HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Good fighters who rarely fought

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2013, 12:56 PM
  #51
tombombadil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: West Kelowna, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Pavel Datsyuk.

haha, NO! But I sure got excited when he gave it back to Perry. Lost to Niedermayer, though.

Jon Ericsson is a Wing who can really go when he must.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
  #52
Quares27
Registered User
 
Quares27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,908
vCash: 500
Beauchemin doesn't fight much (pretty much only when he's challenged) but he's very good at it

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
  #53
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!
 
ZARTONK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 9,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Richard Zednik is very good for someone who almost never fought.
Yup, first name that came to mind. He's had 5 fights but he's very good. Still remember his fight against Drury.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:10 PM
  #54
yave1964
22 and counting
 
yave1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington ohio
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
One of my favorite surprising hockey stats is that Clark Gillies never had over 100 PM in a season. He'd taken on most of the top tough guys of his era, usually won, but didn't feel the need to intimidate or start trouble.
I was going to go with Gillies too, hardly fought because of guys like Howatt being on the team but his presense was enough.

Shea Weber more than holds his own when he battles and I don't see them lining up to take him on.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:19 PM
  #55
yave1964
22 and counting
 
yave1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lexington ohio
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Bobby Clarke. Didn't have to but mean as mean got.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 04:06 PM
  #56
davebenj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Richard Zednik is very good for someone who almost never fought.
I would agree although every fight he's fought at least to me were against players who fought even less than he did

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:47 PM
  #57
DisgruntledGoat
Registered User
 
DisgruntledGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
Off topic, but one fight vs McSorely aside (in which he loses), Messier was a horrible fighter for his size. He was a bully against guys who couldn't or wouldn't fight, but that hardly qualifies someone as a good fighter.
Going by hockeyfights.com, Messier's fight card includes:

Russ Anderson
Kim Clackson
Jim Peplinski X 2
Reed Larson
Chris Kotsopolous
Mario Marois
Marty McSorley X 4
Randy Hillier X 2
Mike McPhee
Gary Roberts
Mark Hunter
Joel Otto X2

The only small guys on that list are regular fighters (ie Clackson). So I think you're a little off base.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:06 PM
  #58
scribe114
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Red Kelly

He was the Gold Gloves Champion at St. Michaels College, he fought a lot in juniors until one of his coaches told him he was no good to the team in the Penalty Box.

I think he had about 7 fights that I could come across, and none of his opponents fared well. Kelly did a major beatdown on Vic Lynn in the 1950 Stanley Cup Semifinals he didn't have another fight until the 54-55 season. Kelly was not a hothead by nature but guys in the league did not tangle with him.

He racked up 15 (Two Majors and a misconduct) minutes in penalties when he tore into Eric Nesterenko on 16 October in Toronto during the 55-56 season (Read the Detroit Free Press article a few years back, will check the game log on the MB here to confirn) and he got into a doosey with Bert Olmstead in the 58 All Star Game,

As Gordie Howe stated in his biography: "Red was a Gold Glover, nobody messed with him".

A few others of note: Gilles, Beck, Craig MacTavish, Lee Fogolin.

scribe114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 07:43 PM
  #59
iamjs
Unregistered User
 
iamjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Going by hockeyfights.com, Messier's fight card includes:

Russ Anderson
Kim Clackson
Jim Peplinski X 2
Reed Larson
Chris Kotsopolous (Loss)
Mario Marois
Marty McSorley X 4 (two definite losses, trying to find info on the first two)
Randy Hillier X 2 (clean hit by Hillier with Mess blindsiding Hillier and punching him)
Mike McPhee (Loss)
Gary Roberts (Draw)
Mark Hunter (Draw)
Joel Otto X2 (Loss)

The only small guys on that list are regular fighters (ie Clackson). So I think you're a little off base.
Not really.

Todd Hlushko, 3 inches, 26 lbs smaller
Valeri Zelepukin, 3 inches, 31 lbs smaller
Josef Beranek, 13 lbs lighter

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 09:57 PM
  #60
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post
Bobby Clarke. Didn't have to but mean as mean got.
I kind of thing Clarke is the opposite of what this thread is about - he started fights all the time, but wasn't the best fighter, and his teammates often jumped in to finish what Clarke started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe114 View Post
Red Kelly

He was the Gold Gloves Champion at St. Michaels College, he fought a lot in juniors until one of his coaches told him he was no good to the team in the Penalty Box.

I think he had about 7 fights that I could come across, and none of his opponents fared well. Kelly did a major beatdown on Vic Lynn in the 1950 Stanley Cup Semifinals he didn't have another fight until the 54-55 season. Kelly was not a hothead by nature but guys in the league did not tangle with him.

He racked up 15 (Two Majors and a misconduct) minutes in penalties when he tore into Eric Nesterenko on 16 October in Toronto during the 55-56 season (Read the Detroit Free Press article a few years back, will check the game log on the MB here to confirn) and he got into a doosey with Bert Olmstead in the 58 All Star Game,

As Gordie Howe stated in his biography: "Red was a Gold Glover, nobody messed with him".

A few others of note: Gilles, Beck, Craig MacTavish, Lee Fogolin.
Great answer. Multiple Lady Byngs as a defenseman, trained as a boxer. You don't see that anymore.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 11:21 PM
  #61
DisgruntledGoat
Registered User
 
DisgruntledGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Not really.

Todd Hlushko, 3 inches, 26 lbs smaller
Valeri Zelepukin, 3 inches, 31 lbs smaller
Josef Beranek, 13 lbs lighter
So I list 18 fights, you list 3, and then respond with, 'not really'? Good stuff.

And Zelepukin was at least 6'0, and Messier has always been listed at 6'1 or 6'2.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:19 AM
  #62
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks
 
LeBlondeDemon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
He racked up 15 (Two Majors and a misconduct) minutes in penalties when he tore into Eric Nesterenko on 16 October in Toronto during the 55-56 season
Not to minimize Kelly's fighting skills, but (and I can't recall if I read this or heard it from someone), Nesterenko was a bad alcoholic. Once in Toronto he spent the afternoon drinking in the pub before a game that night against Chicago. He was playing for the Leafs then. Anyway, after the game he returns to the pub and the same guy he had been drinking with was still there. The guy says to Nesterenko, "Great game, you almost had the hat trick." Nesterenko responds, "I scored two goals?"

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 10:31 AM
  #63
donnie pfaster
Registered User
 
donnie pfaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Rick Chartraw was good fighter who only fough a couple of times every season.

donnie pfaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 02:19 AM
  #64
whatname
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Jovanovski
Iginla

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
  #65
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie pfaster View Post
Rick Chartraw was good fighter who only fough a couple of times every season.
In the 70s, Mtl always had fighters who did not fight often. Chartraw, Pierre Bouchard, Cam Connor. Even Gilles Lupien. Try to find a Bouchard fight on Youtube. The only one you can find is against Jonathan.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.