HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 01:36 PM
doulos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
if you look under the #abflood hashtag this morning there are tons of pictures of receipts and items that are marked up to ridiculous prices.

50$ for a 24 pack of water. 60$ for a fruit tray. Hope these businesses suffer the consequences.
Those businesses are just charging what the new market value is for those products and ensuring that supply is available for those that really need it. By selling things at below market value you only end up with people buying more than they need and ensuring that greater numbers of people actually go without things that they need and would be willing to pay for.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
I dont want to go more into this and kinda go on a tangent.

But this just shows Canada isn't much different at the end of the day we are all alike!
What? Not that I completely disagree with the belief we're all alike, but looting in Calgary shows only that in a city of a million people, there are some *******s. Not exactly groundbreaking...

Old
06-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Those businesses are just charging what the new market value is for those products and ensuring that supply is available for those that really need it. By selling things at below market value you only end up with people buying more than they need and ensuring that greater numbers of people actually go without things that they need and would be willing to pay for.
Doesn't change the fact that the business owners are ******. They're not overcharging based on economic theories of scarcity, they're overcharging because they can make more money off scared people with little choice.

The fact that their gouging may in some way have unintended positive consequences doesn't absolve them, and I hope their consumers remember their actions in the future.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:27 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Profiteering during a state of emergency is illegal, whether you agree with it or not.

Calgarys mayor and police chief even did a presser saying that exact thing.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:54 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca/

I'm sure most know of that site... but hey if it might help anyone out there get the word out on current or future emergency warnings... can't hurt to post it.

Most current alert:

"Description:
Travers Reservoir has been opened and higher than historic high flows are now occurring in the Little Bow River in the County of Lethbridge. The current flow rate of water being released from the Travers Dam is 51 m3/second. Alberta Environment & Bow River Irrigation District are planning to at least double the release rate Saturday morning.

It is expected that all bridge crossings on Highways 522, 845, 25, Cameron Crossing at TWP RD 11-2, Peacock Crossing TWP RD 13-0, and the Sundial Crossing RR 19-5/20-0 will be washed out.

Water flow in the Oldman River as of 11:00 pm was 2600 cubic meters/second and steadily climbing. The County of Lethbridge EOC is monitoring it closely. All evacuations are still in place."

Old
06-22-2013, 02:57 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Profiteering during a state of emergency is illegal, whether you agree with it or not.

Calgarys mayor and police chief even did a presser saying that exact thing.
It might be illegal, but that's merely a comment on the stupidity of people who make those laws. Price gouging probably has the effect of saving lives in emergency situations, but good luck trying to actually use logic in emergencies.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:58 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
It might be illegal, but that's merely a comment on the stupidity of people who make those laws. Price gouging probably has the effect of saving lives in emergency situations, but good luck trying to actually use logic in emergencies.
On products like bags of ice though? Just seems really unnecessary, especially a situation like this which isn't expected to be long term.

You have a strong point though, and I partially agree.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:59 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Doesn't change the fact that the business owners are ******. They're not overcharging based on economic theories of scarcity, they're overcharging because they can make more money off scared people with little choice.

The fact that their gouging may in some way have unintended positive consequences doesn't absolve them, and I hope their consumers remember their actions in the future.
If people REALLY needed those products then they are willing to pay for it. If they don't, then they will merely laugh and move on. This is the exact way the market works all over the place and we never bat an eye at it, and then in situations like this people suddenly flip out like it's a crime. Funny stuff.

Old
doulos

Quote:
On products like bags of ice though? Just seems really unnecessary, especially a situation like this which isn't expected to be long term.
Why are people buying that ice then if it's so over-priced? If the stores were not able to sell it then the price would drop. Very basic market mechanics at work here.

Old
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
If people REALLY needed those products then they are willing to pay for it. If they don't, then they will merely laugh and move on. This is the exact way the market works all over the place and we never bat an eye at it, and then in situations like this people suddenly flip out like it's a crime. Funny stuff.
Because it literally is a crime...

Quote:
Why are people buying that ice then if it's so over-priced? If the stores were not able to sell it then the price would drop. Very basic market mechanics at work here.
I strongly doubt anyone is to be honest.

Like I said I partially agree with you, here's a good article arguing your side : http://mises.org/daily/1593/Price-Go...in-a-Hurricane

Old
06-22-2013, 03:02 PM
doulos

Quote:
Because it literally is a crime...

I strongly doubt anyone is to be honest.
Hah, yeah I guess it is a crime. But most people don't flip out over downloading music these days. There's an emotional element involved here.

I would be shocked if people are not buying the ice, otherwise why is the price so high? Any smart store owner is not going to let inventory sit there at a high price.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:04 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Hah, yeah I guess it is a crime. But most people don't flip out over downloading music these days. There's an emotional element involved here.

I would be shocked if people are not buying the ice, otherwise why is the price so high? Any smart store owner is not going to let inventory sit there at a high price.
Well considering the picture was taken hours after the state of emergency was announced it's hard to say how long it stayed like that, either way it's still greasy.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:05 PM
doulos

Quote:
Well considering the picture was taken hours after the state of emergency was announced it's hard to say how long it stayed like that, either way it's still greasy.
Fair enough. My immediate emotional reaction is to find it pretty slimy as well, but after thinking on it for a bit I guess I saw why it's actually a helpful thing.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:08 PM
Ghostbuster

More price gouging.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

I think in our society especially lately with the illegal activities of big corporations and banks and the media trying to ease our simple little minds telling us about a wonderful free market that keeps the world fair and is needed for the survival of our society has been burned into our brains that we actually believe such a notion exists. You might as well start believing in the tooth fairy because it makes more sense then the crap we are being peddled.

