HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 12:20 PM
kmart

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

If I were the rangers, I would be targeting Hillen. He and Oleksy are getting lots of TOI.
why ?

i would target green and erskine.... green because he gets hurt often and is a offensive key for dc and erskine because if u make him turn and play the puck u win even with average speed players.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
why ?

i would target green and erskine.... green because he gets hurt often and is a offensive key for dc and erskine because if u make him turn and play the puck u win even with average speed players.
Hillen because he is tiny, and has a rookie partner.

Green is not nearly as liable in the DZone. He has a solid partner now, versus Sarge who would sit by watching him chase after dumps and getting dumped. Let the sleeping dog sleep, at least to start.

Erskine will pay you back, board you for your efforts.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Tex, I have not seen a concentrated effort to target a specific defensemen in decades. By us, of course. Yet it seems coaches often seem to do it to Green.

And no, Ovi hitting one of their defensemen is not what I am talking about. He often leads our team in hits. You can't read into him on his missions. He is a one man machine and has been since his first game rookie year. I am more talking about a team wide focus, a directive. Maybe its not politically correct to do anymore. One of the many things eliminated from the NHLite.

I am stunned that the NYR laid off Green last year. Remember that one game, he was just getting clobbered repeatedly, and it was hard to watch. But the Rangers stopped.

If I were the rangers, I would be targeting Hillen. He and Oleksy are getting lots of TOI.
Rewatch our games against Montreal this year. The whole team was keying in on Subban constantly. They gave him no time or space, and made him pay physically. And the effort was rewarded. Subban turned the puck over frequently, including once that led to an Ovechkin tally.

That's not the only example, either. For some reason, JoeB and Locker never really talk about how the Caps are attempting to neutralize the opposition. If you watch a national TV broadcast (NBC or Canadian), that type of talk gets picked up on a lot more. The Caps have brought the heat on several defensemen this season, and even in the past. The reason Ovechkin seemed like he was the only one targetting Girardi last year is because that's how Torts and Hunter matched up. When Ovie was out there, so was Girardi. If Girardi had been out there at the same time as Brouwer or Hendricks, I'm sure we would have seem them laying the body on him more often than we did.

The Rangers will target Green once again. It's a proven way to throw him off his game (or injure him and take him out of the game entirely). The Caps have done a notoriously poor job at protecting him, both physically and systematically. That doesn't mean they won't also "target" Hillen, but Hillen hangs on to the puck so long that everyone seems to "target" him. I give him kudos for being willing to take a hit to make a play, but he often has better options earlier on, but hangs onto it until the last moment and ends up getting crunched into the boards.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
The Rangers will target Green once again. It's a proven way to throw him off his game (or injure him and take him out of the game entirely). The Caps have done a notoriously poor job at protecting him, both physically and systematically. That doesn't mean they won't also "target" Hillen, but Hillen hangs on to the puck so long that everyone seems to "target" him. I give him kudos for being willing to take a hit to make a play, but he often has better options earlier on, but hangs onto it until the last moment and ends up getting crunched into the boards.
Systemically*
I believe Oates has mentioned the need to protect Green specifically. It'll be interesting to see if he does anything specific in the playoffs.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:56 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Rewatch our games against Montreal this year. The whole team was keying in on Subban constantly. They gave him no time or space, and made him pay physically. And the effort was rewarded. Subban turned the puck over frequently, including once that led to an Ovechkin tally.

That's not the only example, either. For some reason, JoeB and Locker never really talk about how the Caps are attempting to neutralize the opposition. If you watch a national TV broadcast (NBC or Canadian), that type of talk gets picked up ....
Thanks, I figured Oates was smart enough to do some of this stuff. But hadn't really noticed it. The games Hillen was on special assignments, i largely missed. So I knew he had some tricks up his sleeve, I just hadn't heard of targeting Dmen, an old playoff trick.

Subban, perfect. If teams successfully have targeted Green, we need to target their Green.

Bryan Murray simply used to target that offside defensemen because their "safe" play up the boards up and out was often a weak backhand.

