HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Thoughts on Bouwmeester? (mod)

Old
04-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Bouwmeester? (mod)

I am coming here to ask what your guys thoughts on boumeester are so far?? Loved him in Calgary and was said to see him go. Has he played as well for you guys as he had for us this season?

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Had a great first couple games, played ok in the next couple, but tonight looked really good after Vancouver's goal, especially on his goal. We are all happy with him and he's definitely helped us solidify the defense.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
I'll say that I'm happy I don't have to worry if Petro makes a mistake because J-Bo is there. He's been great and has done more than I could have asked. 8 games with 4 points and a +3 is reflecting his play perfectly with how the Blues have also been playing. Now that he's had time to get comfortable with the system you can see him and Pietrangelo developing some chemistry and they work the puck well together to get us out of our own zone.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:48 PM
BlueDream

He's been good. 4 points so far, skates like the wind, and his size and reach have been a very nice addition on the blueline. Sometimes he's been a little shaky in our own zone, but he's still a really good defenseman. What I like about him is he's not being counted on as the #1 guy, he's our #2 and he's making life a lot easier on Alex Pietrangelo. It's no secret that Pietrangelo has all the sudden looked better defensively after the arrival of JayBo...We are all much more confident with that top pairing now. They are good.

Also it's awesome the minutes he can log without looking tired at all.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:06 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I didn't realize he was this strong of a skater. His rushes up ice have been nice to see, and an element the Blues have been lacking since EJ went to Colorado (though I'm still glad THAT happened). He's also able to recover well on defense.

Overall, he has less impact offensively than I expected, and he's a bit more physical in the crease than I expected. I think he and Pietro are still learning how to play together as a unit. I'm not sure we'll really see them get to gel until next year, but hopefully a long playoff run with provide lots of practice.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:13 AM
nicholas89alex

vCash: 333
so far my only complaints with him could be chalked up to him get used to the team, things like him and the goalie both trying to clear the puck and getting in each others way. but I remember watching one game and he start rushing it and I just had to yell god he's fast. so far very happy with the trade.

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:17 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I didn't realize he was this strong of a skater. His rushes up ice have been nice to see, and an element the Blues have been lacking since EJ went to Colorado (though I'm still glad THAT happened). He's also able to recover well on defense.

Overall, he has less impact offensively than I expected, and he's a bit more physical in the crease than I expected. I think he and Pietro are still learning how to play together as a unit. I'm not sure we'll really see them get to gel until next year, but hopefully a long playoff run with provide lots of practice.
I completely agree with this assesment.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:38 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

I agree with this but with our recent lack of offense, I am looking more at how he is creating plays and I feel he is actually exceeding my expectations and I really feel like the points will come.

I would also like to add that not only is he more physical (meaning he will use his large body to make a play and not always go for a big hit) but his positioning is VERY sound

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

He played really well in the first couple, just decent in the next couple, but I thought he was great last night.

The lack of physicality that people were making him out to be is vastly overstated IMO through this small handful of games we've played so far.

Very very happy to have him. Will definitely eat some crow on being wrong and the fact that we gave up as little as we did makes it better. I certainly hope he's re-signed to a more team friendly deal after next season.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:34 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
He played really well in the first couple, just decent in the next couple, but I thought he was great last night.

The lack of physicality that people were making him out to be is vastly overstated IMO through this small handful of games we've played so far.

Very very happy to have him. Will definitely eat some crow on being wrong and the fact that we gave up as little as we did makes it better. I certainly hope he's re-signed to a more team friendly deal after next season.
I hope he's signed to that new team/cap-friendly deal DURING next season, not until AFTER it ends (then it would be bid up by teams competing for UFAs).

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I hope he's signed to that new team/cap-friendly deal DURING next season, not until AFTER it ends (then it would be bid up by teams competing for UFAs).
That's really what I meant, but didn't say. I would think he would want to be here since he waived his no-trade to come here.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:57 AM
TheRyanExpress

J-Bouw is the smoothest skater we've had in the note in quite some time, in my opinion. I think he's fit in really well. Doesn't play a physical game, but that was his M.O. I've always thought his offensive game was a bit overrated, but he's a solid D-man that pairs well with Petro.

TheRyanExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

I'm loving this guys play, he's physical, skates hard and what I believe was exactly what we needed on our D. I'm looking forward to some great games being dominated by our D next year once they are all familiar with each other and the system.

