HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECQF: (6) New York Rangers vs. (3) Washington Capitals

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 12:04 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah even if Staul does play he will have to be eased in and will take a while to adjust. Can't expect him to be his normal self.

I suppose they could get by by putting Girardi and McDonough on the same pairing but if they do then I have a feeling we will destroy that 2nd pairing of Del Zotto and Strahlman as they are both inconsistent, turnover prone and lack strong physical play.

At some point Torts will break them up.

http://www.japersrink.com/2013/4/29/...eman-match-ups

"Stralman and Del Zotto have become the default second pair, but are underwhelming in that role. In response, Torts has split Girardi and McDonagh to give help to Stralman and Del Zotto"
Nice, Torts has already been forced to split up his top pair to salvage that 2nd pairing. So that implies his best 2 are split, so each pair has a bulls-eye aka a weak link. Sure they will do some damage, but they aren't perfect either.

I know the formula round these parts is to attack the best Dman (think teams going after Green), but I think its also wise to attack the weakest.

Does the lion go after the big alpha zebra, or the slow weak vulnerable one? There is more than one way to get a meal. Along those same lines is, sometimes its best to let the sleeping dog sleep.

Ovi is one of those dogs. If he is having a quiet game, the last thing you want someone to do is take a run at him.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
Thats an interesting take RH. There is something to it for sure since a chain is only as good as its weakest link.

However lets say its McDonough and Strahlman. And we go ahead and do as you suggest. If it is met with great success then I would think that Torts could bump Strahlman down and insert another guy there.

If we target McDonough and its effective then Torts really couldn't do much.

Either way whats important is that we finish checks on their D at every opportunity especially their top guys if they will lean heavily on them like Torts is apt to do.

If Moore/Eminger make a few mistakes then he won't hesistate to banish them and roll with 4 guys and in that case finishing checks becomes even more important to wear them down.

Oates doesn't hesitate to put our 5/6 out and assign them to Tavares for instance. Torts would crap in his pants at the thought of something like this.

Sure Green and Carlson play a good amount of minutes but most of that is due to special teams and in Green's case the PP where those minutes aren't as harsh physically.

If we compare their 5/6 to ours:

Eminger gets about 13 minutes and Moore 11 and change

Oleksy and Hillen both get a respectable 17 minutes each.

To further show how much Torts relies on top guys (not a big believer in rolling lines) out of all the skaters he used this year there are 11 guys who have averaged less than 10 minutes per game.

The Caps have 2. Volpatti and Crabb both who averaged 9 mins.

Caps coaches clearly have more faith in their depth and over the course of a grueling 7 game series that is important.

Last edited by BobRouse: 04-30-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 12:44 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think the lion (in this case, Ovie) goes after the biggest, baddest zebra he can find.

It's the hyenas (Hendricks, Volpatti, Fehr, etc.) that go after the weak zebras.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:49 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

I'd prefer that the zebras be involved as little as possible. Antelope is where it's at.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:51 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think the lion (in this case, Ovie) goes after the biggest, baddest zebra he can find.

It's the hyenas (Hendricks, Volpatti, Fehr, etc.) that go after the weak zebras.
Rangers have some nice hitters in Girardi and Callahan. But Ovechkin is clearly the apex predator when it comes to that part of the game. Brouwer is no slouch and Erskine hits to hurt.

They are missing some of their sandpaper in Clowe, Staal and Dorsett. Boyle doesn't always use his size but he is far from David Steckel so it hurts them not having him too.

The Rags have a reputation as a gritty physical team. But when I'm comparing the lineups as they are currently I give the edge to the Caps in that department in a big way at this moment. That can change if they get some guys back.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:57 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

My only concern with the Rangers is that they are the league's least penalized team meaning our PP will likely have limited chances. (also meaning they get away with ****ing murder.) Otherwise, I believe we got this.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:00 PM
artilector

To me the key to Caps' success is how much time the top 2 lines can spend in the offensive zone. With players like Ovechkin and Ribeiro, we want to spend as little time in our own zone as possible, probably more so than most teams.

Time in the offensive zone gives us everything -- scoring chances, wearing down the D, generating opportunities for our deadly PP, hiding our own defensive warts.

Actually, while I am not (yet) advocating breaking up any lines, I am curious about how it would work to put Ovechkin & Ribeiro together and just sending them out on every possible offensive zone start, to basically minimize the time these two guys spend on D. So somewhat Hunter-ish in that sense.

I also want to see Erat with Ovi at some point. Right now Erat seems to be an upgrade over MJ in pretty much every respect, so I'm curious to find out what having an additional playmaker can do for Ovi -- and who knows, Erat might be able to finish the chances that MJ consistently flubs. Ovi-Backstrom-Semin was too laid-back and all-eggs-in-one-basket-ish, but say Ovi-Backstrom-Erat could be just right in terms of balance. Don't know what that does to the second line and MJ, but maybe something to try -- wish they could experiment with that in the reg. season, unfortunately it was too close for experiments..

Last edited by artilector: 04-30-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old
04-30-2013, 01:00 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
My only concern with the Rangers is that they are the league's least penalized team meaning our PP will likely have limited chances. (also meaning they get away with ****ing murder.) Otherwise, I believe we got this.
Well there's a school of thought that would suggest the downturn in penalties in the playoffs negates that advantage that the Rangers typically have.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
To me the key to Caps' success is how much time the top 2 lines can spend in the offensive zone. With players like Ovechkin and Ribeiro, we want to spend as little time in our own zone as possible, probably more so than most teams.

Time in the offensive zone gives us everything -- scoring chances, wearing down the D, generating opportunities for our deadly PP, hiding our own defensive warts.

