HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 01:24 PM
GMofOilers

vCash: 500
Wow this is escalating very quickly, getting worse by the minute.

Manditory evac now for all of down town Calgary. wow!

Old
06-21-2013, 01:33 PM
SephF
See you next time

I can't believe my work is operating their Calgary location... let them go home... jesus.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Soundwave

I'm just a stone's throw away from downtown Calgary, there's a lot of traffic on the outskirts of downtown surprisingly. It's still raining a lot as I type this. Hopefully we aren't forced to evacuate.

It was kinda neat turning on Calgary radio here (770 AM) and hearing that it was Edmonton's CHED and Oilers Now instead, lol (though they're providing updates on the flood).

Old
06-21-2013, 01:50 PM
fysloc

vCash: 50
Yeah I can see them giving money to fix the saddledome, but if it escaltes into building a new arena entirely, they are out, especially after saying no to Edmonton for so long.

If they did give Calgary money for a new arena, then Edmonton would suddenly go from pretty conservative to down right liberal and the government would be toppled. In addition, Edmonton would prob stop following any provincial ministers advice/suggestions/laws and do their own thing (like CRL going ahead withuot provincial approval). Basically become a rogue city.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:54 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

With the stampede coming up in a couple weeks and the flames season in a couple months I wonder what's going to happen. The saddledome might not be ready to go before tc.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:57 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Water is up to row 10 in the saddledome, carzy, mostly everything destroyed in there.
Wow, that's crazy. Hope everybody in Cowtown is safe.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

So you are aware, apparently a Calgarian said the Jumbotron was lowered a few days ago for some maintenance and repair. It got affected by the flooding too...

Old
06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
With the stampede coming up in a couple weeks and the flames season in a couple months I wonder what's going to happen. The saddledome might not be ready to go before tc.
It's going to take a hell of a lot of work to get the Stampede off on time.

As for the Arena, Edmonton is going to look pretty petty if they cry about Calgary getting an arena built after the Saddledome gets destroyed in a natural disaster.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:09 PM
fysloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post

As for the Arena, Edmonton is going to look pretty petty if they cry about Calgary getting an arena built after the Saddledome gets destroyed in a natural disaster.
So really, someone needs to build a weather machine and make a localized flood inside rexall place and nothing else or have a bunch of lightning strikes to set it on fire.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
So really, someone needs to build a weather machine and make a localized flood inside rexall place and nothing else or have a bunch of lightning strikes to set it on fire.
I'll get started right away. But, while I have the knowledge and the tech, I need the funding.

I'll accept donations via credit card, cheques, whatever. None of this restrictive ******** that other scam- ...er, entrepreneurs have.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-21-2013, 02:13 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
So you are aware, apparently a Calgarian said the Jumbotron was lowered a few days ago for some maintenance and repair. It got affected by the flooding too...
Wow, I certainly hope that isn't the case. They just spent millions on a new jumbotron I believe.

Quote:

The Saddledome is hardly destroyed. I am sure it can be drained, cleaned and repaired. If the country or province wanted to help with that, no one would have an issue. But helping them with a new arena after repeatedly shutting down Edmonton is something else entirely.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Matador

The city will rally around the Stampede. I would be surprised if it got scaled back.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:18 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
The city will rally around the Stampede. I would be surprised if it got scaled back.
The events at the saddledome might be cancelled, but the rest will go on. The water will disappear pretty fast, one this thing peaks, and the concrete dries pretty fast

Old
06-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Wow, I certainly hope that isn't the case. They just spent millions on a new jumbotron I believe.