About Hillen, he just struck me as a guy that would get hit. I hadn't realized he holds the puck as long as he does, but do see him taking his fair share of hits. At least he is manning up and taking hits to make the play. Something you used to see a lot more of the NHL.

Perhaps Locker could use a tweet to be reminded to point out what Oates is doing in this series, since this is when coaches moves become much more apparent. Trends are easier seen when facing the same team over and over.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Still not enthused by this series at all. If the Rangers and Hank play well, it's a coin toss. If not, the Caps could take it in 5 IMO....

Old
04-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Roughing

It was probably mentioned... but Whyno tweeted that Ward will play Thursday. Looks like a complete roster outside of Laich.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Ward in heh. While I don't like shaking up two lines so much, I'd more like him in the lineup over Volpatti if he threw a few more hits.

So this bumps Hendy back to LW, Beagle back to center, Fehr presumed ends up on 4? So we are shaking up two lines, or having Ward play on 4.

Jo Nick OV
Rat Rib Brow
Chimp MP Ward
Hendy Beags Fehr

Old
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
BobRouse

In the last half of this season the Caps have been much meaner and more physical. I see them targetting star players (Tavares), getting into post whistle scrums, attacking the net, standing up for their goaltenders etc

Oates, more than once, has specifically brought up the importance of physical play. Erskine and Oleksy have been praised by coaches and teamates alike for what they bring.

Guys, as RH pointed out, like Alzner and Carlson are hitting with more frequency.

Players come to the defense of each other more and more. Green and Alzner going after Neil. Ovechkin mixing it up.

We have been consistently outhitting opponents over the past dozen games to boot.

I suspect we ratchet it up a notch vs the Rags here in this series.

Caps have more top end talent and also have both a deeper forward and D group. Caps have more depth in goal too.

If the Caps bring their A game there is nothing the Rangers can do since they can't turn it up to 11.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:11 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Ward in heh. While I don't like shaking up two lines so much, I'd more like him in the lineup over Volpatti if he threw a few more hits.

So this bumps Hendy back to LW, Beagle back to center, Fehr presumed ends up on 4? So we are shaking up two lines, or having Ward play on 4.

Jo Nick OV
Rat Rib Brow
Chimp MP Ward
Hendy Beags Fehr
4 is where Ward's been practicing so far.

With the depth they have in the bottom 6, I wouldn't be surprised to see those guys go at the Rangers really hard. Caps win a war of attrition between the Rangers D and the Caps bottom 6 forwards.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:14 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

With the depth they have in the bottom 6, I wouldn't be surprised to see those guys go at the Rangers really hard. Caps win a war of attrition between the Rangers D and the Caps bottom 6 forwards.
Thanks. I actually prefer him on 4, lets only disrupt one line if possible. I would like him to play an energy role though, dump it in and pound the dman and get a quick turnover and catch Lunds not ready.

We had Laich on 4 when he came back from injury, and by the end of the 1st period he was on 2.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:15 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

It's gonna be difficult taking a sweater away from Volpatti but seems like thats the only thing that can be done.

Caps have a very deep team for sure.

from lines 1 to 4 is there ANY Ranger line we would take over the Caps opposite? I don't think so. Same goes for the D sans a healthy Staal.

Goalie is the only advantage they have and I'm not so sure that is clear cut. Holtby doesn't have the body of work but you can make a case. The guy is infinitely better puck handler.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:16 PM
txpd

rh, the defenseman on the rangers that you are going to want to target is on the ice against ovechkin. who other than ovechkin would you expect to target him?? i dont understant your thinking. this is not ottawa. the key to the rangers is girardi who like chara will be on the ice everytime ovechkin is.

since you target a defenseman with forwards and since i dont see johansson either doing the damage himself or being taken off that line, the attacking forward is 8.

as for hillen and oleksy...neither of these players are going to get ice time against the rangers offensive players. the key to beating the caps is not to rock hillen. its to rock green and carlson.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
It's gonna be difficult taking a sweater away from Volpatti.
difficult for who? its a no brainer. what is going to be difficult is who get scratched when laich is ready to play?

Old
04-29-2013, 01:21 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

If the Dman I want to hit is not available because he is on Ovi, I am perfectly fine with forwards getting a hit the next best thing assignment. McDonaugh. Done.

