HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

North Division Finals: Rochester (N1) vs Manitoba (N3)

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2005, 12:56 AM
cj

vCash: 500
Oops, sorry. Shows how much I know about the Amerks.

You can ignore that post then. Well, except for the extra-gear part. I think that's still true.

Old
05-12-2005, 12:57 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

The Moose seem to be a punishing team to play against, lots of grit, and enough skill to win games. Interesting to see Crawford very excited at the chance to give Goren a shot at the big club.

Old
05-12-2005, 01:52 AM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
The Amerks are not younger. The Amerks are a veteran filled team, especially on defense.

Except injuries have put some on the shelf. Lingren, Botterill, Rohloff. Counting those guys, since the season began the Amerks have had 8 veterans on the roster. 5 are being dressed now because of the Lingren injury, but one problem the Amerks never have in inexperience.
The Amerks are a younger team because their most valuable players are all young. We shouldn't determine whether they're a young or old team by calculating the roster's average age or looking at how many vets they have but rather looking at who are the major contributors on that team and who are the go-to guys and look at their ages.

Thomas Vanek - 1984
Derek Roy - 1983
Paul Gaustad - 1982
Jiri Novotny - 1983
Dan Paille - 1984

5 of their top 6 scorers are born 1982 and thereafter.

Ryan Miller - 1980

Their blue-chip goalie is also fairly young

Doug Janik - 1980
Nathan Paetsch - 1983
Jeff Jillson - 1980
Ryan Jorde - 1982

Half of their defense is young as well

Milan Bartovic - 1981
Norm Milley - 1980
Chris Thorburn - 1983
Clarke MacArthur - 1985
Michael Ryan - 1980
Sean McMorrow - 1982

Their other players are also fairly young

Old
05-12-2005, 02:32 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris
The Burrow - Smith - Roy and Heerma - Kesler - Goren lines are absolutely amazing. So is our defense led by Baumgartner and Bieska. Too bad Sarno is playing like a fruit out there, a fruit who doesn't score and is a liability on the ice. Kesler is absolutely amazing. Too bad Koltsov isn't here or else the Moose could be even better.
Sarno has been OK offensively, but sounds BAD defensively. Going have to hide him 5-5.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:10 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Come on Nuckfan, he is a hot hot prospect right now.

Not only is he scoring points but his +/- is 10 and leads the entire AHL in that stat. I don't think a single goal has been scored against the Moose when he is on the ice these playoffs. His defense is impeccable and he comes with a goal scoring touch too. And Kesler is only 20 right now but playing with great maturity and conscience.
still an odd comment to make after a game when he was less than great.

He is a hot prospect right now... and no doubt has improved his overall standing among prospects in the NHL. But the hype is getting ridiculous IMO. He had a sub-par game last night and yet that's when he's labelled as being absolutely fabulous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
Sarno and Kesler were totally invisable.
and that from a Moose fan who saw the game...

Old
05-12-2005, 08:18 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie
Just got back from the post game beer fest! Tons of fun for a minor league game, I couldn't imagine the atmosphere at the MTS Centre if we had a real team here.

Anyway, Heerema was a threat every time he had the puck, Jimmy Roy is a clown but capitalized on a wicked pass from Burrows. Goren was huge on some shifts and terrible on others. Bieska and Baumgartner played great. Sarno and Kesler were totally invisable. Flaherty was the 1st star and well deserved! He played great.
Jimmy Roy is a "clown" that is the perfect team player through the season, accepts whatever role the coach gives him, and then comes through each and every playoff season for the Moose. The way he steps up his game in the playoffs is awesome. He is absolutely clutch. And annoying as hell to play against.

Old
05-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapps
Seriously, it sounds like the Micro Machines guy is calling the game.

The broadcast had a bit more echo than usual and I attribute it to the fact that the radio side was just a simulcast of the TV broadcast. It usually sounds better and personally I really like Don Stevens.

Oh, and f'ing Amerks.

Old
05-12-2005, 12:45 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Funny how the guy that was at the game calls Jimmy Roy a clown...

I was at the game also....

That "clown" has only taken 2 penalties I believe, the entire playoffs, gets under opposing players' skin, and scored the freaking game winner. Don't know how he's been a clown in these playoffs. I've never seen him more disciplined for this many games in a row since he's been a Moose.

Sarno was invisable, Kesler was offensively, but was clutch defensively.

Old
05-12-2005, 01:47 PM
cneely

Just grabbed my company's tickets for Friday. I'll try to post a report after the game, but I plan on putting back a beer or two, so my view may be somewhat muddled.

Roy is a clown, but I mean that in a good way. He'll do whatever it takes to help his team win, legal or not. I've played some golf with him as well, he's a pretty decent guy.

Old
05-12-2005, 01:59 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

without our two top goal scores..

the amerks would have won had the games not been so tilted. we can do nothing with out our top wingers

Old
05-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by impressingagent

the amerks would have won had the games not been so tilted. we can do nothing with out our top wingers
Well Vanek played a little.

Until Bieksa destroyed him.

