HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Weather Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
I am in Egypt right now and it is about +30 and very humid.
Maybe, but you have to fight off all those Mummies, where it's too cold for them to move here.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Copperhead

vCash: 500
I think it's entirely possible for people to drive safely in winter on all-seasons but the problem is that a lot of them don't. And there is no question that winter tires can help everyone. You may not get stuck but winter tires will help you get out easier, start easier at a slippery red light and stop faster. Not to mention you get a much smoother ride.

For me it comes down to whether or not you can afford them. If yes then I don't see a good reason not to get them. Furthermore you're only extending the life of your summer tires so much of the expense is one that you would have to pay down the road anyways.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:18 AM
SerbianEagle

Why do people tempt fate? Why does snow bring out the idiots...Just this morning, on my way downtown for work, two idiots jump out from behind a parked truck into traffic, forcing everyone to brake, swerve and whatnot....Seriously, you wanna get killed, get a gun and do it, don't destroy somebody else's life too because their car hits your *** when you jumped infront of it...

/rant

Old
12-03-2013, 08:38 AM
doulos

Some of the reasons not to put on winter tires.

Finances - Been there. Those things are so expensive and there are times in life when it just isn't possible.

Ignorance - Been there. Until you've driven on them you may not realize how big of a difference they make. I certainly had no idea.

Laziness - Been there. "Oh I'll get around to it. Oh it's Christmas already? Hmmm, I'll just wait until next year."

Arrogance - I can drive so well that I don't need winter tires I tells ya!

I am sure there are other reasons (like maybe you believe that winter tire manufacturers are in a conspiracy against you or something), but at the end of the conversation if you can afford tires and choose not to then in my opinion you're no better than the vaccine deniers who choose to put their own health and the health of others in jeopardy for one of the same reasons as above.

Old
12-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Just got back from the gym. Other than people intentionally running red lights at 5 in the morning , it wasn't that bad of a drive. Was a little surprised to see my cul-de-sac already plowed this morning.
My cul-de-sac is impassable without AWD/4WD. We're a one car family until it gets plowed.

My sympathies to those who are getting stuck. Take a snow day if you can. The world can go on without you for a day.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:19 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Henday is a disaster.

Never seen this many cars in the ditches.
I've been driving the Henday since before it was open and the roads yesterday after work weren't nearly as bad as I've seen them before. I just don't know what people are doing out there. There is traffic coming down the merge lanes and people in the lane closest are slamming on their brakes for no reason. The vehicles can't even merge yet and people are panicking, which lead to a ditch bound car.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
not to mention :

Public Service Announcement : Many people are too cheap to buy winter tires, be patient. Just because you spent your hard earned money to make sure you and others are the road are safer doesn't mean everyone else has. Try not to get too rattled as you watch someone take 45 seconds to get going from a complete stop because they're too cheap to buy winters.
If it takes you 45 seconds to get going you shouldn't be on the road, it's really that simple. More than 2 cars should be making it through a set of lights.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:25 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
I think it's entirely possible for people to drive safely in winter on all-seasons but the problem is that a lot of them don't. And there is no question that winter tires can help everyone. You may not get stuck but winter tires will help you get out easier, start easier at a slippery red light and stop faster. Not to mention you get a much smoother ride.

For me it comes down to whether or not you can afford them. If yes then I don't see a good reason not to get them. Furthermore you're only extending the life of your summer tires so much of the expense is one that you would have to pay down the road anyways.
Screw the tires, people should be forced to take a winter driving course. Our first skiff of snow when it was +3 and not icy at all people were driving like it was sheet of ice out there. Holding onto the wheel so hard that it looked like it was going to break off, driving 70-80 on the Henday when you could drive 100km/h+ no problem.

Tires just the bigger issue and that's the lack of knowledge. I have nothing against the tires, but I'd sooner people take a legitimate driver training course over getting tires.

Old
12-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
Just got back from the gym. Other than people intentionally running red lights at 5 in the morning , it wasn't that bad of a drive. Was a little surprised to see my cul-de-sac already plowed this morning.
This is one of my top 10 driving pet peeves. What percentage of lights could be flashing yellow and red after 8pm? 90%? Why are municipal managers so enthralled by the idea that not moving is the best way for traffic to be managed. Anyway....

Old
12-03-2013, 09:38 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Maybe, but you have to fight off all those Mummies, where it's too cold for them to move here.
gets pretty cold in the desert--was out there last night and it got chilly

also--sun sets waaay too early for my liking

Old
12-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
gets pretty cold in the desert--was out there last night and it got chilly

also--sun sets waaay too early for my liking
Fair enough, it is that time of year, when you go to work and come home in the dark...yeah

Old
12-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Dabomb

Count me in the group that doesn't have Winter tires. But hey, I've been getting by fine with my All Season Nokians. Winter tires aren't a necessity if you have really good All Season tires.

Old
12-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Screw the tires, people should be forced to take a winter driving course. Our first skiff of snow when it was +3 and not icy at all people were driving like it was sheet of ice out there. Holding onto the wheel so hard that it looked like it was going to break off, driving 70-80 on the Henday when you could drive 100km/h+ no problem.

Tires just the bigger issue and that's the lack of knowledge. I have nothing against the tires, but I'd sooner people take a legitimate driver training course over getting tires.
agree with you. it all starts with how you drive.

I really do find that people in full size trucks are more likely to drive like an idiot. and this morning, there were an awful lot of trucks in the ditches.

all things considered, I thought the roads were in good shape today. you just have to give yourself some extra space from the car ahead of you, and you'll be fine.

Old
12-03-2013, 11:02 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
agree with you. it all starts with how you drive.

I really do find that people in full size trucks are more likely to drive like an idiot. and this morning, there were an awful lot of trucks in the ditches.

all things considered, I thought the roads were in good shape today. you just have to give yourself some extra space from the car ahead of you, and you'll be fine.
I have a car, but drive trucks from time to time and the one thing I like about 4x4 is the start at lights or stop signs. Other than that I drive the trucks the same way I would my car.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:08 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

the worst offenders IMO for bad winter driving are the dudes in jacked-up pick-ups and all-wheel driver cars

they think they're invincible and their vehicles will save them

Old
12-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the worst offenders IMO for bad winter driving are the dudes in jacked-up pick-ups and all-wheel driver cars

I guess, but I'm sorry they aren't. It's guys in large-ish and large trucks who act as if all the snow covered lanes are an excuse to stop following the rules of the road on the whole. Everytime it snow, they are everywhere.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
U of L classes cancelled today!
We didn't get much snow I don't think but man the wind blew all the snow to us! Brutal conditions, roads are virtually impassable, couldn't even get 20ft out of the driveway with an SUV.

Old
12-03-2013, 02:54 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
This is one of my top 10 driving pet peeves. What percentage of lights could be flashing yellow and red after 8pm? 90%? Why are municipal managers so enthralled by the idea that not moving is the best way for traffic to be managed. Anyway....
At the very least they could kill off some advance lefts after 9pm.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:00 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Second straight snow day out in Drayton Valley for the schools. Nearly got stuck trying to get out of the drive way.

12-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Second straight snow day out in Drayton Valley for the schools. Nearly got stuck trying to get out of the drive way.
You guys get a ton of snow/precipitation out that way. Highway 39 and all the range roads out there get a lot. Seems if its snowing or storming anywhere in the province it is there.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:14 PM
bestmyfeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

i agree with this, saw one passing four cars on the henday using the shoulder....clueless

Old
12-03-2013, 03:54 PM
fysloc

vCash: 50
Ever notice how all the big trucks that you guys are complaining about tend to be black trucks with chrome? You know, expensive trucks decked out with random stuff to make it look "cool".

So it's just idiots with alot of money driving like idiots because they can afford an accident or ten.

It also doesn't occur to most people that their insurance coverage might not even be enough to cover an at fault accident at $1 million if they do property/structural damage along with vehicle damage along with injuries.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:58 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You guys get a ton of snow/precipitation out that way. Highway 39 and all the range roads out there get a lot. Seems if its snowing or storming anywhere in the province it is there.
Yea, the west portion of 39 isn't too bad, but the wind mad it hard made it hard at times. The gravel roads on the other hand are another story. I have a half mile of gravel road that leads to the house and the wind caused all the snow to drift and it made it hard to see where the road was, especially when my Santa Fe had to drive through snow up passed my front bumper.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
At the very least they could kill off some advance lefts after 9pm.
Yeah that pisses me off. I deal with the corner going south on 91st street turning onto 23 ave regularly and it's so frustrating. You get an advanced turn and when it's busy maybe half the cars waiting get to go then you get the solid red no turn while the cars heading north get to go. Any time other than the morning rush hour the few cars there are gone within seconds and everbody turning left could be gone before the lights change but no cant turn and the worst part is the next batch of guys coming north just about make it to the stop line as the light changes. There's no chance for them to make it from the last light to this one before the change but we still cant turn.

Old
12-03-2013, 04:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Yea, the west portion of 39 isn't too bad, but the wind mad it hard made it hard at times. The gravel roads on the other hand are another story. I have a half mile of gravel road that leads to the house and the wind caused all the snow to drift and it made it hard to see where the road was, especially when my Santa Fe had to drive through snow up passed my front bumper.
Makes it real nice that all these big farmers are knocking bushes down across the province getting rid of those nice natural snow fences.

Closed Thread