HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and the Calder goes to.... [UPDATE: Post #237 Nail Not Nominated]

Old
04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Gallagher was a better rookie. Period.
He had a better team and a weaker conference to play in.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:19 PM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
The stats show otherwise. And not just goals and points, but shooting percentage, powerplay success, key goals. And that's not even with considering that Gallagher had more key ice time than Yakupov. Gallagher was a great rookie, but not better than Yak.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Yet he didn't score as many goals or get as many points.

Playing on a winning team doesn't make him a better player. Yaks deserves the Calder.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
No to Schultz and Yaks. The team simply did not play well enough and neither of them made much of a difference in the teams fortunes.

The run away winner of the trophy is Brendan Gallagher - far and away the best rookie. Scored huge goals and played a pivotal role on taking a team from a failure to a post season contender.

It's not even close.
Quote:
Wow, another Nuckfan who has to appear and give us his ****** opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yet he didn't score as many goals or get as many points.

Playing on a winning team doesn't make him a better player. Yaks deserves the Calder.
Oh, but clearly we can tell that this one rookie, having a comparable season to other top rookies is just so disproportionately responsible for his team's success, in relation to the rest of his team.

Team improved? THAT GUY. That rookie. It was him. Give him offerings of silverware. This will please me.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

The awards judging has always been biased, the only ones worth anything are the non-subjective ones(Richard trophy/Art Ross).

People keep bring up the Matt Read votes from last year, and you don't have to look much farther than Scott Cullen(TSN power rankings guy), who has a vote. He had made up his mind via his stat system that Read was the best rookie in the league before the season was even half over last year. He was even talking **** to Oiler fans on twitter when they dared question his system, denigrating RNH in the process.

It would be nice if Yak got recognition, and is definitely one of the best rookies in the league, if not the best... but we'll just have to be happy with him scoring 30 - 50 goals per year for the next 10 years instead.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
OilerNut*

I like how on the main boards some think Yak shouldn't even be one of the 3 contenders.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Magnum23

I won't care if he gets the Calder or not. All I know is he will continue to get better and will be a solid 30-50 goal scorer for a long time. He could of had 25 goals this year if Kruger put him on a better line.

Magnum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:17 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I like how on the main boards some think Yak shouldn't even be one of the 3 contenders.
He will be nominated, but I think Gallagher will win. People in hockey don't like Yakupov. People in hockey LOVE Gallagher......small in stature but with a huge heart.

For the one that suggested that Gallagher played in a weaker conference, I'd suggest Yakupov played in the weakest division in hockey. Calgary and Colorado are laughing stocks. Minny was up and down and Vancouver showed up only once against Edmonton.

I have nothing against the Oilers. I just don't think Yakupov had the most outstanding rookie performance this year. Gallagher, in my opinion, did.

John Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:17 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum23 View Post
I won't care if he gets the Calder or not. All I know is he will continue to get better and will be a solid 30-50 goal scorer for a long time. He could of had 25 goals this year if Kruger put him on a better line.
Clearly Yakupov is a superstar in the making. He just wasn't the top rookie, in my opinion.

John Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:19 PM
McNutty780

Funny how Yakupov has done well despite Kruger being boneheaded and playing him in the most idiotic positions.

Maybe he'll get a clue and roll him with decent linemates for a whole year, as opposed to a quarter of it

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:20 PM
dem

I'm an Oilers fan... But I'd give it to Gallagher. Biggest impact, IMO.

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:05 AM
JonQuixote

I think there is a solid argument for Gallagher over Yakupov - a lesser-pedigreed guy contributing at a similar-level on a playoff team - but I don't see one for Huberdeau.

I think though that anybody in the league, even based on this year's play alone, would rather have Yakupov on their team than any of the other contenders. If you went to a playoff team and said that they could borrow any rookie in the league just for the playoffs, I think overwhelmingly they'd pick Yakupov. Some would probably take Brodin (some might take a chance on Schultz, depending on need) and maybe a few would think about Gallagher, but all of the conversations would start at Yakupov and most would finish there.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
BowDangles

I just hope that Yak gets a nomination this year.. They were talking on Team 1260 this morning that a lot of people send in their ballots early because they received them last week.

Last week I don't think Yak would be in consideration because these last two games is really where he took off. (5 goals)

That being said I think Brodin runs away with the actual reward. He plays big minutes as a defence man and when ever it comes down to a D vs a Fwd of equal skill the D 9 times out of 10 gets the nod because he is typically more important to their team.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
BowDangles

Huberdeau should be beat by Yakupov I would think.

Same amount of points, Yak has 3 more goals and Yakupov played on average 2 mins and 22 seconds less every game.

If they were giving the same amount of ice time all year you can bet Yak would be ahead in points.

My nominees would be Yak, Gallagher and Brodin with Brodin winning.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:03 AM
frag2

Yak will get 3rd or 4th voting in the end.

It'll likely go to Brodin even though I don't think he's all that. Sure, playing lots of minutes but that's only 2 minutes more than Schultz and his +/- is better simply because he's on a better team as whole. Combined with the fact he's an offensive D and only managed 51 shots to Schultz 80ish, nothing overtly impressive IMO. He also plays with a stud in Suter.