Old
05-12-2005, 03:06 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by impressingagent

While I hate to make excuses like this, it is true. If the Amerks had Vanek, Pominville, Botterill and Rohloff, I don't think the series woul dbe the way it is now. That's about 100 goals combines from those 3 forwards. It's amazing to think where the Amerks might have gone with Botterill and a relatively healthy lineup. But the players now just aren't getting it done, simple as that.

Old
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
aftu

Anyone else find this infinitely more interesting to follow than the WC's right now?

Sarno's due for something next game, by the way. My avatar demands it.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:35 PM
CF

Quote:
While I hate to make excuses like this, it is true. If the Amerks had Vanek, Pominville, Botterill and Rohloff, I don't think the series woul dbe the way it is now. That's about 100 goals combines from those 3 forwards. It's amazing to think where the Amerks might have gone with Botterill and a relatively healthy lineup. But the players now just aren't getting it done, simple as that.
The Amerks aren't the only team suffering losses.

Old
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF
The Amerks aren't the only team suffering losses.
Find me a team that has lost a combined 100 goals and 2 of your projected best defensemen? Throw in your enforcer and one of your best forecheckers too.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Le Golie

I too meant that Jimmy Roy is a good kind of clown. I don't mean it in a bad way, but he definitely is a clown.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:36 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Find me a team that has lost a combined 100 goals and 2 of your projected best defensemen? Throw in your enforcer and one of your best forecheckers too.
cry me a river. its hockey, this stuff happens.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:41 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi21
excuses are part of losing in hockey. I haven't yet read a thread during the NHL season, where fans of the losing team aren't complaining about circumstances which caused their loss.

We've read em all as canuck fans too, and I can't count the number of times I've read how the canucks could have beaten the Flames if we had Bertuzzi... whatever!! we lost... we have to deal with it.

If the Amerks lose, then they have to deal with it too. It's part of the game.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:44 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
excuses are part of losing in hockey. I haven't yet read a thread during the NHL season, where fans of the losing team aren't complaining about circumstances which caused their loss.

We've read em all as canuck fans too, and I can't count the number of times I've read how the canucks could have beaten the Flames if we had Bertuzzi... whatever!! we lost... we have to deal with it.

If the Amerks lose, then they have to deal with it too. It's part of the game.
I know, I'm sick of Canuck fans saying that if Bert played it would've made a difference. The way Sutter had his boys flying, I really don't think it would have, anyways.

Old
05-12-2005, 06:48 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
you have to admit, if the Moose couldn't score any goals, moose fans would bring up the fact that one of our top scorers is out (kinger), and we had lost one of our better offensive dmen (koltsov).

Old
05-12-2005, 07:06 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
As I said earlier in this thread, the players now aren't getting it done. But you can't just ignore when a team loses players like this. How about we take Goren, Kesler, Sarno, Baumgartner and DiPenta out of the lineup. Something tells me they wouldn't exactly be quite as good.

Don't get me wrong, the Amerks have had there chances this series but they just blew it. But they are a shell of what they could be, and it's not like the Moose are dominating and blowing the Amerks out now with a lineup half as good as it could be. But I realize thats hockey so the Moose are entirely deserving.

Old
05-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^In case you didn't notice, the Moose did lose some key players over the course of the season(Koltsov, King). So it's not like the Moose are 100% healthy and ready to rock. Guys are just stepping up to fill the void, and that's what you do in hockey.

~Canucklehead~

Old
05-12-2005, 07:20 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
^In case you didn't notice, the Moose did lose some key players over the course of the season(Koltsov, King). So it's not like the Moose are 100% healthy and ready to rock. Guys are just stepping up to fill the void, and that's what you do in hockey.

~Canucklehead~
I kno who they have lost. No where near the extent of the Amerk injuries, but King is a big loss.

Old
05-12-2005, 07:23 PM
sunb

Quote:
The Moose are without Kiril Koltsov and Jason King.

Vanek has played in this series so you really can't count him like the you count Pominville and Rohloff. Vanek tried to finesse his way on the offensive zone and he will be punished if he tries to do that against the Moose, what happened in this series should not be lamented over.

I'd argue King + Koltsov is as great a loss as Pominville + Rohloff + Botterill.

Old
05-12-2005, 07:48 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
The Moose are without Kiril Koltsov and Jason King.

Vanek has played in this series so you really can't count him like the you count Pominville and Rohloff. Vanek tried to finesse his way on the offensive zone and he will be punished if he tries to do that against the Moose, what happened in this series should not be lamented over.

I'd argue King + Koltsov is as great a loss as Pominville + Rohloff + Botterill.
Vanek played 2 periods this series, and not at 100%.

Even taking Vanek out, Botterill, Pominville and Rohloff are certainly bigger losses than the two you named. And I don't think it's really even that close. I'm not sure how familiar with the Amerks you are, but Botterill and Pominville are the Amerks PP, and just huge parts to the offense. Rohloff never played much, but he is a great AHL defensemen. I have no doubts that he would have ended up the best Amerk defensemen had he not been injured.

Closed Thread