It only makes sense that so many people would defend such outrageous price gouging. To actually think that these businesses are doing this for the good of the city as well as a profit is vomit inducing. What happens to people that don't make enough money to not be able to afford things that should not cost an arm and a leg like a bag of ice. What's next, 40 bucks for a loaf of bread? This is not even as big of a disaster i there could be what happens if power is out in a city for a week or more?

How spoiled Canadians are to believe that 50 bucks for fruit tray is fine, i make good money whats the big deal.

Last edited by Oilersfanneedsdrink: 06-22-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old
06-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Fuhryous

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
You might be thinking of Medicine Hat? Lethbridge has lifted the state of emergency as the river has peaked. The river valley is now also open, as it was closed the last couple of days. So it looks like the threat is over for Lethbridge.
They said Lethbridge & Medicine Hat on CBC for some reason...but thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Now, the last burning question is how to get there as all the bridges east of Calgary are closed, as is Deerfoot. The only viable route I can tell to go from north of Calgary is to take Stony Trail to Hwy 1 E/B, then south on 791, to 22X and back west to Hwy 2 South.

Or I could just take a 10 minute flight-haha.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:25 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Pretty good collection of pictures and videos of the flooding...

http://bizboxtv.com/calgary-flooding...ictures-video/

Out of curiosity I looked at the US weather warning site...

http://alerts.weather.gov/cap/us.php?x=1

Astonishing number of events going on right now.

Floods
Tornadoes
Fires
Thunderstorms
High Winds

I know the US is huge... but there's 210 warnings/watches on that page just from TODAY. Seems like a huge amount of events transpiring all at once.

It's like all of North America under attack by the climate.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:25 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Profiteering off the backs of disaster victims is about as low as it gets. How anyone could argue this is actually a "good" thing is disturbing.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

I hope the good people of Calgary make a list of all these businesses and boycott them. Truly disgusting.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:32 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

In the midst of all the strife and heartbreak that comes along with the floods... nice to see Twitter folks showing their support for people in Alberta going through some tough times...

https://twitter.com/EmptyJarOfFux

"LITTLE MONSTĖR ⚡ ‏@EmptyJarOfFux 36m

Me: THANK YOU JESUS FOR MAKING SOUTHERN ALBERTA HAVE A MASSIVE FLOOD.. DAMN HICKS."

"LITTLE MONSTĖR ⚡ ‏@EmptyJarOfFux 36m
Albertans are the scum of Canada."

I know there's always going to be d-bags and a-holes but that's really scummy.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfanneedsdrink View Post
I think in our society especially lately with the illegal activities of big corporations and banks and the media trying to ease our simple little minds telling us about a wonderful free market that keeps the world fair and is needed for the survival of our society has been burned into our brains that we actually believe such a notion exists. You might as well start believing in the tooth fairy because it makes more sense then the crap we are being peddled.

It only makes sense that so many people would defend such outrageous price gouging. To actually think that these businesses are doing this for the good of the city as well as a profit is vomit inducing. What happens to people that don't make enough money to not be able to afford things that should not cost an arm and a leg like a bag of ice. What's next, 40 bucks for a loaf of bread? This is not even as big of a disaster i there could be what happens if power is out in a city for a week or more?

How spoiled Canadians are to believe that 50 bucks for fruit tray is fine, i make good money whats the big deal.
Oilersfanneedsdrink, those $50 fruit trays are saving lives:

Quote:
Do you really think that fruit trays could save lives at, say, $25? Please. Try to be logical here. You are letting your emotions run away. Also, why do we even have silly laws? Politicians are so stupid. Illegal downloading and all that...See what I mean? I await your apology.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:43 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

http://globalnews.ca/news/661068/alb...ds-from-homes/

RCMP have now recovered the body of the 3rd fatality from the flooding.

In the video:
"WATCH: Stampede park under water"

Reporter is close to tears surveying the city from above after the flooding. Heartbreaking times for a lot of Calgary residents and southern Albertans.

Old
06-22-2013, 03:55 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

http://www.emergencyalert.alberta.ca...3/06/1846.html

newest emergency update:

"The Highwood River has spilled into the Little Bow River and the Travers Dam (also known as Little Bow Dam). It is predicted to release volumes 10x more than the historical flow rates or more. The County of Lethbridge has ordered an evacuation to the few residents who live in the Little Bow River Valley within the County of Lethbridge.

Avoid rivers, valleys and low lying areas. Follow the directions of local authorities."

Old
06-22-2013, 03:56 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Any updates on Canmore? Are people able to get out of there?

Old
06-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Profiteering off the backs of disaster victims is about as low as it gets. How anyone could argue this is actually a "good" thing is disturbing.
Quite a bit of misinformation by posters on social media as well, to make some businesses look bad. I.e Calgary Co-op fruit tray pic. $60.00 for a tray that feeds 30 people is there every day. No one on HF reports that. Haters are gonna hate.

Closed Thread