2013 Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 11:05 AM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
This is sports. We measure success by results and not by intentions.
Ok but you were upset that they didn't make an effort to keep the guy. Seems like you just moved the goalposts on that one.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Sure, but it wasn't just about Richards.

It was about the white flag raised by the team on an entire season months before the season even began. In July of 2011, the team essentially told its fans that the team was taking a pass on the 2011-12 season. The team missed the playoffs, and the answer was that they were going to let their best forward walk away and they would have no ability to find a replacement. They'd been doing this dance of claiming they'd have the ownership situation fixed next month for about 18 months. There was no hope on the horizon in any form. That was the lowest point of this whole franchise.
But thats different from "letting Richards walk." Unless we magically had an owner in place in an extremely short period of time, he was going to leave. There was nothing the team could do about it. We were under league control, not allowed to spend much over the floor. there's only so much any GM can do under those circumstances.

-Vagrant
Old
06-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Starsdude

Speaking of new ownership, has there been any indication will be be anything but a cap floor team. With attendance poor, do we know if TG will lose 10-15 million a year at least to fill holes or are we talking about status quo here? Our holes are expensive and hard to fill. 1c, 2c 1D. While the answer may not be named bergeron Bozak Fillipa or Weiss, centers cost money and term. I remain dubious. If Eakins is the hire over AV then I think that raises more questions than answers given the likely cost of Ruff or AV.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:10 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Speaking of new ownership, has there been any indication will be be anything but a cap floor team. With attendance poor, do we know if TG will lose 10-15 million a year at least to fill holes or are we talking about status quo here? Our holes are expensive and hard to fill. 1c, 2c 1D. While the answer may not be named bergeron Bozak Fillipa or Weiss, centers cost money and term. I remain dubious. If Eakins is the hire over AV then I think that raises more questions than answers given the likely cost of Ruff or AV.
There has certainly been indication that they dont have to be a cap floor team. The problem is right now theres really not much in the way of players to spend significant money on right now.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
But thats different from "letting Richards walk." Unless we magically had an owner in place in an extremely short period of time, he was going to leave. There was nothing the team could do about it. We were under league control, not allowed to spend much over the floor. there's only so much any GM can do under those circumstances.
And I completely understand all the excuses present. That doesn't change what Richards leaving and the rest of the offseason symbolized and how demoralized I was when it became clear the team was taking a year off.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
And I completely understand all the excuses present. That doesn't change what Richards leaving and the rest of the offseason symbolized and how demoralized I was when it became clear the team was taking a year off.
They arent excuses, they are facts. You make it seem like management willingly made no effort at all to retain Richards. The fact is, without an owner, there was nothing they could do. Just like there was nothing they could do over the summer but sign guys to stay above the cap floor. Thats what happens when you are owner-less and under league control.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Nill taking the job should be your biggest indication that this team is willing to spend what it need to win. Nill came from a team that was willing to write checks of any size to get it done. Since we're told he could have his pick of job openings, that must mean Nill will be allowed to do what he needs to build a winner. It's the exact opposite of the indications given in the summer of 2011.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
They arent excuses, they are facts. You make it seem like management willingly made no effort at all to retain Richards. The fact is, without an owner, there was nothing they could do. Just like there was nothing they could do over the summer but sign guys to stay above the cap floor. Thats what happens when you are owner-less and under league control.
Are you saying I'm not allowed to be pissed that the 2011-12 season was thrown away before it even began? Am I supposed to bend over and take it with a smile? Where are you going with this?

Old
06-03-2013, 11:18 AM
aloonda*
fear the rooster

i hope we can pry fillpula away from detroit

Old
06-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Are you saying I'm not allowed to be pissed that the 2011-12 season was thrown away before it even began? Am I supposed to bend over and take it with a smile? Where are you going with this?
My posts are mostly in response to this:

Quote:
My beef was with watching the only remaining all star skater on the roster walk away with nothing done to replace him. The team made no effort to keep or replace him. They took his salary and spread it over something like five players to barely hit the cap floor. It was a huge talent void that wasn't filled.

