Notices

Alex Guptill signs with Dallas

Old
10-19-2013, 01:32 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

vCash: 500
Alex Guptill signs with Dallas

I'm a bit unfamiliar with Guptill, but I'm noticing his impressive numbers. Is he a guy that could sign early like Reilly Smith? Also, what is his potential with the organization?

Edit:

Quote:
Mark Edwards ‏@MarkEdwardsHP 57m

Another #Wolverine signed, Alex Guptill with @DallasStars - remember watching him shine with the Brampton Capitals. #OJHL #DallasStars

Last edited by MetalGodAOD*: 03-26-2014 at 11:20 AM.
oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2013, 01:54 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Sign early in the sense of leaving school before his senior season? I think the chances of that are quite high.

His potential could really be anything, from scoring winger to Glennie-like flame out.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2013, 04:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

From what I've heard, he's got the talent to make it in the NHL as a top-6 winger - it's his attitude that leaves much to be desired. He's been benched several times and seems to have had a couple run-ins with the coaching staff at Michigan.

I'm not sure why he gets so underrated everywhere, though. You can't even find but one play of his if you google his name.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
BigG44

Can we change this thread into his signing thread?

Here is the info I previously had on him in his draft year:

With the 77th overall pick, the Dallas Stars select, from Orangeville of the CCHL, forward Alexander Guptill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital Info
Born: March 5, 1992 in Burlington, Ontario
Height/Weight: 6-13/175 pounds
Position: Left wing
Shoots: Left
2009-10 Team: Orangeville (CCHL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankings
Central Scouting Final Ranking: 99th among North American Skaters
International Scouting Services: 164th overall
The Hockey News: Not Ranked
Red Line Report: 159th Overall
TSN: Not Ranked
McKeen's Hockey: Not Ranked
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009-10
Played for both Brampton and Orangeville in the Central Canadian Hockey League, registering 19 goals and 18 assists in 29 games. Missed time during the season due to a broken wrist. Had one assist in two playoff games with Orangeville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Background
Registered 64 points in 49 games with Brampton of the CCHL in 2008-09. Has been drafted by Waterloo of the USHL and is expected to attend Michigan beginning in 2011.
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...ve_on_day_two/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Johnston, Stars amateur scout
"Guptill is big and strong, one of the most talented guys that comes out of tier two. He has good hands. He's going to the University of Michigan. Alex really does not lack anything, he just needs to continue to play games. He was injured a bit last year."
Update: The injury was a broken wrist at the beginning of the season. That explans why he played in just 29 games (but still had 19 goals).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bernhardt
"He is a big winger with a lot of natural skill. He is a young guy and needs some time to develop but he will get that time at Michigan."
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...hts-on-guptill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bernhardt
"He's a very skilled guy. From what we could see he's got all the tools. He's still got some room to fill out and we think he will and will end up close to 200 pounds. He's got a long, fluid stride. He just kept getting better from the start of the year. He's going to Michigan University, so he's got a good development program ahead of him."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Jackson
"He's a big guy that has a real good foundation of skating, skill, offensive touch. This kid is an impressive young player."
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Burstyn, McKeen's Hockey
"He brings a lot of speed to his game and is dynamic with the puck when he has room .. he tends to operate too much on the perimeter and does not force plays up the middle or drive wide to the goal .. at this point, he relies more on his first-step quickness and offensive instincts to get into position to exercise his hair-trigger release. ... Guptill has a great second and third gear, however he does not commit himself to the defensive zone .. physically he is rather slender, at 6-foot-2, he offers good height but there is not much to his frame, therefore he does not initiate many hits and if he does he rarely dislodges a player off the puck .. Guptill is a natural finisher who relies heavily on others to get him the puck .. his speed allows him to get behind defenders and creates many of his opportunities .. his game should mature under coach Berenson, as he will be more accountable for his actions."
Quote:
Originally Posted by International Scouting Services
"Good offensive upside... Nice mix of speed and skill... Very good skater... Good shot, can score... Good size/solid frame... Protects the puck well... Needs to improve defensive game... "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Line Report
"Jr. A scoring machine is rather one dimensional."
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...ve_on_day_two/

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:51 AM
BigG44

Man ... re-reading those scouting reports ... specifically the ones from Dallas scouts ... I'm beyond jazzed.

Speed and skill .. this dude is a Nill dream it would seem like.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Bluesoma

A thought came into my head. Do you think he'd jump straight to Dallas with how highly touted he is? Sort of like Reilly Smith did?

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:56 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
A thought came into my head. Do you think he'd jump straight to Dallas with how highly touted he is? Sort of like Reilly Smith did?
I'd say no, but he seems like a very reasonable Cole replacement after next year.

If they traded Cole ... maybe, but I still think he gets at least a year in the AHL.

Old
03-26-2014, 11:00 AM
piqued

Quote:
Very doubtful. Promoting R. Smith immediately to the NHL and burning an ELC year was the cost of doing business with a college player who had a decent amount of leverage, leverage Guptill does not possess. Also we're talking about a prospect with possible entitlement and/or motivation issues. Skipping over developmental steps is not the way to go here.

