2013 Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
BeaverSports

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
Don't think I'd want Richards back but if he does then I won't be upset about it. He wasn't happy here because of the ownership problems and the uncertainty of the franchise, and I don't blame him. But it's a different story this time around so I can see him wanting to come back. Who knows though. But like piqued said I rather get new faces rather than bring back old faces.
I happen to be a Richards fan and I happen to think Nieuwendyk handled that situation poorly. Others here, obviously, disagree. I'm going to question those who are all for the new faces though — if you're looking to address your centre situation this summer and you don't want to trade big assets to get a top-six centre, why not Richards if he is bought out?

Who do you see as better options short-term than him and why? Weiss? Fillpula? Bozak? Roy? Ribeiro? Cullen? An RFA?

Old
05-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Brand New Stars

If we were to bring someone back I'd choose Ribs over Richards 10 times out of 10.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Eskimo Spy
Where's Bench?

No thanks, Ribs has too much baggage, and I think he's still skating around on the PP holding the puck right now. I would take Richards over him without question.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:05 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
I keep hearing that they won't buy him out this year but next year(Richards that is). Not sure why that is but I don't really want him back here to be honest. I'd rather go other avenues before going with him, if he is indeed bought out.
The thinking amongst Rangers fans is that the management will give him a chance to rebound with a real training camp and off-season. But there's very little doubt he's going to get bought out at some point. Six years of that contract is too much to not use a compliance buyout on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Why not? His skills haven't regressed in New York, his confidence has like we all expected it to (Happens to so many players who go to New York). Richards flourishes in quiet environments, and while there may be bad blood in Dallas with how he exited (The nicest and most humble guy for years then screws Dallas over by using his NMC), he solves the "second line center" problem.
His skills have most definitely declined. There's definitely a mental aspect to it (Richards has shown to be quite weak mentally during his time here), but watching him from Dallas to now is night and day. He can't make a pass, he can't skate, he can't shoot, can't play defense, and his decision making is extremely poor. I can't even describe to you how bad he's been for the Rangers, and it's not a "New York thing." He very clearly didn't train this offseason properly, and now it's in his head making it even worse.

People will say he was poor last year, I don't agree. He had the same # of ES points as he did during his 91 point season in Dallas. He didn't spark the Power Play and that's why his production suffered, but that's a systematic problem as well. This year he's a shell of his former self. I don't exaggerate when I say that he's probably 20% as effective as he was in Dallas/last year. That's not a problem with the city, it's a problem with the player.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
I'm going to question those who are all for the new faces though — if you're looking to address your centre situation this summer and you don't want to trade big assets to get a top-six centre, why not Richards if he is bought out?
I'd like our 2nd line center to be a faster skater than Richards for one thing. We can't continue on with our lines being a mishmash of different styles. Over these past years we've always had a few lines that skate and push the pace and other lines that want to slow the game down. The team needs to play one unified way.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Caseman

^Amen. This team needs an identity more than anything.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
The thinking amongst Rangers fans is that the management will give him a chance to rebound with a real training camp and off-season. But there's very little doubt he's going to get bought out at some point. Six years of that contract is too much to not use a compliance buyout on.

His skills have most definitely declined. There's definitely a mental aspect to it (Richards has shown to be quite weak mentally during his time here), but watching him from Dallas to now is night and day. He can't make a pass, he can't skate, he can't shoot, can't play defense, and his decision making is extremely poor. I can't even describe to you how bad he's been for the Rangers, and it's not a "New York thing." He very clearly didn't train this offseason properly, and now it's in his head making it even worse.

People will say he was poor last year, I don't agree. He had the same # of ES points as he did during his 91 point season in Dallas. He didn't spark the Power Play and that's why his production suffered, but that's a systematic problem as well. This year he's a shell of his former self. I don't exaggerate when I say that he's probably 20% as effective as he was in Dallas/last year. That's not a problem with the city, it's a problem with the player.
Skills don't decline that fast overnight. The mental aspect of sports is probably the most underrated aspect of all, poor confidence can make your skills you far worse. He lost his confidence, I can guarantee he's a better player in Dallas than he is with the Rangers.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:05 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Skills don't decline that fast overnight. The mental aspect of sports is probably the most underrated aspect of all, poor confidence can make your skills you far worse. He lost his confidence, I can guarantee he's a better player in Dallas than he is with the Rangers.
He didn't play a single game of hockey from May to January. Couple that with a lack of off-season training, coming to camp out of shape, and a fragile mental state... yea I'd say skills can definitely decline that fast.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:11 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
He didn't play a single game of hockey from May to January. Couple that with a lack of off-season training, coming to camp out of shape, and a fragile mental state... yea I'd say skills can definitely decline that fast.
Wasn't the only player who did that. Also, none of that is indicative of declining skills.