There had been a lot of attrition over the seasons with older players being let go. Most of those were guys on their last legs, so we could lie to ourselves to say that the Stars were going to replace those vets with younger promising players.

Richards was the first guy still in his prime to go walk away. It was painful to watch because it was the first time the team made it perfectly clear that winning was not their goal. Their goal was to stay at the cap floor and find enough warm bodies to ice a full roster, which they did. It's why the team's mantra became this #pesky crap because #good clearly wasn't an option.
They made an effort to re-sign Richards. He wouldnt sign because we didnt have an owner. We were under league control at the time. We couldnt go out in the summer and spend big money on free agents. These are facts. Who are you upset with over all of this?

Old
06-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Troy McClure

Tom Hicks. Mother****ing Tom Hicks.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Eskimo Spy
Where's Bench?

Old
06-03-2013, 12:59 PM
oconnor9sean
Benn & Seguin

Quote:
Tom Hicks. Mother****ing Tom Hicks.
**** Tom Hicks

It's hard to believe that Bill Wirtz was actually a worse owner for Chicago, but it's true. Either way, Hicks will always be #1 on my sports villains list

Old
06-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

vCash: 1075
Quote:
You sound very entitled. You didn't need to bend over to anyone, that is just silly. Sports is just a business were you, as a fan, can't control anything substantial.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Eskimo Spy
Where's Bench?

Just one example to counter your argument; low attendance does afford the fan substantial control. While it may be indirect, it's still real.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Spy View Post
Just one example to counter your argument; low attendance does afford the fan substantial control. While it may be indirect, it's still real.
True, but you alone don't make much difference. Also not my point.

My main problem was when troy said: "Am I supposed to bend over and take it with a smile?".

That sounds for me like a person who takes sports to seriously if he felt screwed over by ownership problems he barely could control or affected his life (more than making his hobby slightly less enjoyable). For me it feels like he thinks the team owes him something when, infact, it does not owe you ****. Only thing he affects his team is on how much money he spends on it, and the money he has spend before does not mean that the team owe him a good product on the ice (what i'm trying to say, being a fan that has given money to the club doesn't make you a shareholder).

I hope my rant makes any sense as english is my second language.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klockis View Post
True, but you alone don't make much difference. Also not my point.

My main problem was when troy said: "Am I supposed to bend over and take it with a smile?".

That sounds for me like a person who takes sports to seriously if he felt screwed over by ownership problems he barely could control or affected his life (more than making his hobby slightly less enjoyable). For me it feels like he thinks the team owes him something when, infact, it does not owe you ****.
Sports isn't important? I hate everything you stand for.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

Quote:
Sports isn't important? I hate everything you stand for.

Great one liner, sir.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Eskimo Spy
Where's Bench?

So, if I give a company my money (and my time) for a product, and that product sucks for an extended period of time, I have no right to be pissed?

Old
06-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Spy View Post
So, if I give a company my money (and my time) for a product, and that product sucks for an extended period of time, I have no right to be pissed?
it's your money and time. You don't have to do anything. Sure be pissed but economics dictate that the only real barameter is whether you spend or not not your mind set

Old
06-03-2013, 01:49 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudis View Post
He doesn't want to Dallas. Wants to a team that offers him one way contract and a top 6 role and has chance to stanley cup.
Source in finnish: http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...01855_jk.shtml

Then he needs to stay in Finland.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:54 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
But yeah, letting Richards walk was the biggest mistake made by the Stars in the last five years.
He had a concussion at the trade deadline, so he could not be traded.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

Then he needs to stay in Finland.
Are you saying that we won't win the stanley cup next year?

Old
06-03-2013, 01:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klockis View Post
Are you saying that we won't win the stanley cup next year?
He'll be lucky to get on a roster of a SC contender, much less get a top 6 spot.

Old
06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Klockis
Our old-man savior

I know. Just couldn't hold myself of making a crappy joke.

Closed Thread