Old
03-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Bluesoma

Understandable then.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:03 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Not a surprise but good for him and the organization. He needs to be in a pro environment. Can't wait to see how he does in Austin. He probably needs a full year there but this playoff run can only help his game.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:08 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
He probably needs a full year there but this playoff run can only help his game.
My hopes were so high last year, and the playoff run was a total dud. I even paid for the damn package to watch games. You have to buy two rounds, and they didn't even make it out of the first round.

I'm trying to be a bit more cautious, but this team looks even better than last year even with losing Sceviour. It's hard to not imagine a deep run with this group, and that would be fantastic for several key prospects ... especially guys like Ritchie, McKenzie and Nemeth who appear to be either NHL ready or right on the cusp.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Bluesoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
My hopes were so high last year, and the playoff run was a total dud. I even paid for the damn package to watch games. You have to buy two rounds, and they didn't even make it out of the first round.

I'm trying to be a bit more cautious, but this team looks even better than last year even with losing Sceviour. It's hard to not imagine a deep run with this group, and that would be fantastic for several key prospects ... especially guys like Ritchie, McKenzie and Nemeth who appear to be either NHL ready or right on the cusp.
AHL playoffs last year? We made it out of the first round beating the Admirals. We lost in the second to OKC. For this year we're hoping to avoid OKC.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
BigG44

Quote:
AHL playoffs last year? We made it out of the first round beating the Admirals. We lost in the second to OKC. For this year we're hoping to avoid OKC.
I remembered that incorrectly in a very bad way then. I knew the loss was to OKC though, and it really freaking sucked. I seriously can't remember a damn thing about the Admirals series. I might be losing my mind. I know I watched the damn thing because I remember being pissed about having to buy two rounds with no guarantee they advance.

That freaks me out a bit ... there's seriously a hole where something about that round should be.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Bluesoma

Quote:
I remembered that incorrectly in a very bad way then. I knew the loss was to OKC though, and it really freaking sucked. I seriously can't remember a damn thing about the Admirals series. I might be losing my mind. I know I watched the damn thing because I remember being pissed about having to buy two rounds with no guarantee they advance.

That freaks me out a bit ... there's seriously a hole where something about that round should be.
You might have drinked it out of your mind. I think it was a combination of it only be a 5 game series instead of 7 and Texas winning it 3-1 and then OKC just utterly destroying us in the second round.

Old
03-26-2014, 12:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Not a chance. He doesn't come into the herd with the best of reputations about his attitude/off-ice behavior. Same as Glennie, this guy is going to need to be put through the paces in the AHL.

I'm happy he's getting his pro career started. I think it will be good for him.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

I watched a couple of Michigan's games last year and he looked very talented. This year all I caught was the last few minutes of the 2nd overtime of Michigan's loss in the Big 10 tournament, and he looked like a guy who was playing in his 5th period of hockey that day. He also seems to have a lot of Twitter interaction with John Buccigross. So there's that...

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Bluesoma

Quote:
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge 33m
Dallas Stars could announce the signing of prospect Alex Guptill later today. Guptill will join Texas Stars on an amateur tryout contract
Wonder when he'll arrive in CPC.

Edit: http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=711517 finally official

Last edited by Bluesoma: 03-27-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old
03-27-2014, 12:40 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 955
David Malinowski ‏@dmmm14 17 min
“Red Berenson and the rest of Michigan’s coaching staff deserve a lot of credit for preparing Alex for the next level of hockey." -Jim Nill

David Malinowski ‏@dmmm14 17 min
“He’s developed into a consistent scorer with a quick, hard shot and will continue to develop those skills in the years ahead.” -Jim Nill

David Malinowski ‏@dmmm14 15 min
Jim Nill has probably seen a lot of Guptill, especially during last year's lockout where the Wings front office attended each UM home game.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Finishing classes before joining.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Bluesoma

So late April then. Classes end Apirl 22nd according to the UMich site.

Yes I totally googled it.

Old
03-27-2014, 01:07 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I'm excited to see how he does. We got some nice prospects on the wing that can make the big club next year ..

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 01:36 PM
BigG44

Quote:
So late April then. Classes end Apirl 22nd according to the UMich site.

Yes I totally googled it.
Oh bless you, you beautiful *******. I felt like a such a freaking stalker, and I was just about to post that. So glad you took it there as well. Let me take it to the next creepy level though.

Classes end on the 22nd, but exams run from 4/24-5/1.

Old
03-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Bluesoma

Quote:
Oh bless you, you beautiful *******. I felt like a such a freaking stalker, and I was just about to post that. So glad you took it there as well. Let me take it to the next creepy level though.

Classes end on the 22nd, but exams run from 4/24-5/1.
HAHAHA I was actually tempted to link that page. In fact I had the urge to search to see if he was graduating as a junior and to factor in that the ceremonies are in May.

Old
03-27-2014, 01:57 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

If he's not staying for his degree, why would he stay till the end of the semester??

oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 02:01 PM
piqued

So it's easier to finish his degree later?