HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pacioretty 39pts in 43gp

Old
04-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Emanresu Wen

vCash: 500
Pacioretty 39pts in 43gp

I didn't follow individual stats closely this year, so you can guess that this one blew me away when I checked it out earlier. This would translate to 75 points in a full season.

That being said, I really thought Pacioretty had a much weaker season compared to last year, I didn't even think that he was close to 1 point per game.

Granted, last year goals scored represented a much higher proportion

2011-12: 33 + 32 = 65pts in 79gp, for .823 ppg and .418 gpg
2012-13: 15 + 24 = 39pts in 43gp, for .907 ppg and .349 gpg

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Coldplay
Courage

The numbers don't do him justice - he's been invisible much of this year, save for some hot stretches.

Not even about proportions, he just hasn't been as dominant out there. Gallagher is the one who has picked up most of the slack on his line all year.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:34 AM
charlie

vCash: 358
Yeah his point production hasnt given his game justice.
I want to see him hit more. We need his power forward stats more.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
The numbers don't do him justice - he's been invisible much of this year, save for some hot stretches.

Not even about proportions, he just hasn't been as dominant out there. Gallagher is the one who has picked up most of the slack on his line all year.
He definitely has been invisible for extended stretches this year but I thought he was really good last night. Hopefully that the Pac we see going into the playoffs!

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:36 AM
DenverHabsFan

Amazing how many lazy passes/goals he gets without working hard at all. He can thank Gallagher for a lot of those points. Imagine what he could do if he put a more consistent effort.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Lshap

Pacioretty scores in bunches, and because it was a short season he only had a couple of those scoring 'bunches'. If you travelled out of town for the wrong two weeks you could have missed almost every one of his goals.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He definitely has been invisible for extended stretches this year but I thought he was really good last night. Hopefully that the Pac we see going into the playoffs!
Agreed. He needs to play with that edge...more like Cole.

Seriously though, his physical game has slowly evaporated, he needs to get back to playing like he did when he came up. Too much perimeter play.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
WakeUpNHL

Maxpac's numbers are quite good considering his center, Desharnais, has played like crap for most of the year. Maxpac and Gally have had to create scoring chances despite the atrocious play of Desharnais.

Max will be a point a game player when he gets a real NHL center to play with.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:41 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Agreed. He needs to play with that edge...more like Cole.

Seriously though, his physical game has slowly evaporated, he needs to get back to playing like he did when he came up. Too much perimeter play.
Good point. He's been less physical since the Letang incident where he got suspended. He needs to do more of that and avoid that the head be the primary point of contact.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Maxpac's numbers are quite good considering his center, Desharnais, has played like crap for most of the year. Maxpac and Gally have had to create scoring chances despite the atrocious play of Desharnais.

Max will be a point a game player when he gets a real NHL center to play with.
So you're giving him a free pass for an inconsistent effort, little drive, spotty physical presence this season because of Desharnais?

Of course.

Patches needs to look in the mirror before at the faceoff circle. Last I checked he had a great year lat year playing with Desharnais, a real NHL center.

Old
04-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Nicko999

Patches has been really good this year.

He played with DD for Christ Sakes... granted, he has missed a lot of chances but how many times have we seen DD make a bad pass or lose a battle along the board?
This has forced Patches to start passing more because DD who should be the playmaker for Patches isn't playing well.

The only reason he is criticized is because you guys are obsessed with physical play. He is still 4th among forwards in hits (Prust, Eller and Moen are ahead).

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

I'm not sure why people think he's a powerforward. Its never been his game. He's been solid this year, but he needs another physical linemate to maintain control in the offensive zone. He'sideally the trailer on his line. Since DD has struggled to control the puck and Gallagher is primarily a finisher in the mold of a young Gionta, he has to do a lot of the work on his line.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:13 AM
FrankMTL

Pacioretty hasn't had a dominant year, but he's had a good year. Yes he hasn't dominated as much as we wanted, and he missed a few chances, but we pay him to score points and he's done that. He plays a smarter game now than he has the first couple of years. Hopefully next year he puts it all together and becomes that powerful first line winger that drives the net like we all want.

FrankMTL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Agreed,maybe it's because I just expect too much and wished he played more of a power forward game. Last night was watching the game and 2 seconds before he scored I told my wife he needs to WTFU and of course he scored and he told me to shut up

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:30 AM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

Anyone saying Pacioretty is not having a good season need to take their heads out of their ass. What exactly would you expect out of this guy at this point?

He's a big, powerful sniper who can be downright dominant at times and is playing a really underrated game where he's always at the right place at the right time. Might not be an all-out, grinding and pugnacious type of power forward, but he's very hard to knock off the puck once he has it.

As for molding his game to Cole's... yeah. Cole is a one-move player. Pacioretty is much more complete, can score goals in many, many different ways, and can set up goals beautifully.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Anyone saying Pacioretty is not having a good season need to take their heads out of their ass. What exactly would you expect out of this guy at this point?

He's a big, powerful sniper who can be downright dominant at times and is playing a really underrated game where he's always at the right place at the right time. Might not be an all-out, grinding and pugnacious type of power forward, but he's very hard to knock off the puck once he has it.

As for molding his game to Cole's... yeah. Cole is a one-move player. Pacioretty is much more complete, can score goals in many, many different ways, and can set up goals beautifully.
Spot on!
Max has had to create his own chances all year, no help at all from his undersized center DD. Can't wait to see Max playing with his eventual center Chuckie... it should bring Max to the next level.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:55 AM
24get

ESP is nearly same pace as last year. He has improved PPP.
Top ESP producers are: MaxPac, Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher and Desharnais.
DD is the oldest one at 26!

Three years ago, it was: Plek, Gomez, Cammellari, Gionta and AK.
AK was the youngest one at 27.

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Uber Coca

Pacioretty's racking the points but he's been pretty bad this year. I don't know what happened between last year and this year, but his hockey sense must be at a all-time low. Perhaps he's nervous with the puck, but he's been shooting the puck from bad angles so much that I question his abilities to create plays or make a dangerous pass.

Gallagher has been carrying this line. Both Desharnais and Pacioretty need to step up. And they've been working hard, they're just really bad right now in making plays.

Uber Coca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Alexdaman

The problem with that line isn't because DD is too small or can't control the puck. It's because DD always passes and never shoots he's really predictable to counter for other teams, they simply have to break his passing lanes and the work is done.

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Playing with an underperforming DD on a misfiring powerplay does that to you. He's by far our best winger and hopefully his consistency issues get hammered out - he has all the tools to be a regular 70pt winger.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:47 AM
compile

vCash: 611
Is he can stop shooting from horrible angles 40 times a shift he'd be a much better player imo

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Sorinth

My take on it is that last year Cole would get the puck and skate up ice as fast as he could. MaxPac would skate with him which meant he would hit the blue line at full speed. This year he doesn't have someone that can skate with him so the play moves up ice much slower and so he's not crossing the blue line at full speed which makes driving the net much harder.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Habtchum*

He had all kinds of small injuries throughout the season. Great to see that he produced so much. Plus, he is possibly the #1 priority (with Subban) on opponents game plans.

I would play him with DD and Bourque.

There is not really a #1 line on that team. We have three #2 lines + a 4th line.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
So you're giving him a free pass for an inconsistent effort, little drive, spotty physical presence this season because of Desharnais?

Of course.

Patches needs to look in the mirror before at the faceoff circle. Last I checked he had a great year lat year playing with Desharnais, a real NHL center.
I'd give him a pass because he produces offense no matter if he's playing well or poorly. He's surprisingly under-appreciated. He's not a superstar.

For someone deemed 'inconsistent' he's easily the most consistent forward production wise on the team: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...22013&view=log
Significantly improved that aspect over last season.

He has more than 10+ more points than his regular linemates in less games...kinda a joke to suggest he's a problem.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 04-26-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'd give him a pass because he produces offense no matter if he's playing well or poorly. He's surprisingly under-appreciated.
I've always liked Patches, I don't have an axe to grind with him. But he's been far too frustrating this year for my like. He's producing, but it isn't pretty most nights.