Actually, while I am not (yet) advocating breaking up any lines, I am curious about how it would work to put Ovechkin & Ribeiro together and just sending them out on every possible offensive zone start, to basically minimize the time these two guys spend on D. So somewhat Hunter-ish in that sense.
Who's going to take the faceoffs so those offensive zone starts aren't really defensive zone starts?

Old
04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Our even strength offense still ranks in the top 10 for the entire season.

They can score regardless of whether they get a PP or not.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:17 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Who's going to take the faceoffs so those offensive zone starts aren't really defensive zone starts?
F/O difference between Backstrom and Ribeiro is 6.6%. Plus if you lose offensive draw, opponent still has to go 200 feet to get to you. It's not nearly as significant, IMO, as difference between offensive and defensive zone starts for your most one-dimensional players.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Yeah I was mostly kidding.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

The Apex predator will try and dominate his domain. It's what he does. It's in his nature. He does battle the other male lions, not the lowly cubs. That is the main event. Expect one to just barely emerge victorious, and for it to take 7 days.

In the meantime, the worthless and weak are battling it out as a sideshow. And a vast majority of those battles will largely cancel themselves out. But the weak should fall first. And yeah the zebras will be in our way, calling everything they can.

It just seems that if you can finish off the weak links early, you can get a quick and early advantage, which aids that apex predator in what he is trying to do.

Ovi, the Lion King.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
I'm guessing the line combinations going into the post season won't change? Will be interesting to see if the Rangers do move McDonough and Girardi from being on the same pairing to try and make up for bottom 4 weakness in an attempt to combat Ovi. Still feeling Caps in 6 or 7.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:45 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
I'm guessing the line combinations going into the post season won't change? Will be interesting to see if the Rangers do move McDonough and Girardi from being on the same pairing to try and make up for bottom 4 weakness in an attempt to combat Ovi. Still feeling Caps in 6 or 7.
Lines in practice have been the same (with Wolski and Ward working in on the 4th line). I assume Wolski's working in just to keep him sharp.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:04 PM
BobRouse

One thing we haven't really talked about is the matchup of the bottom 6 forwards.

Anyone have the Rangers projected bottom six handy?

Chimera/MP/Fehr
Hendricks/Beagle/Ward

Is what I suspect ours will look like for now.

MP does concern me a bit just because he's an offensive guy and usually that 3C is more of a defensive guy who can pitch in. If Laich were healthy thats most likely where he would be. However MP does bring a level of creativity and energy to the game so it will be interesting to see how he does since this will be his first full chance taking the reigns. Last year he was a mistake away from a benching at all times.

Outside of that I really like the other guys. Chimera eats up the Rangers and Fehr is a monster this year. Our 4th line is exceptionally solid.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
One thing we haven't really talked about is the matchup of the bottom 6 forwards.

Chimera/MP/Fehr
Hendricks/Beagle/Ward

Is what I suspect ours will look like for now.

MP does concern me a bit just because he's an offensive guy and usually that 3C is more of a defensive guy who can pitch in. If Laich were healthy thats most likely where he would be. However MP does bring a level of creativity and energy to the game so it will be interesting to see how he does since this will be his first full chance taking the reigns. Last year he was a mistake away from a benching at all times.

Outside of that I really like the other guys. Chimera eats up the Rangers and Fehr is a monster this year. Our 4th line is exceptionally solid.
Don't be fooled - that's a third scoring line Oates is trotting out, not a traditional third line. The fourth line is the closest to a traditional third line, but Oates isn't matching lines so...

Old
04-30-2013, 02:09 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

It would seem that the Range has some injuries in the bottom 6

All 3rd and 4th lines largely equal, I would like to think that gives us an advantage.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:12 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Don't be fooled - that's a third scoring line Oates is trotting out, not a traditional third line. The fourth line is the closest to a traditional third line, but Oates isn't matching lines so...
Obviously not. But my point was more of a comparison of depth players from their respective clubs.

We know our 5/6 D is ok compared to theirs and maybe even better seeing how they played down the stretch. Also their 5/6 D will play about 10 minutes a game give or take.

Bottom 6 forwards are usually what decides a playoff series when the top guys equal out. The play of the pluggers is overshadowed but if we can win the bottom 6 forward battle then we will have a huge advantage.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Obviously not. But my point was more of a comparison of depth players from their respective clubs.

We know our 5/6 D is ok compared to theirs and maybe even better seeing how they played down the stretch. Also their 5/6 D will play about 10 minutes a game give or take.

Bottom 6 forwards are usually what decides a playoff series. The play of the pluggers is overshadowed but if we can win the bottom 6 forward battle then we will have a huge advantage.
Oh sure - and who knows what their lineup looks like with Clowe and Boyle out. Caps need to take advantage of that while it lasts.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:21 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Oh sure - and who knows what their lineup looks like with Clowe and Boyle out. Caps need to take advantage of that while it lasts.
Doesn't look like either will play in this series. Clowe has a concussion and Boyle an undisclosed injury (I think). Dorsett will at some point based on my interpretation from various articles. (Stawl is a question mark)

But we are missing Laich so that kinda balances things out.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Based on their practice lines it should be:

Kreider - Brassard - Pyatt
Powe - Newbury - Asham

Old
04-30-2013, 03:06 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Has this been posted on here yet? I am sure it has...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IJGLzqGM1do

Carlson laugh FTW!!!

Old
04-30-2013, 03:13 PM
coyote

The first game of the playoffs would be the perfect time for Beagle to get revenge over Asham and get the momentum going in our favour. Not only that but get every one into the game including the fans. Go get him Beags.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote View Post
The first game of the playoffs would be the perfect time for Beagle to get revenge over Asham and get the momentum going in our favour. Not only that but get every one into the game including the fans. Go get him Beags.
I don't think that's a good idea.

Closed Thread