Old
05-13-2013, 06:47 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Wasn't the only player who did that. Also, none of that is indicative of declining skills.
His play is indicative. The speed, the vision, the passing, it's all declined.

Old
05-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Or maybe he didn't really decline, and this is proof that when he was here he was just leeching off of Eriksson.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:20 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Or maybe he didn't really decline, and this is proof that when he was here he was just leeching off of Eriksson.
This is entirely possible. He hasn't found chemistry with anyone in NY even close to what he had with Loui or Neal.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
Don't act like you guys wouldn't put Brad back with Loui for nothing but some good ol' USD.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:20 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Whitney - Benn - Chiasson
Ritchie - Richards - Eriksson

Benn - Lindholm/Monahan/Whoever - Chiasson

I could get behind that.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:16 AM
SolidusAKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

I could get behind that.
Would this work better? Or is Ritchie not suited for a 3rd line role?

Whitney - Richards - Eriksson
Ritchie - Eakin - Cole/Roussel
Nystrom - Garbutt - Macdermid

Old
05-14-2013, 08:07 AM
ColeJ

Ugh. I am not a fan of brad richards. No thanks.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:25 AM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I would be shocked if Dallas rushed its first-round draft pick to the NHL next season (or in the next two or three) and if they did, that player likely isn't ready to be a top line forward. I'm probably Sean Monahan's biggest fan, but he's not there quite yet. The Stars need a proven player up the middle for the foreseeable future.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
I would be shocked if Dallas rushed its first-round draft pick to the NHL next season (or in the next two or three) and if they did, that player likely isn't ready to be a top line forward. I'm probably Sean Monahan's biggest fan, but he's not there quite yet. The Stars need a proven player up the middle for the foreseeable future.
That was a future projection.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Are we still on the kick that Benn is a center? You want to drop money on Brad Richards and not make him your #1? All righty.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Eskimo Spy
Where's Bench?

Um, yeah, Benn is not a center.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:01 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

I'm going to completely change gears here. There's an article up on the trade forum about how the Isles are going to stay the course and not sacrifice their future but they do have holes and could use their 1st to shore up their defense, goaltending, or finding someone to ride shotgun with Tavares.

Now Dallas doesn't really have the goaltending of some of the others but could offer a veteran defender to replace Streit, who can pk. Would you guys trade Daley and Bachman for the 13th and Anders Lee? Is that fair value to both teams?

Old
05-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Sign Briere and Richards! And magically sign Jagr!

Benn-Briere-Cole
Eriksson-Richards-Jagr
Whitney-Eakin-Chiasson
Nystrom-Fiddler-Garbutt
MacD, Roussel

There! Offensive depth filled with old guys who will last the season (HAHAHAHAHA) and allow us time to stay competitive while developing the kids!

BRILLIANT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I'm going to completely change gears here. There's an article up on the trade forum about how the Isles are going to stay the course and not sacrifice their future but they do have holes and could use their 1st to shore up their defense, goaltending, or finding someone to ride shotgun with Tavares.

Now Dallas doesn't really have the goaltending of some of the others but could offer a veteran defender to replace Streit, who can pk. Would you guys trade Daley and Bachman for the 13th and Anders Lee? Is that fair value to both teams?
NYI doesn't do that, imo. I would reeeeeeally like some of the Islanders' centermen, though. We could always get super crazy and trade them Benn to play with Tavares for some actual talent down the middle... like Strome or Nelson or Nielsen or something.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Benn is a hell of a lot better center than Brad Richards is, that's for damn sure.

Old
05-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Eskimo Spy
Where's Bench?

That theory cannot be proven.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473994

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8467389

Old
05-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Benn is a hell of a lot better center than Brad Richards is, that's for damn sure.
You call me when Benn hits 90 points. Or 70 points.

Thanks.

Closed Thread