The Saddledome is hardly destroyed. I am sure it can be drained, cleaned and repaired. If the country or province wanted to help with that, no one would have an issue. But helping them with a new arena after repeatedly shutting down Edmonton is something else entirely.
Eric Francis tweeted something about how the Flames were about to unveil plans for a new arena. I don't know what the timetable is like, but if they plan on building soon then I doubt they'll do more than the minimum to repair the Dome. You're right though, the building is far from unfixable. If the Superdome could be fixed after what happened there then I would the Saddledome can be repaired too.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:30 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I have no doubt Calgarians and Albertans will all join together and help with the clean up from the aftermath of all this flooding. This is a widespread disaster throughout southern Alberta and no doubt, just like with flooding and other disasters in the past... it often brings out the best in people and unites people.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:

No kidding. Saddledome wont be close to been destroyed. It wont even take that much time to put it back into shape.
Insofar as the jumbotron, I don't buy it. You dint think they would then raise it if they thought there was going to be flooding in there?

Old
06-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Eric Francis tweeted something about how the Flames were about to unveil plans for a new arena. I don't know what the timetable is like, but if they plan on building soon then I doubt they'll do more than the minimum to repair the Dome. You're right though, the building is far from unfixable. If the Superdome could be fixed after what happened there then I would the Saddledome can be repaired too.
Sure it can be fixed but really are they going to bother with a full repair when they are looking at replacing it anyway?

I think anybody who stands up and complains that they are getting money that Edmonton didnt get after this is going to look foolish and bringing it up here while the flood is going on kind of looks bad on us.

There will be some sort of disaster relief fund and we have to trust the government makes sure it gets to those who need it most and isnt squandered.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:44 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Money to fix up Saddledome is one thing. Money for a new arena for only Calgary from the province and feds would piss everyone in Edmonton off badly.
As a resident from Edmonton, I'd rather see money provided to get the building functional and put whatever remaining funds to a new arena. Don't see the point in getting an arena they plan on replacing back to where it was.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Sure it can be fixed but really are they going to bother with a full repair when they are looking at replacing it anyway?

I think anybody who stands up and complains that they are getting money that Edmonton didnt get after this is going to look foolish and bringing it up here while the flood is going on kind of looks bad on us.

There will be some sort of disaster relief fund and we have to trust the government makes sure it gets to those who need it most and isnt squandered.
Agree 100%.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
That's the thing though, 10 months a year that river is a dry creek bed. Heck they showed a video of it from 2 days a go and it was a gentle stream. Sure this kind of thing happens but the cycle for an event like this is a lot longer than people tend to remember. Cant blame people for moving into an area that has generally been stable for more than a generation.
This just isn't the case though. I've known Canmore inside out for decades. I had property there to, But sensibly located property. Much of the new suburbs are built in fringe areas that are butt up to rivers, rock faces, scree slopes. I happen to know of some blocks in Canmore that were built right up on a scree slope which is btw a natural avalanche path and they had to get cranes and earth movers to clear out the areas to build houses in these locations. If this makes sense to anybody it doesn't to me. The zoning of some lots is beyond the pale. I sure don't want a house in a location where a one ton boulder can fall on it. A lot of these lots are relatively new in Canmore. Canmore in effect has quadrupled in size and population to what it was even 30yrs ago.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:50 PM
GMofOilers

lol at the people that are worried about Calgary getting a new arena out of this at this state of emergency. Wow!

Try thinking about the people

Old
06-21-2013, 02:50 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
As a resident from Edmonton, I'd rather see money provided to get the building functional and put whatever remaining funds to a new arena. Don't see the point in getting an arena they plan on replacing back to where it was.
AFAIK the plan isn't to destroy the Saddledome. If Calgary gets a new arena, I am sure they will keep some things going at the Saddledome. Plus it needs to be usable until the new arena is constructed.

But this is getting too far off topic.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:52 PM
schutney

Ya who cares about the arena right now.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
AFAIK the plan isn't to destroy the Saddledome. If Calgary gets a new arena, I am sure they will keep some things going at the Saddledome. Plus it needs to be usable until the new arena is constructed.

Sure, but instead of replacing floorings/walls/etc things you just rip out old materials and clean up. Do what you need to in order to make it liveable. Kinda what my parents had to do after their out water tanked went on them on and left them with a flooded basement. Rip out everything so it doesn't become a health hazard and repair when you can afford to. Or in this case put towards new building.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:53 PM
dem

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the plan is to flatten the saddledome.

In other news..

Calgary Zoo

Closed Thread