HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

and the Calder goes to.... [UPDATE: Post #237 Nail Not Nominated]

Old
04-29-2013, 03:37 PM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I remember when a young MAB proved he belonged on a first pairing with Pronger... We should all remember that a Norris caliber partner can make a young D-man look much better than he would if he wasn't paired with one. Put Brodin beside N Schultz all year and then see how much Calder hype he gets.

Imo, Brodin doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation. I would have Yak, Gallagher and Saad as my top 3.
That's how I feel about Brodin as well. No slight on him, just I think whatever deficiencies he's had, it's Suter masking it.

His stat line is so mediocre IMO.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
That's how I feel about Brodin as well. No slight on him, just I think whatever deficiencies he's had, it's Suter masking it.

His stat line is laughable really in the context of awards.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post

Spector voted for Brodin as per the main board.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Spector voted for Brodin as per the main board.
His 2nd pick takes away any credibility he had.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:13 PM
MrOil

In their rookie years:
Yak = 0.62 PPG
Stamkos = 0.58 PPG
Not saying Yak > Stamkos but...

MrOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM
dem

Does anyone really care about the Calder?

It means absolutely nothing

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I remember when a young MAB proved he belonged on a first pairing with Pronger... We should all remember that a Norris caliber partner can make a young D-man look much better than he would if he wasn't paired with one. Put Brodin beside N Schultz all year and then see how much Calder hype he gets.

Imo, Brodin doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation. I would have Yak, Gallagher and Saad as my top 3.
My thoughts exactly. He's probably barely in the top 10, simply because there's no tangible measure of his contributions.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

The main board sure does, likely for the purpose of bashing us for never winning one and to discredit the "classless" Yakupov.

I sure don't care very much though, we know what we've got in Yak and if a bunch of Gallagher homers think they have the better player overall then I'll be happy to laugh at them later.

Samwise Gagner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post

If Gretzky and RNH weren't screwed over by one dumb rule and one mancrush on a hard working Swede...

And if we didn't have both the overall rookie scoring leader and d-man rookie scoring leader...

And if we weren't so sure that a real screw job was in place now...

Old
04-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

And let's be honest, let's admit that him kissing the Oilers crest after scoring against Minny brought back some serious feelings of nostalgia for the glory years. Not in the comparison sense, but in the sense that a player might just love this team as much as we do. Nail and Hallsie have my infinite gratitude as an Oiler fan.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:14 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
It's been a few days since this thread was made and still nobody's given me a legit reason why Brodin should get the Calder other than being Suter's partner.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:21 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
It's been a few days since this thread was made and still nobody's given me a legit reason why Brodin should get the Calder other than being Suter's partner.
Intangibles.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:33 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Brodin is slick. Almost every sports commenator is raving about him. He is very good. I dont think he put up the points to win the calder, but he will be a solid D from now on

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:40 PM
spOiler

Would love to have brodin but i just dont see it. If hes so great we should be stoked about klefbom because i believe he was getting more play time at the end of last year because he surpassed him.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
In the sports writer world, it's a legit reason.

Perfect example - 2002/2003 - Barrett Jackman won the award for playing with Chris Pronger as a rookie

Over Zetterberg and Rick Nash no less.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
shogun99

Intangible's and unsustainable are the two favourite words of Oiler bashers.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Crimson Live

vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
Yak should win. dont care about politics or media garbage. kid was the RoY while getting shafted on minutes (did the same damage as Huberdeau in less minutes per game). also crushed the pack in PP goals.

kids going to be a stud. top line of him and Hall for me.

no thanks to Saad. kid has a ringer team to lean on. put up 27 with studs most of the year? nah. keep in mind thats 27 points on a team that put up 30 more goals for than the Oilers. Yak did more damage under more duress.

RNH didnt finish the season for his scam out of it. Yak did.
Saad also played against the other teams top line where as Yak was playing vs 2nd or 3rd. Also Chicago played a tougher division which makes a tougher schedule for them to play against.

Crimson Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Live View Post
Saad also played against the other teams top line where as Yak was playing vs 2nd or 3rd. Also Chicago played a tougher division which makes a tougher schedule for them to play against.
Who were his line mates?

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:19 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

The Calder is for the best rookie not the best team the rookie played on or who his line mates are. It is hard to objectively look at it as Yakupov is on our team.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
The Calder is for the best rookie not the best team the rookie played on or who his line mates are. It is hard to objectively look at it as Yakupov is on our team.
Exactly. Because the majority of the losers with votes are on the East coast.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:27 AM
spOiler

I care about the calder because i have yak in my pool and i get 25$ if i have the calder.

spOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:41 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

What the hell's all the rage about Brodin? He wasn't even best performing rookie dman... never mind best rookie.

Wiercioch, Muzzin, Hamilton and our very own Justin Schultz were all better... yep even Justin Schultz. It's not all about +/- and time on ice.

Who will win it?

Should be Galchenyuk. Seems to have the best production for the ice time he was given... and he's a high profile Eastern-based player so it's an even bigger plus for him.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:04 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
What the hell's all the rage about Brodin? He wasn't even best performing rookie dman... never mind best rookie.

Wiercioch, Muzzin, Hamilton and our very own Justin Schultz were all better... yep even Justin Schultz. It's not all about +/- and time on ice.

Who will win it?

Should be Galchenyuk. Seems to have the best production for the ice time he was given... and he's a high profile Eastern-based player so it's an even bigger plus for him.
I think rage is a bot exaggerated but since I've not read every post about the Calder I guess I may be wrong.

I think you're off though. In my opinion there's no doubt that Brodin was the best rookie defenseman although I know it's a dead end argument to make here seeing that basically half of Edmonton supporters are allergic to any explanation other than production stat lines after last year's Calder situation.

He went right onto the 1st pair in MIN never looking back. Playing big minutes and double shifting when necessary as he did in one of MIN most important games of the year against LAK (TOI 29:22).

On his team he was 2nd in EV TOI/G and in SH TOI/G but only 12th in PP TOI/G (compared with the other rookies he was obviously no 1 in TOI/G which everyone already knows).

For those who like more stats:
usage chart
(highlights: tough minutes, low offensive zone starts, out-shooting opponents)

That's the facts part of this conversation I guess. I'm not crazy about stats like this (I bet someone will be able to turn everything around by using other means of measurement...) and since I know I'm not going to convince anyone here anyway I'd just like to add that it was really watching him play that convinced me. Compared with the players you've listed I think he's just on a different level of hockey intelligence (as a defenseman that is) right now. Consistently calm and collected in every situation and I have honestly not seen that in the others.

That said intelligence and calm as a defenseman is something you learn. I think that there's a good chance our own J.Schultz will get there as well and if he does he could become an much more complete offensive/defensive than Brodin. But we'll just have to wait and see for that.

All this just to say that I still think Yakupov should win it. Brodin should be nominated.

Both great players.

Last edited by LaGu: 04-30-2013 at 06:10 AM.
LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Soundwave

I don't really care but to be honest if this was a full 82 game season, I think Yakupov probably wins this easily. In fact, I think he'd probably have finished as the first rookie to score 30 or more goals since Jeff Skinner.

He was heating up right as the season ended and finally getting a chance to play in the top six after Hemsky got injured.

But it seems like the last few Calder winners have been cursed, so maybe it's alright if he doesn't get it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:05 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Scott Gomez and Steve Mason are Calder winners. Wayne Gretzky and Sidney Crosby aren't.

Who cares about the Calder?

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote