HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #18 -

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
... he's 30. He is who he is. Expecting him to change is just asking to be disappointed
Cutler had no problem spreading the ball around in Denver. He had Marshall then as well... in addition to a competent OC and line.
There are a lot of faults of his you can focus on, but tunnel vision isn't one of them. If Marshall is your only weapon, then that's what you use. Last year that was the case for a number of reasons.

Old
08-20-2013, 01:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

...first year in Chicago with what will be hopefull an average OL.

Webb got beat by a 5th round pick. We have 4 new starters and new coaching. It wouldn't be a surprise if Cutty is different than before

Old
08-20-2013, 01:59 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Cutler had no problem spreading the ball around in Denver. He had Marshall then as well... in addition to a competent OC and line.
There are a lot of faults of his you can focus on, but tunnel vision isn't one of them. If Marshall is your only weapon, then that's what you use. Last year that was the case for a number of reasons.
His best season in Denver, he was still a TO machine who didn't throw nearly enough td passes to justify them...It's time bears fans come to the realization that just because he's the most "talented" qb we've had in our lifetimes doesn't mean he's worth investing in. He's just not that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
...first year in Chicago with what will be hopefull an average OL.

Webb got beat by a 5th round pick. We have 4 new starters and new coaching. It wouldn't be a surprise if Cutty is different than before
I'll be shocked if he's a top 10 qb at season's end.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
His best season in Denver, he was still a TO machine who didn't throw nearly enough td passes to justify them...It's time bears fans come to the realization that just because he's the most "talented" qb we've had in our lifetimes doesn't mean he's worth investing in. He's just not that good.
Thought we were talking about tunnel vision, not making unrelated blanket statements. If it's the latter then I'll go ahead and step out now. It'd be akin to talking to zac about Seabrook, Ike about Stalberg, BWC about McClellin, etc.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:48 AM
madgoat33

Not really. Cutler has done nothing in his career to justify anyone having faith in his ability not to consistently make mistakes. You can delude yourselves in to believing that this is the year he finally "puts it all together" and takes advantage of his talent. I on the other hand, will take the pragmatic approach and count on him throwing for around 4000yards with ~25tds and ~17ints. Upper echelon qbs aren't great based on talent alone, the exhibit the ability to read defenses, adjust to what they see and make the correct decision. And inn cutler's 7 years in the league he's never once shown any ability to consistently do that.

Old
08-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I'm out of this too if it's about Cutty sucks while you pimp Lions players that do the exact same thing you critize Cutler for...

Cutty has the tools, he will throw picks this year too and with a Rookie right side of the line with Garza as Center, this will surprise nobody. His only target that is worth anything is Marshall and hopefully MBennett. Other than that he hasn't had a coach or WR or OL to work with here. It's still strange that you don't know what Cutler will show up and how all will work.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Only three teams have won the Super Bowl with a 100 catch WR. So for us to get to that next level, we'll likely have to see Jay hitting some other targets more consistently. But, that seems kinda obvious.
While that's an interesting stat, correlation does not imply causation. That is one of those things that broadcasters toss out there while being neat, doesn't have any bearing on actual outcomes. Fact is 100 catch receivers are rare in their own right, which is why the stat is as it is.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Recoil

Quote:
... he's 30. He is who he is. Expecting him to change is just asking to be disappointed
There have been a few QBs who really stepped up their game when they hit 30, so it isn't like development is over. Drew Brees says hi BTW. Still, I'm not as such we are talking as much about his development, but actually playing in the same system for more than a year so he can be 100% comfortable in it and master it. If he stays with the Bears, he will get better over the next two years because of that alone, nevermind his mechanics, tunnel vision or decision making.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Not really. Cutler has done nothing in his career to justify anyone having faith in his ability not to consistently make mistakes. You can delude yourselves in to believing that this is the year he finally "puts it all together" and takes advantage of his talent. I on the other hand, will take the pragmatic approach and count on him throwing for around 4000yards with ~25tds and ~17ints. Upper echelon qbs aren't great based on talent alone, the exhibit the ability to read defenses, adjust to what they see and make the correct decision. And inn cutler's 7 years in the league he's never once shown any ability to consistently do that.
I agree with you...I'm very skeptical about Cutler. He just always seems to have an excuse or 3 for why he makes poor throws, decisions, etc. Many times we've seen the offensive line get blamed - even in some cases where they actually played ok (yes I know they usually played like crap, but not always).

That all said - maybe I'm a fool, but I'm still hopeful that he can get some things together this season finally. Though my gut doubts he will ever get to that high level that many expect from him.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:09 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
The offense had a lot of holes the last few years. Now, the O-line should be better, he has a TE, no excuses.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The offense had a lot of holes the last few years. Now, the O-line should be better, he has a TE, no excuses.
I'm not sold on the O-Line yet, I think it will still be our weakest point. That being said, he does have a good TE, a solid/developing #2 WR, and as many other weapons as he has ever had. Enough that they should be able to overcome as much of the O-Line issues as possible.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Quote:
Former Chicago Bears first-round draft pick David Terrell was charged with felony manufacturing or delivery of cannabis and a misdemeanor count of battery, according to Chicago Police Department news affair officer John Mirabelli. Officers received a call of smoking marijuana on Friday afternoon and conducted an interview with Terrell, according to the police report. Cannabis scales and equipment to package were in plain view. At one point Terrell struck the hand of an officer and was taken into custody, according to the report. A second officer was taken to a hospital for medical attention after Terrell tried to resist arrest. ...Terrell was the No. 8 overall selection out of Michigan in 2001.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...charged-felony

C'mon dude. You go to a great football school like MI and are the 8th overall pick. Have a little pride and self respect.

PM Pierre Trudeau on Beliveau: "Rarely has the career of an athlete been so exemplary. By his courage, his sense of discipline and honour, his lively intelligence and finesse, his magnificent team spirit, Beliveau has given new prestige to hockey."
Old
08-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

I don't care about the weed, but it's never a good idea to hit a cop.

Old
08-20-2013, 09:50 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I'm out of this too if it's about Cutty sucks while you pimp Lions players that do the exact same thing you critize Cutler for...

Cutty has the tools, he will throw picks this year too and with a Rookie right side of the line with Garza as Center, this will surprise nobody. His only target that is worth anything is Marshall and hopefully MBennett. Other than that he hasn't had a coach or WR or OL to work with here. It's still strange that you don't know what Cutler will show up and how all will work.
Yea, ya know pointing out that stafford's best season dwarfs cutler's best while you all proclaim how much better cutler is clearly qualifies as "pimping" lions players. Oh, or linking to evidence that shows suh is a very good player when a few delusional bears fans try to claim otherwise.

Too bad objectivity is loathed so much around here that anytime we're talking about players on other teams if we dont say they suck, we're "pimping" them.

Old
08-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Yea, ya know pointing out that stafford's best season dwarfs cutler's best while you all proclaim how much better cutler is clearly qualifies as "pimping" lions players. Oh, or linking to evidence that shows suh is a very good player when a few delusional bears fans try to claim otherwise.

Too bad objectivity is loathed so much around here that anytime we're talking about players on other teams if we don't say they suck, we're "pimping" them.
Funny thing: I don't think Stafford is better than Cutler right now. Stafford has regressed IMO, and I think he will end the year below Cutler.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:21 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
I think you are the one with tunnel vision.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:41 PM
madgoat33

Care to actually make a rebuttal, or is your plan to just ad hom?

Old
08-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Care to actually make a rebuttal, or is your plan to just ad hom?
Why bother? There are plenty of rebuttals in this thread, and in thousands of other threads. Jay Cutler is the kind of QB where there is equal evidence for him being on the verge of Elite, but having reasons for not getting there, or being below average due to his own merits. There are valid points on BOTH SIDES and almost no one falls in the middle.

Why keep going round and round on this crap? Seriously? He will either play well this year with the system and weapons he has, and get an extension, or he won't and he will walk. The rest has been talked about to death so there's really no point in yet another Cutler debate.

I think we all know where you stand. We get it. Others don't feel the same way as you. Let's hope for the Bears sake that we are more correct than you are when this season is over.

Old
08-20-2013, 03:08 PM
digdug41982

What are the alternatives again?

Old
08-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

Cutler: Mad Goat :: Shea: BWC

Old
08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
digdug41982

My cousin is also one of those people who have never liked Cutler. I still can't get a straight answer out of him as far as who we would replace him with. More or less, draft and develop someone, but who, and how is this team ever going to be bad enough to get a top 2 or 3 pick?

Old
08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Illinihockey

I bet the Bears take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft next year.

Old
08-20-2013, 03:41 PM
digdug41982

We're overdue to pick one high and start developing him, no dispute there. Even if Cutler plays well enough, he is still injury prone and one big blow to the head from being done. However, I think you hold onto him until that guy you drafted has a few years experience under his belt and is ready to come in and help the team contend.

Old
08-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Kurtosis
RIP Clint

The Bears should just tank for Bridgewater.

Old
08-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
I bet the Bears take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft next year.
They should. There's no downside (assuming you land a good one).

Closed Thread