HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Edmonton police reinforcements have arrived :

That and 1200 soldiers from Edmonton Garrison. Let's get dirty and save our southern neighbours!

Old
06-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Well crap. That certainly sucks for Flames fans.
Would Rexal or the new downtown location be vulnerable to something like this if this kind of weather hit Edmonton? If so, I'd had to see those cup replicas floating away...

A little back story, I went out last night around 7 to go see Man of Steel (pretty good), get out around 9:30 with the sky considerably darker than usual and the parking lot wet but not flooded (Gf and i did step in a big puddle though unexpectedly and when we both looked down in surprise we bumped out heads together rather hard, unimportant but was very funny at the time, just throwing that in to keep the mood light ) . Turn my phone back on and it goes crazy with messages from the family asking where I was, and saying that my brother as his wife had to evacuate and were heading over to our place.

Anyways got home safe with no issues and got a glimpse of the massive flooding in the bowness area from the cliff overlooking bowmont park, looked like a lake more than a community. I haven't gone out to look again since but it's been raining hard all morning so I can only assume it's raising higher still. I'm lucky I live in an area that's pretty well flood proof but just looking at the pictures of some areas and the forecast which says the rain won't be letting up for a few days it's starting to look like we're getting a slightly toned down version of hurricane sandy minus the wind.

What's Edmonton like right now? Are you guys missing it completely?

Old
06-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
That and 1200 soldiers from Edmonton Garrison. Let's get dirty and save our southern neighbours!
As a Calgarian, thanks. Big time.
Remember, some of us love the oilers just as much as you guys haha.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:08 PM
dem

Apparently the Dome is flooded up to the 14th row now.

Basically at ground level. Wow.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:10 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Damn... This is tragic. I'm very thankful I live in the south.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Fuhryous

This isn't meant to sound rude or make light of the situation, but with the Saddledome flooding, I'm sure this will help them get some Federal or Provincial money for a new barn that Edmonton was denied getting.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Dabomb

HOLY crap.. 14th row in the saddledome? How high is that? This flood cleanup is gonna be HUGE

Old
06-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
HOLY crap.. 14th row in the saddledome? How high is that? This flood cleanup is gonna be HUGE
Some Calgarians say it's the ground level. The suites are on that level.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Apparently the Dome is flooded up to the 14th row now.

Basically at ground level. Wow.
Holy man! That is unbelievable.

On the bright side, it makes the push for a new arena easier hopefully.

I have to say I am very shocked to see the images in Calgary and Southern Alberta. Truly nothing I ever thought could happen to this extent.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:21 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
The marking in this picture shows row 10, so even higher.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
Some Calgarians say it's the ground level. The suites are on that level.
Yep that's essentially the entire lower bowl up to the luxury suites.
My dad the fLames fan has season tickets on row 10, wonder how that will be effected. Probably just put in new seats I guess.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
People out a lot of money, hopefully they some kinda flood relief coming up from the government.

I cant believe you cant get flood insurance
You cannot get insurance on an historical flood plain. Simple as that for the most part. It's the same deal for those down in the Edmonton River Valley.

Last edited by Seedling: 06-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old
06-21-2013, 12:27 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Jesus

Old
06-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Fuhryous

There is talk the Stampede will either be scaled down or cancelled altogether for this year. The article I read said it was too early to make that call but it is a possibility.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:35 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
Would Rexal or the new downtown location be vulnerable to something like this if this kind of weather hit Edmonton? If so, I'd had to see those cup replicas floating away...

A little back story, I went out last night around 7 to go see Man of Steel (pretty good), get out around 9:30 with the sky considerably darker than usual and the parking lot wet but not flooded (Gf and i did step in a big puddle though unexpectedly and when we both looked down in surprise we bumped out heads together rather hard, unimportant but was very funny at the time, just throwing that in to keep the mood light ) . Turn my phone back on and it goes crazy with messages from the family asking where I was, and saying that my brother as his wife had to evacuate and were heading over to our place.

Anyways got home safe with no issues and got a glimpse of the massive flooding in the bowness area from the cliff overlooking bowmont park, looked like a lake more than a community. I haven't gone out to look again since but it's been raining hard all morning so I can only assume it's raising higher still. I'm lucky I live in an area that's pretty well flood proof but just looking at the pictures of some areas and the forecast which says the rain won't be letting up for a few days it's starting to look like we're getting a slightly toned down version of hurricane sandy minus the wind.

Edmonton is missing this entirely. It's currently sunny and 20, on and off showers the last few days.

In terms of arenas, the new DT would be safe from this type of flooding, as Edmonton's downtown sits atop the river valley, not right on the river like Calgary. Plus, with the arena being built above-ground (no sunken bowl like in Calgary), it would be even less of a risk.

Rexall would likely be safe as well, as I don't believe there's many creeks in the area. Would be prone (like any building) to local flooding, I guess, but nothing to this extent.

Much of Edmonton would do ok in an event like this (in my uneducated opinion), the worst hit would be places like Rossdale, Riverdale, Cloverbar. Otherwise we have quite high banks in Edmonton, luckily.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:37 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post

Edmonton is fine. Sunny and nice out today. Yesterday a few showers.

The amount of water it would take for the river here to reach the down town arena site (or Rexall) would be absolutely massive. If that ever happened Edmonton would effectively be washed away. The lower areas on the flood plains could be at risk but most of Edmonton is protected by very high banks on the river.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:37 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Just got a call from a friend who said the entire stampede grounds are under water.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Eddy is safe and sound.

Rexall is in the back... Somewhere.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:45 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post

Much of Edmonton would do ok in an event like this (in my uneducated opinion), the worst hit would be places like Rossdale, Riverdale, Cloverbar. Otherwise we have quite high banks in Edmonton, luckily.
That's what I was thinking too, uneducated as well but the banks seem very very high which should mitigate a lot of the damage.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Good to hear you guys are safe ann sound up there, I come up to Edmonton 4-5 times a year for track meets, have to say it's a ridiculously underrated city.

Here's a live feed from global news, some pretty crazy stuff.
http://globalnews.ca/news/657546/cit...mergency-plan/

Old
06-21-2013, 12:49 PM
schutney

I got evacuated yesterday, live right downtown. Got on the QE2 and drove back to Edmonton. Its ugly down there though. The east end of downtown with all the new towers are having some serious flooding.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Ser Woof
Pull the trigger

vCash: 86
The only way the North Saskatchewan would be a threat to anything other than our few scattered low lying communities in Edmonton is if the entire Saskatchewan glacier melted at once.

We also don't have tributaries like the Elbow to really worry about. Tho I guess a few of our creeks would pose an issue. Only time Edmonton has to worry about flooding is when we get a major flash flood. Had a couple of those in the past decade or so.

Last edited by Ser Woof: 06-21-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old
06-21-2013, 12:55 PM
tv14

I can't believe what is happening in Canmore, Calgary, High River and all across Southern Alberta. Such a huge magnitude. Makes me really glad and fortunate that Lethbridge sits 100m above the river valley, although it doesn't eliminate damage, it really minimizes it here. Stay safe everyone!

Old
06-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
This isn't meant to sound rude or make light of the situation, but with the Saddledome flooding, I'm sure this will help them get some Federal or Provincial money for a new barn that Edmonton was denied getting.
That was my exact thought. the flooding in southern alberta sucks, but I think it will help them jump past Edmonton in regards to getting a new rink.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:13 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
Money to fix up Saddledome is one thing. Money for a new arena for only Calgary from the province and feds would piss everyone in Edmonton off badly.

Closed Thread