HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
awesomo
HARD!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnights View Post
I have never seen the Henday this bad
was fine for me i got home in like 20 mins from 17th all the way to 91st

Old
12-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 587
have to be on the road at 4:45am to go to the airport. hope things are not bad then.
at least I'll beat rush hour.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
have to be on the road at 4:45am to go to the airport. hope things are not bad then.
Any option of using an airporter bus that connects with any of the southside hotels? That might be less stressful. ETS also runs a bus out to airport from Century Park but I don't think it runs early enough for you to make flight. Damn thing about those early am flights is so often you arrive on time then find out theres a delay anyway as they de-ice the plane wings. I would check to see if flight will be leaving on schedule. Anyway heres the ETS run;

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...l-airport.aspx

That stretch out to the airport can be bad. Heres to hoping they throw some sand down.

You should be ok though given the time of night and little other traffic on the road.

Happy and safe travels everybody. Roads are bad now.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:23 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

I hate living here.... so much.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:25 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
On the flip side:

Public Service Announcement: Not all vehicles are 4x4. Have some patience.

Both the slow and the fast are real hazards on these roads.
not to mention :

Public Service Announcement : Many people are too cheap to buy winter tires, be patient. Just because you spent your hard earned money to make sure you and others are the road are safer doesn't mean everyone else has. Try not to get too rattled as you watch someone take 45 seconds to get going from a complete stop because they're too cheap to buy winters.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
not to mention :

Public Service Announcement : Many people are too cheap to buy winter tires, be patient. Just because you spent your hard earned money to make sure you and others are the road are safer doesn't mean everyone else has. Try not to get too rattled as you watch someone take 45 seconds to get going from a complete stop because they're too cheap to buy winters.
Holy hyperbole batman.

Only a complete idiot simply spinning tires would take anything more than secs to get going. With those that fail the stop/start ability being unsafe in anycase driving in these road conditions no matter what kind of weather or rubber.

Really not again with the little lectures, I'm sure we've all heard it and most of us figure its just unnecessary switching out tires for the maybe 5 driving days/year its ever this bad.

jebus

One of the worst things living in Edmonton is hearing Winter tire users getting all self righteous everytime the snow flies and "How comes everybody else can't get snowtires yada yada" I'm sure I'll be hearing this til next spring. Probably in august if theres a hail storm..

screw it, I'm going to invent a zamboni jacuzzi and enjoy all this schnizzle. Free rescues for the ladies having trouble.

Last edited by Replacement: 12-02-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old
12-02-2013, 08:34 PM
MrWoof
DBU luvs me!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I hate living here.... so much.
****ing blows. Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't get the ridiculous dumps and 4 weeks of -30 a year. Or if it didn't last 5 months. Ugh.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
****ing blows. Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't get the ridiculous dumps and 4 weeks of -30 a year. Or if it didn't last 5 months. Ugh.
It had been beautiful weather all week. I was out on the weekend enjoying the days. Warm enough to have jacket unzipped most of the week. Or not even on. It was almost chinook weather.

No Hurricanes, no earthquakes, no typhoons, no poisonous insects, reptiles all over or carnivorous beasts. No landslides, mudslides, flooding(well, not much here) tsunami etc

A few pretty snow flakes people. Chin up.

looky the snow..

Old
12-02-2013, 09:05 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
If the wind died down a bit, I think it would be positively lovely.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
You'd think there would be people plowing throughout the night. Hopefully it's not too bad for you.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
You'd think there would be people plowing throughout the night. Hopefully it's not too bad for you.
QE out to Leduc or the airport is always bad when its wind blowing because theres virtually nothing there, hardly any trees or anything to stop the wind which just blows endlessly across the highway. They could be plowing that continually and it wouldn't matter much when the wind is drifting the snow across. Best thing I think is sanding at intervals with the odd plowing. Even better if they made high snow berms on either side of the highway on the shoulders to try to prevent the blowing snow from coating the road all the time. Added benefit of preventing some offroading..

Old
12-02-2013, 10:37 PM
HemksyCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Holy hyperbole batman.

Only a complete idiot simply spinning tires would take anything more than secs to get going. With those that fail the stop/start ability being unsafe in anycase driving in these road conditions no matter what kind of weather or rubber.

Really not again with the little lectures, I'm sure we've all heard it and most of us figure its just unnecessary switching out tires for the maybe 5 driving days/year its ever this bad.

jebus

One of the worst things living in Edmonton is hearing Winter tire users getting all self righteous everytime the snow flies and "How comes everybody else can't get snowtires yada yada" I'm sure I'll be hearing this til next spring. Probably in august if theres a hail storm..

screw it, I'm going to invent a zamboni jacuzzi and enjoy all this schnizzle. Free rescues for the ladies having trouble.
Ahhhh, I love this city. Respond to a lecture on winter tires with a lecture on how they're only needed for 5 days.