That said, even if Yakupov doesn't win, not too pissed because we all know the system itself is flawed. Hell, Crosby didn't win and I think he turned out pretty good

Hall> Skinner [arguably even in their rookie seasons-Hall's shortened due to injury else he would've won it]

Nuge>Landeskog [even with 1 arm]

Yakupov is still the best rookie out of the bunch this season and will be the best player out of the bunch [and likely one of the best players in the league for a long while]

Not too upset at all.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:05 AM
missinthejets

The most impressive thing about Yakupov is how much he improved as the season wore on. At the start of the year you could realy tell he was a raw rookie, but by the end of the year he was a legitimate player out here and one of the most dangerous on the team every night. If it was a full season I honestly wouldn't have been surprised to see him run away with the scoring race his game came that far. We should all be very excited to see what he can do next season.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:31 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I just hope that Yak gets a nomination this year.. They were talking on Team 1260 this morning that a lot of people send in their ballots early because they received them last week.

Last week I don't think Yak would be in consideration because these last two games is really where he took off. (5 goals)

That being said I think Brodin runs away with the actual reward. He plays big minutes as a defence man and when ever it comes down to a D vs a Fwd of equal skill the D 9 times out of 10 gets the nod because he is typically more important to their team.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

10 D have won the Calder Trophy since the NHL started awarding it in 1933.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:38 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I would be downright flabbergasted if Brodin won it.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
He had a better team and a weaker conference to play in.
Habs finished last in the East last year. Do people forget that? Just because they turned it around doesn't make them a better team. And, the playoff cut off for both conferences was 55 points.

Gallagher will win and he will go on to be a consistent 40 point getter. While, Yakupov will lose for the same reasons Landeskog won last year... he will likely be a 60-80 point player so I'm not too mad.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Habs finished last in the East last year. Do people forget that? Just because they turned it around doesn't make them a better team. And, the playoff cut off for both conferences was 55 points.

Gallagher will win and he will go on to be a consistent 40 point getter. While, Yakupov will lose for the same reasons Landeskog won last year... he will likely be a 60-80 point player so I'm not too mad.
Habs underperformed last season. They were/are better and last year was an aberration.

That said, its like what I said though. Yakupov will likely end up being the best player careerwise out of all the rookies this year anyway, the same way Hall is better than Skinner/Seguin, Nuge better than Landeskog

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM
spOiler

BUT BUT YAK HAS INTANGIBLES HE WOULD FIGHT ANYONE IN DAH LEAGUE...
Seriously though kid is the full package beyond his scoring ability. He hits he fore checks pretty well with his speed. he is awesome

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:33 PM
PumpkinBomb

I think the finalists should be:

Yakupov, Gallagher, Brodin.

I wouldn't be upset if any of those 3 won. They all play different style of games. It's not an award that says who's going to have the best career.

If saad or hubredeau win it, or get nominated above those 3 then that's a travesty.

You'll see a lot of weird voting this year. If a writer wants Gallagher to win, they likely won't have any other deserving players in their top 3, so as not to skew votes.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
I think the finalists should be:

Yakupov, Gallagher, Brodin.

I wouldn't be upset if any of those 3 won. They all play different style of games. It's not an award that says who's going to have the best career.

If saad or hubredeau win it, or get nominated above those 3 then that's a travesty.

You'll see a lot of weird voting this year. If a writer wants Gallagher to win, they likely won't have any other deserving players in their top 3, so as not to skew votes.
I was going to say the exact same things. Those three were the cream of the crop this year. If the award was only based on points then Yakupov wins. Brodin rose to the occasion and proved he belonged on the first pairing, regardless of having Suter as a partner. Gallagher is just a really good story, late draft pick, came up from the AHL, undersized and with a life threatening disease. He might not have the best career out of all the rookies but he was one of the leaders in goals, points and was a key player on a division champ. He'll win.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
you can still do damage from the third line
On a team that's in contention for a lottery pick...I...don't...even...know...what...to...say.

Shultz was mr invisible with horrendous puck play for far too much of the season. yakupov after the blip in defence, was a stud all year and got better and better as it wore on. The kid played with more passion than everyone not named Hall and was killer when given the opportunity to play with offensive minded players.

Yaks for Calder.

Brodin most likely though because Yak's has too much fun out there according to laughable beat writers.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:15 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I was going to say the exact same things. Those three were the cream of the crop this year. If the award was only based on points then Yakupov wins. Brodin rose to the occasion and proved he belonged on the first pairing, regardless of having Suter as a partner. Gallagher is just a really good story, late draft pick, came up from the AHL, undersized and with a life threatening disease. He might not have the best career out of all the rookies but he was one of the leaders in goals, points and was a key player on a division champ. He'll win.
I remember when a young MAB proved he belonged on a first pairing with Pronger... We should all remember that a Norris caliber partner can make a young D-man look much better than he would if he wasn't paired with one. Put Brodin beside N Schultz all year and then see how much Calder hype he gets.

Imo, Brodin doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation. I would have Yak, Gallagher and Saad as my top 3.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote