HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Rookies uplifting to clubs - USA Today

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 07:19 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Rookies uplifting to clubs - USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...-rookies_x.htm

Rookies uplifting to clubs
By Kevin Allen, USA TODAY

The Pittsburgh Penguins are contemplating using an 18-year-old netminder. The Chicago Blackhawks believe they have their best rookie center since Jeremy Roenick. The St. Louis Blues might use a rookie left wing on Doug Weight's line.

The Detroit Red Wings, who rely heavily on veterans, even boast a rookie they believe could have as much impact as 2002-03 standout Henrik Zetterberg.

It's early to suggest this will be the year of the rookie, but the presence of Pittsburgh's Marc-Andre Fleury, Chicago's Tuomo Ruutu, St. Louis' Peter Sejna and Detroit's Jiri Hudler and other good young prospects gives rise to the possibility this could be one of the best crops in years.

"When I went on the ice, we had eight goalies and no nametags," Penguins defenseman Marc Bergevin says. "But as soon as I looked at this kid for a few minutes, I knew he had to be the one. You could see how good he was."

Old
09-25-2003, 05:18 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Kind of odd that he doesn't mention Pitkanen, Stall, Zherdev or Dustin Brown, all of whom are having very good camps so far.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:36 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Kind of odd that he doesn't mention Pitkanen, Stall, Zherdev or Dustin Brown, all of whom are having very good camps so far.
Zherdev? Is there another one? Nik Zherdev isn't in Columbus camp; he's been playing RSL games since their season started waiting for an agreement to be worked out between his club and the Jackets (he has a contract, but about what to do if he doesn't make the Jackets).

Old
09-25-2003, 09:02 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Agreed. I heard Staal was tearing it up in preseason.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:37 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
Zherdev? Is there another one? Nik Zherdev isn't in Columbus camp; he's been playing RSL games since their season started waiting for an agreement to be worked out between his club and the Jackets (he has a contract, but about what to do if he doesn't make the Jackets).

My fault, I thought he had signed a contract.

I know Pitkanen, Brown & Stahl have been very impressive so far.

Closed Thread