HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2013 Calder Trophy Discussion Thread - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2013, 11:40 PM
McRpro
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I agree Yakupov should be a finalist but he really has no business winning, especially based on this give-me of a game. Gallagher is among the reasons Montreal is where they are and Saad exploded out of nowhere on a meaningful team. Nothing against Yakupov, but I think should go to one of the two rookies that helped their team win.
I'll give you Gally but look who Saad plays with and what team he is on. You think playing with the powerhouse Hawks with a probable Hart trophy finalist doesn't help him big time? Of course it does, and hopefully the voters will realize that. I especially like it when Saad defenders bring up with +/-. You can throw the worst defensive player in NHL history on that line and they'd be a + player too. +/- is mostly a meaningless stat.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

surprised there isn't more Justin schultz guys coming on in the last 30 minutes with his 4 point plus 4 performance tonight.

He is probably more deserving of a finalist spot than Yak is IMO.

Still think Gallagher wins it, best ES scorer this year, great intangibles and plus minus helps him as well.

Old
Perfect_Drug

This Vancouver lineup would still own the SE division.

Old
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Yak isn't exactly in a nothing market but out West it hurts a bit for his exposure. However those who look at his stats will see his streakiness, that his team faltered and he fattened up in this final game plus that Gallagher was as good as that in bigger, more important games. Yakupov has the stats but does he have the dreaded "intangibles" to win the Calder? He'll have his local support but I think Gally might get the support. I wouldn't be pissed if Gallagher didn't win. As long as he's a finalist.
It's more to do with them possibly counting this useless game that would irk me. Yakupov only got a hat tricl because Vancouver decided to ice an AHL team than say "whatever" with six minutes left. That said, I wouldn't be pissed either, but would chalk it up as the NHL going for points over substance, sort of like Crosby winning the Hart.

Old
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
I'll give you Gally but look who Saad plays with and what team he is on. You think playing with the powerhouse Hawks with a probable Hart trophy finalist doesn't help him big time? Of course it does, and hopefully the voters will realize that. I especially like it when Saad defenders bring up with +/-. You can throw the worst defensive player in NHL history on that line and they'd be a + player too. +/- is mostly a meaningless stat.
It's more of a team stat. You can't judge a player using +/- as a main argument.

Old
AssistantCaptain*

All the rookies had the calder on their mind coming in to the final game of the season.
Gallagher puts up 1 goal 1 assist
Huberdeau 3 assists
Yakupov 3 goals

Old
04-27-2013, 11:43 PM
schumway2

FYI - A lot of journalists submit their ballot well before the final game. Don't let today's games blind you.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:43 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssistantCaptain View Post
All the rookies had the calder on their mind coming in to the final game of the season.
Gallagher puts up 1 goal 1 assist
Huberdeau 3 assists
Yakupov 3 goals
Schultz: 1g, 3 a

Old
04-27-2013, 11:44 PM
McRpro
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
It's more of a team stat. You can't judge a player using +/- as a main argument.
Agreed. Doesn't stop people from using it as an individual stat...constantly.

Old
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Yak isn't exactly in a nothing market but out West it hurts a bit for his exposure. However those who look at his stats will see his streakiness, that his team faltered and he fattened up in this final game plus that Gallagher was as good as that in bigger, more important games. Yakupov has the stats but does he have the dreaded "intangibles" to win the Calder? He'll have his local support but I think Gally might get the support. I wouldn't be pissed if Gallagher didn't win. As long as he's a finalist.
Who cares about Gallagher. You dont win the Calder based off intangibles. Being scrappy and stuff is all good, but it wont make for a long NHL career at 5'7'' or whatever he is. 10 years from now Gallaher will be Darcy Tucker and Yak will be Bure.

Old
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
This Vancouver lineup would still own the SE division.
not likely look at that defense tonight after Bieska.

Is Ballard really a number 2 guy anywhere, not even for the Avs.

Cam Barker playing a top 4 role?

Old
SchultzSquared*

LOLZ BUT YAKPOF IS SO BAD LOLZ

HFboards continues to show its ignorance... Yakupov was in the discussion from day one... now that he has blown by a 20 year old rookie picked two years ago and a 21 year old in goals he should be the out and out favorite... but oh wait he is an Oiler and is not allowed to win anything

Old
04-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post

HFboards continues to show its ignorance... Yakupov was in the discussion from day one... now that he has blown by a 20 year old rookie picked two years ago and a 21 year old he should be the out and out favorite... but oh wait he is an Oiler and is not allowed to win anything
Well when you act like this, it's no wonder people don't want Oiler players to win anything.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
It's more to do with them possibly counting this useless game that would irk me. Yakupov only got a hat tricl because Vancouver decided to ice an AHL team than say "whatever" with six minutes left. That said, I wouldn't be pissed either, but would chalk it up as the NHL going for points over substance, sort of like Crosby winning the Hart.
Fine. Get rid of this game and the Tampa/Florida game. As I said. Saad/Gallagher win. A+ That's fine. But Huberdeau winning it would be a joke. Especially when Yakupov probably wont even be a finalist.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:46 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
surprised there isn't more Justin schultz guys coming on in the last 30 minutes with his 4 point plus 4 performance tonight.

He is probably more deserving of a finalist spot than Yak is IMO.

Still think Gallagher wins it, best ES scorer this year, great intangibles and plus minus helps him as well.
The guy who won the rookie scoring race definitely isn't deserving of a spot.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post

HFboards continues to show its ignorance... Yakupov was in the discussion from day one... now that he has blown by a 20 year old rookie picked two years ago and a 21 year old in goals he should be the out and out favorite... but oh wait he is an Oiler and is not allowed to win anything
Sorry but the age of the player has nothing to do with any post season award.

You bring it up like it actually means something.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:48 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Fine. Get rid of this game and the Tampa/Florida game. As I said. Saad/Gallagher win. A+ That's fine. But Huberdeau winning it would be a joke. Especially when Yakupov probably wont even be a finalist.

Yes what a joke it would be...

Old
04-27-2013, 11:48 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:

Apparently they are towering paragons of hockey at 20 21... and Yakupov does not belong in the conversation even though he is the youngest... and bested them in goals and tied the scoring lead... again HFboards logic at work...

Old
04-27-2013, 11:49 PM
McRpro
5-14-6-1

Quote:

Well that was the big argument for Skinner over the older Couture a few years ago. Who knows if that might have tipped the scales in Skinners favor...

Old
04-27-2013, 11:50 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
Well when you act like this, it's no wonder people don't want Oiler players to win anything.
Well thank you... I did not know I had that kind of infleunce... did not know I could make hundreds of people butt hurt at once just by my words...

Old
04-27-2013, 11:50 PM
McRpro
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I disagree with u Spawn. I think Saad winning it would be the 'joke'.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:52 PM
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

what a sick race!

Old
04-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
ask yourself this: after what we've seen, is there any rookie you'd rather have than Yakupov? you can have Gallager, Hamilton, Gallchenyuk. i'm taken Yak, thank you much.

His coach is the only reason its close. as soon as Krueger finally started playing jhim with real linemates, he took off.

far and away, the best rookie this year.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Only on HF does scoring a Hatty against Vancouver is a negative. Lol.

Old
04-27-2013, 11:54 PM
bleed_oil

Saad shouldnt even be in the discussion for the Calder. Just because he is American and in Chicago he is getting mentioned. Milking second assists from the Chicago stars is hardly praise worthy. Yak spent most of the season playing with Belanger and Ryan Smyth in Edmonton

Closed Thread