this, us against the world? Everyone hates us because we have 3 #1 overall picks?

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:04 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Yakupov scored 16 % of his points and almost a third of his goals on the last weekend in meaningless games. I wouldn't have nominated him either.
Yep those points don't matter.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:08 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
Brodin not getting nominated is a bigger shock than Yakupov. Brodin logged huge minutes on a D that's pretty shallow, and helped get his team to the playoffs.

Huberdeau gettinga nomination over Yaks or Brodin makes me wonder...
You can plug Huberdeau into the same scenario as Yakupov - points leader, craptastic team. I guess MAYBE he was more consistent throughout the year, but Yakupov was fantastic the last couple of months.

I'm not surprised at all, the anti-Oilers agenda is in full effect, and also just generally (1) we're in the West, (2) we're in the bottom of the West.

If the Oilers snuck into 8th I think he would have received a nomination.

Brodin should have been nominated though.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:09 AM
shogun99

Quote:
Minnesota was
Fighting for their playoff lives? How is that not meaningful? They should have blown us out of their building.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
sid49
#FreeGaza

Quote:
The wild were playing for there playoff lives in the second last game. That was not a meaningless game at all. And Huberdeau put up 3 points in the last game of the season just like yak did. There's no way, with any sensible argument that you can say huberdeau deserves it more then Yakupov.

sid49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Toydarian

I don't think Yak getting a lot of goals and points in the latter part of the season should go against him. It's "Rookie of the Year." The league sets a cutoff at the end of the season, not once teams clinch a playoff spot. The failure to nominate Yak and Brodin, just reinforces the notion that people who vote don't watch anything past 9PM EST, which is pretty pathetic considering it's part of their job description!

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:12 AM
sid49
#FreeGaza

^ beat me to it

sid49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:12 AM
shogun99

I would also have to say that Yakupov got to much negative press due to his big celly. He would have had to be top 10 in league scoring to even get a nomination after that. Plus who knows if the Russian factor has anything to do with it since all Russian players are floaters with no heart and only care about money and going back to Russia at the first chance hey get...

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:13 AM
Dabomb

**** the NHL!!

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote