HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Team choosing assistant captains

Old
04-26-2013, 06:53 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
Team choosing assistant captains

So, our team needs to get some designation of leadership on the jerseys. We will obviously vote for the captain, but should we vote for the 3 'A' s or just let the captain pick?

Organizing already takes a ton of time, and I don't feel like doing much more administration with voting. Maybe we should just all vote after a practice in the locker room?

Last edited by jazzykat: 04-26-2013 at 08:09 AM.
jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:28 AM
macgyverthatshiz

if it is adult league/beer league, I personally laugh at the idea of a "C" on the jersey. just my opinion. just play hockey and drink beer, nobody needs a leader for that.

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
So, our team needs to get some designation of leadership on the jerseys. We will obviously vote for the captain, but should we vote for the 3 'A' s or just let the captain pick?

Organizing already takes a ton of time, and I don't feel like doing much more administration with voting. Maybe we should just all vote after a practice in the locker room?
When I was in bantam, each player wrote out on a slip of paper our top three choices for captain. The coach tallied up the votes and the player with the most votes was the captain, second and third most votes got an "A."

In this case, do the same process but have the captain tally up the votes. The top three vote getters all get an "A."

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
jazzykat

Good wisdom here, but if they are wearing a letter they become one of my "minions" to help organize.

Alternately, it is a small token of recognition for helping to do the admin work.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Usually the captain is the one who organizes the team, collects fees, talks to the league, and ideally makes sure the roster is solid (i.e. everyone gets along, there's enough players at each position, and the skill levels of the players match the league).

A's in my experience are people who've been on the team a while and help the captain make decisions and are good communicators with the rest of the guys.

Usually people who wear letters are well liked and respected.

Also, we've typically had one forward with an A and one defenseman with an A. They set the lines/pairings before games.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
theMajor

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkEye View Post
Yeah being captain in beer league just means you're the one who *****es to the league director when something goes wrong and you're the one who is hounded by the league when it comes time for league fees.
my team is so backwards
the captain is the least liked guy on the team, but he put everything/everyone together so naturally he got it. hes led our team in penalty minutes for three consecutive seasons and just gave the second "A" to the other goon on our team. what a joke!

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The first season of my team, the guy who started it was captain and the other two guys he started it with were named A's. At the end of the year, he split the team up to move up a level and one of the A's took over the lower level team, collecting fees, communicating with the league, getting new players in, etc. Been the C for 6-7 years now.

Every year he asks if anybody else wants to be captain and nobody says a word

The first year post-split, he named one forward as an A and one defenseman as an A, neither were the best players at their position but good guys on the bench. The defenseman A moved up the following year and he named the next most respected guy on defense as an A. Again, it's been 4-5 years with them now.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 03:16 PM
YEAHSO
Posturing

My last year of hockey I decided to stay with my home town team even though I would be playing in a worse league with even worse teammates. I could have went to another town and played with my friends on a level above this one.

I thought it would be fun and I kinda liked the idea of being the captain (I figured I would be the captain since I was the oldest/most mature and the best player on the team).

We had 2 A's to start the year because they were wearing the same number jersey's of the team that used the jerseys the previous year but he didn't give a C until almost the end of the year.
So I played all year working my butt off and carrying my line mates making plays that were too advanced for them and I wasn't even getting the point totals I thought I would have. My coach even came up to me at one point after a game and he said he knows it's hard playing with people who aren't on your level.

Annyywaay, by the time he chose the captain he did infact give it to me but the next game he gave it to some other kid before the game started. I gave a piss poor effort in the game ex.coasted around, acted disinterested; I sent a message to my coach and didn't talk to anyone- everyone knew I was pissed.

I don't know why he changed his mind or maybe he was just giving everyone a turn with it... I wasn't sticking around to find out. I had enough of that team.

I know it might sound like a D-bag move but I felt like my sacrifice and hardwork should have been rewarded. My confidence was dropping like a rock too and after I got the C I thought it was a decent consolation prize to the terrible year I had to put up with.

Last edited by YEAHSO: 04-26-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: re-wording
YEAHSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:48 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAHSO View Post
My last year of hockey I decided to stay with my home town team even though I would be playing in a worse league with even worse teammates. I could have went to another town and played with my friends on a level above this one.

I thought it would be fun and I kinda liked the idea of being the captain (I figured I would be the captain since I was the oldest/most mature and the best player on the team).

We had 2 A's to start the year because they were wearing the same number jersey's of the team that used the jerseys the previous year but he didn't give a C until almost the end of the year.
So I played all year working my butt off and carrying my line mates making plays that were too advanced for them and I wasn't even getting the point totals I thought I would have. My coach even came up to me at one point after a game and he said he knows it's hard playing with people who aren't on your level.

Annyywaay, by the time he chose the captain he did infact give it to me but the next game he gave it to some other kid before the game started. I gave a piss poor effort in the game ex.coasted around, acted disinterested; I sent a message to my coach and didn't talk to anyone- everyone knew I was pissed.

I don't know why he changed his mind or maybe he was just giving everyone a turn with it... I wasn't sticking around to find out. I had enough of that team.

I know it might sound like a D-bag move but I felt like my sacrifice and hardwork should have been rewarded. My confidence was dropping like a rock too and after I got the C I thought it was a decent consolation prize to the terrible year I had to put up with.
Sounds like they made the right move not giving you the 'C'.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:22 PM
NateTheGr8

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAHSO View Post

Whats the big deal with wearing the "C". If your only working hard to get the C then your a guy that no one would want on their team even if you are skilled. You should be working hard anyway to make your team win.

For the first few tournaments I went to with my team I was named Captain but at our fourth tournament of the year I told the coach I didn't want to be C because I didn't spend much time with the guys at the arena and I wasn't exactly the loudest and best speaker in the dressing room either. I recommended a guy on my line to be the captain because he was pretty skilled and he was a real popular guy in the dressing room. I ended up with one of the a's, the best defenceman got one, and the senior on the team got one.

NateTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Devil Dancer

I think I might be the only guy in any of the leagues I play in that wears an "A". Most teams have a "C" and nothing else, and only about half the team I play have a guy with an actual "C" on his jersey.

When my captain first asked me to help out I took a lot of pride in it because I was kind of new to beer league hockey and I have an ego. Now, after serving as captain (but still wearing the "A") for a few years, I'm really glad that this summer I've handed the captaincy back to the original captain. Being captain sucks!

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 05:30 PM
YEAHSO
Posturing

[QUOTE=gallyisabeaut;64767833]Whats the big deal with wearing the "C". If your only working hard to get the C then your a guy that no one would want on their team even if you are skilled. You should be working hard anyway to make your team win.QUOTE]

I wasn't working hard just so he would give me the C. I figured I was going to get it anyway but after awhile of going without having one I kind of forgot about it.

Then when he finally gave it to me I felt really proud and excited only to feel betrayed the next game. It was from one extreme to the next and I took it really hard.

YEAHSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
mistrhanky

I would have asked the coach for a sit down and laid out how you feel about it. Find out why he did it. You may still have decided to walk, but you would not have to wonder why.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote