HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tverdovsky -seen the last of him in NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Bignasti

vCash: 500
Tverdovsky -seen the last of him in NHL?

So what do people think.... is he REALLY going to play the whole year in Russia or will somebody be picking this guy up? Given the shortage of true pp quaterbacks in the league it would amaze me if he didn't get some offers, then again, why hasn't he gotten any yet?

Old
09-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I'd bet that he will be back in the NHL in a season or two. I believe his contract in Russia is for two seasons. He'll wait to see what happens with the CBA next fall.

He remains a talent, albeit a flawed one. Someone will definitely need him, at the right price.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:01 PM
kenabnrmal

I don't believe he's near as flawed as many think, although I didn't see much of him in New Jersey. When he was dealt from the Ducks, he was the team's number 1 or 2 guy. He'd improved his defensive game, and while wasn't lighting the world on fire offensively, he could definitely move the puck, pass it nicely, and was a good power play guy. His speed and mobility made up for some lapses in judgement. Its entirely beyond me why the Devils traded for him in the first place. With Niedermayer and Rafalski in front of him as offensively able d-men, it baffled me. I don't know what issues may have popped up in New Jersey...Devils fans might come on here and tear the guy apart for his season there, I don't know. I DO know, however, that he was really coming around as a solid d-man. A guy that you could play 20+ minutes a game without fear, and who could produce offensively. Theres no way this guy isn't an NHL d-man, and I really hope he finds his way back. It'd be a shame, because he is indeed a real talent.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:08 PM
Trottier
Very Random

My "flawed" comment talks to the fact that he does have some weaknesses to his game, not that he is not a good NHL player.

Tverdosky was a #1 on the Ducks, but it's worth noting that the Ducks were a poor team at that point.

My guess is that NJD may had to take on his salary in order to for the Sykora deal to go through. As you note, the need really was not there. (Not for a $3m+ dman on your third-pairing.)

Old
09-24-2003, 04:04 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
I don't believe he's near as flawed as many think, although I didn't see much of him in New Jersey. When he was dealt from the Ducks, he was the team's number 1 or 2 guy. He'd improved his defensive game, and while wasn't lighting the world on fire offensively, he could definitely move the puck, pass it nicely, and was a good power play guy. His speed and mobility made up for some lapses in judgement. Its entirely beyond me why the Devils traded for him in the first place. With Niedermayer and Rafalski in front of him as offensively able d-men, it baffled me. I don't know what issues may have popped up in New Jersey...Devils fans might come on here and tear the guy apart for his season there, I don't know. I DO know, however, that he was really coming around as a solid d-man. A guy that you could play 20+ minutes a game without fear, and who could produce offensively. Theres no way this guy isn't an NHL d-man, and I really hope he finds his way back. It'd be a shame, because he is indeed a real talent.
If Chelios and Lidstrom retire this year, Tverdovsky would be a great fix in Detroit.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:12 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
My "flawed" comment talks to the fact that he does have some weaknesses to his game, not that he is not a good NHL player.
Oh I realized that. My debating whether he should even be in the league is an argument against the pure idea that he doesn't have an NHL contract currently. I definitely know he has weaknesses to his game, I just don't think they are quite as large as some others think.

Because he's played on teams that I've followed, I've been able to watch his progress fairly closely, and its a shame to me that he's out of the league because up until the trade I felt he was definitely starting to peak.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:46 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
If Chelios and Lidstrom retire this year, Tverdovsky would be a great fix in Detroit.
Lidstrom is what 33? He isn't that old yet

Old
09-24-2003, 07:28 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

nice to see a thread in here which isnt a proposal for a change

Old
09-24-2003, 07:37 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
He, like Forsberg, has been indicating that he'd like to go back to Sweden to finish his pro career. I believe thats the case anyways. So it'd be likely that he'll leave with a few good years still in the tank.

Old
09-24-2003, 07:45 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
He, like Forsberg, has been indicating that he'd like to go back to Sweden to finish his pro career. I believe thats the case anyways. So it'd be likely that he'll leave with a few good years still in the tank.
Lidstrom is not human. He'll probably pull a Lui Passaglia(ie play forever and still be good).

Old
09-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Poulinsflakjacket

Quote:
That is a great evaluation...exactly how I have always felt about Tverdosky. I was really suprised with that whole deal last summer and thought the Devils made out like bandits getting both Friesen and Tverdosky in that deal. He was stuck in a system where he wasn't on the top pairing and behind two damn good offensive d-men, of course his number went down. I would not be suprised to see him working something out and playing for the Leafs by the end of the year. And I think that would be a good p/u for them and a good place for him.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:58 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Rumours say that he wants to lift his home team Västerås back to the SEL and for that he needs to have a few good years left.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattihp
Rumours say that he wants to lift his home team Västerås back to the SEL and for that he needs to have a few good years left.
Chances are when he's going to not be able to cut it as a top tier NHL d-man he'd could be the same caliber-equivilant back in Sweden.

Once Tverdovsky (and Yushkevich) play any games across seas and sign a contract, they'd have to go through waivers first.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:51 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think it's a shame, too. He'd be a perfect fit on the OIlers blueline (but not their checkbook......)

Old
09-25-2003, 08:45 AM
BringITon

Quinn made a interesting comment the other day saying that his team has not ruled out any of the d-men that have already signed overseas. He did not mention anything about Klee???

I don't recall which paper or radio station reported it but I am not making this up. Maybe someone can help me here.

If this is true, the only defencemen that I know that have signed overseas are Tverdovsky and Yushcevich. Both in my opinion would be great acquisitions for the Leafs. Tverdovsky is much more appealing because he is only 27 years old, has great offensive capabilities, and can become an asset for the Leafs after the 1 year deal runs out.

Picture this, Tverdovsky has a great season playing with the Leafs. If the Leafs qualify him after this season he plays for us dirt cheap on 1 year contracts until he reaches the age of 31. If after the CBA the UFA age changes then we don't luck out as much,but if it stays status quo we can have an asset relatively cheap for a couple of more years.

Old
09-25-2003, 08:50 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Chances are when he's going to not be able to cut it as a top tier NHL d-man he'd could be the same caliber-equivilant back in Sweden.
Yeah but what he wants to do is to lift Västerås from tier 2 to SEL and for one man on that crappy västerås roster he will need to be in top form.

Old
09-25-2003, 01:45 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Lidstrom's contract expires at the end of this season. He might go back to Sweden. Or, he could simply sign elsewhere.

Closed Thread