HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Shedden, Trapp to be replaced?

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2005, 11:45 AM
BuppY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger

Here is my idea ... How about Joey Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts as Coach and Assitant coach, fitness trainer etc of the Marlies ??
I LIKE THIS IDEA. AND BELFOUR COULD BE THE GOALIE COACH AND HELP TELLQVIST BECOME A BETTER GOALIE AND WORK ON HIS POSITIONING WHICH IS ONE OF HIS WEAKNESS.

Old
05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
I LIKE THIS IDEA. AND BELFOUR COULD BE THE GOALIE COACH AND HELP TELLQVIST BECOME A BETTER GOALIE AND WORK ON HIS POSITIONING WHICH IS ONE OF HIS WEAKNESS.
Well Ed Belfour's own goalie coach Steve McKichan is already the goalie consultant for both the AHL and NHL Leafs ,but Eddie is more then welcome to join the staff after his NHL days are over in a few years.. He is not much of a people person though so not sure how it would work out ..

Old
05-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Shedden had some high points but also some real low ones as well .. Fergy Jr is a very conservative guy and seldom speaks out on issues .. However Shedden calls out players in the media, and I am sure that bothers Fergy..

Shedden's line mixing is something that only he knows ..However in all my years I have never seen a coach style like that before ..

He did take a poor team and took them to the playoffs and that he deserves full credit for, his playoff preparation of his team and its effort seemed quite strange though. The descipline in the playoffs and all the penalties were annoying and not sure why that happened.
I can see your first point being an issue for Ferguson & MLSE. MLSE doesn't seem to like people like Shedden who don't give the standard answers that prevent PR nightmares.Thats why they hire people like JFJ/Rob Babcock(basketball GM for those that don't follow the sport) & fire people like Bill Watters(not the only reason in his case though). I wouldn't be surprised if your first reason is the one that is actually the real reason why Shedden gets fired.

As far as the playoffs go i think one playoff series is way too little of a sample size to know what you are getting from a coach. If this proves to be a consistent trend after a couple of seasons that whenever Shedden's teams make the playoffs they give lackluster effort & are undisciplined then i agree that he should be let go.

Old
05-04-2005, 09:00 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Shedden is turfed.

http://www.thetelegram.com/news.aspx...&StoryID=33995

Old
05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Ferguson said that Shedden's job would be largely determined by how they did in the playoffs and I totally believe that's true.

I'm sure Ferguson has been thinking about replacing him for a while now. But if the Baby Leafs had made it to the third round or something, it would have been awful tough for Ferguson to justify replacing the coach. But they only won one game so that makes it a lot easier.

I would've liked to see Shedden stick around, but it'll be interesting to see what Ferguson does now.

Old
05-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I would've liked to see Shedden stick around, but it'll be interesting to see what Ferguson does now.
Simple three step plan I'd like to see (but likely won't):

1. Hire Peter DeBoer (or Gilbert, but he's another year left on contract) to be head coach of the Marlies.

2. Send Rick Ley to Ricoh Colliseum to be Marlie's stick boy.

3. Hire John Anderson as an assistant coach of the parent club and groom him to be future Head Coach.

Last edited by Dar: 05-04-2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old
05-04-2005, 09:46 AM
BuppY

Gilmour? I would like to see Gilmour as an assistant to Peter DeBoer

Old
05-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
But if the Baby Leafs had made it to the third round or something, it would have been awful tough for Ferguson to justify replacing the coach.
I don't think there was ever much danger of that. They were a 1-line team that couldn't play defence. Not really a recipe for playoff success.

I think that's why Ferguson was so emphatic that Shedden be judged on playoff performance. He wasn't fooled by the Baby Leafs' regular season record. It was pretty obvious that the Leafs benefitted from an 11-1 record against the Roadrunners, for one. Their weak goal differential and defensive numbers were borne out by their performance in the first round.

No reason to keep Shedden on the basis of what happened against Manitoba. The team was not prepared, responded poorly to adversity(with the exception of game 2), and most importantly lacked discipline which is all-important in close critical games.

I personally didn't like him and have said so from the beginning. I think that whatever success St. John's enjoyed this year came more from having better talent on the team than from coaching.

Old
05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
timlap

I didn't like or dislike Shedden, but I'm not sorry to see him go, mainly because his firing raises a mildly interesting question. Who will be his successor? It will give us a hint as to what JFJ is up to, and in the current sorry state of the NHL, its nice to talk about actual teambuilding for a change.

Old
05-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Pappy

Doug Gilmour is a multi-millionare do you really think he would want to be an asst coach of an AHL team or even the coach of one, as great a player that he was what are his credentials to be a coach. Just can't see it, besides isn't he a partner in a Mortgage company.

Old
05-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Mike1

I saw on Leafs today that Rick Vaive is also interested in the position. He has coached at the AHL level before.

As far as Gilmour head coach goes i agree with Pappy that it would be a mistake because of his lack of experience.

Last edited by Mike1: 05-04-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old
05-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Doug Gilmour is a multi-millionare do you really think he would want to be an asst coach of an AHL team or even the coach of one, as great a player that he was what are his credentials to be a coach. Just can't see it, besides isn't he a partner in a Mortgage company.
Gilmour was quoted in the Star today as saying he would definitely be interested in an assistant's job with the Marlies.

Old
05-04-2005, 11:28 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Having had a major professional career as a player is a significant credential. And people don't only do things for the money. I can easily imagine that many players would relish the challenge of of being a coach, and would be quite willing to work their way up starting as an assistant at a lower level.

Old
05-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ferguson said that Shedden's job would be largely determined by how they did in the playoffs and I totally believe that's true.

I'm sure Ferguson has been thinking about replacing him for a while now. But if the Baby Leafs had made it to the third round or something, it would have been awful tough for Ferguson to justify replacing the coach. But they only won one game so that makes it a lot easier.

Quote:

From Sportnet :

Former Maple Leafs captain Doug Gilmour and Peter DeBoer, the coach-general manager of the OHL's Kitchener Rangers, are rumoured to be in the running for the vacant head coaching job.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050504_132148_3624
Dougie is a new name on the list and very interesting ..

I like that possibility personally, but Gilmour without experience in a Big city would be over his head as coach, however as an assistant I see no problem ..

Last edited by Mess: 05-05-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old
05-05-2005, 08:51 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I love the idea of greg gilbert, I really like the style of hockey he promotes. As for Dougy, or Clark coaching, I'm not sure. Probobly would say Killer over wendel though.

Old
05-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
I love the idea of greg gilbert, I really like the style of hockey he promotes. As for Dougy, or Clark coaching, I'm not sure. Probobly would say Killer over wendel though.
Its tough for a guy to start his coaching career at the AHL level, no matter how much he may know about the game. Has Clark ever expressed an interest in coaching?

Old
05-05-2005, 10:09 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

My money is on Gilbert. He and Fergy worked together before so to me that makes him the front runner, of course he would have to want to leave Mississauga. I could see Dougie being an assistant there to get him some experience.

Old
05-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1
I saw on Leafs today that Rick Vaive is also interested in the position. He has coached at the AHL level before.
I sure hope not. Vaive seems like a pretty good guy, but I disagree with a lot of the stuff he says as an analyst. Something tells me I wouldn't like him as a coach at all.

Quote:
Dougie is a new name on the list and very interesting ..

I like that possibility personally, but Gilmour without experience in a Big city would be over his head as coach, however as an assistant I see no problem ..
Having Gilmour involved in some way (maybe not head coach) would be amazing.

You've got the instant respect factor. You know that when he speaks they'll listen and they'll work hard for him. Secondly he knows what it takes and what it's like to be a hockey star in the Toronto market. And number three it would certainly help to create fan interest around the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
I love the idea of greg gilbert, I really like the style of hockey he promotes.
Well Gilbert has NHL experience so that's a positive I guess. But he just doesn't really excite me.

I don't see dumping Shedden and replacing him with Gilbert as a real forward move. I still find DeBoer to be the most interesting option.

Old
05-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
I sure hope not. Vaive seems like a pretty good guy, but I disagree with a lot of the stuff he says as an analyst. Something tells me I wouldn't like him as a coach at all.
I wasn't too crazy about him when he coached the Flames either. Good guy though.

Old
05-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Pappy

Gilmour and Clark are too high profile for the asst job, if the Marlies who have limited talent were to flounder Leaf fans would be clamouring for Dougie or Wendel to take over, thus undermining the plans that Ferguson has implemented. Who ever gets the job will be the coach of the Leafs starting the 2006-2007 season.

Old
05-05-2005, 07:40 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

How about the Knights' coach?

Old
05-05-2005, 07:49 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Dale Hunter? Ya, he is thinking about selling the Knights, even if he doesn't, wouldn't be a bad choice, he's done an amazing job with corey perry, if anyone here follows the knights, and the rest of the team.

Old
05-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
How about Brent Sutter ..

I think its about time MLSE got on board with a Sutter ..

Brent has been grooming Dion Phaneuf for years and his team goes to the end of the world for their coach, which is what you want from a coach player relationship..

I think Gilbert is going to be the guy though .. he worked with Fergy Jr. in St. Louis and with Craig Button in Calgary who is likely going to be the next director of amateur scouting ..

Old
05-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Mike1

Quote:
I think Gilbert is going to be the guy though .. he worked with Fergy Jr. in St. Louis and with Craig Button in Calgary who is likely going to be the next director of amateur scouting ..
I agree. It makes alot of sense if you think one of the reasons Ferguson fired Shedden was to bring in his own guy.

Old
05-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Frankie

ferg wants his own man. it wil have to be gilbert.

glad to hear they are also replacing trapp. he has been highly overrated since he joined the leafs. 60 somethin years old and has never drafted a legit, full time, good nhler.

Closed Thread