"Hey there. See you're stuck in the snow. Why not take off that sweater and get in some hot water with me?"

Old
12-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
And after breaking my back walking through my work parking lot, I'm done. Just trying to get through the shift now.

Old
12-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemksyCares View Post
Ahhhh, I love this city. Respond to a lecture on winter tires with a lecture on how they're only needed for 5 days.

"Hey there. See you're stuck in the snow. Why not take off that sweater and get in some hot water with me?"
The amount of times I've been stuck in the snow and couldn't get out on my own = 0.

Given that I don't go in for unintended offroad driving..

This is a small prairie city. Driving here isn't difficult. Really even in the slightest.

People that think these conditions are difficult haven't seen difficult road conditions.

Old
12-02-2013, 11:21 PM
MrWoof
DBU luvs me!

Quote:
It had been beautiful weather all week. I was out on the weekend enjoying the days. Warm enough to have jacket unzipped most of the week. Or not even on. It was almost chinook weather.

No Hurricanes, no earthquakes, no typhoons, no poisonous insects, reptiles all over or carnivorous beasts. No landslides, mudslides, flooding(well, not much here) tsunami etc

looky the snow..
lol, it was absolutely freakin gorgeous. Saw some crazy joggers driving across the high level wearing nothing but a t-shirt and shorts. If only it would last longer and wasn't followed up by temperatures that often plunge in the other direction a few days later. Such a cruel tease

Old
12-02-2013, 11:22 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
not to mention :

Or maybe they didnt have an extra $600 kicking around for an extra set of tires?

Old
12-02-2013, 11:56 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 6257
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:

looky the snow..

No but we are infested with twitchy-eyed, machete-wielding savages....right.

12-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Draekke

Quote:
Holy hyperbole batman.

jebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Or maybe they didnt have an extra $600 kicking around for an extra set of tires?
Only in the Weather Thread....

Only in the weather thread have I ever agreed with both Replacement and IATL at the same time.

Seriously though. SephF, if you wanna help out this poor student, I'd be more than happy to receive a free set of winter tires for Christmas. That said, I get around just fine without them. I understand how to react when the roads are a little slippery. And do I get frustrated when people are going too slow? Yep. But it comes with the geography. And with the amount of horrible weather and other stuff that Replacement mentioned, I'll take the snow.

If ya don't like it, there are plenty of places in the world that have less severe winters than here.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:23 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How much is a collision deductible?

I understand the initial cost seems like a lot, but winter tires almost double your tread life anyways.

Anyways everyone is entitled to spend their money on whatever they want, but if you know your vehicle is unsafe unless you drive parking lot speeds, you should maybe rethink having the thing in Edmonton. (Not you, just people in general)

Old
12-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Alawishis

Nice thread. I've lived here all of my life. I've had vehicles that had snow tires (needed them) and vehicles that did not. Some cars get by fine without them most 4x4's can get by easily on all-season tires. A lot of small front wheel drive cars struggle in the snow without proper winter tires.

I had a Celica [FWD] that was atrocious in the winter but with snow tires it drove great. I had a BWM [RWD] that was just fine on all-seasons. Both of the vehicles I have now drive really well on all-seasons. Even my wife, who is not a skilled winter driver , has no problems with them. You can't say for someone else if they need snow tires. It depends on the car and how they drive and where they drive (city, country, back roads, etc.). Almost always snow tires are better on snow, that's what they are made for, but not always money well spent.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:39 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

Quote:
Any option of using an airporter bus that connects with any of the southside hotels? That might be less stressful. ETS also runs a bus out to airport from Century Park but I don't think it runs early enough for you to make flight. Damn thing about those early am flights is so often you arrive on time then find out theres a delay anyway as they de-ice the plane wings. I would check to see if flight will be leaving on schedule. Anyway heres the ETS run;

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...l-airport.aspx

That stretch out to the airport can be bad. Heres to hoping they throw some sand down.

You should be ok though given the time of night and little other traffic on the road.

Happy and safe travels everybody. Roads are bad now.
appreciate that.
taking my wife to the airport, though. she wouldn't go for that.

checked out the alberta511 and AMA road reports. looks snowy, but doesn't seem to be anything we haven't dealt with many times before.

just hope to beat all the yahoos, leaving so early. the airport isn't listing any delays, except for flights to Calgary.
that area seems to be the worst, right now.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:53 AM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
I am in Egypt right now and it is about +30 and very humid.

Old
12-03-2013, 06:48 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I am in Egypt right now and it is about +30 and very humid.
Make sure you put on your sand tires

Old
12-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Matador

Just got back from the gym. Other than people intentionally running red lights at 5 in the morning , it wasn't that bad of a drive. Was a little surprised to see my cul-de-sac already plowed this morning.

Old
12-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

Live in the ne. Took the henday to the airport and back.
No problems, and the roads are in great shape.
Most peopledriving safe.
Except (no lie here) a few jerks in ford f-series trucks

Closed Thread