Sincerely,

Adam Oates

Old
04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

Quote:
It's gonna be difficult taking a sweater away from Volpatti but seems like thats the only thing that can be done.

Caps have a very deep team for sure.

from lines 1 to 4 is there ANY Ranger line we would take over the Caps opposite? I don't think so. Same goes for the D sans a healthy Staal.

Goalie is the only advantage they have and I'm not so sure that is clear cut. Holtby doesn't have the body of work but you can make a case. The guy is infinitely better puck handler.
Let me be the first to suggest sitting Beagle. Lets face it, he has been solid but to me is not above the rare scratch. Sure he is a RH faceoff guy, but I am not sure Oates is as keen on that as Bruce was. Maybe Locker can update us as to faceoff trends.

Has anyone been unhappy with Volpatti and Hendricks at LW and C of late? Ward over Beagle should be an upgrade.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:25 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
difficult for who? its a no brainer. what is going to be difficult is who get scratched when laich is ready to play?
The guy has played exceptionally well and has been finishing hits game in and game out. It will be difficult to go up to him and say "hey you have done everything we asked and then some but you're going to be out of the lineup"

Ofcourse it has to be him as there is no other choice but that doesn't make it easy.

His puck skills have come around too. But you have to put in Ward as he's too valuable.

Laich will even be a more complicated situation but I suspect it will be Perrault for him barring injuries.

Quote:
Let me be the first to suggest sitting Beagle. Lets face it, he has been solid but to me is not above the rare scratch. Sure he is a RH faceoff guy, but I am not sure Oates is as keen on that as Bruce was. Maybe Locker can update us as to faceoff trends.

Has anyone been unhappy with Volpatti and Hendricks at LW and C of late? Ward over Beagle should be an upgrade.
I'm gonna have to disagree here. Beagle is entrenched. Hunter was right about him in that he really does outwork everyone on the ice. Wins face offs and our best penalty killer/defensive forward.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
tycoonheart

Beagle is a beast on the PK though. So I'm not sure I'd sit him. I was thinking of sitting Chimera but then again he's a Rags killa.

Volpatti has been awesome on the 4th line. That whole line (Beags, Hendy, Patti) has been good. They have good chemistry right now.

I have no idea where to fit in Ward.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:32 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Systemically*
I believe Oates has mentioned the need to protect Green specifically. It'll be interesting to see if he does anything specific in the playoffs.
I think Oates's attention to detail will be everything in this series. If his individualized lessons have sunk in and affect the players' performance and decision making, it could make all the difference.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
PSUCapsFan

I'm worried about about Oleksy. He needs to keep it simple. The last 10 games he has looked slow and made poor decisions with the puck.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:37 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
The guy has played exceptionally well and has been finishing hits game in and game out. It will be difficult to go up to him and say "hey you have done everything we asked and then some but you're going to be out of the lineup"

Ofcourse it has to be him as there is no other choice but that doesn't make it easy.

His puck skills have come around too. But you have to put in Ward as he's too valuable.

Laich will even be a more complicated situation but I suspect it will be Perrault for him barring injuries.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. Beagle is entrenched. Hunter was right about him in that he really does outwork everyone on the ice. Wins face offs and our best penalty killer/defensive forward.
Last I saw Laich's not even skating. He's not close. Doubt he plays in this series so a nonissue.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Last I saw Laich's not even skating. He's not close. Doubt he plays in this series so a nonissue.
Yeah no chance he plays in this series but when the next one rolls around he will at some point be back then.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
I'm worried about about Oleksy. He needs to keep it simple. The last 10 games he has looked slow and made poor decisions with the puck.
I'm worried that Oates won't be willing to take him out of the lineup if he's struggling.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Yeah no chance he plays in this series but when the next one rolls around he will at some point be back then.
Did he have the sports hernia surgery or not? I found one site that says he did but I'm not sure about the credibility of that site.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:47 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I'm worried that Oates won't be willing to take him out of the lineup if he's struggling.
I'd go with Poti before Schultz if that's the case, but what is Poti's status?

Closed Thread