Fluff Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Brez50

+1 to what Fluff said.

I thought he looked incredible the first few games here. He looks huge on the ice and can move up the ice as fast as anyone I've seen. I just haven't seen that out of him until one time last night. I really hope the Blues can resign him to a long term deal.

Brez50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:32 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

He's been a pleasant surprised and a far better alternative than what we have been seeing. I think he is a very good defenseman with the tools to be exceptional. He could really stand to work on his positioning in the defensive zone rather than skate more than he has to. Meaning he does run around a lot unneccessarily where as a Jackman may not skate as much, but is in better position between him and the net or another forward. His skill set is just phenomenal though. Maybe a Jackman or MacInnis can help/work with him to tone down those tendencies that could make him an elite defenseman. Reed Low brought this up the other day on the radio and I totally agree.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:12 AM
erderuft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
He's been a pleasant surprised and a far better alternative than what we have been seeing. I think he is a very good defenseman with the tools to be exceptional. He could really stand to work on his positioning in the defensive zone rather than skate more than he has to. Meaning he does run around a lot unneccessarily where as a Jackman may not skate as much, but is in better position between him and the net or another forward. His skill set is just phenomenal though. Maybe a Jackman or MacInnis can help/work with him to tone down those tendencies that could make him an elite defenseman. Reed Low brought this up the other day on the radio and I totally agree.
I also agree on this. He really seems to make up for it with great skating, though. Just a fantastic skater. Another one of our players, with similar height/build, could really learn from Bouw.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
ikeman79

Lots of people said J-Bo was a cream puff. Lots of people lied.

I love this guy! He skates like the wind, places shots on net, uses his body well, clears the crease better than anybody but Polak. I like the guy a lot.

I knew that though, I've watched him for quite some time and knew he wasn't what the masses said he was. As a whole I think he is just what we needed on D. Now we need a forward that can score goals on a consistent basis and we will be home free.

ikeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
That's really what I meant, but didn't say. I would think he would want to be here since he waived his no-trade to come here.
I think after making the playoffs for the first time in his hockey, not just NHL, career that he stays. He's seems like a very humble guy, my mind would be blown if Army could sign him for 5mil or under.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeman79 View Post
Lots of people said J-Bo was a cream puff. Lots of people lied.

I love this guy! He skates like the wind, places shots on net, uses his body well, clears the crease better than anybody but Polak. I like the guy a lot.

I knew that though, I've watched him for quite some time and knew he wasn't what the masses said he was. As a whole I think he is just what we needed on D. Now we need a forward that can score goals on a consistent basis and we will be home free.

He's no more of a cream puff than Petro and Shatty or even somebody like Al Macinnis. You don't have to throw bone crushing hit to be a great D-man.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:56 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I didn't realize how good a skater Jaybo is. So far a very good addition by the 'note.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

Glad he is playing well for you guys! He's always been a very good Defencman but just got a lot of criticism because he played for the flames.

Cundari is making his debut for us tonight and he looks great! It's only one game but he's blocked shots, played physical and opened the scoring with his 1st nhl goal in his first game.
Fingers crossed that cundari can at least turn into a 5/6 D for us and Berra can come over and play solid so it's a win-win trade for both clubs

Old
04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

I had no idea calgary actually had intentions of playing cundari in the NHL this year...

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
I had no idea calgary actually had intentions of playing cundari in the NHL this year...
Our ahl teams season ended yesterday so I guess they thought why not? We are also dealing with injury problems on D

Old
04-21-2013, 07:27 PM
CaptainCrunch67

What you will find out is that a lot of people in the main forum were talking out of their butts about Jay and had never watched him play a game in their life.

While he's not a big physical presence, he's good at clearing the crease, he's positionally sound. He has a great first pass, but can also skate the puck out of trouble.

His best attribute is he can activate from the point and if the puck goes the other way he's quick enough to get back in position.

He is a true top pairing defensemen, Hartley saved his career in Calgary by actually using him. I think that his motivation will make him do great things for you in the playoffs.

So far Cundari has been good in Abottsford and has really played well in his first game in Calgary. If just Cundari and whatever the first round pick gets us turn out to be roster players I'm as a Flames fan happy with the deal.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Hockeygirl95*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
Why wouldn't they?

He played two games for the Heat and had three assists and was +3.

Two points for him tonight in his NHL debut.

Hockeygirl95* is offline   Reply With Quote